lililei87
7 posters
AuthorMessage
lililei87

Female
Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2012-06-06

Sleep Paralysis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleep Paralysis   Sleep Paralysis EmptyThu 13 Sep 2012, 10:39 am

Thanks everyone, much more of a relief. When I initially had them a lot, I thought it might have had something to do with low blood pressure, hence why I told a doctor.

I'll be doing the sleep apnea test next week and see how it goes. One of the doctors I saw (I don't have a regular doctor) suspected I did but I didn't end up taking the test for it. Once that is through, I think I'll call the O'Clinic and let them know as they have anesthesist's part of their team who perform the surgery. Again, thank you to all of you for your input, I feel safer.

Maybe I'm just in a mood to scare myself as much as possible for some bizarre reason. Was reading the complications with the sleeve thread and having mini heart attacks.
Back to top Go down
raniroo
raniroo

Female
Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2012-07-11

Sleep Paralysis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleep Paralysis   Sleep Paralysis EmptyWed 12 Sep 2012, 7:11 am

I have med/severe sleep apneoa, but not really suffered with paralysis before. I told my surgeon about it returning at my last appointment and he noted it but asked me to ensure I tell the anthetist as he will be the one monitoring you for it. They may put you in ICU for 24 yours post op to make sure everything is okay.

You will be in good hands....

Good luck
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Sleep Paralysis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleep Paralysis   Sleep Paralysis EmptyWed 12 Sep 2012, 5:22 am

Hi everyone

I've never heard of 'sleep paralysis' before, however looking at your descriptioins, it seems very clear to me that I've experienced it too. Not recently, but when I was a lot younger it was quite common. I never thought of mentioning it to a doctor!

I had severe sleep apnea before my sleeve, and was put in ICU by the anaesthetist (not the surgeon) as a precaution.

You definitely need to advise the anaesthetist beforehand. In fact, if you're really concerned, it might be a good idea to see who the anaesthetist is that will be doing your op, and call them and have a chat well beforehand. That way, you will be clear about what you need to do, and be more prepared and also feel more confident about the surgery.

Good luck to you all.
Back to top Go down
MarMay

Female
Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2012-09-02

Sleep Paralysis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleep Paralysis   Sleep Paralysis EmptyWed 12 Sep 2012, 1:50 am

@ lililei87
I quiet often suffer from sleep paralysis at first I thought I was just having nightmares. It's not a pleasant feeling I know. I also suffer severe sleep apnea and am also concerned about the anasthetic part of things. Since having CPAP machine these episodes die down. And definitely sleep better.
If it makes it easier for you I have had a few surgeries with a general anasthetic. I've had 2 gastroscopies, gallbladder removal, boile drained. And most while I had sleep apnea and no CPAP and all was fine. And never told surgeon about the apnea but u definitely should let them know. Coz if u do have apnea they usually put u in ICU for 24hrs post op for monitoring.
Back to top Go down
lililei87

Female

Sleep Paralysis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleep Paralysis   Sleep Paralysis EmptyTue 11 Sep 2012, 1:16 pm

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Caz - yes, it is an existing condition but not that well known. I didn't think what I had existed as an offical condition until I explained the symptoms to a doctor and she told me what it was. I then looked it up. People have normally associated the condition with supernatural phenomena but I don't think that's true at all. Although praying during these episodes does help apparently lol.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/08/sleep_paralysis/

BFSCOTT- I haven't had sleep testing done but I have had it diagnosed by a doctor as she said it was also a symptom of anxiety and irregular sleeping patterns as well as narcolepsy and sleep apnea. When I am less stressed and more organized about sleep in the past, it did lessen significantly so I never thought it could be apnea related. But recently I had to share a bed with my sister and she told me I snored irregularly, something I never did before (which was a shock to me). So after finding this out and reading your response, I have decided to take a test for sleep apnea before the surgery so I can let my surgeon know about it and they can take precautions. I hate the idea of using general anaesthesia, it just scares me.

Suzy- Yay, I'm not alone. You're the first person I've met as well. I mean, I've met people who said have happened to them once or twice but not on an occuring basis. Thank you heaps for letting me know that you have had surgery and came out fine. It makes me feel a lot better.

Last edited by lililei87 on Wed 12 Sep 2012, 4:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Suzy77
Part of the furniture
Suzy77

Female
Number of posts : 488
Registration date : 2012-08-28

Sleep Paralysis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleep Paralysis   Sleep Paralysis EmptyTue 11 Sep 2012, 12:05 pm

Hi there, I suffer from sleep paralysis too - have done my whole life though mine tends to come in bouts every couple of months so not as often as yours. Haven't met anyone else before that suffers from it! I am being sleeved in October and never thought I should mention it so will do so now! I've had gallbladder surgery before and didn't think to tell the medical team. I had no problems at all so I think its fine but agree probably best to mention.
Back to top Go down
BFSCOTT
Part of the furniture

Male
Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2012-03-22

Sleep Paralysis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleep Paralysis   Sleep Paralysis EmptyTue 11 Sep 2012, 3:24 am

Definitely tell the Surgeon about it in advance, they may need to change things around re anesthetics etc.

I have sleep apnea and have suffered from similar things ie. The waking up chocking/not breathing/disorientated type feeling, but since having Cpap therapy (ie using the cpap machine) I haven't had any dramas at all.

I feel a lot better most of the time since using the Cpap Machine, best thing I ever did was get a sleep study.

I take it you have done sleep studies etc to work out what's going on?

Definitely tell your surgeon please and don't panic about it, the surgeon and anaethetist will know how do deal with it, but like I said they need to know before hand so they can prepare/plan for it.

I haven't to date had any issues re sleep apnea and surgery, that's not to say it can't happen but the surgical team are made well aware of my situation and all necessary precations/procedures are put into place as to achieve a good safe outcome.
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Sleep Paralysis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleep Paralysis   Sleep Paralysis EmptyTue 11 Sep 2012, 2:17 am

Oh dear - that sounds terrible. Is it a known condition?

I hope you get some good information, that's for sure.
Back to top Go down
lililei87

Female

Sleep Paralysis Empty
PostSubject: Sleep Paralysis   Sleep Paralysis EmptyMon 10 Sep 2012, 12:47 pm

Hi guys,

Just needed some help. Is there anyone on here who has suffered from sleep paralysis? To those who don't know sleep paralysis occurs as you fall asleep and you suddenly feel frozen and unable to move, you want to call for help but you can't, sometimes you can't even open your eyes no matter how hard you try - it has something to do with REM sleep and conscious states. Sometimes you hallucinate. Or you feel like you can't breathe and are suffocating. It's common with people who have nacrolepsy or sleep apnea.

I suffer it from quite often, usually about once a week and so I wanted to know if anyone on here has experienced the same states. My question is about the surgery and anesthesia. I've never been under surgery before and I'm really scared about it. Should I inform the surgeon or anesthetist of my condition? Is it relevant? Did anyone suffer this during or right after surgery? For those who have had sleep paralysis, what was your surgery like?

Just have a lot of anxiety right now about this, it's scaring me enough to wonder whether I should do this surgery. I do know that I'm not going to back out logically because of course I can't avoid the possibility of any surgery forever and when it's your time, it's your time but still, I am really scared nonetheless. Any advice or insight would really be helpful.

Thank you.

Last edited by lililei87 on Tue 11 Sep 2012, 4:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sleep Paralysis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleep Paralysis   Sleep Paralysis Empty

Back to top Go down

Sleep Paralysis
Page 1 of 1