Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How will I get through the next 51 weeks?

Go down 
+63
Willowgirl
TinaLou
Pineapple
Bumbles
wilkiebarkid
dream4life
rebirth
nezza66
JJW
Kiley
stormyandthunder
GKEL81
MissHollywood23
lin1970
veronica simcoe
gruggy
chereign
Melinda38
Kell
justjed
cyclonestorm
Eringirl
kay63
Jacko84
goldfingerkristi
cocosnuts
Emma1989
Kate
Shazbotzski
JayNay
SloJo
Sylvia41
Lozza (takitaki)
Fraggle
Kylie
gottarhyme
Bellshell
Ryjackmama
gibb100503
Synna
jessied
D'Girlz
gemp285
Janette
prillbaby
Miss Vicki
DBFiveGirl
Ozzieloz
Tempest
lovelyslim
Bamba
sssss
J
shelly25
gkathanasiou
NutMeg
Kazz
kazlikesgreen
realme
butterfly girl
Emily
Peazles
Jaime
67 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
youcandoit
youcandoit

Female
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2014-07-18

How will I get through the next 51 weeks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? EmptyThu 16 Jul 2015, 12:21 am

Hi meow,

I was in your shoes 12 months ago.
It is now the day before surgery!

For the first couple of months it will feel like it's going to take forever but believe me it will go by very quickly.

During the 12 months I tried to prepare myself by doing a bit of opti to find out what products I like and to let myself know I can do it.
I also learnt about mindful eating. Eating slower and listening to my body when it tells me I'm full.

Also the healthier you are the better prepared your body will be for surgery so I've been walking on the treadmill everyday for some time now. Jut remember every little bit helps.
Back to top Go down
Meow_
Meow_

Female
Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2015-07-06

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? EmptyMon 06 Jul 2015, 10:38 am

My wait has just begun!!!! March 2016 be here already
Back to top Go down
TinaLou
TinaLou

Female
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2014-06-22

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? EmptyMon 25 Aug 2014, 1:57 pm

Hi everyone

Youcandoit - self funding can cost around $20,000! I'm not sure which surgeon does it that way but there is a great FB page, Perth gastric sleeve forum and there are people on there that have gone self funded. They would be able to help you with your questions.

I'm waiting for my PHI to kick in, sooooo frustrating. If I had the money I'd go self funded like a shot!
Back to top Go down
Awesome

Female
Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2014-08-21

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? EmptyThu 21 Aug 2014, 10:45 am

Hi guys, I have got my referral letter and also made my first appointment with the surgeon on two months time. I am exciting that finally I will be able to overcome my weight problem after so many failures, my only concern is...how will I cope with my three little kids. Eldest will be 6yrs and the youngest will be 1yr 4 mths. Is there anyone in the forum who has done this with little kids in the house and can share there experience with me and give me some tips.
Back to top Go down
youcandoit
youcandoit

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? EmptyMon 21 Jul 2014, 1:43 pm

I have seen the GP and it was simply. Just told him what I was there for and wrote me a referral. He also told me it is a common thing people come to ask about.
I then rang to make an appt with the surgeon but when I told the receptionist i didn't want to wait for my PHI to kick in and she informed me they don't operate on anyone without PHI.
The surgeon come very highly recommended so I am willing to wait but if anyone know a good surgeon in Perth that operates on self funded patient please let me know.
Back to top Go down
Pineapple
Pineapple

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? EmptySun 20 Jul 2014, 2:20 am

I just saw my GP yesterday and had the same concerns as you.  I'm 31, have a BMI of 40 and no health problems.  I was expecting to be weighed and given the third degree etc but didn't experience any of that.  I was in and out of the office after about 2 minutes!  I told him why I was there and he basically nodded and starting writing the referral and seemed fully supportive.  He did ask me why I was considering it so I was honest and said that it's more preventative as I've struggled with my weight my whole life and want to avoid any possible health problems in the future.  

Fingers crossed your appointment goes just as well youcandoit!  

Now, only 11 months to go of my waiting period…..

How will I get through the next 51 weeks? 355206
Back to top Go down
youcandoit
youcandoit

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? EmptySun 20 Jul 2014, 12:46 am

Thanks for all the great advice. I have put together a long list of my previous attempts at weight loss, some of the medical issues I have associated with being overweight and all the research I have done so fingers crossed.
I will update you after I see the doctor.
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster
WondaWendy

Female
Number of posts : 1258
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? EmptySat 19 Jul 2014, 9:24 am

Absolutely right Newborn. My dietician even says worse... He said "Out of all the people who lose 20kgs, only 5% manage to keep it off for more than 2 years" now that's a crappy statistic, ESPECIALLY considering how much time and effort it takes to lose 20kg!

Youcandoit, if a GP tries to make u lose weight first using prescription medication, I would firstly ask them to show you statistics on the success rates and other data to justify its use, and I'd ask them to reconsider giving you the referral, and if they won't... I'd just try another GP.  There are many who will do it. Hope it goes well for you and you don't even have to concern yourself with any of that.
Back to top Go down
rebirth
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2014-05-31

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? EmptyFri 18 Jul 2014, 11:25 am

Hey youcandoit, im in nsw so sorry i cant answer your Qs. I was scared to ask my gp too, but she has been wonderful. She said gps across australia are actively wanting the op to be funded because it is so effective. Currently it is the only effective avenue for weight loss for five years. Even weight watchers, by the five year mark have a rediculously low success rate- below 10% i believe
Back to top Go down
youcandoit
youcandoit

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? EmptyFri 18 Jul 2014, 10:51 am

Hi all,
I'm 27 from regional WA. I have been researching gastric sleeve for the past month and it is defiantly something I want to do. I have been over weight since the age of 12. I have lost 5-10kgs a dozen times and have lost 20-25kg about 3 times before (diet and exercise) but each time have put more weight back on. I have always been embarrassed by my weight and always dreamed of being able to shop for clothes in the normal size section. I have just signed up to health.com.au through iselect. Is anyone else with them? I'm finding it hard to process the fact that I have to wait a year. Has anyone from Perth had the sleeve done and paid for it? How much did it cost?
I am also extremely nervous about going to the GP. Mostly because I could be denied. My BMI is just over 40 but I haven't been to the doctor about my weight before. Will he expect me to try and loose weight with prescription drugs before he approves the surgery?
I would also love to hear from anyone who lives in regional WA and has had the surgery. How many time did you have to go to Perth and how long for?
Back to top Go down
Bumbles
Part of the furniture
Bumbles

Female
Number of posts : 794
Registration date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? EmptyMon 30 Jun 2014, 11:16 am

Mabrahmz wrote:
Groundhog Day!!
Exactly!

How will I get through the next 51 weeks? Groundhog-day-bill-murray-smashes-alarm-clock
Back to top Go down
Willowgirl
Part of the furniture
Willowgirl

Female
Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2014-06-23

PostSubject: Private Health Insurance   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? EmptyMon 30 Jun 2014, 9:50 am

We have Latrobe Health Insurance and when the Weight Loss centre asked me which one we had she said they are excellent. How will I get through the next 51 weeks? 369315
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? EmptyMon 30 Jun 2014, 9:45 am

Groundhog Day!!
Back to top Go down
Bumbles
Part of the furniture
Bumbles

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? EmptyMon 30 Jun 2014, 3:46 am

No I know what you mean! Every morning I wake up and as the hips complain I find myself talking to them, only xx days left! But it seems like its stuck on the same time haha
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? EmptyThu 26 Jun 2014, 2:32 am

lol no it's not just you, Bumbles.  :)   I think it's because it's almost over, you can see the end in sight and are 'hungry' for it.  lol  sorry about my choice of word  :D
Back to top Go down
Bumbles
Part of the furniture
Bumbles

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? EmptyWed 25 Jun 2014, 11:15 pm

Is it just me, or does the waiting get worse the closer you get lol - 6 weeks left to go to see the surgeon, 4 months left to go before PHI kicks in and Im obsessed with it!
Back to top Go down
Pineapple
Pineapple

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? EmptyWed 25 Jun 2014, 11:41 am

Hi TinaLou! Welcome. Fingers crossed it goes quick enough for us   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? 355206
Back to top Go down
TinaLou
TinaLou

Female
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2014-06-22

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? EmptyTue 24 Jun 2014, 3:32 am

Hi everyone
I signed up with HIF today! We can twiddle thumbs together, get frustrated and excited the closer our sleeve dates get.  

I am so excited right now.  That year will go by eventually and we will be packing for hospital in no time.  How will I get through the next 51 weeks? 63412
Back to top Go down
Pineapple
Pineapple

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? EmptySat 21 Jun 2014, 2:56 am

Haha, thanks! *thumb twiddling begins*
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? EmptyFri 20 Jun 2014, 12:54 pm

JessaJessa, welcome to the thumb twiddling group!
Back to top Go down
Pineapple
Pineapple

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? EmptyFri 20 Jun 2014, 11:27 am

I popped over to the introductions thread and now I'm visiting here. PHI started yesterday... The count down has begun!  How will I get through the next 51 weeks? 65317
Back to top Go down
veronica simcoe
Part of the furniture
veronica simcoe

Female
Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2013-02-26

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? EmptyTue 10 Jun 2014, 3:04 am

Hey Eki
YOu will get there, don't give up, How will I get through the next 51 weeks? 595690  I was also a size 26  How will I get through the next 51 weeks? 878453 and I waited 18th mths, just take one day at a time and learn as much as you can on here while you are waiting, I had my sleeve on the 6st Dec and im now a size 16 top and size 18 bottom, How will I get through the next 51 weeks? 446871  it will happen for you too, just don't give up ok, we are all here to support and help you How will I get through the next 51 weeks? 217555
Back to top Go down
veronica simcoe
Part of the furniture
veronica simcoe

Female
Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2013-02-26

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? EmptyTue 10 Jun 2014, 3:01 am

Hi dreamlife, I waited 18mths for mine, the time will go by quickly and it gives you heaps of time to research everything you need to know and get great help and advice too before it all happens, best of luck
Back to top Go down
rebirth
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2014-05-31

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? EmptyTue 10 Jun 2014, 12:43 am

I feel so disgusting, exhausted, frustrated and angry at self.  I don't think I can wait an entire 12 months, feeling so physically crap because I'm huge. Every time I lose weight, I fail, and end up putting on loads more.  I've given up trying becauto lose weight because I know it will end up a waste of time, and I will end up bigger than when I started.  Why even try?  I've gone from a size 14 to almosy 26 in 2 years.
Back to top Go down
Bumbles
Part of the furniture
Bumbles

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? EmptyMon 09 Jun 2014, 10:56 pm

Hi Dream4life - I too had the long 12 month wait for PHI to kick in, for me its 31 October this year - Im getting a bit excited now, but the wait is killing me :(
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? Empty

Back to top Go down

How will I get through the next 51 weeks?
Page 1 of 15Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next