AuthorMessage
raisedbycats
Part of the furniture
raisedbycats

Female
Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2009-03-02

six weeks to go Empty
PostSubject: Re: six weeks to go   six weeks to go EmptySun 31 May 2009, 11:52 pm

Hi Rubenesque,

The bypass, banding and sleeve and all commonly done in NZ and it costs between NZ$16,000 and $25,000 depending on where you have it done.

If your friend has had Southern Cross for more than 3 years then she might be eligible for a grant of $7500 towards the surgery. Aside from that she's on her own financially.

Because we are a smaller country she is not likely to find a surgeon who has done thousands of operations. Last time I spoke to him my surgeon had done 80 and he's well known for doing the sleeve.
Back to top Go down
Rubenesque
Rubenesque

Female
Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-05-30

six weeks to go Empty
PostSubject: Thanks for the feedback   six weeks to go EmptySun 31 May 2009, 10:48 am

Thanks so much Belly - I really did need that. I have adapted a sachet of soup today by making some vege soup and mixing in the opti-soup. I felt better because at least I knew I was eating some fresh food. Not great but much better.
What you said about it being a relatively short time was exactly what a friend said too.
So here we go.

allieswans re exercise, I do have a gym membership that I pay for don't use. When I was using it I did feel better of course but have found it hard to get back too after having an injury. So tomorrow I will start again. The main problem is time. I work all week and once home it is hard to go out again once it is dark.
I think I will have to push myself to go straight after work which means I have to eat at work or out (cos of the diabetes). Means having to get super organised that is all there is too it!
I am in inner west how about you?

Fatgeek (love the name:) I see you are in NZ what is the situation there for getting a sleeve? I have a friend who is thinking about it. One thing I am doing which is unlike me is not telling too many people. Not because I am embarrassed more because I want it to happen and I am afraid if I tell too many people it won't - does that make sense? BTW I chose my Avatar 7 of 9 from Star Trek because she is supposedly a version of a alien/robot or what ever. I feel like I am creating a new version of myself.

Sue, I am so glad to hear from someone who no longer has diabetes. I have heard that this has happened as a result of this op. I have managed to keep my BSL at around 6 since diagnosed but I can feel that it fluctuates and tthat the insulin is not always manageing well. Do you think that the Diabetes is gone or is it that it is just better able to be controlled?

Anway thanks all for the replies and support. My apologies for the venting on my first post.

six weeks to go 618285
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

six weeks to go Empty
PostSubject: Re: six weeks to go   six weeks to go EmptySun 31 May 2009, 1:17 am

Great advice Bell

I don't like coffee either and never tried the vanilla Opti. I only had strawberry as the chocolate just didn't do it for me!!

I also preferred the berry bars to the chocolate.
Back to top Go down

six weeks to go Empty
PostSubject: Re: six weeks to go   six weeks to go EmptySun 31 May 2009, 1:04 am

Hi Rubenesque,

I made mine into slushies. (But it was the middle of summer) I did them in the Bullit Blender, any blender would do though. About 1/2 a tray of ice cubes in first then the sachet of opti then just cover it wih water. Wizz it up till all the ice is smashed up and eat it with a spoon. I couldn't stand the smell of them and doing them this way killed the smell. Plus it felt like you were actually eating something rather than just having a drink. The chocolate and strawberry were fantastic like this. Nothing will save the vanilla. And i don't like coffee so i can't comment on the cappiachino, but i guess it would be a bit iced coffie-ish. The choc bars were good. Nibble on them to make them last longer, then you feel like you've had more, hehe! I didn't like the berry, but a lot of people do. And once again i don't like coffee so no cap bar for me either.

Low calorie jelly was a life saver. And lo cal soft drink is filling. Drink at least 2lt water a day, more if you can. If you have to choose between soft drink and water though, chose the water. You can make a pot of vege soup up out of your allowed vegies and have a cup of that throughout the day too.

But the best advice i can give you. And you are going to think i'm the meanest person that ever lived, is - just do it - have a big old whinge, then get over it and get on with it. The more you're down on it, the harder you'll make it on yourself. Stay positive, its really not that bad, but if you convince yourself it is, then you're going to have a very long and unhappy and difficult couple of weeks. Its only for a few weeks out of your whole life and the reward at the end is more than worth a couple of weeks of eating something that wouldn't be your first choice. You're arthritis and diabeties will be the first to appreciate the effort you put in for the great reward at the end.

You can do it!

six weeks to go 446871
Back to top Go down
allieswans
Part of the furniture
allieswans

Female
Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2009-03-29

six weeks to go Empty
PostSubject: Re: six weeks to go   six weeks to go EmptySun 31 May 2009, 12:32 am

Welcome Rubenesque

I have 8 weeks to go before my surgery ( 4 weeks to start Optifast) so can't help with that.

Do you exercise with someone - because I find the same things as you, but my biggest problem is finding someone who can exercise with me. Where abouts in Sydney are you? Which Surgeon is doing your sleeve?

How about swimming?
Back to top Go down
raisedbycats
Part of the furniture
raisedbycats

Female
Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2009-03-02

six weeks to go Empty
PostSubject: Re: six weeks to go   six weeks to go EmptySat 30 May 2009, 10:44 pm

Hi Rubenesque,

I'm on day 3 of Opti out of 27 and boy do you have my sympathies. My advice is to try as many of the different flavours as you can and use those you find least disgusting. From what I've read here, the big box ones, chocolate and vanilla and the worst and the small box one, strawberry and cappachino are the least bad. Also try the bars, the chocolate dessert and the veggie soup.
Back to top Go down
sue
Top Poster
Top Poster
sue

Female
Number of posts : 3609
Registration date : 2008-06-15

six weeks to go Empty
PostSubject: Re: six weeks to go   six weeks to go EmptySat 30 May 2009, 1:01 pm

Howdy and Welcome i hated the opti and i just skulled it down i didnt have any side effects from it like some have had so cant advise you there i can tell you i was diabetic before my sleeve and i havent had to have one pill since my op for diabetes and i have energy to burn hopefully for you it will all go smoothly

Cheers Sue six weeks to go 63412
Back to top Go down
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female
Number of posts : 1924
Registration date : 2008-12-17

six weeks to go Empty
PostSubject: Re: six weeks to go   six weeks to go EmptySat 30 May 2009, 12:57 pm

Hi Rubenesque- love the user name.
The opti can be a bit tough going huh?
How many days into it are you? Once you get past the first 3-4 days, it should be a lot easier. By then ketosis should have set in. The bad news is that if you slip up, you go back to the beginning again- feel like crap for a few days until ketosis sets in again.
On the exercise front- try challenging yourself to a 5 minute walk. Chances are that once you actually put on your shoes and walk out the door you will walk for longer. Even if you do only walk for 5 mins, it's 5 mins more exercise than you would have done. Also try to increase your incidental exercise- park in the furthest bay from the entrance to the mall, take the stairs instead of escalators etc.

Good luck ith everything and welcome to the forum.
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2008-11-22

six weeks to go Empty
PostSubject: Re: six weeks to go   six weeks to go EmptySat 30 May 2009, 12:55 pm

Hi Rubenesque,

Can't help you with the Opti or the exercise, sorry, but just wanted to say hi and welcome aboard. I'm sure someone will be able to help you. I didn't have to do the Opti and consider myself very lucky.

There is a thread for the pre-op diet so have a look in there and you may find something of use to you.

Hugs,
Back to top Go down
Rubenesque
Rubenesque

Female
Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-05-30

six weeks to go Empty
PostSubject: six weeks to go   six weeks to go EmptySat 30 May 2009, 12:21 pm

I have been reading posts on this site for awhile and appreciate the support shown. I am due to have my sleeve in six weeks and am feeling a bit apprehensive. The opti-fast is foul and I am worried about being able to stick to it.
Also trying to get exercising but my weight along with arthritis, diabetes and a full time job make it hard (I know it sounds like an excuse but I am seriously tired).
Has anyone got any ideas or experienced the same?
Sorry to begin by whining :}
six weeks to go 68366 whahhhhh!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

six weeks to go Empty
PostSubject: Re: six weeks to go   six weeks to go Empty

Back to top Go down

six weeks to go
Page 1 of 1