AuthorMessage
ozrick33
Part of the furniture
ozrick33

Male
Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2012-03-12

any regrets out there Empty
PostSubject: Re: any regrets out there   any regrets out there EmptySun 08 Apr 2012, 7:09 am

I am amazed at how all my fears about finishing my meals too soon and sitting there looking silly while others are still eating have been quite unfounded. I am engaging in conversation, eating slowly and finishing about the same time as others who have a plate full. Really gratifying to know I am eating well but not standing out in the crowd.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sydneyinsurancebroker.com.au
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: any regrets out there   any regrets out there EmptySun 08 Apr 2012, 2:55 am

No regrets, but sometimes I wish I could eat a little more at family dinners and get togethers! However, I have learned to eat slowly, savour every bite, and become the perfect host! I still love cooking and watching other people appreciate what I make. I just wish I had done this even 5 years ago.
Back to top Go down
Cherrypie
Cherrypie

Female
Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2011-08-21

PostSubject: Re: any regrets out there   any regrets out there EmptySun 08 Apr 2012, 2:20 am

Nope - no regrets from me. I agree with Chantz when she says that it's not an easy option. It is however an awesome tool to get you on your way, and help keep you on track. It's important to follow the basics - both in the immediate phase post op, and in the long term. That is - protein first, limit carbs, avoid snacking and grazing, and exercise regularly.

Good luck on your journey.
Back to top Go down
mac.calder
mac.calder

Male
Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2011-11-08

PostSubject: Re: any regrets out there   any regrets out there EmptyFri 06 Apr 2012, 3:40 am

My only regret is not doing it sooner... I was tempted to do it 3 to 4 years ago... now I just imagine how much I have missed out on... I'm not there yet, but every week is just that little bit closer. I am now 1/3rd of the way to my ideal goal and 1/2 the way to the point where I would be "happy" with my end weight - I was sleeved towards the end of January.
Back to top Go down
Chantz

Female
Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2012-04-06

PostSubject: Re: any regrets out there   any regrets out there EmptyFri 06 Apr 2012, 2:03 am

Hi Bruiser,

I will be 3-years post op (Sleeve Gastrectomy) in July and do not regret it one bit!!

It has been a hard journey and anyone who thinks surgery is the "easy option" needs to be slapped up the side of the head! I made the decision because at the age of 24 I was 5'7" and weighed 133.8kg, my fiancé was 6'3" and weighed 138kg, I knew I had reached a point in my life where I needed to make drastic changes if I was going to be around long enough to enjoy a life with my Husband to Be. It was the hardest decision of my life and with very little people willing to talk about their experiences I had no idea what I was getting myself into!!

I made an appointment with Michael France and he was beautiful and put my mind at ease, he was supportive and understanding and not critical of how fat I had allowed myself to become. My family were hesitant but supportive, my work colleagues were not supportive and I was told various things like I was taking the "easy" road to weight loss etc.

On 2nd July 2009 I arrived at the hospital absolutely petrified, my fiancé and my sister came with me, I cried as I was being taking into the pre-op area but the nursing staff were fantastic!! I woke up from surgery feeling like my torso had been run over by a truck but it was a pain I soon forgot and it's hard now trying to remember how it felt. I was out of hospital in two days and back at work within two weeks. My first goal was to lose 40kg (with no specific dates in mind) so that I could go Skydiving. I reached that goal in January 2010 and Skydived in March 2010 having lost 50kg by that stage!

My goal weight was to get down to 80kg (the smallest I ever remember being), I reached this in June 2010, just in time for my wedding. I felt beautiful both inside and out, and was able to look at my wedding photos and like what I saw!! My Husband, seeing my weight loss, had the surgery 2 weeks after we married.

I thought my weight loss journey was over, and that I couldn't possibly lose anymore (I never remembered being any smaller than 80kg) but it wasn't until January 2011 that I finally plateau'd at an amazing 63kg!!

I went from a size 22-24 to a size 10 and felt amazing for it. The hardest thing was not being able to gorge eat at dinner parties, christmas and get-togethers like we all do!! But it passes, you learn to graze and feel better for it!!

Unfortunately my Husband left me in October 2011 and although devastated, my weight loss has been a god-send, I am happier, more confident and love life. The old me would have sat around feeling sorry for myself!!

There will always be fears of the unknown, you will hesitate, doubt and at times wonder if you did the right thing, but when it's all over and done with and your at your goal weight you will know it was all worth it!!

Good luck with your journey!!!
Back to top Go down
CherryRipe
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 492
Registration date : 2012-02-08

PostSubject: Re: any regrets out there   any regrets out there EmptyWed 04 Apr 2012, 2:36 am

Hi
The surgery actually wasn't painful. My incisions have not hurt one bit, they don't even feel bruised. The pain was from gas in the stomach (for the laproscopy) and the cramping of the new tummy. The gas pain I would give a 8/10 and the cramping a 7.5/10. Morphine didn't really touch the cramping, but that went after about two days, and I was gas free after about three days. Many people get NO cramping at all! Think of it like childbirth. It is SHYTE at the time, but you forget quickly. I have absolutely no pain at all now, except if I drink a little too much or too quick and I get a cramp, but it rolls over very fast.
I found the nausea most difficult to handle and really only had a few episodes with that. I think it was caused by the morphine and the nurses give you anti-nausea meds quickly if you tell them you want to vomit. I never actually vomitted. Thank God!
I'm now day seven and feel absolutely normal - no hunger and have to keep reminding myself to sip fluids.
Can't say I LOVE my sleeve yet, but I'm sure that will come.
You WILL be able to eat your steak again, you'll just have the chew chew chew it. My understanding is we can eat what we want, just smaller amounts!
Good luck
C
Back to top Go down
sunnie
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 422
Registration date : 2011-01-25

PostSubject: Re: any regrets out there   any regrets out there EmptyWed 04 Apr 2012, 2:26 am

Hi Bruiser I'm 11 months out from having my sleeve and down over 30 kilos....life's good so no regrets here :) I think at first every one has doubts of whether or not they should have had the surgery especially when it is such a struggle to eat but it is so worth it. The surgery itself it not overly painful, it's mostly the wind pains that hurt :( After a couple of days of walking around it all goes away and you sometimes get a stitch like pain in your side but I never needed to take anything stronger thatn panadol for it.

Good luck with it all

Sunnie x
Back to top Go down
bruiser

Male
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-04-02

PostSubject: Re: any regrets out there   any regrets out there EmptyTue 03 Apr 2012, 2:32 pm

mj78 is the surgery painfull and how sore was u and for how long and i know it sounds crazy i know surgery is painful but on what scale would u rate it!!!! i have kidney stones and believe me they are some kind of pain so im kinda use to the pain!!!!! lol!!!!! where u from if u dont mind
Back to top Go down
mj78
mj78

Female
Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: any regrets out there   any regrets out there EmptyTue 03 Apr 2012, 2:28 pm

Hey Bruiser,

Yes I can relate, I have always been overweight (only the extent has varied!). I just wish I had considered this option earlier and gone through with it! Missing meat (and real food in general) is only made easier knowing that eventualy I can eat normally again!

I didn't tell my family until I had booked it, so they had catching up to do in terms of adjusting but I knew that I had to be sure and I was. So, I hope all goes smoothly for you and that the recovery is as uncomplicated as possible!

MJ
Back to top Go down
bruiser

Male

PostSubject: Re: any regrets out there   any regrets out there EmptyTue 03 Apr 2012, 2:18 pm

well i am sure ready to get on with it i can tell u that much!!!! mj78 i am a steak eater lol and im sure im gonna miss it but im so tired of being like this i have fought weight problems my entire life and just SICK of it all i am doing is praying to the GOOD LORD about the surgery and ive got several people praying also!!!! trollbait they was just worried because they really had done no research and i think the more ive talked and explained to them the better they understand the procedure either die of over weight young are die from trying do something about it
Back to top Go down
mj78
mj78

Female
Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: any regrets out there   any regrets out there EmptyTue 03 Apr 2012, 2:04 pm

Hey there, welcome. I'm one week out and have no regrets but I am missing meat!!!! The evening after surgery and the next day were the worst for me so far, but after that I have been having what I would consider a fairly good recovery given the extent of the surgery. I did have doubts about 2 weeks out and started to question myself again, but that passed. No regrets so far.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Trollbait
Trollbait

Female
Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2012-02-27

PostSubject: Re: any regrets out there   any regrets out there EmptyTue 03 Apr 2012, 9:09 am

Hi Bruiser

I haven't had mine yet but have thought long and hard about it. You wouldn't be human if you didn't! Hopefully your family only talked you out of it with concern for you rather than anything else but good on you for making the decision, it is a tough one. Not only because we actually have to now admit that we have to rely on surgery but coping with the feeling of failure that this surgery brings with it. Its tough - hope you find peace with your decision enough to go through with it.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
bruiser

Male

PostSubject: any regrets out there   any regrets out there EmptyMon 02 Apr 2012, 9:23 pm

any regrets out there EmptySubject: any regrets out there any regrets out there EmptyToday at 03:25 pmany regrets out there I_icon_multiquote_off any regrets out there I_icon_quote

i am getting ready to have the gastric sleeve procedure with in the next couple of months and i am just really wondering does any one out there who's had this really regret having it done!!!! i was all ready to have it this procedure in 2011 and let family and friends talk me out of it but ive finally said im gonna do what i want to its my life!!!!!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: any regrets out there   any regrets out there Empty

Back to top Go down

any regrets out there
Page 1 of 1