AuthorMessage
gingerchicken
Part of the furniture
gingerchicken

Female
Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2014-01-29

Newby & How long did you take off work? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newby & How long did you take off work?   Newby & How long did you take off work? EmptyTue 13 Jan 2015, 6:09 am

Hi guest,
My indecision is based on a few issues. They might be non-issues for others..... But I'm an over thinker and take a while to decide on things...annoyingly for me.

1. I'm anxious about the operation.....major surgery. I have a husband and four kids.... Id hate for me not to be there. Or a complicated outcome for me longterm. Some type of twist or complication. I definitely do not want things to end up with me having to have a bypass.

2. Long term,
The sleeve having issues, whether it stretches (don't know if that's possible) or me putting weight back on, needing follow up surgery due to issues with sleeve. Revisions? Is this the best option for me..... Is there some thing else around the corner.... That the sleeve is the best option now. But What about in 2yrs, 3yrs, 5yrs 10, 20...etc

3. Me feeling defeated. This is my personal journey....
So I DO NOT feel like this for other sleevers. It just makes me question whether I have really tried everything for myself. Have I just given in and not done all I can?

4.that i will always be a WLS patient. That I will never be able to not

Mention my surgery when I need to fill out forms, seeing drs etc. seems silly, I know, nevertheless, true.

5. ATM I have not physical health issues.... Fortunately. I know it's only a matter of time.... But at the moment, it's not dire straights.

There are lots of reason for me to get it done.... But I really have to nut these things out first. They might seem  trivial to some.... But I have to be 100% with my decision. I don't want to have regrets anything or have regrets later.
I know I need to lose a lot of weight, and the sleeve is such an immediate, no fail (rarely) way.... But a little bone in me isn't convinced yet. By all mean this is not intended to deter yourself or others from it, just in my personal journey, these are rolling around in my head. Are any of them familiar to you?
I flip flop with my thoughts everyday, sometimes hourly. Yes, I'm doing it, no, I just can't...... Time will tell. It's terribly frustrating for me.... And maybe for some others on here too? I don't know.

I wish you well for your decision, appointments, and prep for surgery.
And of course the surgery itself!!

Sorry, if this has overtaken your post.... I just didn't want to give a two line answer. I might add this to my diary as well. It's got too many "I'm not sure posts" already...lol.... But hey, what one more ;)

Ginger x
Back to top Go down
montemoo01
montemoo01

Female
Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2014-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Newby & How long did you take off work?   Newby & How long did you take off work? EmptyMon 12 Jan 2015, 10:04 am

Hi everyone!! I took 19 days from surgery date, I work Fifo so my surgeon said 3 weeks off due to being remote. I work admin, 12hr days and my first week back I stuffed up sooooo many things! My brain was mush & I was so tired from lack of food/nutrients - so lucky everyone was kind to me & understood when I fluffed up something ;-)

Personally I took a while to recover from the surgery....no complications - just took a lot out of me. Ideally I'd have liked 4 weeks off.
Back to top Go down
SpecialK

Female
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2015-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Newby & How long did you take off work?   Newby & How long did you take off work? EmptyMon 12 Jan 2015, 7:53 am

Ness28 wrote:
Hi Special K,

I am like you and only planning on talking a week off.  my surgery is on a Friday and the next weekend is Easter so I am thinking 10 days recovery should be good, and with only doing admin work it shouldn't be too strenuous.  I would have loved more time, but one week was all I was able to take. Fingers crossed everything goes well.

I hear you Ness. I'm generally very strong and positive, and I know I will be tired and it will be hard, but I am sure I will cope....

Good luck to you also.
x
Back to top Go down
jikey

Male
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2014-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Newby & How long did you take off work?   Newby & How long did you take off work? EmptySun 11 Jan 2015, 1:05 am

I have taken 4 weeks. I am now 3 weeks post op. I would think that 2 would be the minimum before a return to work. You would need more if your work involved physical exertion. I would be worried about an air flight so soon after surgery. The op will affect the "stickiness" of your blood for up to a month, so I would be concerned about getting a blood clot from the flight. Such clots are much more common than you might think and can be deadly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Newby & How long did you take off work?   Newby & How long did you take off work? EmptySat 10 Jan 2015, 4:42 pm

I mean ginger chicken .... Sorry was on the iPhone and could not recall who has not been sleeved yet x
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Newby & How long did you take off work?   Newby & How long did you take off work? EmptySat 10 Jan 2015, 4:42 pm

Thanks all.
Yes I was worried about Fiji re medical wise. We booked a family holiday in March a year ago which I'm not canceling, so I may just have to push my surgery back until after the holiday... I suppose Ivan do shakes while I am away.

Thanks for your opinions re time off. I had two weeks after a breast reduction ... Difference there is I could ''fuel' myself with food. But the surgery was major!

Green frog what's holding you back from the decision also?
Xx
Back to top Go down
greenfrog
Part of the furniture
greenfrog

Female
Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Newby & How long did you take off work?   Newby & How long did you take off work? EmptySat 10 Jan 2015, 12:01 pm

I took two weeks of work, and I was fine the second week.  I think I spent more time out shopping and catching up with people for coffee then resting at home.
I was totally buggered, and slept fantastically every night (very unusual for me).  Even for the first 2 weeks after I went back to my office job, I slept all night.

Obviously everyones different painwise... and I get bored easily...
Back to top Go down
Ness28
Ness28

Female
Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2015-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Newby & How long did you take off work?   Newby & How long did you take off work? EmptySat 10 Jan 2015, 10:33 am

Hi Special K,

I am like you and only planning on talking a week off.  my surgery is on a Friday and the next weekend is Easter so I am thinking 10 days recovery should be good, and with only doing admin work it shouldn't be too strenuous.  I would have loved more time, but one week was all I was able to take. Fingers crossed everything goes well.
Back to top Go down
gingerchicken
Part of the furniture
gingerchicken

Female
Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2014-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Newby & How long did you take off work?   Newby & How long did you take off work? EmptySat 10 Jan 2015, 8:41 am

I'm not sleeved either.... And can completely understand your delay and canceling.... I've been researching the past year, and still don't feel ready yet. 

Not to be a scaremonger, but I'd be careful which holiday destination you choose. Fiji is a beautiful place whilst at resorts.... But their healthcare and efficiency is far from Aussies standards. I'm wary about these things even when holidaying without having just had surgery. I'm not a big fan of "fiji time" especially if it's a medical emergency. I hope this hasn't come across the wrong way?

Ginger x
Back to top Go down
emmabear
emmabear

Female
Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2014-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Newby & How long did you take off work?   Newby & How long did you take off work? EmptySat 10 Jan 2015, 8:32 am

Hello, I took 5 weeks off (as my two week medical certificate took me right up to christmas eve and work closes for a couple.of weeks over christmas and new years). But I felt like three weeks was definitely recovery time and the last two weeks have been more like holiday time.
Back to top Go down
innerninja
innerninja

Female
Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2013-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Newby & How long did you take off work?   Newby & How long did you take off work? EmptySat 10 Jan 2015, 8:08 am

Hi, I took 3 weeks, I had what would be considered an easy and problem free recovery, although I was physically good, I was very tired and wore out super fast. I am an RN in a clinical role, so lots of desk work, quite a bit of walking, but no heavy lifting. For me that was perfect. Pretty sure that even with an epic recovery that just one week might be pushing your luck. :)
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster
WondaWendy

Female
Number of posts : 1258
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Newby & How long did you take off work?   Newby & How long did you take off work? EmptySat 10 Jan 2015, 7:58 am

I personally took 3 weeks off (I am a teacher) and feel I probably could have done with a 4th week but I managed okay - a lack of energy and a few icky moments was all.  Others on here have said they were okay quicker but you just won't know until you are there so, if I were you, I'd be taking the 2 weeks off right at the beginning and forgetting about the weeks holiday later on.

Everyone is different though :)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Newby & How long did you take off work?   Newby & How long did you take off work? EmptySat 10 Jan 2015, 7:31 am

Hi All

I wanted to ask how long did you take off work? Was anyone feeling well enough to go back after one week? (FYI I work in an office, but stressful role)

Also, do you think I would be ok to travel overseas a few weeks after surgery? I am thinking I will have a week off work, go back for a few weeks and then lay on a beach in Fiji for a week to rest ;-)... Crazy? Good idea? Get my head out of the clouds?

Also, I wanted to introduce myself and say hi, as I have just joined. AGAIN.

I am seeing my surgeon again for the 4th consult on 20th Jan... this time I am going to do it!! I have cancelled three times before.

I am soooo scared of the surgery, as I am a Mum and the breadwinner for my family. It frightens me so much that something will happen. But I need to get past that and just focus on the positive... hey, I drive 2 hours a day on Sydney roads.... surely the surgery is safer ;-).... Plus I am ready!! I could have been slim 3 years ago by now.... doh! But you have to be ready hey...

Would love to connect and share stories with you all, please do so if you want to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newby & How long did you take off work?   Newby & How long did you take off work? Empty

Back to top Go down

Newby & How long did you take off work?
Page 1 of 1