AuthorMessage
FaddingAway
Part of the furniture
FaddingAway

Female
Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-05-27

Changes in taste - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 3 EmptyThu 12 Jun 2008, 5:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi
I thought this could be a good topic as I know everyone who has been sleeved has some sort of taste change
Ok mine is no ginger beer and I love it just can't have it any more .At christmas nan would buy all us kids a keg of ginger beer , memories....I am comming to terms with the loss :(
no spicey foods sweet chilly , chilly, Jalapeño , wow I did enjoy these on a salad.
no crust on bread now I am sure that my hair won't curl :( ,
no dry foods like fried rice , chips cold ones hot ones have to have gravy on them I don't like tomato sause,dry meats any kind.
if I eat anything with lots of fat it makes me sick ,like milk shakes baked dinner which is weird cause I cook with no oil or fat.
any more than 1 tiny square of chocolate and up it comes (ewww sorry) could eat the whole family block before. :lol!:
coffee and tea I have gone right off . I have been having the old coffee and milk in a tin stuff, I just need something warm to drink
carbonated drinks are a bit hard to get down the fizzier the worse they are. and the burping afterwards .I actually burp continuously after anything that goes in. oh well I can live with saying excuse me,excuse me, oops excuse me again :oops:
on a better side wine is still on the list :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :lol: and all the things I cn't eat were not good for me anyway so all is good :bounce: :cheers: :cheers:
so there are my no long in mouth stuff.
Would I do it again? OH poo poo yeh
the only thing that I am missing is 30 odd kgs :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Fadding Away
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster

Number of posts : 1344

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 3 EmptySat 26 Jul 2008, 10:19 am

Hi Pretzel,

I'm glad you are pretty much pain free.

I have a little bit of Cottees grape cordial everyday in my water because I can't drink the water straight anymore. I don't like cordial sweet so it's just slightly flavoured to take away the taste.

steph :flower:
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 3 EmptySat 26 Jul 2008, 10:11 am

that is fantastic news :) I had a glass of wine 5 weeks out, but found it a bit tough to take *LOL* So waited a few more weeks before trying again. I think it was about 3 months out and while hotter I had a glass at least 2 or 3 times a week. During winter I tend not to drink tho. bit odd I know. A lot of people started off with a bit of kahlua and milk for their first drink. I remember this as my surgery was just before christmas so drinks where on everybodies mind :) A beer is something that should not even be considered for 3 months and might be longer before more than half a glass goes down comforaly. Do not forget you do not have as much food in your stomach OR stomach area for the alcahol to absorb slowely into your system so a lot of people tend to turn into cheap drunks ;)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 3 EmptySat 26 Jul 2008, 9:49 am

Wow, Pretzel, sounds like you're doing great!
Glad everything went so well for you.
I have diet cordial sometimes - I find it easier than straight water going down.
Take it easy.
Chris
Back to top Go down
pretzel.1970
pretzel.1970

Female
Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-05-29

PostSubject: Pretzel is back   Changes in taste - Page 3 EmptySat 26 Jul 2008, 9:45 am

Hi all,
I have arrived home from hospital today (operation Wednesday afternoon).
Feeling pretty damn good - can't belive how painless the whole thing has been.

Had to actually walk into the surgery theatre which was weird, woke up feeling very chatty and had a couple of nurses watching tele with me a bit that night. Day after op felt fine but struggled with the whole drinking thing, doctor kept the drip in until Friday to keep me hydrated and as a way to medicate me with nexium and blood thinners.
Walked to the toilet Wednesday night and did walks around the hospital (even up and down stairs) every day - it really helps with the gas build up and getting liquid in.

On Friday had drips and tube in stomach removed and boy did that make a huge difference - I felt like I had freedom again. Friday morning took me 6 hours to drink my apple juice - today 1 hour.
Can't believe the lack of pain involved, for those pre op guys it does't even come close to my knee operations in regard to pain.

Today I have had small apple juice, 2 cups black tea and pureed potato, spinach and chicken soup (homemade) plus water, water, water.

Has anyone tried cordial as something different to drink?
Also has anyone introduced red wine back into their diet - I have had blot clots in the past and used to religiously consume a glass or two every night (as advised by my doctor) as it helps thin the blood.

Good to know everyone is still going great - I am looking forward to seeing what happens over the next few weeks.
Cheers for now,
xx
Back to top Go down
FaddingAway
Part of the furniture
FaddingAway

Female

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 3 EmptyMon 16 Jun 2008, 9:26 am

poor buggar so close and yet so far away
try breathing heated air.
don't go out in the night air and maybe vapour inhaler...vix or Eucalyptus in a bowl of hot water and cover with a towl and close your eyes breath as deep as you can and spit out any yuk that coms up
anything is worth a try
good luck
Fading away
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female
Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 3 EmptyMon 16 Jun 2008, 8:05 am

Thanks for all your hints and tips everyone....i love it. It is great to talk to people that have had this done, not just the dietician and dr.... theyknow the medical side but not the real side

11 days to go :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I cant wait....i know it will be hard work for the first 6 weeks but hey the outcome is just gonna be fantastic

Has anyone got a good remedy for a deep down chest cough...i need to get rid of it before surgery. Im taking anti-biotics, ventalin, cough mixture and vicks on my feet... :lol!:
The knock out guy told me that he would postpone the op if i dont get rid of it :( i dont want that to happen.)

Nicole ☀
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 3 EmptySun 15 Jun 2008, 11:14 am

There is nothing I can not eat since the sleeve. I found things like icecream custard and yoghurt difficult things at first as they sat rather heavy in my stomach to start with. I also find the amount of pasta or rice I can eat is tiny. But that doesnt stop me eating my fav gnochi :) Now for lack of interst I have tried a hungry jacks whopper and spat it out, it just tasted vile, same goes for a cheese burger from mcdonalds. It just tastes like pure fat now. I will have HJ grilled chicken burger or a lean burger from mcdonalds. But the reality is I just have so little interest in the stuff the chances are the male of the species will go pick it up for the kids and we will have soup or something else out of the pantry for dinner. so NEVER heard of before surgery *LOL*
The male of the species had a few problems with tough meat after surgery and even had a tougher time starting out with rough texture food. He could feel stuff like that in his stomach where I could not. This seems now 6 months out to be close to gone now except the odd bit of very tough steak.
I have also heard of people being told they will not be able to eat the weirdest things after a sleeve but I am yet to meet anybody 6 months after surgery who has a problem with anything. Oh and fizzy drinks not a problem tho it was about 4 months maybe a tad longer before they went down easy. My surgeon says the first 6 weeks is the important healing time, look after your tummy then and it should stay the size he made it :)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 3 EmptySat 14 Jun 2008, 11:28 am

Hey all,
I have a few different tastes in some foods now, but near as many as Fadding. I think that may be because her surgeon has given her a pouch, instead of a tube. I know that sounds strange, but it may be the case.
The main things that I dont really have anymore are:
Tuna
Chocolate
Bread.
Flat bread is ok, but of course only a little of it. I used to love tuna, but the texture of it just makes me feel horrible now.
Chocolate tastes far too sickly sweet for me, so I dont even want it if its around.
Bread is just a no go unless its toasted. Maybe it will change the further I am from the date of my surgery, but for now, I am not wanting it, and it feels to heavy anyhow.
If I come up with anything else, I will jot it down.
Unlike Fadding, I can have rice, fried rice and a hint of chilli is ok. But I dont tolerate the heat as much as I used too.
I have not vomited once since leaving the hospital, and I cannot tell you how relieved I am not to be leaning into the toilet every day, like I did for over 3 years before!!
Hayley
Back to top Go down
Jezzybel
Part of the furniture
Jezzybel

Female
Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2008-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 3 EmptyFri 13 Jun 2008, 6:08 am

That is a lot... wow. I hope I can still have sweet chili!
My dietitian did say a lot of people post-sleeve don't get cravings for chocolate or carbs as much anymore, or at all... god, I hope that happens to me!
Congrats on your awesome loss Fadding Away!
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 3 EmptyThu 12 Jun 2008, 10:39 pm

Wow - that's heaps of changes! I knew that tastes changed after the op, but didn't realise it could be quite so drastic. Thanks for the heads up.
Chris
Back to top Go down
FaddingAway
Part of the furniture
FaddingAway

Female

PostSubject: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 3 EmptyThu 12 Jun 2008, 5:54 pm

Hi
I thought this could be a good topic as I know everyone who has been sleeved has some sort of taste change
Ok mine is no ginger beer and I love it just can't have it any more .At christmas nan would buy all us kids a keg of ginger beer , memories....I am comming to terms with the loss :(
no spicey foods sweet chilly , chilly, Jalapeño , wow I did enjoy these on a salad.
no crust on bread now I am sure that my hair won't curl :( ,
no dry foods like fried rice , chips cold ones hot ones have to have gravy on them I don't like tomato sause,dry meats any kind.
if I eat anything with lots of fat it makes me sick ,like milk shakes baked dinner which is weird cause I cook with no oil or fat.
any more than 1 tiny square of chocolate and up it comes (ewww sorry) could eat the whole family block before. :lol!:
coffee and tea I have gone right off . I have been having the old coffee and milk in a tin stuff, I just need something warm to drink
carbonated drinks are a bit hard to get down the fizzier the worse they are. and the burping afterwards .I actually burp continuously after anything that goes in. oh well I can live with saying excuse me,excuse me, oops excuse me again :oops:
on a better side wine is still on the list :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :lol: and all the things I cn't eat were not good for me anyway so all is good :bounce: :cheers: :cheers:
so there are my no long in mouth stuff.
Would I do it again? OH poo poo yeh
the only thing that I am missing is 30 odd kgs :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Fadding Away
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Changes in taste
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3