Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why????

Go down 
+12
SueM
disey
Curvychick71
NormalNow
demilanni
chrissy1987
Strawberrychick
marescolt
Liz
lin1970
janelou
kelmarmug
16 posters
AuthorMessage
disey

Female
Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2012-10-12

Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why????   Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why???? EmptySat 26 Jan 2013, 8:05 am

Yep Tracey, i am in my fifties, and my skin is not so elastic these days, so yes I wish I had done it earlier, but as they say better now than never :-).

My daughter has taken out PHI and is hoping to have a sleeve this year

Kelmarmug, so sorry, but it is South East in Melbourne. You should start a thread for those of you up on the Gold Coast as I am sure there are some whom would love a catch up.

Disey
Back to top Go down
Tracey_379
Part of the furniture
Tracey_379

Female
Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2012-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why????   Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why???? EmptySat 26 Jan 2013, 7:27 am

Hi

My only regret is I didn't have the sleeve earlier. I wish I had done it in mt 20's instead of my 30's.
Back to top Go down
kelmarmug
kelmarmug

Female
Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Thanks Disey and everyone   Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why???? EmptySat 26 Jan 2013, 6:11 am

Hi Disey,

I am excited to come to the catch up in Feb. Is that at Springwood?

My hubby and I are counting down until our ops. I cannot wait.
Back to top Go down
disey

Female

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why????   Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why???? EmptyFri 25 Jan 2013, 5:55 am

Hi Feathers,

This site is great for support, and I think we all wonder at 1st if we did the right thing, but then reality sets in and we are all of one mind......................yay, wish we did it soonere.

Some of us oldies, newbies, and ones still to be done this year are getting together on Feb 2nd, if you are in the South

Disey
Back to top Go down
feathers
feathers

Female
Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2013-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why????   Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why???? EmptyWed 23 Jan 2013, 8:34 am

What wonderful replies. Just a newbie here and thought I would be the devil's advocate and see if anyone did have regrets.

You are all making me feel good about this too.
Back to top Go down
6rugrats
6rugrats

Female
Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2011-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why????   Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why???? EmptyTue 22 Jan 2013, 12:31 pm

The first 3 weeks I sometimes thought 'what have I done to myself' as I missed food, which was my real best friend at the time - despite having my husband and 2 real women best friends.

This was sort of like the emotional equivalent of a druggie weaning off drugs.

Once I started back on solids (and I took longer than some being deathly afraid of causing a leak) and started back in a normal life I have loved my sleeve every day, ever since.

I love having my sleeve tell me, "no more, you are full. "

I never had that before, my tummy always said eat more! I controlled my weight by will power alone, and by the 4th child, and 3rd bout of PND, that willpower was gone, and I faced a life of eating myself to death. I believe that, of myself. I had lost control, and my sleeve gave it back to me.

Thanks to the sleeve gods, I am healthy and not facing an early death by food.

Good luck and godspeed.
Back to top Go down
hazelbaby
Part of the furniture
hazelbaby

Female
Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2011-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why????   Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why???? EmptyTue 22 Jan 2013, 9:45 am

No regrets, it is the best thing I could have done for myself and for my kids and the grand kids I will be able to run around with one day (don't have any yet.)
Back to top Go down
SueM
SueM

Female
Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2012-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why????   Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why???? EmptyMon 21 Jan 2013, 8:58 pm

As a sleever for the last seven months I am thrilled with the results. Just touching 40kg lost and I have totally changed my life.

I see what I put in my body as fuel and I have to pick the best fuel to keep me grooving along. The biggest change for me is this mind set. Don't get me wrong I still have some junk here and there but I can be satisfied very easily.

I am now starting to think like a healthier person too and find ways to get exercise. I got a BIKE for Christmas and ride it almost every day. I had not been on a bike since I was about 12!

Look forward with optimism. It is a big life change but in so many good ways.

Good luck to you and your hubby.
Back to top Go down
Strawberrychick
Top Poster
Top Poster
Strawberrychick

Female
Number of posts : 1211
Registration date : 2012-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why????   Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why???? EmptySun 20 Jan 2013, 1:41 pm

You should get excited!! I'm sure you'll look back on it as a great decision x
Back to top Go down
kelmarmug
kelmarmug

Female

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why????   Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why???? EmptySun 20 Jan 2013, 1:15 pm

Thanks so very much everyone. I am getting super excited now, after reading your posts.

I love this forum.
Back to top Go down
disey

Female

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why????   Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why???? EmptySun 20 Jan 2013, 12:08 pm

I am 3 months post op, and my only regret is that i did not do it sooner. I must admit, that I miss enjoying food the way I used to, but one can not have everything. My daughter is now looking at having a sleeve later this year, after seeing my success, so i think that speaks for itself. Good luck to you and hubby, as i think you will be great support for each other. I asked my hubby to do it with me, but he did not want to give up the beer.

Disey
Back to top Go down
Curvychick71
Curvychick71

Female
Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2012-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why????   Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why???? EmptySun 20 Jan 2013, 3:33 am

I regret not doing this sooner!!!
Back to top Go down
kelmarmug
kelmarmug

Female

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why????   Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why???? EmptySat 19 Jan 2013, 10:03 am

Thanks so very much for all of your advice. It helps knowing there are people who have been where I have been and understand. Most of my friends are thin so they really have no idea.
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why????   Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why???? EmptyFri 18 Jan 2013, 7:14 am

Totally agree with Demi and Kim. I lost about 11kg in 6mths prior to surgery and started exercising. I wasn't perfect either. I have had plateaus during my first 6 mths and I got frustrated so if it happens to you don't get disheartended
Back to top Go down
NormalNow
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2011-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why????   Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why???? EmptyThu 17 Jan 2013, 4:42 pm

No regrets, I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

Advice - don't waste the first 6 mths of your sleeve, lose as much weight as you can in that time, the sleeve is only a tool, so the early days you need to setup good eating habits.
Back to top Go down
kelmarmug
kelmarmug

Female

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why????   Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why???? EmptyThu 17 Jan 2013, 12:43 pm

Hi everyone,

Thanks so very much for all of your responses. It really helps out so much. I am finding every night I am either watching You Tube clips on the procedure and before and after pics or on here reading as much as I can. I have also made a group on Facebook where I post all of my thoughts. It consists of close friends who I know will be there for support when I shall need them. In this group I have put questions I need to ask the surgeon, why I am getting this sone and what I am looking forward to. Basically it's like a blog or journal of this very personal journey.
Back to top Go down
demilanni
Part of the furniture
demilanni

Female
Number of posts : 458
Registration date : 2012-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why????   Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why???? EmptyThu 17 Jan 2013, 2:36 am

Get started ion your weightloss NOW.

Dont think, "oh im getting sleeved later so I will eat what I want now" The more you loose pre surgery the better. Start exercising now so your as fit and healthy as possable, it will make it easier to eat helathy and exercise after your surgery.

You dont have to go crazy, maybe a walk each day, cut out some of the junk and eat smaller potions etc....
Back to top Go down
chrissy1987
chrissy1987

Female
Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2012-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why????   Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why???? EmptyWed 16 Jan 2013, 10:46 pm

i regret not setting an excersize plan for myself. i know i would be at my goal now if i had walked a little each day or went to the gym. seeing as its both u n ur hubby it would be really good if you made a time each day to go for a walk. i am 5 months post op and am down now to 69kg best thing i have ever done for myself .
Back to top Go down
Strawberrychick
Top Poster
Top Poster
Strawberrychick

Female
Number of posts : 1211
Registration date : 2012-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why????   Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why???? EmptyWed 16 Jan 2013, 12:26 pm

Just keep your eyes on the prize hon. There's a whole heap of valid reasons you're getting this done. It might be worthwhile writing them down, or writing down all the wonderful things you're looking forward to being able to do when you're slimmer, fitter and more active. You can refer back to it to see what you've achieved and it may keep you motivated if you have any slumps. Good luck hon. It's wonderful that you and your husband are in this together :)
Back to top Go down
marescolt
Part of the furniture
marescolt

Female
Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2012-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why????   Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why???? EmptyWed 16 Jan 2013, 11:49 am

Thanks Liz for all that info, it helps me too.
Back to top Go down
Liz
Part of the furniture
Liz

Female
Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2012-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why????   Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why???? EmptyWed 16 Jan 2013, 11:06 am

hi kelmamug

I was sleeved in August 2012 and I have no regrets...just wish I had it done a few years ago but I am making the most of it now. I am very happy with the steady weight loss and will reach my goal some time this year.

A couple of suggestions I would make to pre-sleevers is:

1. to do lots of reasearch through this forum and online,

2. go along to sleevers get together if there are any in your area - this is a great opportunity to meet up with others who have had the surgery or who are looking at having the surgery done,

3. realise that the sleeve is only a tool and not the be all and end all as far as making healthy food choices etc. Alas some of us have thought that we can eat whatever we like all the time (albeit in smaller portions). If we continue to eat all the high calorie foods all the time the weight can go back on. That is why a lot of us now say the sleeve is a tool.

4. maybe make time to see a pscyhologist if necessary to deal with food issues and also to have a dietitian that you can go along to see before and after the sleeve to cope with the food choices that we need to make. I am continuing to see a dietitian at least once a month.

These are just a few things that I have found to be important and I hope they are helpful to you.

Best of luck to you and your husband on your journey and look forward to hearing of your progress.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Liz :)
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why????   Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why???? EmptyWed 16 Jan 2013, 9:16 am

NO, I am very grateful that I can't gorge on food like before
Back to top Go down
janelou
janelou

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why????   Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why???? EmptyWed 16 Jan 2013, 8:03 am

I regret not having this operation sooner! All the best for your surgery. You'll be fine - you have this website to help!
Back to top Go down
kelmarmug
kelmarmug

Female

PostSubject: Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why????   Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why???? EmptyTue 15 Jan 2013, 9:32 pm

Hi,

I am new to this site and my husband and myself are getting the sleeve this year. My hubby hopefully in June and myself in August. I honestly want to know if you have any regrets and if so what are they and why. Would you get the surgery again??? What is the best bit of advice you would give to a Pre-Sleever???

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why????   Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why???? Empty

Back to top Go down

Does anyone have any regrets and if yes - What are they and why????
Page 1 of 1