AuthorMessage
FaddingAway
Part of the furniture
FaddingAway

Female
Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-05-27

The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 5 EmptyTue 03 Jun 2008, 8:09 am

First topic message reminder :

This is a site that I have found and feel it could be benifical for slevers as myself just follow the link As we all should know this op was 1st preformed on stomach cancer patients, Of cause when it talks of eating as much as possible this is not recommended for us trying to lose weight.
http://www.gisurgeon.com.au/pdf/gastrectomyinfosheet.doc

this nexxt one is about younger patients having this type of surgery.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=27&ContentID=22920

For those who do not know The Dr that did my op made a pouch instead of a sleeve and I am having problems, with the shape ,I feel at this time, But I am trying to find any info on the shape I have and so far have found zilch. 1 dr has written back to me and said that That to get the shape that I was given ( stomach0 it means that I should have a bypass to eliminate the problems I am having. Great NOT :pale: That is not what I wanted in the begining , but wow if it stops me feeling this poo poo house I am concidering it. If any one finds anything that might be benifical to me please email me and send me the link hansdale@alwaysonline.net.au

give em a :lol!: plug 30gigs for $30.00 a month not bad. and while your saving $$$$ try engin.com.au for a voip phone $15.00 a month and free local and long distance calls mobiles 22 min not bad ..must have broadband to get a voip phone.

thanks everyone
Fadding Aaway
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster

Number of posts : 1344

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 5 EmptySun 20 Jul 2008, 2:05 am

Hi Cinni, it really depends on how you come out of the surgery although I had the hiatus hernia repair and sleeve and had a few complications but I was still only in 3 nights. My surgeon asked me if I was sure I wanted to go home when I did and was happy for me to stay another night but I wasn't able to get a lift home next day and besides I couldn't wait to get back to my own bed.

steph
Back to top Go down
liquefiedstars
liquefiedstars

Female
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: How many days were you in hospital?   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 5 EmptySat 19 Jul 2008, 10:04 pm

How many days were you in hospital?
It will cost me $850 or so a night and the surgeon is quoting for a three night stay. (In my Apra application) Is this about right or should I qet a quote for four nights?

Cinni
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 5 EmptySat 19 Jul 2008, 10:40 am

bad breath is probably ketosis, so as yucky as it is it means the kg's are coming off :)

under 600 calories a day from the top of my head but I might be off

applesauce
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female
Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 5 EmptySat 19 Jul 2008, 9:13 am

My teeth still get that furry feeling throughout the day, i wonder if its because we are not chewing on anything hard...Bit like a dog hey :lol!: they need bones to keep their teeth clean :lol!: :lol!:

I also had really bad breath whenever i had optifast, it seemed to leave a vulgar taste in my mouth after.

Nicole ☀
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 5 EmptySat 19 Jul 2008, 7:24 am

Jacqui, I also had that "everything tastes horrible" in the first week thing too. Actually I don't think I had a furry tongue but I definitely had an awful taste in my mouth all the time which cleaning my teeth made no difference to. Glad that's past now.

steph :flower:
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 5 EmptySat 19 Jul 2008, 7:05 am

Hi Jacqui and welcome to the site, its great to have another 'loser' with us!

I didnt mind the broth, but I was a very slow drinker, they kept me in and on a drip for 6 days, because I didnt want to have anything at all, not out of being naughty, I just could not bring myself to drink anything.
I am 15weeks post op. Still getting used to it, but finding everyday a new experience when it comes to food, and how much I can NOT get in LOL.
I think every day before the sleeve for me was like a buffet. I wouldnt eat all day, then 4pm came around and it was eating like there was no tomorrow. It was such a bad habit, and now I am in the routing of having something for brekky, even if it is half a banana...
Welcome again, and thanks for sharing in the dairy section!!!
:queen:
Hayley
Back to top Go down
jacquilove77

Female
Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-19

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 5 EmptySat 19 Jul 2008, 6:40 am

it probably wasn't the broth so much, everything tasted awful those first few days - and the furry tongue and teeth thing was awful. i was brushing my teeth so often to no avail *sigh*

ps thanks for the welcome. i just put my story down in the diary section (mainly for my own benefit but if anyone is curious about me hehehe)
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 5 EmptySat 19 Jul 2008, 6:05 am

Hi Jacque & welcome,

Actually I have to say I quite liked the broth they served up in hospital. I suppose that makes me weird...... except for the time they forgot my tea and I asked and they brought me jelly which I couldn't have so the nurse went down to the kitchen and got me some broth. I left it for 15 minutes before trying it and even then it was so boiling that I burnt my mouth and ended up with blisters on my tongue. Didn't swallow thank goodness. Then I had to call them and ask for ice chips. That actually put me off the broth and I couldn't drink any more after that.

Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 5 EmptySat 19 Jul 2008, 5:49 am

Hi jacquilove77 and welcome!
So, a newbie - says I, who has only been done for 4 weeks next Monday! :)
Sounds like you're doing really well, but don't be too hasty - some of us have had problems trying new foods a little early.
Bye for now
Chris :afro:
Back to top Go down
jacquilove77

Female
Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-19

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 5 EmptySat 19 Jul 2008, 5:25 am

hello there - new around here just having a look around

i was sleeved last friday, this time last week i was sucking on ice cubes still and slowly progressing to water. started on clear fluids on the sunday i think euugh that broth was awful but after anaesthetic any thought of food was enough to make me barf :) moved onto nourishing fluids quite quickly and painlessly, only wanted to eat about half way through this week though and now wondering how long til i get to mushie stage
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 5 EmptySat 19 Jul 2008, 5:01 am

:lol!: chris........i may not have thought about the urine.. :lol!: just knew it was gross

Nicole ☀
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 5 EmptySat 19 Jul 2008, 4:54 am

Yeah, that clear broth - like watered down urine! Not that I've ever drunk that, though! :lol!:
Have to be careful of the caffeine, though, because I was told it's not counted in your fluid intake. Decaf tea is, though, and since I drank that already, I was happy to get back to milk in my tea!
Chris
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 5 EmptySat 19 Jul 2008, 4:31 am

I was allowed blackk tea or coffee...i went the coffee cos i have it black anyway. I sipped on apple juice as well and was also told to stay away from the jelly..i think its something to do with the gelatine. I was only on clear fluids for 48 hours..it was supposed to be 24 hours but the dr forgot to tell the nurses and being sunday they said to stay on clear fluids till they could contact him, so he ould give the go-ahead.
God he clear broth was disgusting.

Nicole ☀
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 5 EmptyFri 18 Jul 2008, 9:25 pm

Hi Cinni,

I can only help you post op as well as I didn't have to do it pre op. But I was allowed black tea and coffee like the others although I still haven't touched a cup of coffee since pre op as I take it with milk and now I don't feel like it. Clear broths and apple juice were also allowed.
Like applesauce my surgeon also told me not to touch jelly under any circumstance even if it was delivered on my tray (which it was every meal). I even argued with a nurse when they forgot to bring me dinner and she brought a jelly for me that I wasn't allowed to have it.

Good luck with the pre op clear fluids. I wonder why you have to do this and not Optifast?

Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 5 EmptyFri 18 Jul 2008, 7:09 pm

Hi Lou
Yes, they're all a bit different, so always good to check.
My doc allowed black tea and coffee, though, and also allowed jelly. In fact, he told me that the jelly would go down easiest. This was post-op, by the way.
I also had coffee the first time I could - prefer tea, but just couldn't have it black. That first sip of coffee was wonderful!
I was also allowed clear apple juice, water and diet cordial.
Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you more.
Chris :afro:
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 5 EmptyFri 18 Jul 2008, 5:22 pm

every sugeon has a different idea of clear fluids. I was allowed clear applejuice cordial black tea or coffee or peppermint tea water and clear broth. To my surgeon clear means NOT cloudy. I was not allowed anything for 24 hours then ice chips for 24 hours then water for about 12 hours then any clear liquids I wanted. I had just water pepermint tea and diabetic sugar water. which is basicly sugar disoved in water, vile stuff. I was told do NOT touch the jelly under any circumstances even tho it would arrive on my tray under the banner of clear fluids. So run the jelly past your surgeon, he might say it is fine. There was no way on this planet I was putting black coffee into that new tummy *LOL* the thought made me shiver yet the male of the species was drinking it within 24 hours and sucking down the clear broth in that time frame as well.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 5 EmptyFri 18 Jul 2008, 4:07 pm

I am sure you are allowed to have black tea and coffee, but I could be wrong about the coffee.

Someone correct me if I am wrong please!!
Hayley
Back to top Go down
Lou
Lou

Female
Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Stir crazy!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 5 EmptyFri 18 Jul 2008, 3:41 pm

Hi Everyone.

I'm having clear fluids for the 3 days prior to my surgery.

Can anyone tell me if it excludes tea & coffee. If not, does it have to be black. Also did I read somewhere that you can sugar free jelly during this period.

Day one of the clear fluild, I've drank about 3lts of water and a couple cups of stock but have the shakes really bad. I feel like I need something more to get thru the next couple of days.

Help!!!!!

Lou
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 5 EmptySun 29 Jun 2008, 12:30 am

Hi Chris,

Since I posted that message my surgeon called and brought forward my date 3 weeks so when I told my work I needed time off I actually said I would be back in 2 1/2 weeks depending on how I am feeling and I said I may need to come back half days to start so I have left it a bit more open now but I do usually recover quickly from ops, so here's hoping.

Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 5 EmptySat 28 Jun 2008, 10:06 pm

Hmm, interesting how we conflicting information, isn't it?
When I left the hospital I was given 2 sheets of paper - one said I shouldn't lift anything more than 5kg for the first 2 weeks, and the other said I shouldn't lift anything more than 10kg in the first week.
But I'm with Hayley - although the pain level isn't bad, you've essentially had most of your stomach removed and then stapled up. Be kind to yourself as much as you can.
Everyone's different, too - I always heal slowly, but you might be a really fast healer.
And talk to your doc - be guided by what s/he says.
Bye for now
Chris
Back to top Go down
Donna-lee
Part of the furniture
Donna-lee

Female
Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2008-06-01

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 5 EmptySun 15 Jun 2008, 2:12 am

Oh fadding you sexy thing :lol!: I think a clothes swap is a great idea..

hope everyone is well.
Donna :flower:
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 5 EmptySat 14 Jun 2008, 8:12 am

fadding away,
I just had to comment on you looking in the mirror and saying you sexy thing.....i had a good laugh that is awesome, i cant wait till i can say the same thing...lol

Nicole ☀
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 5 EmptySat 14 Jun 2008, 8:07 am

Oh yeah, that's true. Why not?
Maybe we should start a new thread for clothes swapping?
Chris :bounce:
Back to top Go down
FaddingAway
Part of the furniture
FaddingAway

Female
Number of posts : 579

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 5 EmptySat 14 Jun 2008, 6:55 am

who wants the ones I can nor fir in to?
pay for posyage .won't be much.what do you think?
Fadding away
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 5 EmptySat 14 Jun 2008, 3:12 am

Yeah, I like the clothes swap idea too - but since we're all so scattered, it's a bit tricky to organise! LOL
Chris
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 5 EmptySat 14 Jun 2008, 2:59 am

Hi Fadding Away,

I bought of those fat holder thingies from Target a while back and even the largest size doesn't fit :oops: so eventually I know it will.

I think the swap your clothes idea sounds great though.

steph
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Questions Thread-Ask Here!
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next