Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The mushy food isn't working.... What do I do now?

Go down 
+5
100%-er
Kate
Pottumpuss
DeeSamRach
carols
9 posters
AuthorMessage
pipette87
pipette87

Female
Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2011-10-05

The mushy food isn't working.... What do I do now? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The mushy food isn't working.... What do I do now?   The mushy food isn't working.... What do I do now? EmptyFri 25 Nov 2011, 10:58 pm

P.S

I am the personification of self sabotage and self doubt. But I have lost 14kg and couldn't be happier with my sleeve. I am always surprising myself with how much better I feel and how calm and confident I feel now. I am sure you will succeed!!!
Back to top Go down
pipette87
pipette87

Female
Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2011-10-05

PostSubject: Re: The mushy food isn't working.... What do I do now?   The mushy food isn't working.... What do I do now? EmptyFri 25 Nov 2011, 10:49 pm

10kg!? Wow!! That is a fantastic result after only 2 weeks!

I lost 10kg in my first 2 weeks also and my surgeon was very happy with that. I think you should be proud of the progress. The mushy food isn't working.... What do I do now? 446871

I found mushie food good but I was happy to start on soft food after the 4 weeks. My surgeon said that we don't want to put any pressure on the staple line in the early healing stage to avoid complications like leaks (very bad) etc. I ended up living on mashed potato and gravy for the first 2 weeks just to get me thru it all and it passed very quickly.

All the best for you and hang it there - it does get easier!

xox
Back to top Go down
lovelyslim
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: The mushy food isn't working.... What do I do now?   The mushy food isn't working.... What do I do now? EmptyFri 25 Nov 2011, 2:15 pm

Hi Carol

I am just a day older than you ....... I am on purees till week 4 and than 2weeks mushies and than normal foods ....... i did try 3 potato chips with gravy cos we were out at westfields today and it went OK ....... ate it really slow and chewed hundred times .......
I do enjoy eggs (manage half an egg) now scambled with skim milk ...i find it goes down well .......
am going out for dinner tomorrow and wouldn't have a clue what can i eat ... as soups are winter menu's ....... i might go for a bit of grilled fish with white sauce and mush it up into puree .....

Anyway looking forward in starting my mushie stage on tuesday 29/11 .......

Love my sleeve
Back to top Go down
alaskybarney
alaskybarney

Female
Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2011-08-26

PostSubject: Re: The mushy food isn't working.... What do I do now?   The mushy food isn't working.... What do I do now? EmptyFri 25 Nov 2011, 1:32 am

I am also on mushies and find I can't eat a large quantity. Saying this I have found that I don't seem to have a negative reaction to any foods as long as they aren't too rich or sweet (very weird as I was a sweet tooth person before the op).

I have found my favourite is fish baked/steamed in the oven with a little bit of mashed potato and pumpkin. I only manage about 30g of fish and a maximum of 1 tablespoon of each vege and this can take me 30 minutes. Its all a learning curve. I also tend to be careful with any new foods, so I will have one mouthful of whatever new thing I'm trying and then wait. If that sits ok then I will have a little more. My OH is still getting his head around how little I can take in.

Good luck and if you have huge concerns then speak to your dietician. My dietician has given me a 4 phase transition diet and said if I move onto a new stage every 4-5 days but if I have issues go back to the previous stage for a further 2-3 days and ten try again. Each of us will heal at different rates so maybe your new tum needs more time.

Good luck

Alaskybarney
Back to top Go down
MoUsEy
MoUsEy

Female
Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2011-10-01

PostSubject: Re: The mushy food isn't working.... What do I do now?   The mushy food isn't working.... What do I do now? EmptyFri 25 Nov 2011, 12:56 am

Hey

i find that once i have my mushie food meal 1 hour later im hungry again so i think everyone is different when it comes to the sleeve,

i find im eating to much mushie foods so now i gotta keep track of what im eating and im 3 weeks post op,

i would love to eat normal foods because they would prob fill me up but im gonna just have to deal with it until i can because i dont want a leak, once i have my meal an hour later when im hungry i will have a bit of feta cheese or an icey pole,

good luck
Back to top Go down
100%-er
Top Poster
Top Poster
100%-er

Female
Number of posts : 1217
Registration date : 2011-01-21

PostSubject: Re: The mushy food isn't working.... What do I do now?   The mushy food isn't working.... What do I do now? EmptyMon 21 Nov 2011, 8:16 pm

All good advice given here, we are all different, our stomachs do take a long time to heal and we have to take it slowly introducing other foods.
I am 7 months out and still find that one day I can eat a whole egg and lettuce sandwich (without crusts) and then the next can't even finish half of one.... just listen to your body, take it slow.

I was surprised by your surgeon's reaction. We all want to please our surgeons, and don't expect them to judge us or put our efforts down.... your surgeon's reaction is not very professional in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female
Number of posts : 2162
Registration date : 2011-06-23

PostSubject: Re: The mushy food isn't working.... What do I do now?   The mushy food isn't working.... What do I do now? EmptyMon 21 Nov 2011, 12:30 pm

Just remember that it takes months and months for our tummies to heal properly. If you eat "normal" food too soon you will be putting pressure on your staple line and this may possibly lead to a leak, which no one wants. Granted your surgeon sounds like a bit of a dick but they give us our post op eating guidelines to follow for a reason. At 2 weeks post op I was only allowed to have puree food. Then after 2 weeks of that I went to mushy/soft food for 4 weeks then at week 9 post op I was allowed back onto a full menu. Be kind to your tummy it will still be inflamed and trying to heal. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Pottumpuss
Pottumpuss

Female
Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2011-05-02

PostSubject: Re: The mushy food isn't working.... What do I do now?   The mushy food isn't working.... What do I do now? EmptySun 20 Nov 2011, 11:20 pm

I agree with the others, your surgeons a dickhead, we try so hard not to be judged and what is he doing......asshole! Please forgive my language.
My surgeon said that our stomachs won't be working properly for 6-8 weeks post op, which is why we're put on the food restrictions that we are, I'm 1 week out today and have put on 1kg (not happy jan) and why, I reckon it's two things, the home made soup and powerade to keep up my hydration and not having had a poo for a week, literally sorry about the TMI. But I'm not ingesting more than 300-500 calories a day, at this point we know that's kinda impossible, but my body has plateaued (spelling?).
But my journey is different to yours and everyone else's, why because we're all individual.
The best advise I was given is DO NOT COMPARE YOUR LOSS OR LACK OF TO ANYONE ELSE. And trust me, people who were sleeved the same date (and are similar weight/circumstance) as me have lost up to 20kgs, I'm only down 8.5, so If I compare with them I may as well opt out now.
I'm off to see the dietian tomorrow, let's hope he's got encouraging news lol.

Give your tummy time to heal properly, it's early days yet.

By the way, I'm tounging for a chip and and Sanger lol
Good luck xxx
Back to top Go down
DeeSamRach

Female
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2011-02-06

PostSubject: Re: The mushy food isn't working.... What do I do now?   The mushy food isn't working.... What do I do now? EmptySun 20 Nov 2011, 8:29 pm

Hi

firstly slow wins the race... THAT'S MY MOTTO...

take things slowly I was sleeved 081011 and still finding it hard to have some mushies they fill me up and I am still learning about my new tum.

take things slowly and take a bite and have a break and see how you feel then take another but at my stage I dont go past 4-5 teaspoons just my rule but if I feel no discomfort I add another teaspoon. but i do not force myself.

Your surgeon is a jerk sorry but I agree with zoemyers dont rush you new tum...

take care

Dee
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The mushy food isn't working.... What do I do now?   The mushy food isn't working.... What do I do now? EmptySun 20 Nov 2011, 6:39 pm

First, your surgeon sounds like a jerk.

Second, chunky dense protein will still be hard on your healing sutures. If you go to normal food, keep that in mind. Lots of normal food can be made smaller, like mince and thick but not chunky soups.

Be wary of eggs. Fo some reason they can be difficult in the early months.

Best,

Zoe
Back to top Go down
carols
carols

Female
Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2011-11-17

PostSubject: The mushy food isn't working.... What do I do now?   The mushy food isn't working.... What do I do now? EmptySun 20 Nov 2011, 1:35 pm

I am struggling with the mushies! I feel like eating normal food. I have eaten normal food and been ok but does this effect things? My surgeon scoffed at my 10kg weight loss ( 2 weeks post op) so now I'm paranoid I will fail. Please can anyone offer some help!?
Caz :0( Boggled
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The mushy food isn't working.... What do I do now?   The mushy food isn't working.... What do I do now? Empty

Back to top Go down

The mushy food isn't working.... What do I do now?
Page 1 of 1