+4
Tamara
KahunaLou
Robyn
Caz
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band   Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band EmptyFri 23 Jan 2009, 11:30 am

caz, for what it's worth, I think you have made the right decsion and wish you all the best. Go and join the feburary sleevers thread and you'll be fine.
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Made my decision   Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band EmptyFri 23 Jan 2009, 10:39 am

I have now spoken to someone who had the sleeve after her daughter had two problem bands followed by a sleeve. With a combination of advice here and talking to her, I'm going to go ahead.

Unfortunately my surgery date is now Feb 23 as another critical cancer case took my spot next week - but that is fine.

A relief to have decided!

Thanks

Gut Less wrote:
Hi Caz

I agree it's an important decision that only you can make for yourself, however as part of your information gathering, an interesting question would be

"has anyone whished they had their stomach back?"

I can pretty much eat everything now and it's great to be able to taste the food but not fee like inahling 3-4 platefuls. So I've never wanted my stomach back - except, to be honest when the meal is really, really nice and I wish I could eat more - but that's just old habits!

Good luck with your decision making.
Back to top Go down
Gut Less
Gut Less

Female
Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band   Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band EmptyThu 22 Jan 2009, 12:23 pm

Hi Caz

I agree it's an important decision that only you can make for yourself, however as part of your information gathering, an interesting question would be

"has anyone whished they had their stomach back?"

I can pretty much eat everything now and it's great to be able to taste the food but not fee like inahling 3-4 platefuls. So I've never wanted my stomach back - except, to be honest when the meal is really, really nice and I wish I could eat more - but that's just old habits!

Good luck with your decision making.
Back to top Go down
Kaili
Part of the furniture
Kaili

Female
Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band   Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band EmptyThu 22 Jan 2009, 11:30 am

Caz, I'm sorry, I was more making a point about the fact that bandits tend to see there bands as permanent.

I am happy I had the sleeve and haven't regretted it yet.

But the decision is yours and you need to make one you can live with.
Back to top Go down
jacquilove77

Female
Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band   Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band EmptyThu 22 Jan 2009, 3:03 am

it's a personal thing and you have to make your own decision based on your own circumstances.
i'm so glad my surgeon strongly suggested the sleeve (as i travel to remote areas frequently). i love the permanence of it - although it scared me at first. the first four to six months is a huge adjustment period - but now i wouldn't change any of it. i love the fact that i don't need to eat much ever again, yet am "able" to eat virtually whatever i want (although i am careful to eat healthily as i can most of the time). having read a lot of people's stories who have had the band, to me it just doesn't seem as simple for them in everyday life.

good luck making a decision
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female

PostSubject: Good luck!   Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band EmptyWed 21 Jan 2009, 9:36 pm

I hope your surgeon's appointment goes well. I have to say that the set and forget side of it appeals to me. Also it isn't as restrictive on WHAT you can eat, just HOW MUCH, which is appealing. I am not far from the doctor - but working in the city means it is not easy to get there regularly. I am leaning towards the sleeve at this stage - but still waiting to make a final decision.

But I'd better hurry up - surgery is one week today :-)

cositsgoodfun wrote:
Hi Caz

I am not yet sleeved.....I have my surgeons consult tomorrow and may be luckiy enough to come home with a date !

In addition to all the reasons listed by everyone below, I decided on the Sleeve cos its a set and forget technique....living in a remote area I did not want to be travelling 1 1/2hrs to my surgeons clinic to have fills added or removed etc.......not sure i would be keen on the possibility of so much after surgery maintenance even if i lived next door to the surgeons clinic.

Im sure if you spend a day or two reading all the posts and threads here, plus other research you will find which way to go that is right for you.

Smiles
Bella :))
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female

PostSubject: So you think the band is better than the sleeve? Or do you just think that people are happy to have made the decision to have the procedure. The main issue I have is that there is no way to put your stomach back!   Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band EmptyWed 21 Jan 2009, 9:32 pm

Kaili wrote:
The people I know that have the band (and it's worked/working) for all say that they will never be without their band.
Back to top Go down
Bella ..... xo
Sponsor

Female
Number of posts : 1299
Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band   Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band EmptyWed 21 Jan 2009, 12:50 pm

Hi Caz

I am not yet sleeved.....I have my surgeons consult tomorrow and may be luckiy enough to come home with a date !

In addition to all the reasons listed by everyone below, I decided on the Sleeve cos its a set and forget technique....living in a remote area I did not want to be travelling 1 1/2hrs to my surgeons clinic to have fills added or removed etc.......not sure i would be keen on the possibility of so much after surgery maintenance even if i lived next door to the surgeons clinic.

Im sure if you spend a day or two reading all the posts and threads here, plus other research you will find which way to go that is right for you.

Smiles
Bella :))
Back to top Go down
Kaili
Part of the furniture
Kaili

Female
Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band   Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band EmptyWed 21 Jan 2009, 9:38 am

The people I know that have the band (and it's worked/working) for all say that they will never be without their band.
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female

PostSubject: Yet another good point - I guess I was concerned that it may not suit me - but not sure   Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band EmptyWed 21 Jan 2009, 1:31 am

Rice cake wrote:
i was looking at the band and knew about the sleeve but not enough to make an informed decsion and made the decsion after speaking to the surgeon.

Initally, as in post op, the sleeve had a slightly higher chance of complications but less long term ones however, the band has a higher chance of long term complications but less post-op complications.

Why are you worried about the permanency of the sleeve? If you had the band, would you not want it permanently?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band   Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band EmptyWed 21 Jan 2009, 1:02 am

i was looking at the band and knew about the sleeve but not enough to make an informed decsion and made the decsion after speaking to the surgeon.

Initally, as in post op, the sleeve had a slightly higher chance of complications but less long term ones however, the band has a higher chance of long term complications but less post-op complications.

Why are you worried about the permanency of the sleeve? If you had the band, would you not want it permanently?
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female

PostSubject: Thank you so much - They are trying to put me in touch with someone who has had the procedure. I am leaning towards the sleeve at this stage.   Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band EmptyWed 21 Jan 2009, 12:28 am

I was in this same position a couple of months ago, when I initially met with the surgeon I didnt even know what a sleeve was!
However I researched as much as I could, and talked to people who had the band, and also people who went with the sleeve, and decided that the sleeve was the best option for me.

Have you spoken to the receptionist at your surgeons, sometimes they have a list of previous patients who are willing to be contacted and talk about their surgery, and recovery and everything like that.

Good luck

xx
Tamara[/quote]
Back to top Go down
Tamara
Part of the furniture
Tamara

Female
Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band   Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band EmptyWed 21 Jan 2009, 12:20 am

I was in this same position a couple of months ago, when I initially met with the surgeon I didnt even know what a sleeve was!
However I researched as much as I could, and talked to people who had the band, and also people who went with the sleeve, and decided that the sleeve was the best option for me.

Have you spoken to the receptionist at your surgeons, sometimes they have a list of previous patients who are willing to be contacted and talk about their surgery, and recovery and everything like that.

Good luck

xx
Tamara
Back to top Go down
KahunaLou
KahunaLou

Male
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band   Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band EmptyWed 21 Jan 2009, 12:10 am

Hi Caz:

Here is a side-by-side comparison in a nutshell taken from http://www.wlshelp.com/gastric-sleeve.html which agrees with literature I've received as part of my WLS decision back in March 2008:

Advantages of Gastric Sleeve Weight Loss Surgery
* Promotes weight loss by restricting amount of food that can be eaten at any one time
* Removes the part of the stomach that produces the hunger stimulating hormone ghrelin
* Digestive system it not changed and digestion occurs normally
* Does not cause malabsorption or nutritional deficiencies as it does not involve rerouting or bypassing the small intestine
* Less chance of developing ulcers than with gastric bypass surgery
* Dumping syndrome not likely to occur as the stomach outlet (pyloric valve) remains intact, unlike gastric bypass surgery
* Less complicated procedure than gastric bypass or duodenal switch surgery
* Can usually be performed laparoscopically on extremely obese patients
* Does not require a gastric band being implanted into the body
* Does not require adjustments or fills as with a LAP-BAND or REALIZE Band
* Safer than a combined restrictive/malabsorptive weight loss surgery for patients who have many health problems
* Expected weight loss is 30 to 50% of excess weight in the first one to two years
* May be converted to gastric bypass or duodenal switch if necessary for additional weight loss

Disadvantages of Gastric Sleeve Weight Loss Surgery
* As it is a purely restrictive weight loss procedure, inadequate weight loss or weight regain is more likely than with a procedure involving intestinal bypass
* With time, new smaller stomach pouch may stretch (also occurs with gastric bypass surgery)
* Although the gastric sleeve helps control hunger and limit amount of food that can be eaten at any one time, weight loss will not occur without a healthy, low-calorie diet and regular exercise (same as with other purely restrictive procedures such as LAP-BAND and REALIZE Band)
* If performed as the first part of a two-stage process, a second malabsorptive weight loss surgery such as the duodenal switch will need to be performed at a later time
* The surgery is not reversible as a portion of the stomach is permanently removed
* Leaks or bleeding may occur along the stomach stapling edge
* Procedure may not be covered by some insurance companies
* All surgery and anesthesia involves some level of risk including bleeding, blood clots, infection, pneumonia, or complications
* Lack of published data for long-term weight loss results

Hope this helps you make an informed decision. I made my decision after gathering the facts just as you are doing.
Back to top Go down
Robyn
Part of the furniture
Robyn

Female
Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2008-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band   Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band EmptyWed 21 Jan 2009, 12:02 am

Hi Caz

I was in exactly the same position as you, I researched the band for months and was so convinced that the band was for me, until I visited my surgeon. Because of where I live 3hrs away from his surgery, he was worried about adjustments, possible slippage etc, gave me the option of the gastric sleeve. You have certainly come to the right forum for finding information on the sleeve, I have learnt so much. This forum offers so much information based on experience of the wonderful people that have been before us. After reading every thread on this forum it was a no brainer for me. The way I look at it is that this is a permanent life change and not looking to change it, I know, it seems a bit scarry at first but the more you get involved with the forum the more I am sure you will be convinced that the sleeve is the best solution, as I was. Ultimately it is your decision though, browse through, I wish you luck, and welcome to the forum.
I haven't been sleeved yet, being sleeved 23 Feb 09.
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female

PostSubject: Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band   Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band EmptyTue 20 Jan 2009, 11:43 pm

I am scheduled for surgery on January 29 and am trying to decide whether to have the gastric sleeve or the gastric band. I can see pros and cons for both (not keen on a foreign object in my body - but also concerned about the 'permanence' of the sleeve).

Does anyone have any advice they can give me?

Thanks
Caz

(Sorry for the duplication - I did the original message in the wrong forum.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band   Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band Empty

Back to top Go down

Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band
Page 1 of 1