AuthorMessage
MiddleWoman
Part of the furniture
MiddleWoman

Female
Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2010-12-17

sleep apnea and surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: sleep apnea and surgery   sleep apnea and surgery EmptyWed 01 Aug 2012, 7:56 am

I had a CPAP for a couple of months before surgery - it was wonderful. After I lost my 40kgs, I had a follow-up study done and my apnoea had completely resolved itself.

The ONLY unpleasant thing about my surgery was when I was in recovery - because I had been in such a deep sleep under the anaesthesia, it was actually really hard to breathe while coming out of it. It was one thing I really wouldn't like to experience again.

Of course, I was being very well monitored and it was easily and quickly resolved when I was able to (groggily) make someone understand that I needed my CPAP hooked up, but it was very confronting all the same.

As others have suggested, I would recommend following through with your diagnosis and then hire a CPAP for the surgery and a couple of months after. As you lose weight, it is likely (though not guaranteed) that you will no longer need it.

All the best!

MiddleWoman
Back to top Go down
Strawberrychick
Top Poster
Top Poster
Strawberrychick

Female
Number of posts : 1211
Registration date : 2012-02-16

PostSubject: Re: sleep apnea and surgery   sleep apnea and surgery EmptyTue 31 Jul 2012, 2:00 pm

I'm very much hoping I can come off the CPAP machine when I lose enough weight. For me the biggest issue is that I can't always travel where I want to travel - ie third world countries can't always be relied on to have constant electricity etc. It's a pain having to find adapters etc also when I travel. I would love to be without it in time - fingers crossed hey!
Back to top Go down
vicki007
vicki007

Female
Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2012-07-18

PostSubject: Re: sleep apnea and surgery   sleep apnea and surgery EmptyTue 31 Jul 2012, 1:51 pm

Hey Brad
I too have a CPAP, and Dr said for me to also come back and I might be able to come off it when I loose about 60kg. Will have to have another sleep study done as mine is pretty bad and I sleep on very high setting.
We will keep in touch and compare notes

Cheers
Vicki sleep apnea and surgery 217555
Back to top Go down
BRAD D
BRAD D

Male
Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2012-04-12

PostSubject: Re: sleep apnea and surgery   sleep apnea and surgery EmptyTue 31 Jul 2012, 1:46 pm

Thanks for the feedback you great people ... we sound very much alike in our cpap pain !!! It's just a pain up the ort when you go overseas you have to carry it as hand luggage ... I used to find the only good thing about it was when you went away with ya mates to the cricket or footy or golfing you always got the best bed in the hotel room because no bastard wanted to sleep with ya and they were scared ya snoring would keep em up all night .... SUCKERS !!!!

Keep me posted please both of you on your progress towards your sleeving ... I can't stress enough it's a big decision to make but if your certain it's what you want there's no way in the world you'll regret it .. the journey in UNREAL !!!

Cheers and all the best .... Brad

sleep apnea and surgery 314562 sleep apnea and surgery 65317 sleep apnea and surgery 120705 sleep apnea and surgery 595828
Back to top Go down
JPC
Part of the furniture
JPC

Female
Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: sleep apnea and surgery   sleep apnea and surgery EmptyTue 31 Jul 2012, 6:09 am

G'day Brad,

I too am on the CPAP and spoke to my Sleep Dr last week. He indicated that when I am nearing goal weight then I should go and have another sleep study done to determine if losing the weight has cured the problem. He explained that some people lose weight and no longer need the machine, but some still need it as an ongoing concern as their apnoea is not related to weight.

What do the skinny people with apnoea have their condition blamed on??

Cheers, Janet
Back to top Go down
BFSCOTT
Part of the furniture

Male
Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2012-03-22

PostSubject: Re: sleep apnea and surgery   sleep apnea and surgery EmptyMon 30 Jul 2012, 10:16 pm

BRAD D wrote:
I'd be interested to find out how long and how many kilos later did people who suffer from sleep apnoea actually ditch the cpap machine ?? I've had one for 9 years now and it's like a security blanket .. it goes wherever I go which makes it hard to go camping or anywhere without power.

I had a crack without it on Saturday night but just after falling asleep I woke up with a bad case of indigestion which kept me up for 3 hours ... so back to bed with the machine ... again last night after a quite a few bourbons fell asleep in bed watching tv .. the wife didn't wake me up straight away but when I moved on to my back had a few interuptions and she woke me up and ... back on the machine !!

I'm 3 months out and 25kg down and the fat around my throat area has almost gone ...

Any suggestions gladly appreciated.

Cheers Brad

G'day Brad,

You sound a lot like me mate, I've been on a Cpap machine for about 6-7yrs I guess (can't remember its been that bloody long) I also use it every night without fail, I can't seem to fall asleep without it now - I hear you re camping etc, really makes it difficult if no electricity is available, I use a small genie in that case, but battery packs etc are available for Cpap machines just have a look around on the Net you will find them.

I'm still waiting for my op to happen so can't help with how long it takes re weight loss and if you can stop using Cpap. I'm hoping it will happen, I'm more concerned with having to stay on it for life, not that it's a problem when at home etc just when away in the bush its a bit of a hassle.

Anyway mate good luck with everything and I hope you can come of the Cpap machine soon.

Cheers
Scott
Back to top Go down
BRAD D
BRAD D

Male
Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2012-04-12

PostSubject: Re: sleep apnea and surgery   sleep apnea and surgery EmptyMon 30 Jul 2012, 2:54 pm

I'd be interested to find out how long and how many kilos later did people who suffer from sleep apnoea actually ditch the cpap machine ?? I've had one for 9 years now and it's like a security blanket .. it goes wherever I go which makes it hard to go camping or anywhere without power.

I had a crack without it on Saturday night but just after falling asleep I woke up with a bad case of indigestion which kept me up for 3 hours ... so back to bed with the machine ... again last night after a quite a few bourbons fell asleep in bed watching tv .. the wife didn't wake me up straight away but when I moved on to my back had a few interuptions and she woke me up and ... back on the machine !!

I'm 3 months out and 25kg down and the fat around my throat area has almost gone ...

Any suggestions gladly appreciated.

Cheers Brad
Back to top Go down
BFSCOTT
Part of the furniture

Male

PostSubject: Re: sleep apnea and surgery   sleep apnea and surgery EmptyMon 30 Jul 2012, 7:43 am

curvycass wrote:
i have not been sleeved yet, only 4 weeks to go, but i do have very mild sleep apnea (self diagnoised) i never actually did the sleep study test, but my boyfriend notices that sometimes i might stop breathing and i wake myself up, i told my surgeon this on my first consultation and he told me that for my stay in hospital atleast for the first night i would be in ICU just to make sure i am sleeping ok after being put under and having to lay on my back (i feels makes it worse). i am a bit concerned now weather i should hire a machine to take to hospital, my surgeon never mentioned anything about that.

Hi Curvycass

It's not as simple as that unfortunately, you need to do a sleep study to first ascertain whether you have SA or not and if so they then need to work out how bad and then they need to fit you for a mask that you can tolerate, then they have to work out what pressure is needed to keep the airways open so the apnea's stop happening.

At this late stage I wouldn't worry about it - I think you have left it too late to do all the tests etc, plus I wouldn't be surprised if once you had the op and lost some weight the apnea's stop happening, which is quite often the case when people loose weight. And the upside of waiting is that it could save you at least $1000+ as the machines, Masks etc are quite expensive depending on what type you get.
Back to top Go down
vicki007
vicki007

Female
Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2012-07-18

PostSubject: Re: sleep apnea and surgery   sleep apnea and surgery EmptyMon 30 Jul 2012, 4:30 am

Katie,
I too have APNEA, and everywhere I go my CPAP is with me, has been for some years now. I am the same as Janet,, I will have to go to HDU after surgery for them to monitor me, but if you are concerned go and have a sleep study. Also everyone is different.
Vicki sleep apnea and surgery 217555
Back to top Go down
JPC
Part of the furniture
JPC

Female
Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: sleep apnea and surgery   sleep apnea and surgery EmptyMon 30 Jul 2012, 3:31 am

Hi Katie,

I have severe sleep apnoea and a heart condition and the surgeon is not concerned. I have to take the machine with me and will be in ICU for most of my stay to monitor my heart (and the sleep apnoea) but he indicated the apnoea is not an issue.

Have a chat with your surgeon, and good luck

Cheers, Janet
Back to top Go down
J
Part of the furniture
J

Male
Number of posts : 761
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: sleep apnea and surgery   sleep apnea and surgery EmptyMon 30 Jul 2012, 2:57 am

If your surgeon hasn't sent you for a sleep study test then I wouldn't be to worried about it at all.

Like I said I did the test was diagnosed with it and took the machine to hospital and they didn't even use it.

If you really are that worried about it go book yourself for a sleep study test and see how bad the apnea is.

Back to top Go down
curvycass
curvycass

Female
Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2012-07-25

PostSubject: Re: sleep apnea and surgery   sleep apnea and surgery EmptyMon 30 Jul 2012, 2:39 am

i have not been sleeved yet, only 4 weeks to go, but i do have very mild sleep apnea (self diagnoised) i never actually did the sleep study test, but my boyfriend notices that sometimes i might stop breathing and i wake myself up, i told my surgeon this on my first consultation and he told me that for my stay in hospital atleast for the first night i would be in ICU just to make sure i am sleeping ok after being put under and having to lay on my back (i feels makes it worse). i am a bit concerned now weather i should hire a machine to take to hospital, my surgeon never mentioned anything about that.
Back to top Go down
J
Part of the furniture
J

Male
Number of posts : 761
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: sleep apnea and surgery   sleep apnea and surgery EmptyTue 24 Jul 2012, 6:10 am

Feel free to read my diary if you want to enjoy the tails of joy that sleep apnea can bring you..

I suffer / suffered from it pre-sleeve and was basically black mailed and guilted by sleep services Aust. They told me I'd have to spend $2500 on a CPAP machine or they'd tell my surgeon not to perform the operation on me.

Needless to say I never bought the machine and they were told where to go :)

I wouldn't go buy one, I hired mine for a couple of weeks just to take to hospital with me. They didn't even end up using it so I took it back unused.

Back to top Go down
katie B
katie B

Female
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2012-07-10

PostSubject: Re: sleep apnea and surgery   sleep apnea and surgery EmptyTue 24 Jul 2012, 5:41 am

Thank-you Scott and strawberrychick

Firstly for your wonderfully quick reply
Secondly for the relief you have just give.

Thanks heaps
Hope your having a lovely day

Cheers
Katie
Back to top Go down
Strawberrychick
Top Poster
Top Poster
Strawberrychick

Female
Number of posts : 1211
Registration date : 2012-02-16

PostSubject: Re: sleep apnea and surgery   sleep apnea and surgery EmptyTue 24 Jul 2012, 5:38 am

Hi Katie

It'll be fine, there is no problem having the surgery when you have sleep apnoea. I have severe sleep apnoea and just made sure that I mentioned it to both the surgeon and the anaesthetist. What they get you to do is take the CPAP machine into theatre with you, although I don't think they used it for me - probably a precaution in case they need it? Because I have severe sleep apnoea they put me in ICU the first night post-surgery just to keep an eye on me.

If you do decide not to get a CPAP machine, I'd recommend you make sure you tell them this too. I think it's worth getting though, because you feel a lot better when you have one. If you think it's not worth it because you will only need it in the short term, you can hire them instead. That might be a good option for you?

Best of luck with your surgery :)
Back to top Go down
BFSCOTT
Part of the furniture

Male

PostSubject: Re: sleep apnea and surgery   sleep apnea and surgery EmptyTue 24 Jul 2012, 5:27 am

Yes I'm sure you will fine to have the op - just speak to the surgeon, I would also hold off buying a machine until the op is done as you may not need it after a few months of weight loss.

I myself have severe sleep apnea and use a machine each night, I've got to take my machine into hospital when the op is done, which is fine as I can't sleep without the bloody thing now.

Anyway have a word to the surgeon and see what he says, that's the best thing to do.

Cheers
Scott
Back to top Go down
katie B
katie B

Female
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2012-07-10

PostSubject: sleep apnea and surgery   sleep apnea and surgery EmptyTue 24 Jul 2012, 5:00 am

Hi everyone. I've kust had the sleep study guy ring me to let me know my test has come back and that I have mild to moderate sleep apnea. Told me that he was going to forward the results on to my surgen. He then went on to tell me he really wasn't ment to let me know anything bout my results...
So now my concern is will I still be able to have my surgery in 6 weeks.. is there anyone else with sleep apnea? Could u still have your opp?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: sleep apnea and surgery   sleep apnea and surgery Empty

Back to top Go down

sleep apnea and surgery
Page 1 of 1