Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter)

Go down 
+14
LovePyrex
Eljay
Ottopia
jagxclusive
Chasingsleep
Cheeky
sassyjane
swift788
flusteredduck
Suzy77
Lioness82
Tonibubble
Nini
MissHollywood23
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
arna
Part of the furniture
arna

Female
Number of posts : 635
Registration date : 2011-05-09

Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter)   Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter) EmptySat 29 Mar 2014, 8:10 pm

nightowl wrote:
I have a mirena IUD too so didn't have to worry about periods, I know from past surgeries my period seemed to be brought on by the surgery, maybe the shock to the body or having one's organs jostled?

I didn't have a catheter and didn't get to wear undies for the op. In recovery the bed felt damp, I don't know if it was sweat or I wet myself a bit - when I was taken to the ward I was got up and took myself to the toilet for a wee while the bed was changed, and from then on I walked to the toilet and shower, never used a bedpan or had a sponge bath. I still needed to call the nurses to get out of bed, just because I was connected to so much stuff (2 IVs, oxygen and the pump-up cuff things on my legs). The day after the op, I had some apple juice which tasted soooo good even tho I'm not a fan - not sure if I should blame the juice as it's still happening at home - I had a "code brown" episode :-( I had been farting away as instructed when I suddenly felt OMG I think that's not air! I still wouldn't break wind unless over a toilet as I still have the squirts. Sorry for the TMI    Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter) 796297
Lol, I love your "code brown" nightowl! Bound to happen to me if i have op as if ieat a lot of junk food I can sometimes squirt a timy bit  TMI,  I love the brutal honesty!
Back to top Go down
jagxclusive
Part of the furniture
jagxclusive

Female
Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2013-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter)   Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter) EmptySat 29 Mar 2014, 12:27 pm

Graceful, the surgery bought mine on very heavily. Since then I have had a few heavier/crampy type of periods, but my 4th and 5th period since surgery have been barely noticeable pain wise, but rather still very heavy for the first two days. I have been emotional, but then that's how I usually am! The surgery and weight loss does account for a rebalancing of hormones in your body, especially with ovulation. Last time I lost considerable weight my ovulation went from whenever (polycystic ovaries) to every month without fail. Hope it settles for soon for you too.
Back to top Go down
nightowl

Female
Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2013-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter)   Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter) EmptySat 29 Mar 2014, 12:14 am

I have a mirena IUD too so didn't have to worry about periods, I know from past surgeries my period seemed to be brought on by the surgery, maybe the shock to the body or having one's organs jostled?

I didn't have a catheter and didn't get to wear undies for the op. In recovery the bed felt damp, I don't know if it was sweat or I wet myself a bit - when I was taken to the ward I was got up and took myself to the toilet for a wee while the bed was changed, and from then on I walked to the toilet and shower, never used a bedpan or had a sponge bath. I still needed to call the nurses to get out of bed, just because I was connected to so much stuff (2 IVs, oxygen and the pump-up cuff things on my legs). The day after the op, I had some apple juice which tasted soooo good even tho I'm not a fan - not sure if I should blame the juice as it's still happening at home - I had a "code brown" episode :-( I had been farting away as instructed when I suddenly felt OMG I think that's not air! I still wouldn't break wind unless over a toilet as I still have the squirts. Sorry for the TMI    Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter) 796297
Back to top Go down
Wombo55
Wombo55

Female
Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2014-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter)   Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter) EmptyFri 28 Mar 2014, 11:03 pm

Tonibubble wrote:
I was due for my period the day before surgery, but ended up getting them 2 days later, which I was very thankful for!
The first night I had to pee twice, so they brought in a pan both times, they slip it under you & you pee while laying down, which is way harder than you would think. The nurse ended up turning on the tap for me, because I had so much trouble getting started, I was scared the pee would go all over the bed! The next morning I was able to get up & go to the toilet & have a shower.
One of the advantages of menopause! I didn't have to contend with getting my periods.
However using the bed pan? While in ICU I had to use it 7 times in about 15 hours because they were pumping so much fluid through me. I had the same trouble getting started each time, lol, but when I did start seemed to go on for ages, lol. Did end up with a puddle once, so they had to give me a sponge bath and change the bed while I was still in it.

I actually had 2 sponge baths while in ICU (I was there for almost 24 hours), and I didn't get to have a shower till almost 24 hours after that. I tell you, a shower never felt so good!
Back to top Go down
Ottopia
Part of the furniture
Ottopia

Female
Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2014-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter)   Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter) EmptyFri 28 Mar 2014, 8:20 pm

Graceful, now that you mention it.... I have a mirena IUD in so I don't have periods, and I am in perimenopause, but at the time when I would usually get my periods I have had twinges and some lower abdo discomfort like the period pain.....maybe the hormones are different.
Back to top Go down
Graceful

Female
Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2014-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter)   Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter) EmptyFri 28 Mar 2014, 12:25 pm

Slight change in topic but Has anyone else experienced more period pain than usual after surg? I have had 2 particularly bad lots of pmt and period pain. Although I am excited to feel ovulation which means it's stared happening regularly rather than occasionally....I am thinking hormones are changing.
Back to top Go down
LovePyrex
LovePyrex

Female
Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter)   Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter) EmptyFri 28 Mar 2014, 7:39 am

OH gosh this thread gave me a much needed laugh! Thanks ladies :)  A womans work is never done lol
Back to top Go down
jagxclusive
Part of the furniture
jagxclusive

Female

PostSubject: Re: Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter)   Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter) EmptyWed 26 Mar 2014, 3:47 am

I'm with toni on this one. Per my previous post, i nearly passed out just trying to get my undies and a pad in place . Let alone if i had to fish for a dam tampon! If something goes awry during surgery and you're out of it, it's easier for them to change pads for you than thinking about changing a tampon... to me it's too risky, could be forgotten, invites infection... truly you don't need that. Switch to tampon after surgery once you are certain you are ok with managing it.
Back to top Go down
Tonibubble

Female
Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2013-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter)   Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter) EmptyTue 25 Mar 2014, 9:26 pm

My surgeon said not to use tampons, pads only.
Back to top Go down
Eljay

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter)   Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter) EmptyTue 25 Mar 2014, 1:32 pm

Hi everyone,
my first post and its about period oh boy lol

Everyone has said that they use pads, is it not allowed to use a tampon??? I hate pads sooooo much and Im due 2 days before my surgery as well :(
Back to top Go down
Ottopia
Part of the furniture
Ottopia

Female
Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2014-01-27

PostSubject: nurses know about this stuff so don't be embarrassed   Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter) EmptyTue 04 Feb 2014, 6:05 am

Hi there, periods are normal and so is needing to get to the loo after surgery. I am a nurse and from my own experience and from watching many others, getting up sitting on the loo and peeing will be hard work but your bladder empties better. If you are menstruating you can clean up a lot better over the loo than in bed.
Just ask and the nurses will help.
Back to top Go down
jagxclusive
Part of the furniture
jagxclusive

Female

PostSubject: Re: Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter)   Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter) EmptySun 03 Nov 2013, 11:53 am

My period was overdue a few days on the day of op, (preg test was negative) and just out of recovery I ask to go to the loo as I loathe bedpans (always seem to miss them doesn't matter how well they are placed). I am hooked up to everything and they take off the oxygen. Two nurses help me walk to the loo right next to my bed. I sit and go, and realize that my period had started with a vengance! They rush to get me undies and a pad and then I nearly pass out on the loo... they rush to get me oxygen and took a good few minutes of breathing to stabilize enough to stand and postiion my undies and stuff, then flop into a wheelchair (never seen one so wide, but I fit into it!) Then they stopped the next day then came full on again the following days. As much as I hated it and getting up to the loo all night,  I think it was ok now as it got me up and moving which helped all the other things. The nurses were great and I had no catheter. Just if you are possibly expecting they might start, make sure you take a full pack of pads and lots of undies and change of nighties....
Back to top Go down
Chasingsleep
Chasingsleep

Female
Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2013-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter)   Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter) EmptyThu 24 Oct 2013, 7:50 am

Argh I've been so worried about this! I'm due two days before my sleeve date so I'm hoping it will come early and be over with before I go in. Knowing my luck though it will come right on the day. I feel way less worried about it after reading that other people have done it and it's all been ok.
Back to top Go down
Cheeky
Cheeky

Female
Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter)   Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter) EmptyWed 23 Oct 2013, 9:36 pm

Thanks for all of your posts on the monthly's.

I always thought the op would bring on my period. I was sleeved 1 week ago and expected
my period last sunday. Still nothing??

Maybe they have been scared off.
I am usually every 23/24 days so maybe my cycle might revert to normal.

Cheers Chris
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter)   Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter) EmptySat 12 Oct 2013, 10:46 am

I strongly believe that there should be a sign at the entrance to every hospital that says:_

"LEAVE YOUR DIGNITY HERE. PICK IT ON THE WAY OUT AND FORGET IT EVER HAPPENED!".

I had a NG tube and a drain - can't say I enjoyed either but ya gotto do what ya gotta do.

cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
sassyjane
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 557
Registration date : 2012-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter)   Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter) EmptySat 12 Oct 2013, 9:35 am

Hi, I can so relate to you Suzy,i think it gets to the stage of no dignity after having kids,ops etc,the dignity thing seems to affect men more I think as it is just not manly,i don't think my man would like another man putting a catheter in his end bit that for sure.I don't worry now when I go into hospital,just go with the flow and they gotta do what they gotta do,and if they don't see all of you it will be someone else. I used to balk a bit in my younger years but not now. After having kids,D&Cs and various other knock out surgeries dignity flies out the window and never comes back.Now I just laugh about it as I know the poor nurses male and female are just doing their chosen profession,they are all amazing.  I never had a drain or catheter after my sleeve op.
Back to top Go down
swift788
swift788

Female
Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2013-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter)   Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter) EmptySat 12 Oct 2013, 5:01 am

Hi,

I also had my period the day of surgery. I was supposed to wear the paper undies but when I explained I was bleeding and wearing a pad, they leg me keep my own undies on.

I didn't have any trouble going to the toilet by myself, I didn't have a catheter or drain and the first few times I went to the toilet a nurse stayed by the door on the outside just in case I needed help which I didn't.

All the best for your surgery :)
Back to top Go down
Tonibubble

Female

PostSubject: Re: Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter)   Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter) EmptyThu 10 Oct 2013, 6:55 am

Oh Suzy! You poor thing, I would have been horrified!
I was so worried about getting my period & having to have a male nurse give me a sponge bath! Luckily I didn't get them for a couple of days & the first night I got a quick sponge bath, from a female nurse, but I was so embarrassed! I'm not sure if it was the drugs, but I wouldn't stop apologising!! I apologised for her having to wash me, for being so fat I needed this surgery & for lying there like a beached whale! Bet they were glad to get rid of me!

The next morning it was a male nurse that was going to take me to shower, my face must have said it all. He asked if I'd prefer a female & I explained it wasn't him, it was me, it was my size. If I was thin I wouldn't care, but I guess I feel a female may be less judgmental of my weight? I told him I don't even let my husband see me in this state! He was lovely though, very respectful. Helped me into the bathroom, placed everything near me & then told me just to buzz when I wanted him to come back in.

They were so lovely in the ICU, I ended up sending them a thankyou card, just for making me feel as comfortable as I could in the situation. They were kind, respectful & listened to me & my story.
Back to top Go down
flusteredduck
flusteredduck

Female
Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2013-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter)   Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter) EmptyThu 10 Oct 2013, 3:29 am

I had my period when I had my sleeve. I just told the nurse and they let me keep on my undies with my pad. It was no hassle afterwards - in fact, I think having to use a pad helped as I was pretty messy using the toilet for the first couple of days and it helped mop everything up. I can't believe I just said that... 

Just one tip, if you do have a period, wear undies you don't mind throwing away afterwards - mine were a mess and got ditched at my first shower!
Back to top Go down
Suzy77
Part of the furniture
Suzy77

Female
Number of posts : 488
Registration date : 2012-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter)   Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter) EmptyThu 10 Oct 2013, 1:03 am

Catheter isn't normal for a sleeve but I had one a couple of times for subsequent surgeries. Went in while I was asleep and seriously it's a bit painful those first couple of days so when I woke up from the last surgery to find there wasn't one I was disappointed! Such a pain in the ass using a pan or getting up to go!

As for your period, the op generally will screw you up by bringing it on, or chasing it away. Don't worry. I used to be such a prude and now I have no dignity and the nurses don't flinch at all. I even had a male nurse take out a catheter which then embarrassingly seemed to bring on sudden onset period (as in a huge gushing explosive mess) and he wasn't phased!

God I have no shame anymore....writing this on the internet!

Good luck for your op
Xxx
Back to top Go down
Tonibubble

Female

PostSubject: Re: Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter)   Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter) EmptyWed 09 Oct 2013, 11:09 pm

I had too many things plugged into me to go by myself to the toilet & the next morning I needed help getting to the bathroom, I was pretty light headed & in alot of pain in my stomach. The nurses wanted me to call them before I went to the toilet by myself.
Back to top Go down
Lioness82

Female
Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter)   Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter) EmptyWed 09 Oct 2013, 10:51 pm

Hi misshollywood,

I had my op on Friday at about1pm, although I was so drowsy until the next day and had constant nausea, I was able to go to the toilet by myself that night without calling for a nurse, although I recommend having them nearby just in case your a bit dizzy or unsteady.  I still had crazy nausea the next day but was physically fine to walk around and shower myself.   Don't be bothered by th IV drip pole, you just unplug it from the wall.  As for the period, just let your admitting nurse know if you still have it, they will suggest how they want you to deal with it.  Wear some black undies and change your pad just before your op and you should be fine.

Good luck, not long now
Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter) 217555
Back to top Go down
Tonibubble

Female

PostSubject: Re: Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter)   Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter) EmptyWed 09 Oct 2013, 10:24 pm

I was due for my period the day before surgery, but ended up getting them 2 days later, which I was very thankful for!
The first night I had to pee twice, so they brought in a pan both times, they slip it under you & you pee while laying down, which is way harder than you would think. The nurse ended up turning on the tap for me, because I had so much trouble getting started, I was scared the pee would go all over the bed! The next morning I was able to get up & go to the toilet & have a shower.
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter)   Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter) EmptyWed 09 Oct 2013, 10:30 am

A lot of hospital's will let you wear your own undies ( as long as you don't mind them being stained with the antiseptic) or some have special stretchy pants that pads fit in better. Don't worry this happens a lot to women and the nurses are very used to it. If you have a very heavy flow they will even have super size pads that will last through the op and recovery. Unfortunately for us women it's part of life.Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter) 595690 

cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
MissHollywood23
MissHollywood23

Female
Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter)   Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter) EmptyWed 09 Oct 2013, 10:14 am

Thanks Nini!

Just wondering also about having pads on etc during surgery.. because iv seen how some people were required to wear the paper undies.. so I'm freaking out thinking how am I going to wear that if I do have it by tuesday lol.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/nattlesluvsmj
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter)   Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter) Empty

Back to top Go down

Catheters and girl problems (warning to men not to enter)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next