Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

HELP - Dinner out with relatives after only one and half week post surgery!!!

Go down 
+5
Ozcatmum
allaboutme
glenmaree
enough is enough
woohoo
9 posters
AuthorMessage
woohoo
woohoo

Female
Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-01-16

HELP - Dinner out with relatives after only one and half week post surgery!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HELP - Dinner out with relatives after only one and half week post surgery!!!   HELP - Dinner out with relatives after only one and half week post surgery!!! EmptySun 31 Mar 2013, 9:03 pm

Thanks for the awesome replies!
I just sat on a cranberry juice all night and said I wasn't feeling well :-)

No one cared so it worked out beautifully....

Take care
Sonia
Back to top Go down
aliciamichelle
aliciamichelle

Female
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2013-03-09

HELP - Dinner out with relatives after only one and half week post surgery!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HELP - Dinner out with relatives after only one and half week post surgery!!!   HELP - Dinner out with relatives after only one and half week post surgery!!! EmptySun 31 Mar 2013, 11:26 am

Simply take your own soup or broth or don't eat... You shouldn't have to miss out on things because you can't eat a meal!!!
Back to top Go down
Hellokitty1
Hellokitty1

Female
Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2013-01-19

PostSubject: Re: HELP - Dinner out with relatives after only one and half week post surgery!!!   HELP - Dinner out with relatives after only one and half week post surgery!!! EmptyThu 28 Mar 2013, 12:28 pm

I'm at the liquid stage myself and wouldn't want to risk it.

Have you thought about hiring a big fluffy Easter Rabbit Suit to wear to the restaurant?

At the dinner table, as everyone starts to read the menu and place orders, just casually state that you don't plan on eating as the suit hire cost you a small fortune and it would cost too much to replace should it come into contact with a penne pasta.

I think this would be the most suitable and subtle approach to hiding the sleeve surgery.
Back to top Go down
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female
Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: HELP - Dinner out with relatives after only one and half week post surgery!!!   HELP - Dinner out with relatives after only one and half week post surgery!!! EmptyThu 28 Mar 2013, 12:03 pm

If they can't serve up soup, then you have 2 options.

1. Go to a different restaurant that does serve soup (and thin soup at that, make sure you check).

2. Don't go.

If number 1 is a no go, then don't bother going.

One meal is not worth your health.
Back to top Go down
Liz
Part of the furniture
Liz

Female
Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2012-06-28

PostSubject: Re: HELP - Dinner out with relatives after only one and half week post surgery!!!   HELP - Dinner out with relatives after only one and half week post surgery!!! EmptyThu 28 Mar 2013, 10:55 am

I must say I agree with GM and enough. In the first two weeks it is supposed to be liquids. I would be explaining that you are not able to go and if they are family they should understand and if they don't you must think of yourself and what is good for you. You have taken a big step to have the surgery and doing the right thing by your body is more important than anything else at this time.
Just my thoughts.
Liz
Back to top Go down
Ozcatmum
Ozcatmum

Female
Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2013-02-19

PostSubject: Re: HELP - Dinner out with relatives after only one and half week post surgery!!!   HELP - Dinner out with relatives after only one and half week post surgery!!! EmptyThu 28 Mar 2013, 10:15 am

Your other option is to find something like risotto, take a mouthful, chew it to a pulp, and then generally just push it around your plate. Most people don't notice this I'm told! Especially if you add a few ooh this is delicious, taste this and force feed everyone with it, even just enlist DH to help you!

I can't believe the restaurant won't help in some way! Even ask them to purée your food as you have just had stomach surgery but don't want to upset your family who don't know "what's wrong" yet.

Hope you work it out xx Confused
Back to top Go down
allaboutme
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2013-01-27

PostSubject: Re: HELP - Dinner out with relatives after only one and half week post surgery!!!   HELP - Dinner out with relatives after only one and half week post surgery!!! EmptyThu 28 Mar 2013, 10:04 am

I wouldn't risk it. I have family here for the weekend and have told them that I am on liquid diet and I have chosen the retaurants.
Maybe go and say you don't feel well enough to eat or see if you can change the venue.
The next 6 weeks are the hardest to get through for things like this.
Back to top Go down
glenmaree
Part of the furniture
glenmaree

Female
Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2011-05-22

PostSubject: Re: HELP - Dinner out with relatives after only one and half week post surgery!!!   HELP - Dinner out with relatives after only one and half week post surgery!!! EmptyThu 28 Mar 2013, 10:00 am

I totally agree with enough. Don't risk a leak for one dinner and in my opinion neither of the two items suggested are suitable. It shouldn't be about the food anyway and if you haven't told them fall back on the tummy bug excuse
G
Back to top Go down
enough is enough
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 497
Registration date : 2012-09-16

PostSubject: Re: HELP - Dinner out with relatives after only one and half week post surgery!!!   HELP - Dinner out with relatives after only one and half week post surgery!!! EmptyThu 28 Mar 2013, 9:51 am

Aren't you still on liquid only?

I would be telling the inlaws you cant go. or have a sudden illness that day

risking a leak to keep them happy for one meal is not worth it

do they know about your surgery
let DH go alone

its only one dinner out its ok to miss

I have a big group of friends down for easter todl them point blank I will join activities to a degree but will not go out for meals. all undertsood
Back to top Go down
woohoo
woohoo

Female
Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-01-16

PostSubject: HELP - Dinner out with relatives after only one and half week post surgery!!!   HELP - Dinner out with relatives after only one and half week post surgery!!! EmptyThu 28 Mar 2013, 9:21 am

Hi all
Help and advice please!! I've been sleeved a week and a half (10 days) and I have to go out to dinner with my in-laws during Easter.... WHAT should I eat/drink??? HELP - Dinner out with relatives after only one and half week post surgery!!! 697586

The problem is the restaurant doesn't have soup on the menu and I called them today and they said they coudn't make it just for 1 customer...

Any thoughts on what I should order?? I was thinking maybe mashed potato with gravy or natural oysters but I'm really unsure. Confused
Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sonia
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HELP - Dinner out with relatives after only one and half week post surgery!!!   HELP - Dinner out with relatives after only one and half week post surgery!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

HELP - Dinner out with relatives after only one and half week post surgery!!!
Page 1 of 1