AuthorMessage
Nutbags
Part of the furniture
Nutbags

Female
Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2011-06-23

Dr's goal vs Your goal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr's goal vs Your goal   Dr's goal vs Your goal EmptyFri 03 Aug 2012, 8:25 am

Wow

Everyone seems to be doing incredibly well. Thus far, my surgeon doesn't have a goal for me either. When I talked to him about having the band out, he questioned why I was unhappy with my weight loss with the band. Whilst he agreed to do the sleeve, I don't think a skinny person will every get what it is like to struggle with a life time of weight issues. Whilst I wasn't unhappy, I had good weight loss, I was getting really scarred, because with the second band, I have struggled to maintain and the weight has been creeping on because it just didn't work.

I started at 150kg pre-band and got down to 80 kg with my first band. Then the first band failed and I had a slip. I then got the second band and I fluctuated between 85-95kg up and down several times with the second band ... but now I have topped out at 100kg again.

I would be absolutely estatic to be down to about 70kg, which would still have me at overweight but hopefully at about a size 12. At the end of the day, we know what feels OK for us and it has to be maintainable. The whole point of this is to stop struggling with the dieting.

Good luck everyone.
Back to top Go down
ren77
ren77

Female
Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2012-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Dr's goal vs Your goal   Dr's goal vs Your goal EmptyThu 02 Aug 2012, 11:58 pm

Oh yes I would love to drop a shoe size too!!
Back to top Go down
Zenna
Part of the furniture
Zenna

Female
Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2012-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Dr's goal vs Your goal   Dr's goal vs Your goal EmptyThu 02 Aug 2012, 9:56 pm

Mammabear glad to know your shoe size goes down, My feet were very swollen and couldn't fit into anything. The swelling has already subsided but they have a way to go. That is a great weight loss in a year. I am working on a year plan as well and then maintenence.

Jodie I saw my doc yesterday for my post op visit and I did ask about a goal but he was a bit vague"under 80 in the 70's" I am already at 89 and I am prepared to work hard so I figure I can get to around 65ish. That would put me in a healthy range. Lots of people here have done similar and greater losses and so can I . They watch what they eat and correct for any gains.

Red I am sure the doc would love for us to walk in and say I did it.

I am sure they set the goal low so we feel successful and then that reflects upon the surgery as successful as well.
Back to top Go down
NormalNow
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2011-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Dr's goal vs Your goal   Dr's goal vs Your goal EmptyThu 02 Aug 2012, 8:52 pm

Weight goals were never really a topic with my surgeon, which actually really suited me. He wrote in my notes he expected me to get to 70 kgs, which still has me as overweight on the bmi scale, but he felt that was an achievable number based on his stats from precious patients and my frame.

Both he and the dietician asked me my goal and I wouldn't give one, I simply couldn't imagine weighing less than 90, Let alone less than 80 or the 70s.

The surgeon never pushed the issue with me, but the dietician did, she was insistent that I have a goal and to share it with her.

It has only been in the last month that I've felt I might actually reach 70 and lower, so I've set my goal to the upper limit of my healthy bmi range, but I don't see this figure as the final prize, I know bmi is innacurate and I know I may never get there, but I finally felt I needed a figure to aim for.
Back to top Go down
mammabear25
Part of the furniture
mammabear25

Female
Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2011-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Dr's goal vs Your goal   Dr's goal vs Your goal EmptySun 29 Jul 2012, 11:05 am

Honesty the goal you set is yours, if you go by the BMI it feels so daunting to get to that weight range, and from my experience with the BMI, its just another scale you have to live by, if the scales every week aint bad enough you need to be told that you need to weigh this so you are healthy....which i disagree....once the weight starts falling off most if not all of your health issues may be eliminated, with the guidance of your GP/surgeon., (again this depends on most not all)

My surgeon has never asked, just took a few measurements and weighed me, first app was 110.3kg, and now I am 69kg which I am celebrating my first year anniversary on Wed 1st Aug....and I am now finished...I reached MY goal on 329 days, at 70kg...so a loss of 40kg....he now encourages me to maintain this weight for the next 6 months but I have had no pressure from him or my GP to be smaller.....my health issues have disappeared....and I am very happy where I am now...everyone has an idea on where they want to be....I wear a size 12 bottoms (which are loose) and smalls in tops, dropped a shoe size....and I look good lol

Good luck with your surgery:)
Back to top Go down
Red5
Part of the furniture
Red5

Female
Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2012-05-10

PostSubject: Re: Dr's goal vs Your goal   Dr's goal vs Your goal EmptySun 29 Jul 2012, 10:11 am

My doctor set mine at 73kgs which we worked out based on BMI I think at about 25. I'd like to get a little lower maybe mid - high 60's, whatever gets me to an average size 12. He said that ut was achieveable and that my goal was too low. I'm aiming for his goal for now and will then see where I can get to
Back to top Go down
jodie284

Female
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Dr's goal vs Your goal   Dr's goal vs Your goal EmptySun 29 Jul 2012, 9:04 am

Thanks very much for your replies ladies.

I guess I should take it day by day and trust that the Dr knows what he is talking about when he sets the goals.
Back to top Go down
JPC
Part of the furniture
JPC

Female
Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Dr's goal vs Your goal   Dr's goal vs Your goal EmptySun 29 Jul 2012, 8:26 am

Hi Jodie,

My goal, after a start at over 170 kg wsa to get to 90, my surgeon said 85. He explained that at 85 kg I will remain in the obese range but the secondary health conditions that I expereince will either no longer be an issue, or much easier managed.

However, when working out my BMI, I would need to be at 70kg to be on the upper end of healthy. When I queried why he recommended a weight that left me still so overweight he indicated that most people will srop to a size that the body finds acceptable and hover within a few kgs. He indicated he had set me higher so (a) I would be happy if I got lower, but (b) wouild not be stressed if my body cut out at 85.

Hope that makes sense

Cheers, Janet
Back to top Go down
mrspotatohead

Female
Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2012-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Dr's goal vs Your goal   Dr's goal vs Your goal EmptySun 29 Jul 2012, 3:02 am

Hi Jodie,

I know exactly what you are talking about. A lot of us have found our doctors have given us goals that are not quite as high as we want them. (ie we want to loose more weight than they are suggesting). I brought this subject up with my surgon and he said hopefully i will be able to surpase his goal for me but he sets them the way he does for 2 reasons.

1. he had a formular of past peoples weight loss success and picked my goal on the average amount of weight loss his clients have.

2. He said his clients have all tried and failed at so many diets in the past he wnats them to reach this goal so they dont feel like a failure.

So in short i am sure you can get to your goal of 80kg, it will be hard work but you can do it if you use your sleeve to its potential.

Good luck on monday :)
Back to top Go down
jodie284

Female
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-07-16

PostSubject: Dr's goal vs Your goal   Dr's goal vs Your goal EmptySun 29 Jul 2012, 1:41 am

Hi Everyone,

I am getting sleeved on Monday and was thinking about the goal your Dr gave you weight wise vs your personal goal.

Was it very different? Did you feel their goal was an 'easier' target? Did you give yourself a stricter goal?

At my Dr's appointment I weighed 156Kg, his goal for me is 105Kg - my goal is 80kg. I was thinking seeing as I am now 145Kg (on Optislim) that the loss of 40kg would be really obtainable and be able to get past his goal to my own.

Maybe I have it wrong in my mind, maybe I think this will be easier than it really is?

Any and all opinions and sharing of your goals and your Dr's goals will be greatly appreciated.

Jodie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dr's goal vs Your goal   Dr's goal vs Your goal Empty

Back to top Go down

Dr's goal vs Your goal
Page 1 of 1