Lizzy
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Lizzy

Female
Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2012-02-11

Brisbane Hospitals Empty
PostSubject: Brisbane Hospitals   Brisbane Hospitals EmptyMon 13 Feb 2012, 9:31 pm

I live in Around the Brisbane area I'm having a sleeve done by Dr Lockie. He travels to a few different hospitals and I'm unsure which to go to. as I want the best care possible. He travels to Ipswich public hospital which is the closet for me but have not heard good stories from the hospital. I have never had surgery and I'm feeling a little anxious so want to be in good hands. Can anybody help with info on good hospitals.
Back to top Go down
Healthymum
Healthymum

Female
Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2011-12-25

Brisbane Hospitals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brisbane Hospitals   Brisbane Hospitals EmptyMon 13 Feb 2012, 9:44 pm

hey Lizzie, I am an RN and have worked at both Ipswich and QEII and I wouldn't go to either of them. Unsure of where he goes, but he is a fantastic surgeon so you are in great hands. HTH
Back to top Go down
Lizzy

Female

Brisbane Hospitals Empty
PostSubject: Re Brisbane Hospitals   Brisbane Hospitals EmptyMon 13 Feb 2012, 10:40 pm

I'm going to find out exactly what hospitals he does. Even though Ipswich is most convent for me I don't care about traveling as I want to be in good care. Thanks for feedback I have awhile till my surgery but I like to be organized and it makes me feel at ease that I'm in good hands
Back to top Go down
roadtripmama

Female
Number of posts : 183
Registration date : 2010-02-16

Brisbane Hospitals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brisbane Hospitals   Brisbane Hospitals EmptyTue 13 Mar 2012, 9:13 am

I think Phil Lockie works out of brisbane private too.

I personally am attracted to hospitals with a proper ICU and an A&E dept just in case of worse case scenario.(That, and the parking was an expensive nightmare!)...so didnt go ahead with him.

In the end I went with someone else who works at Greenslopes...but the Mater Private would have done the job too. His receptionist will definitely know...give her a call.

Deb
Back to top Go down
Chelle13
Part of the furniture
Chelle13

Female
Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2012-03-07

Brisbane Hospitals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brisbane Hospitals   Brisbane Hospitals EmptyWed 14 Mar 2012, 8:44 am

Hi Lizzy,

I am having my operation at the Wesley Hospital at Auchenflower. My surgeon is Dr Nicholas O'Rourke. Every member of my family has had an operation at the Wesley which is why I chose it. I have seen the care they give and no-one ever had any post op problems or infections.

It is on the opposite side of Brisbane to me, I am on the Northside, but I would rather go where I know and feel like it will be safe.

Chelle
Back to top Go down
Lizzy

Female

Brisbane Hospitals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brisbane Hospitals   Brisbane Hospitals EmptyWed 14 Mar 2012, 10:14 am

I have spoken to Dr Lockie and he informed me he works out of Ipswich hospital a lot. I have heard some bad stories but I had both my girls at Ipswich and I had no issues. I'm very nervous and scared about going into any hospital I just have to have faith that I'm in good hands.
Back to top Go down
Jac1974
Jac1974

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-01-30

Brisbane Hospitals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brisbane Hospitals   Brisbane Hospitals EmptyThu 15 Mar 2012, 4:00 am

Hi Lizzy,

I am a long time reader of this site, but this will be my first post, now that I have something useful to contribute! Dr Lockie performed my operation plus hernia repair at Northwest Private (Everton Park) last week, on 6/3/12.
I have had a textbook recovery so far, with no pain and no problems other than a little dehydration a few days after returning home, which was my own fault. Dr Lockie, Shirley and the anaesthetist all visited me, sometimes twice, on Day 1 and 2, and Shirley was very attentive in organising my discharge on Day 3, before Dr Lockie came to check on me, too. Shirley also phoned me on Sunday to check if I was alright, and organised some scripts for me on Monday, even though they were operating all day. One of the reasons I chose the practice was because of it's integrated approach with pre and post-op care, the support group and the allied health support. So far, I have nothing but praise for how smoothly everything has gone for me..
The nurses and staff at Northwest Private were professional and caring, and I could not fault my experience at the hospital. I am not sure if they have an A&E or ICU, though. I should also say I had my gastroscopy there a few weeks beforehand in the day surgery unit, and that was fine, too
I believe Dr Lockie no longer operates at Brisbane Private, but am not 100% sure about the reasons for this. It would have been more convenient for me geographically but really Northwest Private is only about 15 minutes from the city and the parking is free!
I do agree you need to be very comfortable with your choice of surgeon and hospital prior to under-going such major surgery.
I am feeling very well and very happy about taking control of this situation.
Hope this helps, please feel free to ask any questions if you think it might help.
Jac.
Back to top Go down
Lizzy

Female

Brisbane Hospitals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brisbane Hospitals   Brisbane Hospitals EmptyThu 15 Mar 2012, 8:57 am

Thanks Jac it great to hear that all is going well for you. I so far have been very happy with Dr Lockie also Ive had my day surgery procedure done at Ipswich and all the staff were great. It makes me feel so good to hear of someone who has had good experience with dr Lockie I would love to get to support group but find it hard due to work and family commitments. So this forum really helps to put my anxiety at ease.
Back to top Go down
Val 007
Part of the furniture
Val 007

Female
Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2011-11-15

Brisbane Hospitals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brisbane Hospitals   Brisbane Hospitals EmptyThu 15 Mar 2012, 10:32 am

Brisbane Hospitals 355206 My Surgeon the lovely Justin Greenslade and he works out of Greenslopes Private. I have used this Hospital on several occassions and found the care and the staff to be absolutely wonderful. Would never consider going anywhere else.

Val
Back to top Go down
lindabinda
Top Poster
Top Poster
lindabinda

Female
Number of posts : 1884
Registration date : 2009-07-31

Brisbane Hospitals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brisbane Hospitals   Brisbane Hospitals EmptyTue 27 Mar 2012, 1:32 pm

Hi Lizzy,
I had my sleeve done by Dr Lockie at Brisbane Private and was there this week to see him about doing my gall bladder. He is still operating at Bris Priv, they do have an ICU but if you need an emergency room at all they do tell you to present to St Andrews which is just up the road.
I had a good hospital experience at Bris Private, staff were competant and attentive and the whole of Dr Lockies team visited me while I was there tohelp along the way.

Was really glad to see Jac1974's post as I am having my gall bladder removed at North West Private...... I didn't even know where Everton Park was!!!! But.. the day Dr Phil could fit me on the list at Bris Priv. we had a prior engagement and he could fit me on the list at North West 2 days later.

Hope everything goes well for you, ask others at the support group as I am pretty sure there are some from Ipswich who go to it>>

Linda :-)
Back to top Go down
Lizzy

Female

Brisbane Hospitals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brisbane Hospitals   Brisbane Hospitals EmptyMon 25 Jun 2012, 10:48 am

Anybody had there surgery at North West Private in Brisbane I have no idea where it is or what it like.
Back to top Go down
Stretchmark Barbie
Stretchmark Barbie

Female
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-12-07

Brisbane Hospitals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brisbane Hospitals   Brisbane Hospitals EmptyMon 25 Jun 2012, 10:57 am

Hi!!

I live in Ipswich and have used both the Ipswich public hospital and St Andrews Private of a few occasions. Wouldnt touch the public ever again with a 10ft poll. I was sent home from the emergancy room the other week after miscarrying for several weeks and also none of them picked up the fact i also had gall stones, kidney stones and pancreatitis. St Andrews private in Ipswich is amazing. Not a fault against the staff and facilities. I have also been in St Andrews, Spring Hill very recently for gallbladder removal and they were lovely as well. A bit old and run down but the staff were sweet hearts.

I chose to go to Greenslopes private hospital to have my sleeve done, through Dr Justin Greenslade. It was as good an experience as it possibly could be and all the staff were wonderful. Would definitely recommend going there to anyone!
Back to top Go down
BFSCOTT
Part of the furniture

Male
Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2012-03-22

Brisbane Hospitals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brisbane Hospitals   Brisbane Hospitals EmptyMon 25 Jun 2012, 11:48 am

I'm getting my Sleeve done at the RBWH - I've had the band repaired there, the band removed there and so far the service has been fine, no issues with it at all. The surgeons and nursing staff have always been good to me.

May that continue!!! LOL
Back to top Go down
FMaree

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-05-11

Brisbane Hospitals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brisbane Hospitals   Brisbane Hospitals EmptyWed 15 May 2013, 11:27 am

Hi,
I'm going to Greenslopes Hospital on 24th May. Just wondering do you get your own private room?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
sandygee
Part of the furniture
sandygee

Female
Number of posts : 253
Registration date : 2013-01-26

Brisbane Hospitals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brisbane Hospitals   Brisbane Hospitals EmptySat 18 May 2013, 7:46 am

I'm just home today from Greenslopes Private Hospital Brisbane. It was lovely. The care was excellent.
I was an Enrolled Nurse for nearly 30yrs (I didn't let on to them until I was going home).

From the ease of admission, transfer through pre-op, theatres, recovery & on to the ward everything was very professional. They were great about keeping my sister informed and telling her where she could wait etc.

The staff on ward 35 were very busy but the care was still excellent. I was lucky to have a private room and after the first night I kept the door closed most of the time due to the noise. i think the private room situation depends on what is available on the day you are admitted and whether your health fund covers private room or only shared room.

Discharge medications were organised the day before discharge and once my surgeon - Dr Greenslade - had been I was out with a minimum of fuss.

Sandy
Back to top Go down
eels

Female
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2012-10-18

Brisbane Hospitals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brisbane Hospitals   Brisbane Hospitals EmptySat 18 May 2013, 8:06 am

how much out of pocket is dr Lockie
Back to top Go down
sandygee
Part of the furniture
sandygee

Female

Brisbane Hospitals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brisbane Hospitals   Brisbane Hospitals EmptySat 18 May 2013, 8:27 am

Hi Eels

have a look in the surgeons section....there may be some info on prices there :)

Sandy
Back to top Go down
FMaree

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-05-11

Brisbane Hospitals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brisbane Hospitals   Brisbane Hospitals EmptySat 18 May 2013, 9:59 am

Hi sandy,
Glad everything went well for you. I was at Greenslopes today getting my pre op cxr.
I too am an EEN, and have no intentions of letting it be known during my stay, as I'm just a patient like everyone else.
How are you feeling? Have you been in much pain? I'm excited for Friday but the nerves are kicking in too.
I am covered for a private room so fingers crossed. I have Dr Hatzifotis. Did you stay 4 days?
Hope your feeling well
Fiona
Back to top Go down
sandygee
Part of the furniture
sandygee

Female

Brisbane Hospitals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brisbane Hospitals   Brisbane Hospitals EmptySat 18 May 2013, 11:18 am

Hi FMaree

i haven't actually nursed for 12 years....so much of the equipment has changed & Greenslopes was just lovely!

I stayed 3 nights - which I think is usual for most people.

The first night I had Fentanyl via PCA - which I hooked into a bit too much. They tried to get me up to the loo and I nearly passed out both attempts & then they took the PCA away for a few hours!!! Got it back after I finally peed and only used it a couple times overnight. Next morning they took it away for good & gave me an Endone.....much the same effect on me as the Fentanyl LOL, would not make a good druggie! So less than 24hrs post-op I was just on IV panadol then oral panadol - tiny little caplets. I took my own peppermint tea bags and made myself some tea......it was great for wind. I also had some essential oils for nausea that I used a couple of times. Hot packs were great for shoulder tip pain. Only had that once in hospital. Little bit now that I am home but tolerable. Have had one lot of panadol since coming home at 10am this morning. Will have some before bed.

Good luck with your surgery. I hope you get a private room - it's like being in a nice hotel room!

Sandy
Back to top Go down
eels

Female
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2012-10-18

Brisbane Hospitals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brisbane Hospitals   Brisbane Hospitals EmptySat 18 May 2013, 11:37 am

just wondering how much he charges, thanks
Back to top Go down
sandygee
Part of the furniture
sandygee

Female

Brisbane Hospitals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brisbane Hospitals   Brisbane Hospitals EmptySat 18 May 2013, 11:48 am

Eels

I had Dr Greenslade not Dr. Lockie so I can't tell you how much Dr. Lockie charges!

Dr Greenslade is $3500 for the surgery, $300 for the assistant surgeon and the anaethetist varies from $800 to $2000 depending on the day of the weeks. You also have to factor in your first appointment which from memory was $160 and your dietitian appointments. You will get a rebate from medicare on the surgeons & anaethetist fees and if you are in private health insurance you can claim you dietitian. I also had to pay $450 excess to the private hospital - the rest of the hospital bill is covered by PHI. There may also be pathology costs in a week or two. They always send the portion of your stomach removed to pathology to check for nasties.

Sandy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Brisbane Hospitals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brisbane Hospitals   Brisbane Hospitals Empty

Back to top Go down

Brisbane Hospitals
Page 1 of 1