Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

weight loss has stopped in early days, is this normal after a big weight loss??

Go down 
+4
Belladonna
mamacoops
green stargazer
fleastar1977
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Shazbotzski
Part of the furniture
Shazbotzski

Female
Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-08-20

weight loss has stopped in early days, is this normal after a big weight loss?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: weight loss has stopped in early days, is this normal after a big weight loss??   weight loss has stopped in early days, is this normal after a big weight loss?? EmptyFri 30 Sep 2011, 10:28 pm

Donna, I am lactose intolerant too, and I drink low fat zymil. You can get it at coles or woolies, in fridge section. It tastes like real milk.
And Fleisha I had the dreaded 3 week stall too. But the weight.will start coming off again soon.
weight loss has stopped in early days, is this normal after a big weight loss?? 65317
Back to top Go down
Jag
Jag

Female
Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2011-08-29

weight loss has stopped in early days, is this normal after a big weight loss?? Empty
PostSubject: Plateau   weight loss has stopped in early days, is this normal after a big weight loss?? EmptyFri 30 Sep 2011, 8:45 pm

Hi,

yes I have come to a halt losing.3 weeks since surgery and hovering over 200gm down and up.Very frustrating.I have been experimenting with mushy purees but not in big amounts.I guess patience is all we have at this stage!!Everything else is going well so cant complain!
Back to top Go down
SassyMummy
Part of the furniture
SassyMummy

Female
Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2010-08-21

PostSubject: Re: weight loss has stopped in early days, is this normal after a big weight loss??   weight loss has stopped in early days, is this normal after a big weight loss?? EmptyFri 30 Sep 2011, 12:18 pm

Not that I'm an expert, but you know I've had surgery pretty much same time as you, and my weight has barely shifted this week. Oh, I lost 100g from yesterday to today. That's it for the week. lol.

I've read on here and from other sleevers, that around 3 weeks it's common to just STOP losing for a bit. I think it's annoying, but considering it seems common I'm just putting it down to being a part of the journey. I've also heard that you need to consume more to lose more (because your body goes "OMG WTF? You're starving me!" and retains everything!), so you need to let it know that you're NOT starving it. Or something. lol. It's hard t otry and eat more though, I know... but I AM trying... just to see if it helps.
Back to top Go down
http://randomchickrandomthoughts.blogspot.com/
spoggy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2479
Registration date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Hello from spoggy   weight loss has stopped in early days, is this normal after a big weight loss?? EmptyFri 30 Sep 2011, 10:10 am

It is quite normal to plateau once in a while. Some people do not plateau very much. It is your body catching up with what is going on. Quite often you lose cms for a while then the scales move down. So if you plateau for a little bit, don't panic. Keep on doing what you are doing, stick to the basics, you will get the reward.
Back to top Go down
Belladonna
Belladonna

Female
Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2011-01-01

PostSubject: Re: weight loss has stopped in early days, is this normal after a big weight loss??   weight loss has stopped in early days, is this normal after a big weight loss?? EmptyThu 29 Sep 2011, 2:14 pm

Hi Felicia

Haven't got much to say about plateau, but well done on the weight loss so far - outstanding.

I also had really bad runs immediately after surgery and it does seem that I have developed a lactose intolerance (as mamacoops suggested) as well as an inability to eat or drink fatty foods (milk again). This means I couldn't drink Optifast after surgery (which is not really a bad thing, as it tastes horrible!). Try staying off milk/dairy for a while - see what happens.

Good luck with the plateau, and don't worry about it.....you will keep losing, your body is just having a short hiatus.

Donna
Back to top Go down
mamacoops
Part of the furniture
mamacoops

Female
Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2010-07-22

PostSubject: Re: weight loss has stopped in early days, is this normal after a big weight loss??   weight loss has stopped in early days, is this normal after a big weight loss?? EmptyThu 29 Sep 2011, 1:43 pm

Hey Fleastar,

I agree with green stargrazer... this is really normal. Just look up 3-5week stalls... they are a pain but realy common and I think they are a way of your body saying 'woah... what is going on here!' 23kg is a massive amount of weight to lose in a short space of time and your body is probably feraking out a little. I am not a doc... just my opinion! It happened to me too; I experience regular stalls and they are a pain, but you will see the scale move again.

As far as the runs go... it might be that you are slightly lactose intolerant... again, I'm no doc but I have heard that this is happens straight after surgery. Does there seem to be a trigger?

Keep your chin up and rest, wait for you body to adjust and things will pick up again soon... hugs!
Back to top Go down
green stargazer
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 588
Registration date : 2011-03-11

PostSubject: Re: weight loss has stopped in early days, is this normal after a big weight loss??   weight loss has stopped in early days, is this normal after a big weight loss?? EmptyThu 29 Sep 2011, 12:28 pm

Hey fleastar, don't be disheartened, it's quite common to have a plateau not long after surgery. I get them regularly - they're annoying but all part of my little adventure.

I also went through a phase early on where I needed to have a warm drink (tea or just plain warm water) to wake my tummy up before starting the day. You didn't mention if it was hot or cold fluids that you're having so I thought I'd mention my own experience in case it helps at all.

I feel for you. I consider myself really lucky to have not been physically sick once since the sleeve op. I'm not good when I chuck, so you have my sympathy.

The biggest lesson I learnt was to keep putting everything into perspective. Don't be in a rush, just allow your body to go through the various stages as it needs to. This isn't a race or a marathon ... This is just the beginning of the rest of your life with a gorgeous new, slender sleeve (and body to follow!)
weight loss has stopped in early days, is this normal after a big weight loss?? 217555

Back to top Go down
fleastar1977

Female
Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2011-03-05

PostSubject: weight loss has stopped in early days, is this normal after a big weight loss??   weight loss has stopped in early days, is this normal after a big weight loss?? EmptyThu 29 Sep 2011, 9:09 am

Hello

im just wondering if its normal to stop loosing weight 3 weeks after your sleeve????

Im a big lady and ive lost 23kgs in the 3 weeks since surgery and the 2 and half weeks on opti,(so 23kg down in just over 5 weeks) and now for the last 4 to 6 days my weight hasnt moved :( im thinking it maybe my body needing to pull up from the 23 kgs ive dropped already?

In the early days i had issues with the runs so nothing was staying in me, now im on some medication for it thanfully the runs have settled down well mostly :)

Also im having issues with feeling sick in the morning after i drink anything, i try to eat to settle it but it just seams to take forever to settle and in some cases ive had to be sick, i dont think my new tiny tum likes all my medications im on :(

Any advice would be great :)

thanks felisha (fleastar1977)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: weight loss has stopped in early days, is this normal after a big weight loss??   weight loss has stopped in early days, is this normal after a big weight loss?? Empty

Back to top Go down

weight loss has stopped in early days, is this normal after a big weight loss??
Page 1 of 1