12 posters
AuthorMessage
chrissy1987
chrissy1987

Female
Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2012-07-29

Duromine and side effects Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duromine and side effects   Duromine and side effects EmptySun 28 Oct 2012, 9:02 am

iv been on it before ... that stuff is evil... however iv told all my family n friends that dont know about the sleeve that im on it... its the best coverup
Back to top Go down
lililei87

Female
Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2012-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Duromine and side effects   Duromine and side effects EmptySat 27 Oct 2012, 6:48 am

Hi everyone,

I've been taking Duromine for the last 5 days. I've been on it before in the past and didn't really have any major side effects. I've gone on it this time to kickstart my weight loss before I start optifast on the 6th. I have had a few side effects this time around - first few days I was sleeping 4 hours max and I felt like I had swallowed butterflies - my stomach was always fluttering.

But I felt like the weight loss has trumped any side effects I've had. My weight was ballooning up and I've been eating the same for the last year so the sudden weight gain was really unsettling me. I went up to 107.2 and now I'm down to 104. I hope I get down to at least a 100 before optifast.

It's interesting to read surgeons allowed some people to take duromine during optifast. My surgeon has said no, so I'm going to have to stop just before then.

Back to top Go down
Nicky63
Part of the furniture
Nicky63

Female
Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2012-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Duromine and side effects   Duromine and side effects EmptyMon 25 Jun 2012, 10:35 am

Thanks Lin

Will be seeing my dr in a few weeks, but I am seeing a dietician this week so that should help.

You've done extremely well to lose weight prior to your surgery by good old fashioned means, so I will do the same.

It was worth trying the Duromine but it's not for everyone.

You're an inspiration!!
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Duromine and side effects   Duromine and side effects EmptyMon 25 Jun 2012, 9:12 am

Nicky, it doesn't sound like it is doing you any good. Have you spoken to your gp? We are here for you no matter what. Here to encourage and support.

I saw 2 people today that I hadnt seen for ages and both mentioned Id lost weight. One said I'd lost over 10kg. I said yes. This was leading up to surgery over the last 6 mths. It has been an up and down battle but it is possible. I figured I want to get as ready as I can for surgery.

cheers
Back to top Go down
Nicky63
Part of the furniture
Nicky63

Female

PostSubject: Re: Duromine and side effects   Duromine and side effects EmptyMon 25 Jun 2012, 8:59 am

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I have been on duromine for 2 days now and don't know whether it is really worth the side effects.

About an hour after taking it my heart starts racing and anxiety sets in, let alone the drop in my normally good mood. All this after only 2 days.

Don't think I'm designed for this drug. Might just try to do it with good old fashioned diet and exercise until the BIG DAY.

Duromine and side effects 697586
Back to top Go down
Bellshell
Part of the furniture
Bellshell

Female
Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Duromine and side effects   Duromine and side effects EmptySun 24 Jun 2012, 12:57 pm

I took Duromine a couple of times. Started on the low dose then increased it slowly to 40mg. I did lose weight on it. The only side effects I had was the lack of sleep. But taking it first thing in the morning and it settled down after a couple of weeks. I did notice I did sweat more when I exercised and if I took my pulse my heart was beating faster. I had to take my pulse to notice.

You have a long term plan like the sleeve so it sounds like your gp is just offering to help you in the mean time. Personally I would take them and if you have some side effects that you don't like, stop them. If you don't care if you put on weight before your surgery why take them?
Back to top Go down
Kazz
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 479
Registration date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Duromine and side effects   Duromine and side effects EmptySun 24 Jun 2012, 12:54 pm

My surgeon put me on the lowest dose for the 6 weeks that I had to be on a strict Optifast diet before my sleeve surgery. No side effects at all for me, it just took the edge off my hunger, which was exactly what I needed to get through the Optifast phase.

If you want to take it, make sure you do it under strict medical supervision, which it sounds like you are. Perhaps ask yourself if you are willing to continue taking it until your surgery, and if not, have a think about what other strategies you can put in place to prevent weight gain.

It must be an extrememly hard time for you right now, but remember it is temporary, and everyone on here can certainly emphathise with you.
Back to top Go down
Ginka
Part of the furniture
Ginka

Female
Number of posts : 785
Registration date : 2012-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Duromine and side effects   Duromine and side effects EmptySun 24 Jun 2012, 11:56 am

I tried Duromine when I was in my early 20s. I did lose weight, but like others I had heart palpitations, anxiety, problems sleeping and spooky dreams. I also became a feather head at work. On the plus side the house was spotless and I remember scrubbing my pots and pans at 2am in the morning with steelo wool. Having been told it was 'like' speed, made me avoid ever taking speed. It is not maintainable long term. Yucky yucky stuff.
Back to top Go down
JustHayley
Part of the furniture
JustHayley

Female
Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2012-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Duromine and side effects   Duromine and side effects EmptySun 24 Jun 2012, 11:55 am

I also tried Duromine for a short time a few years ago, I found that it messed with my sleep for a couple of weeks but that seemed to settle down ok.

It did cause mood swings though and I ended up stopping because I felt it made me majorly irritable and exaggerated things like loud noises etc. Working in childcare I felt I needed to get off it ASAP as my normal response to noise and general chaos of kids changed dramatically and I was tearing my hair out at the smallest things and it felt like the walls were caving in on me!

I know it was good for extra energy but the negatives were so noticeable that I can't even remember if I lost weight on it or not, I just knew I wanted nothing to do with it anymore!

JH

Crazy

Last edited by JustHayley on Sun 24 Jun 2012, 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JPC
Part of the furniture
JPC

Female
Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Duromine and side effects   Duromine and side effects EmptySun 24 Jun 2012, 11:36 am

Hi nicky63,

I thought Duromine was a test drug and I failed the course. The main impact for me was majorly disturbed sleep and moods, and when, on the rare occassions I got to sleep I had nightmares from hell. I lasted on the drug for 6 days and was an absolute mess.
Back to top Go down
craigmac
craigmac

Male
Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2012-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Duromine and side effects   Duromine and side effects EmptySun 24 Jun 2012, 11:16 am

Try and go without it, duromine is the devil messed me up hard. No sleep, mood swings and when i did sleep had really bad dreams. Thats just my thoughts however.
Back to top Go down
craigmac
craigmac

Male
Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2012-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Duromine and side effects   Duromine and side effects EmptySun 24 Jun 2012, 11:10 am

Try and go without it, duromine is the devil messed me up hard. No sleep, mood swings and when i did sleep had really bad dreams. Thats just my thoughts however.
Back to top Go down
Nicky63
Part of the furniture
Nicky63

Female

PostSubject: Re: Duromine and side effects   Duromine and side effects EmptySun 24 Jun 2012, 10:14 am

Thanks everyone,

Will try it for a few days and see how it goes.
Back to top Go down
Tash
Top Poster
Top Poster
Tash

Female
Number of posts : 1492
Registration date : 2011-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Duromine and side effects   Duromine and side effects EmptySun 24 Jun 2012, 7:14 am

I have taken it a few times in my life. Last time was last year before my sleeve. About 6 months before. I was fine for about a week then I started to get heart palpitations at night. A racing heart beat and started to feel not so good so I stopped taking it. And yes Kateh is right. You have to take it really early in the morning as soon as you get up or you will be unable to sleep at night. It is a kind of amphetamine and that is why you feel really speedy and awake on it. Do take care and if at all in doubt just stop taking it. You may be fine on it but I wouldn't take it over too long a period of time. It is a fairly strong drug. Try to up your exercise and keep crappy food out of the house until you get your sleeve. Best of Luck
Tash xx
Back to top Go down
Kateh (Bluedog)
Part of the furniture
Kateh (Bluedog)

Female
Number of posts : 1159
Registration date : 2011-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Duromine and side effects   Duromine and side effects EmptySun 24 Jun 2012, 5:13 am

Hi Nicky I took Duramine last winter with no major Side effects ended up on 40 mgs. Lost 7 kgs in 2 months due to excessive exersise! Just had to make sure I took it early in the morning or I would be awake at 3am so i set my alarm clock for 5 am then went back to sleep. Just remember it is like speed, well that's what I've been told, so I was exercising like crazy & doing housework at 10 at night. It's a real buzz while you on it. Just remember to eat. I would get really light headed as come 6 at night I realized I hadn't eaten all day.
But in saying that I was one of the lucky ones some of my gf have taken it with terrible side effects!!
Good luck
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female

PostSubject: Re: Duromine and side effects   Duromine and side effects EmptySun 24 Jun 2012, 4:20 am

Yes, I am excited. Not yet nervous per sa. Just need to get stuff ready. Got to get waxing done this week and see if I can squeeze in a haircut. Have to organise dogs vaccs but will arrange to do this after surgery.

Just a few things to sort out. Can't wait till it's over actually. :)
Back to top Go down
Nicky63
Part of the furniture
Nicky63

Female

PostSubject: Re: Duromine and side effects   Duromine and side effects EmptySun 24 Jun 2012, 3:53 am

Thanks Lin

Maintaining my weight would be great. I have gained about 5kg over the last 8 months, so If I can lose this I would feel more comfortable in myself. Its amazing, once you have lost the weight then regained it, it is very uncomfortable.

I noticed your sleeve date, you must be getting so excited and I expect nervous.

Good Luck for Friday!!

Duromine and side effects 217555
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female

PostSubject: Re: Duromine and side effects   Duromine and side effects EmptySun 24 Jun 2012, 3:44 am

i now people who have used duromine and gained weight after they took it but i dont know if they suffered side effects.

nicky63, you can do this. keep watching what you eat and exercise abit. be kind to yourself. I had to wait for surgery, haven't had band though. don't beat yourself up. maybe focus on maintaining your current weight not neccessary losing.

I lost some weight not heaps but it works out about .5kg a week. I struggled, gone up and down. I wanted to try and make it easier for myself.

Duromine and side effects 542174
Back to top Go down
Nicky63
Part of the furniture
Nicky63

Female

PostSubject: Duromine and side effects   Duromine and side effects EmptySun 24 Jun 2012, 2:02 am

Hi Guy's

I had my band removed 2.5 weeks ago and have to wait until November for my sleeve.
Of course I am petrified of putting the weight back on that I have lost.

I have started Duromine 15mg today to see if this will help me. I have never tried this before and have read about all the side effects.

My Dr suggested the lowest dose which I figured I may as well try in the short term.

Just after any thoughts, good, bad or indifferent from those of you who have tried the lower dose.

Thanks

Duromine and side effects 697586
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Duromine and side effects   Duromine and side effects Empty

Back to top Go down

Duromine and side effects
Page 1 of 1