10 posters
AuthorMessage
mary53

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Sleep Apnea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleep Apnea   Sleep Apnea EmptySun 07 Aug 2011, 9:51 pm

Hello, I had surgery on aug.3,2011 I wanted see if anyone knows if is normal for the doctor to take me off my sleep apnea machine right after sleeve surgery?
Back to top Go down
skinnygreyhound
Part of the furniture
skinnygreyhound

Female
Number of posts : 969
Registration date : 2011-04-16

Sleep Apnea Empty
PostSubject: cardopversion required from sleep apnoea   Sleep Apnea EmptyMon 23 May 2011, 11:08 am

just wondered if anyone has had cardioversion? apparently i have sleep apnoea...and this is the likely cause of it
am feeling very mserable as it has set my surgery back...
cheers
Back to top Go down
rowdy
Part of the furniture
rowdy

Female
Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Sleep Apnea Empty
PostSubject: Sleep Apnea   Sleep Apnea EmptySat 30 Apr 2011, 5:40 am

it has been awhile since anyone has posted on this subject...I was diagnosed with OSA obstructive sleep apnoea) 2 years ago and have probably had it much longer...I have been on a CPAP machine for this time and it is the best thing...My hubby has it also...so it is really romantic as we drift off to sleep looking like we should be in a fighter jet rather than bed...
my sleep study showed I woke >40 times a minute and Oxygen levels in blood <75%...and diagnosed with restlessleg syndrome also...
anyway what I am looking forward to is getting rid of CPAP (I am booked in for another sleep study in 12 months - Jan 2012) so hopefully weioght off enough to be rid of it...I really want my hubby to have sleeve also so he can be rid of his CPAP too
cheers
Marg xx
Back to top Go down
MiddleWoman
Part of the furniture
MiddleWoman

Female
Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2010-12-17

Sleep Apnea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleep Apnea   Sleep Apnea EmptyTue 01 Feb 2011, 9:53 am

Hi Everyone,

Just dragging this thread back up to ask a question: for those of you who have had their CPAP reduced or ceased altogether, what was the process? Did you notice yourself that the level was too high and then ask your GP about it? If so, how/what did you notice? Or was it found at a routine followup sleep study? Thanks!

MiddleWoman
Back to top Go down
J
Part of the furniture
J

Male
Number of posts : 761
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Sleep Apnea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleep Apnea   Sleep Apnea EmptySun 29 Aug 2010, 6:22 am

Well ive just been told im going to need to do a 1 month trial with a CPAP machine to see if it helps my apnea. I apparently have it quite bad when im dreaming. Ive never noticed any problems with my sleeping before but i guess ill see how it goes.

Apparently its $300 a month to rent one.. i almost died from shock.

I know ill need to use one during the operation if it is successful in the trial.

Back to top Go down
wombat
wombat

Female
Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Sleep Apnea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleep Apnea   Sleep Apnea EmptyMon 04 May 2009, 1:09 pm

As far as surgery, try and hire a CPAP machine that allows the oxygen to be connected. Mine dosn't and my oxygen sats were really low the first two days, the first night in particular so Ihad to have the oxygen, but they kept waking me up every ten minutes so I didn't go into a deep sleep.

It is advisable to hire a machine to get you over the anesthetic time period if you have severe sleep apnea. Plus you won't be so exhausted. I actually hate my machine now and can't wait to be off it.
Back to top Go down
FaddingAway
Part of the furniture
FaddingAway

Female
Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-05-27

Sleep Apnea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleep Apnea   Sleep Apnea EmptyMon 04 May 2009, 5:19 am

oh I remeber the 1st night sleep I had when I got my cpap machine..WOW it was the best sleep I had had for so long.
They are very expensive to buy out right . keep it on hire. they do have some you can borrow at the health clinics at hospitals . see if you can get your hands on one of those
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Sleep Apnea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleep Apnea   Sleep Apnea EmptyMon 04 May 2009, 3:42 am

Hi everyone
I, too, had severe sleep apnea. I had to stop driving for a while because I was so tired that it wasn't safe any more.
I've had a CPAP for a couple of years, but am one of those unlucky ones who find it terribly difficult to use - however I did notice a difference and was able to drive again.
Since losing so much weight, though, my sleep apnea has improved considerably. I should still be using the machine, though, but haven't been for ages - I have to stop when I get a respiratory tract infection as it always makes it worse, and I get a lot of those. Then I have to start again from scratch, and then we moved - you get the picture. But the good thing is that I'm not exhausted any more, even without the machine.
Best of luck.
Chris
Back to top Go down
OpusKV626
Part of the furniture

Male
Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Sleep Apnea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleep Apnea   Sleep Apnea EmptySun 03 May 2009, 9:40 pm

I was diagnosed with apnea after taking a sleep study recommended by my bariatric doctor. It is pretty severe. This issue is making me nervous as it relates to recovering from anesthesia. I, probably irrationally, worry that I can die after the surgery because of the depressed respiration caused by anesthesia and pain medications. Can anyone tell me their story of gastric surgery while on a CPAP? I need some encouragement.
Back to top Go down
wombat
wombat

Female

Sleep Apnea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleep Apnea   Sleep Apnea EmptySun 19 Apr 2009, 6:55 am

Fading away, the only reason I think I will need it for two weeks is because that is what my surgeon said - however after two nights with the lovely thing, I ain't giving it back unless I can sleep normally without it! I've had the best two nights sleep that I have had in over 14 years, I actually feel human!

I've only hired the machine for one month, so I guess I will see how it goes, hire it for one more month if necessary, which should put me at a weight where I didn't previously have sleep apnea.

And yeah, I know how serious it is. But I had more mental issues with the thought of having to have a CPAP machine than having 2/3 of my stomach removed, and yeah I know how stupid that reasoning is too.

Not too keen on handing it over any time soon...I am enjoying a good nights sleep too much!
Back to top Go down
FaddingAway
Part of the furniture
FaddingAway

Female
Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-05-27

Sleep Apnea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleep Apnea   Sleep Apnea EmptyFri 17 Apr 2009, 9:03 pm

I had sleep apnea and used the lovely c-pap machine. After losing some of my weight I stopped using it and have not looked back. Hubby says I don't snore any more the freight train has left the bedroom,so that is good .
why do you think you will only need the machine for 2 weeks? You do know that you can die from sleep apnea also get an enlarged heart and other complications? Now that you have the machine use it til you are almost at your desired weight
Back to top Go down
Jillybean
Part of the furniture
Jillybean

Female
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Sleep Apnea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleep Apnea   Sleep Apnea EmptyFri 17 Apr 2009, 2:57 pm

Hi Wombat

I had a sleep apnea test before the op and they said I stopped breathing on an average approx every 17 times in the hour so not as bad as you and because I never fell asleep during the day etc they said I didn't have to have the CRAP machine (lol) but i had to go into ICU after the op for one night.

I used to snore before the op and now the MOTH says I have stopped snoring in fact he reckons I almost stopped snoring straight after the op. I havent had a test since so dont know if I still have the apnea but thank goodness I have stopped snoring.

Good luck with your op on Monday - hope you can rest easy after your stressful week.
Hugs
Jilly
Back to top Go down
wombat
wombat

Female

Sleep Apnea Empty
PostSubject: Sleep Apnea   Sleep Apnea EmptyFri 17 Apr 2009, 2:05 pm

Well I got my delightful (NOT!) CPAP machine today, surgeon says I will only need it for 2 weeks...although I have had my nose broken twice and allergies/polyps so I guess we will have to see about that.

Apparently I have severe sleep apnea and stop breathing 19 times per minute when I am dreaming. Not sure how severe that really is, but it sounds fairly bad. Anyone else with sleep apnea of a similar level have it reverse after loosing weight with their sleeve?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sleep Apnea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleep Apnea   Sleep Apnea Empty

Back to top Go down

Sleep Apnea
Page 1 of 1