Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
beccyboo78
beccyboo78

Female
Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Did anybody 'mourn' food post op? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did anybody 'mourn' food post op?   Did anybody 'mourn' food post op? EmptySat 09 Jul 2011, 1:15 am

joshuasmum you do make sense. This is what I was worried about and why I started this thread. Well I am now 10 days post op and recovering exceptionally well. I went back to work a 7 hour shift standing up the whole time and running around last night and was fine. I am very lucky.

So this stage of adaption is quite interesting. I am still on pureed foods. When I smell something delicious, I feel like I would like to eat it. Even if I wanted to I couldnt and later on (from my research) I could eat it but only a couple of bites. The fact that I can still have those couple of bites is one of the reasons I chose the sleeve over the band cause technically no food is 'off limits' with the sleeve. A couple of times lately I have eaten to the point of feeling very uncomfortable because my brain thinks that i want that whole bowl of soup. It is like cognitive behavioural therapy though and I have quickly learnt that the pain is not worth the gluttony.

I think that for any achievement to be made, there are some sacrifices along the way and even if we were on a 'traditional diet' we would miss out on stuff too. The difference is in the past we could break it but that's what got us into trouble! My mind is still adjusting to the small amount I can eat but I have no regrets so far. I know that I can eat whatever I like eventually and that it is worth sacrificing the big portions.

That is my opinion so far anyway :)
Back to top Go down
joshuasmum

Female
Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody 'mourn' food post op?   Did anybody 'mourn' food post op? EmptyFri 08 Jul 2011, 4:20 am

I am so glad I found this thread! I am still in the research stages of the sleeve, I have an appointment booked with a surgeon next Thursday for an initial consultation. Whilst I feel that everything about the sleeve just 'feels right', I just have this thought that keeps niggling at me - 'Will I mourn food'? I know that once I have it done and see the success I have with it I won't, but, I don't know I just can't explain it. I suppose like with anything that is a major decison you do overthink things. Oh God, I am rambling and not making any sense am I? I suppose in a nutshell, I am scared that I will get depressed about the amount of food that I can eat and regret the sleeve
Back to top Go down
Oki Doki Joy
Part of the furniture
Oki Doki Joy

Female
Number of posts : 654
Registration date : 2010-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody 'mourn' food post op?   Did anybody 'mourn' food post op? EmptyMon 04 Jul 2011, 2:58 pm

For me there was a gap between my head saying "yummy food" and my new stomach saying "no, stop now". I literally put my fork down & stared at the plate, waiting to see if i could fit more in, willing it to be ok to take more.
Then after 2 or 3 minutes, i felt SO full that the food no longer looked appetising and i push the plate away.

Its taken 6 months but the gap between stomach saying "full" & brain saying "ok" is finally down to a few seconds or so, not a minute or two. I think the signals from the brain were delayed, and have now sped up.

In the past, "just one bit more" had no repercussions. Now they do. But it gets better!
Back to top Go down
http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/the-diary-f8/the-big-joyful-
PocketRocket

Male
Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: I don't mourn food at all - I have broken free from food and loving it   Did anybody 'mourn' food post op? EmptyMon 04 Jul 2011, 1:55 pm

Hello you guys

I am absolutely loving it that I have broken free from food and all those cravings I had.

I am nine months out and love the fact that food is no longer the centre of my universe. The crazy thing now is that I enjoy my food more and loving going out to eat and chatting away and not worrying about the menu.

I definitely do not mourn food post op, but think it's very important to substitute food for another hobby or good habit as you do have lots of time to spare as you are not eating all the time!

I have found seeing extra professional help for nutrition/mind really helped me understand why I was overeating and what different types of food meant to me. Once I got a grip on this, then it all made sense and I am a much happier (and lighter) person for it.

All the best for your journey :-)

PocketRocket
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody 'mourn' food post op?   Did anybody 'mourn' food post op? EmptyMon 04 Jul 2011, 9:46 am

DB5Girl
Don't worry - this stage will pass.
It's not so unusual for some to not want to eat.
Make use of it, because I promise you, it won't last! LOL
I so wish I was back at that stage now...
But yes, it's always a good idea to talk to someone if you're finding it's very hard - after all, the food has been there for us all this time, and to have it wrenched away (literally) is hard to deal with.
Did anybody 'mourn' food post op? 217555
Back to top Go down
snowbunny
Part of the furniture
snowbunny

Female
Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2011-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody 'mourn' food post op?   Did anybody 'mourn' food post op? EmptyMon 04 Jul 2011, 9:14 am

I am Day 5 Post Op and I have been craving Pizza for 2 days.
Tomato Soup and a tiny piece of that 'plastic' cheese was as close as I was going to get. lol
Back to top Go down
beccyboo78
beccyboo78

Female

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody 'mourn' food post op?   Did anybody 'mourn' food post op? EmptyMon 04 Jul 2011, 7:52 am

Thank you for all your wonderful answers. Dbgirl I am worried about the way you are feeling. Have you seen a psychologist? For so many of us food has been our best friend and crutch so your feelings are absolutely understandable. Have you a passion in life? A hobby or an interest to take your mind off food being a form of 'entertainment'? It must be very hard when it is so uncomfortable to eat. Are you taking pain killers?
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody 'mourn' food post op?   Did anybody 'mourn' food post op? EmptyMon 04 Jul 2011, 2:37 am

I find I eat much better quality food than before. But I do have to say that while I can eat anything, there have been times when something has tasted so good I wanted to be able to eat more of it - so if that counts as mourning, yes I do - sometimes. But it never lasts long and I am always glad that I have limits. I still don't trust that there isn't a fat person inside me attempting to escape.
Back to top Go down
Tash
Top Poster
Top Poster
Tash

Female
Number of posts : 1492
Registration date : 2011-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody 'mourn' food post op?   Did anybody 'mourn' food post op? EmptyMon 04 Jul 2011, 1:40 am

I am not mourning at all. I think I am enjoying food more now after being sleeved because I am more conscious of what I am eating and making better choices. And now that I am over the soup stage and my food choices are widening it is a whole new adventure. I hope this experience continues.
Back to top Go down
friskybean
Part of the furniture
friskybean

Female
Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody 'mourn' food post op?   Did anybody 'mourn' food post op? EmptyMon 04 Jul 2011, 1:18 am

Oh my head misses the food terribly, but not my waistline!
I do remember the worst times were when I was in hospital and they kept playing all these takeaway food adds! That big double patty kfc burger just came out and I felt so sad while I sipped on my water! The pizzas looked pretty good too! So yes, there have been some trying times!!
Back to top Go down
DBFiveGirl
DBFiveGirl

Female
Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2010-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody 'mourn' food post op?   Did anybody 'mourn' food post op? EmptyWed 29 Jun 2011, 10:25 pm

Not morn as such but food doesn't comfort me any more. Am five weeks post op and working out what I can eat in terms of soft foods is proving a bit of a mindful. Eating is uncomfortable. Can eat only a few small mouthfuls. It puts me off eating. Eating these days is fraught and frankly dull. I am rarely hungry and often the only reason to eat is because I know I should and that I need the nutrients. Have been increasingly down, possibly in part because food isn't fun any more and I can't distract myself with it any more. But also tastes have changes. I rarely want anything sweet now, despite that most sweet foods go down easier. Am sure it's different for everyone though.
Back to top Go down
http://absolutelygutless.blogspot.com/
AliKat
Part of the furniture
AliKat

Female
Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody 'mourn' food post op?   Did anybody 'mourn' food post op? EmptyWed 29 Jun 2011, 11:45 am

Yeah, I don't mourn food as such as I really do eat just about anything I want! I do get frustrated about the small amount of food I can eat but as I posted somewhere else just a few moments ago, the reason I had a miserable teen and adult life due to being overweight was because I just had very little self-control. I'm guessing like most overweight people, dieting was like "two steps forward and three steps backwards" ... a bloody life of frustration!

So, even though, for example last night we went to our favourite restaurant and I barely ate what a child could eat at the end of the day that is a good thing ... 37 kilos have gone and slowly still going.

I have to change a life time of thinking of "I must eat that mountain of food" to "accepting a little bit will do me".
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody 'mourn' food post op?   Did anybody 'mourn' food post op? EmptyTue 28 Jun 2011, 2:45 am

Strangely I never mourn food.
Mind you I eat anything now at nearly 2 years.
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female
Number of posts : 1702
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody 'mourn' food post op?   Did anybody 'mourn' food post op? EmptyTue 28 Jun 2011, 12:25 am

I dont mourn food as such I guess I just get a bit frustrated sometimes when ive gone to the effort of cooking, preparing or buying a yummy meal and then getting full after 4 forkfuls of it. Darn it.

And sometimes Ill see a burger or something and think 'god how i would love to eat that' and then work out the cost of it, and having about a bite of it, and go 'well its not worth it really'. So it gets a bit frustrating I guess.

But.

In saying this, the burger 'want' is why i needed the sleeve in the first place!!!!

So no regrets here - just some frustrations every now and then I guess xoxoxoxo
Back to top Go down
sweetsleever
sweetsleever

Female
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2011-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody 'mourn' food post op?   Did anybody 'mourn' food post op? EmptyThu 09 Jun 2011, 12:05 pm

I know this is about post op, but I am mourning food on day 4 of opti... especially since my fav show is Master chef....

he he.
Back to top Go down
sassysmum
Part of the furniture
sassysmum

Female
Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2011-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody 'mourn' food post op?   Did anybody 'mourn' food post op? EmptyThu 09 Jun 2011, 8:37 am

Oki doky Joy .... I loooooove your southern drawlin' tummy ...

I wonder what others think their tummy sounds like... I think mine's like a mother in law ... all nag and whinge ...... nags when it's empty and whinges when it's too full....

sassysmum
Back to top Go down
rowdy
Part of the furniture
rowdy

Female
Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2011-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody 'mourn' food post op?   Did anybody 'mourn' food post op? EmptyThu 09 Jun 2011, 1:23 am

oh my god...oki doki joy...u have just succinctly described my experiences sometimes with a really nice meal...and boy does the stomach give me pain...(love the southern drawl...LOL)
Back to top Go down
Oki Doki Joy
Part of the furniture
Oki Doki Joy

Female
Number of posts : 654
Registration date : 2010-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody 'mourn' food post op?   Did anybody 'mourn' food post op? EmptyWed 08 Jun 2011, 11:54 pm

For me there's a time lag between being full (stomach cramping) yet still feeling hungry. My brain says "surely one more bite... It tastes goooood" while my stomach yells back "If you do honey chile, Im going to give you a world if pain!"

Yes my tummy has a Deep South accent Did anybody 'mourn' food post op? 314562

After a minute or two of mexican stand off where the food and I stare each other down, my brain kicks in, I push the plate away, and cant face another mouthful.

The time lag might be because no matter how much I chew & put my fork down in between each bite, i still wolf food down too fast.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/the-diary-f8/the-big-joyful-
rowdy
Part of the furniture
rowdy

Female
Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2011-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody 'mourn' food post op?   Did anybody 'mourn' food post op? EmptyTue 07 Jun 2011, 3:45 pm

I have noticed also that I appreciate taste of food more...am still having trouble slowing down with eating...so get full really quickly
and feel a bit sickly at times after this...old habits are hard to stop
Back to top Go down
sassysmum
Part of the furniture
sassysmum

Female
Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2011-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody 'mourn' food post op?   Did anybody 'mourn' food post op? EmptyTue 07 Jun 2011, 1:26 pm

HI,
I don't think I've mourned food, but what I do have is a greater respect for the food I eat. That's new, so instead of hoovering through whatever I was eating, mindless, I focus and enjoy every last chew, it also satisfies the mouth hunger.
That has been a major shift.... and a good one.
sassysmum
Back to top Go down
Belladonna
Belladonna

Female
Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2011-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody 'mourn' food post op?   Did anybody 'mourn' food post op? EmptyTue 07 Jun 2011, 11:51 am

I didn't mourn food, but I did miss the 'taste' of things in the first few months after surgery. Being full after 3 or 4 mouthfuls means you don't get the same sustained "mouthfeel" of delicious food - and I missed that.

Having said that, I don't at all miss it now 6 months out. I guess I have gotten used to the idea and I think that not being hungry assists this.

Donna
Back to top Go down
beccyboo78
beccyboo78

Female

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody 'mourn' food post op?   Did anybody 'mourn' food post op? EmptyTue 07 Jun 2011, 11:11 am

Thanks Sleevers. It sounds to me that most people who replied have a feeling of loss when considering their past culinary indulgences. This, however is the sacrifice we make in order to be healthy and otherwise happy wouldn't you agree? Maybe once the emotional craving for food subsides we may be able to address our issues in a more positive way - I sincerely hope so Did anybody 'mourn' food post op? 692790
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody 'mourn' food post op?   Did anybody 'mourn' food post op? EmptyTue 07 Jun 2011, 8:59 am

I wish I could eat a roast lamb dinner, with mint sauce with gravy, roast sweet potato, potatoes and peas.

Other than that, I'm good.

I have tried to eat a bit of the above mentioned Sunday roast, but after three mouthfuls, I'm done. I hope one day to be able to eat a bread and butter plate of roast! It was my favourite.
Did anybody 'mourn' food post op? 63412
Back to top Go down
Big Softie

Female
Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody 'mourn' food post op?   Did anybody 'mourn' food post op? EmptyTue 07 Jun 2011, 8:13 am

Somedays I mourn the idea of food. I think " I will never again be able to eat a Quarter pounder!" or an ad will come on tv & I will think "looks great but why bother if I can't eat it all"!

I would say I feel more upset at the thought of wasting food still.

Z
Back to top Go down
Peta
Peta

Female
Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2011-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody 'mourn' food post op?   Did anybody 'mourn' food post op? EmptyTue 07 Jun 2011, 7:41 am

Hi, I'm 6 days post op'. I have no hunger pangs at all. I bought my kids a packet of chips each after school today and usually I would pick at their packets, but today I wasn't even tempted. I think that eating was a bit of a habit. Looking back at it, I was probably never really hungry, just bored or some other emotion.

In saying all of that, I am looking forward to the pureed phase where I can have some mashed potato & pumpkin & gravy. I'm interested to see how it goes down and how much I can have out of the 1/2 cup.

Good luck for your sleeve at the end of the month.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody 'mourn' food post op?   Did anybody 'mourn' food post op? Empty

Back to top Go down

Did anybody 'mourn' food post op?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: