Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Changing from a band to sleeve: Is the sleeve worth the potential side effects?

Go down 
+3
glenmaree
Janette
leegirl
7 posters
AuthorMessage
LISSYD
Part of the furniture
LISSYD

Female
Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2011-07-23

Changing from a band to sleeve: Is the sleeve worth the potential side effects? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing from a band to sleeve: Is the sleeve worth the potential side effects?   Changing from a band to sleeve: Is the sleeve worth the potential side effects? EmptyWed 25 Jan 2012, 11:43 am

Hi again Suzy blue,Yes I was to do opti for 2 weeks prior to the sleeve but I was very naught and didn't stick to itChanging from a band to sleeve: Is the sleeve worth the potential side effects? 390574 as when I had my band out 5 weeks before my sleeve my liver was in good nick...But it only took 5 weeks of bad eating after band removal for my liver to blow up and it was huge according to my SurgeonChanging from a band to sleeve: Is the sleeve worth the potential side effects? 716201 .I have gone from 119.5 down to 106 on my scales 104 on my Doctors scales..It has been very slow but I do no exercise atm and eat pretty much what I want apart for choc,lollies,chips which I do have but in moderation not daily..My dietitian has told me that they have noticed that x-banders do seem to lose slower than someone that had just the sleeve..But that's not all of ex-banders just a % of them...
Back to top Go down
Val 007
Part of the furniture
Val 007

Female
Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2011-11-15

Changing from a band to sleeve: Is the sleeve worth the potential side effects? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing from a band to sleeve: Is the sleeve worth the potential side effects?   Changing from a band to sleeve: Is the sleeve worth the potential side effects? EmptyWed 25 Jan 2012, 7:51 am

Lissyd

I was debanded at Greenslopes Private by Justin Greenslade. He will also do my sleeve in eight weeks.

Question: Did you do the Diet thing while waiting for the sleeve. I have a

Protein Shake for Breakfast

Half Salad Sandwich for Lunch

Small plate of meat and veges for Dinner

Plus a couple of cups of Coffee and maybe small tub of Fruit Salad after Dinner have not got the munchies yet - but I guess that will happen. Trying not to put any weight on!!!!....

How much weight have you lost since you were sleeved

Suzy Blue
Back to top Go down
LISSYD
Part of the furniture
LISSYD

Female
Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2011-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Changing from a band to sleeve: Is the sleeve worth the potential side effects?   Changing from a band to sleeve: Is the sleeve worth the potential side effects? EmptyWed 25 Jan 2012, 3:49 am

Hell yeah,best thing I ever done..I had band for 4.5 yrs and it was hell..Have been sleeved for 3.5 months now and wouldn't change it for the world..Even though my weight loss is very slow I can still see the changes and such a better life style than the band..I never had any complication,recovered well better than the band and was less painful than the band too! I can eat normal foods,nothing gets stuck,i'm not running to the toilet to vomit..I could go on and on about the pro's of the sleeve compared to the band but I think you get what I'm saying.You do have to keep in mind it's a tool like the band and if you look after it it will return the favour ten folds..Good luck..you will know in your heart if it's the right or wrong thing to do..just read,read and read...Suzy blue...Where did you get done..I was done at the John flynn on the Gold Coast??
Back to top Go down
Val 007
Part of the furniture
Val 007

Female
Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2011-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Changing from a band to sleeve: Is the sleeve worth the potential side effects?   Changing from a band to sleeve: Is the sleeve worth the potential side effects? EmptyWed 25 Jan 2012, 12:55 am

Hi leegirl

Monday afternoon I was debanded. I had a dreadful time with my band you know the vomiting, stuck moments etc etc. I starved myself to loose 23 kgs, it was awful.

When I had the Band I was not offered the sleeve. But after doing reseach and talking to heaps of people who have gone from the band to the sleeve, I have no regrets in having my band out and to go with the sleeve.

I still need to loose another 20kgs so now will continue my weight loss journey with the sleeve.

There are a lots of people who went from band to sleeve on this forum. Read their stories about their journeys. This may give you a clearer picture.

Suzy
Back to top Go down
angelpenny
angelpenny

Female
Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Changing from a band to sleeve: Is the sleeve worth the potential side effects?   Changing from a band to sleeve: Is the sleeve worth the potential side effects? EmptyTue 24 Jan 2012, 9:03 am

I too have had a dream run. Still early days for me (only 2 months out). I do believe that while complications are few and far between, you do need to have a plan - my surgeon was really blunt "ok, who is going to look after your kids if you experience a leak and need to spend 3 months in hospital?"

My partner and I were at the stage where we knew our weight issues were going to shorten our lives and were impacting on our quality of life at that of our children. So while we felt this surgery was absolutely necessary for us, we didn't go in blindly.

Best wishes for whatever you decide is in your future

Cheers
Back to top Go down
vanderaj
Part of the furniture
vanderaj

Male
Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2011-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Changing from a band to sleeve: Is the sleeve worth the potential side effects?   Changing from a band to sleeve: Is the sleeve worth the potential side effects? EmptyTue 24 Jan 2012, 8:28 am

My wife had complications galore with the band. Getting it out had complications.

But once she was on to a gastric bypass (sleeve wasn't an option back then, apparently), the complications stopped. And she could eat apples, steaks, etc, but in much smaller quantities.

However, the sleeve is a tool, look after it. It may not need maintenance like a band does, but it appreciates small quantities.

There are complications in any surgery, but forums are self-selecting, so although it is useful to read through folks' experiences, you need to balance it out that nearly everyone who is sleeved here is doing great after only a few days:

most of the time:

- folks who are well, don't really need a lot of support, and thus don't post often.
- folks who are not well, need help and support, will post more often

So although the operation is pretty safe (IIRC 1:400 chance of dying), the complication rate of 1% quoted by my surgeon is far less than the band (5% failure rate, 30% revision rate). You've already done the scary operation.
Back to top Go down
http://www.greebo.net
glenmaree
Part of the furniture
glenmaree

Female
Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2011-05-22

PostSubject: do your homework before making a decision   Changing from a band to sleeve: Is the sleeve worth the potential side effects? EmptyTue 24 Jan 2012, 7:29 am

Hi Leegirl

I am one of those on this forum who had lots of complications and I have had periods of regret and concern about what happened to me. However, that said, my advice is to do your homework before making a decision, ask the Doctor how many sleeves has he done and what was his success and failure rate, don't let him gloss over the complications - really read and take note, think about the financial implications - do you have the funds to cover additional out of pocket expenses, how would an extended illness impact on your ability to work, check out the Doctor via this forum, ask lots of questions here and elsewhere.

When you have done that weigh up this information against your desire to be heathier, have an improved lifestyle, live longer or whatever is important to you and if the answer is yes then I would say go for it.

I am at the beginning of a new life and am just starting to get excited about my future and can finally say that despite my negative experience I don't regret my decision. Most importantly - stay with this forum - the support, advice and sharing is just amazing!!!
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Changing from a band to sleeve: Is the sleeve worth the potential side effects?   Changing from a band to sleeve: Is the sleeve worth the potential side effects? EmptyTue 24 Jan 2012, 6:42 am

Yes, yes and yes!!

Its everything I hoped for and more. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would be where I am today. Fit and healthy weighing 65 kgs, wearing size 10 clothes after being obese for over 40 years.

I would also like to think that any medical issues that could have been a problem in the future, due to my being obese, have now been stopped in their tracks.

I have been sleeved now for over 2 years, I have had no complications what so ever, no vomiting, no nausea, I can eat and drink anything I want, of course in smaller potions.

Best thing I have ever done!
Back to top Go down
leegirl

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-01-24

PostSubject: Changing from a band to sleeve: Is the sleeve worth the potential side effects?   Changing from a band to sleeve: Is the sleeve worth the potential side effects? EmptyTue 24 Jan 2012, 6:02 am

hello, this is my first time using a forum of any kind so excuse if I dont seem to know what Im doing! I am due to have my band out in a months time as it is "kinking". I have had moderate success, lost 20kgs but have put on again since the band was loosened to alleviate discomfort. Ive read many of your stories and the side effects, or surgeries gone wrong, seem really severe. Is it worth having the sleeve given the possible bad results. How do you all feel after the sleeve, have you had the results you wanted. Basically...is it worth getting the sleeve?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Changing from a band to sleeve: Is the sleeve worth the potential side effects?   Changing from a band to sleeve: Is the sleeve worth the potential side effects? Empty

Back to top Go down

Changing from a band to sleeve: Is the sleeve worth the potential side effects?
Page 1 of 1