Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How long did you take off work to recover Post Op?

Go down 
+27
mezzalini
FrogPrincess
snowbunny
mrsbushy
Healthymum
Lavea
bigrockinguy
griffo346
ozrick33
S0PHiEsticated
Luissa
Bellshell
Janette
mmm
natashao'donnell
Nessa
Bast
J
Angelmystique
yodacat
Melinda38
hubba
jessied
lin1970
sassyred
Serina
Ginka
31 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Nessa
Nessa

Female
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2012-02-14

How long did you take off work to recover Post Op? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How long did you take off work to recover Post Op?   How long did you take off work to recover Post Op? EmptyThu 05 Jul 2012, 4:16 am

I've actually taken 6 weeks off! I'm going to be bored shitless (I already am after a week and a half!).

Even though I work from home, I was due to resume on 16 July and even my surgeon's receptionist queried asked if I was sure about going back so early, so I tacked on another 3 weeks.

I made appointments on 1 August prior to surgery and instead of cancelling, I just extended my leave. I have about 42 weeks sick leave, so thought I'd put it to use.

Once I recover a bit more and am pain free, I'm going to be sorting out my wardrobe and start culling.
Back to top Go down
Ginka
Part of the furniture
Ginka

Female
Number of posts : 785
Registration date : 2012-01-21

PostSubject: Re: How long did you take off work to recover Post Op?   How long did you take off work to recover Post Op? EmptyTue 03 Jul 2012, 1:00 pm

Hi Miranda
The kids are a little difficult, but with a 2 year old and 4 year old I managed as best I could. Gave most cuddles sitting down, but I know I overdid it as my tummy pain got worse at the end of 2 weeks as there were times I still had to pick my 2 year old up and bend to do chores etc (no one to help me). You do what ya got to do. By the forth week and stronger pain releif, all pain was gone.
Back to top Go down
mirawitch
mirawitch

Female
Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2012-03-05

PostSubject: Re: How long did you take off work to recover Post Op?   How long did you take off work to recover Post Op? EmptyTue 03 Jul 2012, 1:39 am

I am self employed with 2 businesses, 1 is a shed company where I have to drive half an hour and sit behind a desk but hubby is there to help me too. The other is sewing from home. I am hoping to just have 1 week off from the shed place and sewing i will play it by ear.

My main issue is my 2 kids. I have a 21kg 3 yr old who likes cuddles and a 16kg 2 year old who is always climbing on me. Hubby and I have been trying to explain to them that they can't get me to pick them up etc but it isn't working too well. Thankfully we will be living with my sister in law by my surgery in 11 days as we sold our house and don't get our new one for a few months yet, so she can help a lot with the kids.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
FrogPrincess
FrogPrincess

Female
Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2012-04-21

PostSubject: Re: How long did you take off work to recover Post Op?   How long did you take off work to recover Post Op? EmptySat 16 Jun 2012, 9:50 pm

11 days post-op & I've now decided to go back to work tomorrow (3 days early) and just work shorter days for the first week. That way I save some sick leave, get out of the house & back into my job, but as soon as I feel tired I can go home: best of both worlds I think!
Back to top Go down
ozrick33
Part of the furniture
ozrick33

Male
Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2012-03-12

PostSubject: Re: How long did you take off work to recover Post Op?   How long did you take off work to recover Post Op? EmptySat 16 Jun 2012, 9:10 pm

Ginka I think you have said it well, we are all different. I took the 2 weeks off. I am self employed so I don't make any money when I am not working so 2 weeks off for me was very expensive but in hindsight it was well worth it. Going back prematurely would have been a big mistake.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sydneyinsurancebroker.com.au
Ginka
Part of the furniture
Ginka

Female
Number of posts : 785
Registration date : 2012-01-21

PostSubject: Re: How long did you take off work to recover Post Op?   How long did you take off work to recover Post Op? EmptySat 16 Jun 2012, 1:01 pm

Just thought I would update on my original post. I did ended up arranging to take 2 weeks of leave and I needed EVERY DAY of it. I went back to work in the third week, but I still had a lot of pain and had to take the remainder of the week off. Looks like we are all very different in recovery.
Back to top Go down
Red5
Part of the furniture
Red5

Female
Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2012-05-10

PostSubject: Re: How long did you take off work to recover Post Op?   How long did you take off work to recover Post Op? EmptySat 16 Jun 2012, 12:03 pm

I'm taking close to two weeks off, mostly because my boss wants me too tried for a week, plus I will work from home after that if need be. It is month end for me after the two weeks and my busiest week of the month so I have to go back to work. I planned it that way just in case.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
pharie

Female
Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2012-05-14

PostSubject: Re: How long did you take off work to recover Post Op?   How long did you take off work to recover Post Op? EmptySat 16 Jun 2012, 7:56 am

I'm 5 days post op and still have a fever and alot of pain whenever I drink, I am just really glad my husband has another week off work :(
Back to top Go down
mezzalini
mezzalini

Female
Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: How long did you take off work to recover Post Op?   How long did you take off work to recover Post Op? EmptyTue 12 Jun 2012, 12:08 pm

Hi Frogie

I went back to work today - desk job but right in the midst of monthly report and pay review time.

I'm 8 days post op and felt fine, a little bit tired in the afternoon.
Back to top Go down
FrogPrincess
FrogPrincess

Female
Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2012-04-21

PostSubject: Re: How long did you take off work to recover Post Op?   How long did you take off work to recover Post Op? EmptyTue 12 Jun 2012, 4:26 am

I'm 6 days post op and my man has me back at work today (from home), doing his business admin for him. Admittedly, I am doing it on a laptop from my nice warm bed! hehe

Seriously though, my medical certificate states 'unfit for work from 6 June to 22 June' so my surgeon has obviously decided sufficient time off is 2 weeks and 2 days! I'll be going back to my 'real job' on the 20th though as I don't have enough sick leave and I have a desk job with no lifting/ being on my feet a lot, so I should be fine.

I'm more worried about how I'll drop the kids to daycare on the way, since I'm not supposed to lift my 2 year old for 6 weeks!
Back to top Go down
snowbunny
Part of the furniture
snowbunny

Female
Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2011-06-14

PostSubject: Re: How long did you take off work to recover Post Op?   How long did you take off work to recover Post Op? EmptyMon 11 Jun 2012, 12:49 pm

I went back to work after 1 week.
We do this when we are self employed....
Back to top Go down
mrsbushy
mrsbushy

Female
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2012-05-14

PostSubject: Re: How long did you take off work to recover Post Op?   How long did you take off work to recover Post Op? EmptyMon 11 Jun 2012, 9:42 am

I was off work for 2 full weeks, then eased back into things over then next 2 weeks with 1/2 days etc. I wasn't allowed to do any lifting for 6 weeks due to hernia repair and got very tired very quickly when I went back.
If you have a good boss where you can do 1/2 shifts or light duties, then 2weeks is probably good. If you can't negotiate, then I would be looking at taking 4 weeks off.
Back to top Go down
Healthymum
Healthymum

Female
Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: How long did you take off work to recover Post Op?   How long did you take off work to recover Post Op? EmptyMon 11 Jun 2012, 12:02 am

Within two weeks I wouldn't have even known that I had the sleeve done. I was off panadol from 24hrs after surgery, just a bit tender. I thought it was better than having a c-section done.
Back to top Go down
Lavea
Lavea

Female
Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2012-05-09

PostSubject: Re: How long did you take off work to recover Post Op?   How long did you take off work to recover Post Op? EmptySun 10 Jun 2012, 10:48 pm

Hi Guys my Sleeve date is 16 July, I've put in to take 2 weeks
off, I work in retail but at the front service, just wondering
if by all your experiences do think 2 weeks is enough?
Back to top Go down
bigrockinguy
Part of the furniture
bigrockinguy

Male
Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: How long did you take off work to recover Post Op?   How long did you take off work to recover Post Op? EmptyFri 20 Apr 2012, 7:48 am

I work as a govt bus driver,and was told i couldnt even drive my car for 3-4 weeks,thus couldnt drive a bus.So i took 6 weeks off and returned 2 weeks ago.

Although i did have 6 months off all up due to other reasons etc.Is good as many of my work collegues have noticed the weight loss.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How long did you take off work to recover Post Op?   How long did you take off work to recover Post Op? EmptyFri 13 Apr 2012, 1:07 am

Doc told me no lifting anything more than 5 kilos for 6 weeks....the internals take longer to heal and you can end up hearniating the area
Back to top Go down
ozrick33
Part of the furniture
ozrick33

Male

PostSubject: Re: How long did you take off work to recover Post Op?   How long did you take off work to recover Post Op? EmptyFri 13 Apr 2012, 12:34 am

I would be guided by your Doctor but I certainly would not be doing any heavy lifting for at least 2 weeks. I am 3 weeks post op and I tried walking Winston, my dog the other day. It was quite painful as he is very strong and I won't be doing it any time soon. The thought of a leak or some sort of rupture keeps me being conservative on this.

griffo346 wrote:
I run poker tournaments for a job does this mean in the 2 weeks post op I can't lift the tables if so is it longer then 2 weeks??? I was sleeved lat week.

I'm getting bored at home I just want to go back to work the tables aren't light they are awkward but not to heavy :( but I don't want to make to much drama and do damage.

Any idea on how long I should take?
Back to top Go down
griffo346

Male
Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-07-10

PostSubject: Re: How long did you take off work to recover Post Op?   How long did you take off work to recover Post Op? EmptyFri 13 Apr 2012, 12:11 am

I run poker tournaments for a job does this mean in the 2 weeks post op I can't lift the tables if so is it longer then 2 weeks??? I was sleeved lat week.

I'm getting bored at home I just want to go back to work the tables aren't light they are awkward but not to heavy :( but I don't want to make to much drama and do damage.

Any idea on how long I should take?
Back to top Go down
ozrick33
Part of the furniture
ozrick33

Male

PostSubject: Re: How long did you take off work to recover Post Op?   How long did you take off work to recover Post Op? EmptyFri 13 Apr 2012, 12:03 am

I am self employed so when I don't work, I am not getting any income at all. I took a full week off work after the surgery. I anticipated that in the first week I would be feeling up to reading some mail, answering emails etc. I was dreaming. I work from two offices at home so it was not like I had to drive anywhere either.

In fact I didn't drive for two weeks afterwards. I went back to work part-time in the second week but I found I still had some pain and was not confident in driving as the pain medication made my head a bit cloudy so I did go and see a few clients but my dear Wife drove me. Not being able to work for a week costs me thousands of dollars and I am normally quite driven and focused but I had no hesitation in taking the two weeks off because the surgery is quite a shock to the body.

Maybe us guys are not as strong as we think we are.

At the risk of starting a war between the sexes this video is wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz6DktXFvg4&feature=fvst
Back to top Go down
mmm
mmm

Female
Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2011-09-11

PostSubject: Re: How long did you take off work to recover Post Op?   How long did you take off work to recover Post Op? EmptyThu 12 Apr 2012, 2:28 pm

Sophie you need to get clear instructions from your Surgeon. I was told no heavy lifting for at least six weeks. You need to let that tummy heal, light duties would be a great idea and on your medical certificate ie No lifting at all. My surgeon told me your tummy doesnt fully heal for 3 months so you need to be kind to yourself too.

Good Luck
MMM
Back to top Go down
S0PHiEsticated
S0PHiEsticated

Female
Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2012-03-13

PostSubject: Re: How long did you take off work to recover Post Op?   How long did you take off work to recover Post Op? EmptyThu 12 Apr 2012, 1:44 pm

Im taking 3 weeks off so far, but I do a lot of lifting people including very heavy people in aged care as a nurse. I'm worried it won't be enough time off. I wonder if work will put me on light dudies and how did you girls ask your work about it???
Back to top Go down
Luissa
Luissa

Female
Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2012-04-09

PostSubject: Re: How long did you take off work to recover Post Op?   How long did you take off work to recover Post Op? EmptyMon 09 Apr 2012, 5:47 am

Bellshell wrote:
I took 3 weeks off. I was ok to go back after that. I do alot of lifting and pushing in my job so I was on light duties for 6 weeks after surgery.

As for my unpaid job, I had a cleaner come in once a week for 6 weeks and I had done a lot of frozen meals for the family as I was not sure if I would have the energy to cook. I did but it was great to not have to worry.

Hiya

Sounds like your well organised. I had 2 weeks off work after my sleeve I found it was enough for me as I have a sit down office job and only myself to look after at home.

But if I had a physical job I definitely would have needed more time.
Back to top Go down
Bellshell
Part of the furniture
Bellshell

Female
Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: How long did you take off work to recover Post Op?   How long did you take off work to recover Post Op? EmptyMon 09 Apr 2012, 5:38 am

I took 3 weeks off. I was ok to go back after that. I do alot of lifting and pushing in my job so I was on light duties for 6 weeks after surgery.

As for my unpaid job, I had a cleaner come in once a week for 6 weeks and I had done a lot of frozen meals for the family as I was not sure if I would have the energy to cook. I did but it was great to not have to worry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How long did you take off work to recover Post Op?   How long did you take off work to recover Post Op? Empty

Back to top Go down

How long did you take off work to recover Post Op?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next