7 posters
AuthorMessage
workdanceplay
workdanceplay

Female
Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2010-02-01

Gastric Sleeve vs Lap Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve vs Lap Band   Gastric Sleeve vs Lap Band EmptySun 28 Feb 2010, 12:05 am

texasbell,

I say well done, you have probably saved her a lot of grief for the future.
She may now have the sleeve and you never know she might just be in the waiting room next time thanking you.

workdanceplay
Back to top Go down
TexasBell
Part of the furniture
TexasBell

Female
Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2009-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve vs Lap Band   Gastric Sleeve vs Lap Band EmptySat 27 Feb 2010, 2:46 am

Well, I had a really awkward conversation last week. I was in my surgeons rooms waitng for my pre op dietician appointment when the lady next to me asked if I was also having surgery. I told her I was having the sleeve and she said she is about to book for the band and why did I pick the sleeve over the band.

Well.......I had to tell her that I was a bit complicated and had a band that wasn't successfull for me and going for the sleeve now. So now she wouldn't drop the subject (and I don't blame her) but it was so uncomfortable to be in the dr's rooms with others to hear and she was having her final consult to book for band. Arrrggghhh, last thing I want is to get dr offside at this stage..lol.. I really wanted to tell her some of the things she might have to deal with (and they are significant) but it really wasn't the time or place. The worst thing is as she left she said "oh the band probably won't work for me too" and I'm afraid she may be right. I think in the future if I'm in the drs rooms I will just have to omit that I have had a band (aka keep my big mouth shut) D'oh
Back to top Go down
workdanceplay
workdanceplay

Female
Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve vs Lap Band   Gastric Sleeve vs Lap Band EmptyFri 26 Feb 2010, 9:15 am

Hi,
I cant speak from experience, but i too was trying to decide which to have the sleeve or band. After speaking to my surgeon i knew instantly which one i wanted - the sleeve.

My decision was mainly based on convenience and maintenance.
Like the others have said the constant fear of choking and vomiting and the fills, and even the thought of having a port thing in my stomach. AHHHGGG! I couldn't bear the thought of dicing my food up all the time and having food restrictions.

I have now had my sleeve- almost 3weeks now and feel great. soon my tummy will be back to being able to eat everyday foods, and i cant wait.

No regrets at all.........Very happy!!!
Back to top Go down
The Lady Helena
Part of the furniture
The Lady Helena

Female
Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve vs Lap Band   Gastric Sleeve vs Lap Band EmptyWed 24 Feb 2010, 10:46 am

Hi cmstant....my advice is get it out, get sleeved and start living your life! I'm an ex-bander whose band was too tight from day 1. Similar to you I had severe reflux and was vomiting at every meal...I also developed a sizeable hiatus hernia. I had the band removed after 3 years of madness and declined the surgeons offer of a replacement in 2007. I put the 30kgs I had lost over the following 10 months and made the decision to looko into the sleeve. I was sleeved in mid-december 2009 and the difference between the band and sleeve is amazing. I can eat anything! There is no fear of vomiting or blockages or any of the severe nutritional deficiencies that I had with the band. The sleeve wins hands down for me and with the problems you have had a second band would only have a 70% chance of working anyway. Even with the sleeve after a band you still have to work a bit harder than someone who has not had anything done. Good luck with your decision and if you want to know anything else please feel free to ask or pm me....I'll talk about anything... Gastric Sleeve vs Lap Band 65317
Back to top Go down
lisab
Part of the furniture
lisab

Female
Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve vs Lap Band   Gastric Sleeve vs Lap Band EmptyWed 24 Feb 2010, 8:17 am

I have been banded twice (first one slipped) second one didnt work at all and I put on weight as well as vomiting daily and my
health suffered severely as a result.
I have now been sleeved for 3 mths and I have already lost 23kgs (more than double what I lost in 6 years with the band), and my health has improved greatly, I am no longer diabetic, have halved blood pressure meds, no longer have high cholesterol, dont need anti-depressants, and because of the bad eating while I had the band I was severely iron deficient (resulting in a hysterectomy and many blood transfusions and iron infusions, none of which helped), my iron levels are now normal.
The sleeve is so much easier to lead a normal life with as I can go anywhere eat a couple of bites of anything and not have to worry about whether it is going to get stuck or not, and because I can now eat healthy food (meat, vegies, fruit etc) my health has improved.
All I can say is that life is definately better without the band and WITH the sleeve!!!!!

Lisab
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve vs Lap Band   Gastric Sleeve vs Lap Band EmptyWed 24 Feb 2010, 2:29 am

What Apple said, I have heard far more success stories from sleevers than banders.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve vs Lap Band   Gastric Sleeve vs Lap Band EmptyWed 24 Feb 2010, 2:12 am

Being a sleever I am of course pro sleeve. But a couple of things to look at is just how unsucessful second lapbands are, sure they work for some but the majority of those with a second one can never get the restriction again. You can see this on the lapband forum, just search for threads on second lapbands. Sure some sweet little 50kg nothing will yell it worked for me but you will see all the rest whom it has not worked for. The other thing is talk to those who have had the band and the sleeve, I am yet to find a single one who doesnt think the sleeve is far better in both ease to live with and actual working. The sleeve is just a far healthier lifestyle choice with all the fresh meat cooked any way you want all the vegtables again cooked any way you like, the ability to pick up any bit of fruit and just bite into it and know nothing will get stuck. The ability to make healthy choices when in a hurry and know it will fill you up and keep you full.

You do have to understand that anything the second time around tho is going to be slower weight loss for most people.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Cmstant

Male
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-02-23

PostSubject: Gastric Sleeve vs Lap Band   Gastric Sleeve vs Lap Band EmptyWed 24 Feb 2010, 2:04 am

I am trying to decide between getting the Gastric Sleeve or Lap Band. Actually, I have the Lap Band right now, but found out that it has slipped and causing severe reflux and was given the option of a redo or the sleeve... I had the band back in 2006 with decent success, but started having issues and had it unfilled and now having the current issues. Any help would be appreciated....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve vs Lap Band   Gastric Sleeve vs Lap Band Empty

Back to top Go down

Gastric Sleeve vs Lap Band
Page 1 of 1