AuthorMessage
Donna-lee
Part of the furniture
Donna-lee

Female
Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2008-06-01

Changes in taste Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste EmptySun 26 Oct 2008, 6:45 am

Hi RitaB,

you are not alone in craving diet coke, I am dreaming about it...LOL (I dying for one)

Donna-lee
Back to top Go down
RitaB

Female
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-10-26

Changes in taste Empty
PostSubject: Changes in taste   Changes in taste EmptySun 26 Oct 2008, 1:09 am

I am so glad to read this. I didn't know that changes in taste were common and also the lack of interest in water! I do get hungry for meals,
but nothing really interests me. Its like when you get a taste for something, but you just can't identify what you want. And water is just
not tasting that good. But adding Crystal Lite or other powdered drinks makes it almost worse! I am craving Diet Coke like it was
chocolate cake!

PreOp weight: 323 lbs/147 kg
PostOp: 274 lbs/ 125 kg
Date sleeved: 21 July 2008
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female
Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-05-28

Changes in taste Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste EmptyThu 16 Oct 2008, 9:50 am

its TTOM for me also....i keep trying to blame that for my lack of weight loss this week....hopefully im right
I did have a few sweet things today and enjoyed them but savoury seems to win most of the time

Nicole
Back to top Go down
jacquilove77

Female
Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-19

Changes in taste Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste EmptyThu 16 Oct 2008, 9:24 am

me too nicole - used to have a big sweet tooth now i tend to go for savoury. when it's TTOM (which it is atm) I will want something sweet but it doesn't take as much to satisfy me, and normally i'm not that fussed.

i won't eat anything that is too dry like chicken breast or steak that has been overcooked - have always preferred my steaks medium rare but now is a necessity
i still struggle with water and don't like the taste but try to drink at least a few glasses plus other liquids to keep hydrated
when i get really hungry i just want pure protein - everything else feels like a waste of time
i do get cravings for salad (i always enjoyed them but now love them more) but find they are quite filling maybe because of the fibre?
i can't eat too much starchy foods - pumpkin, potato (and hot chips), rice, bread - i don't mind just a little bit but looking at a big bread roll makes me feel ill. they sit too heavy in my stomach when i eat them.
i don't like to eat much of anything with too intense flavours - used to like very sweet or very salty - now can only handle a little of that.

i can physically eat anything but this is what i've noticed.
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female

Changes in taste Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste EmptyTue 14 Oct 2008, 9:46 am

it must be the time for chris and steph as i had some water yesterday as was able to tolerate it....just...lol

It really weird but i tend to enjoy more savoury things now than sweet

Nicole
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344
Registration date : 2008-05-27

Changes in taste Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste EmptyTue 14 Oct 2008, 9:33 am

I haven't been able to drink water for 3 months and had to add cordial but just this week I have started to drink it alone and it's okay now.

steph
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Changes in taste Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste EmptyMon 13 Oct 2008, 11:22 pm

I had a few taste changes at the beginning, but now I'm pretty much back to normal as far as taste goes.
Water is still an issue for me too, but not as revolting as it sounds to you guys.
I still love my chocolate and ice cream, but don't have it much - but the big change is that I can have a little and be satisfied with it, rather than having a little and that being just a precursor to a need for heaps of it to feel like I've had any!
Chris
Back to top Go down
hayley_james
hayley_james

Female
Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2008-09-22

Changes in taste Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste EmptyMon 13 Oct 2008, 10:37 pm

bigbugger71 wrote:
YES water tastes disgusting now! i feel like I can taste every metal pipe it has travelled through to get to my house!

Oh my god........ ME TOO!!!! Everyone at work thinks I am crazy............

Good to know I'm not the only one!
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

Changes in taste Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste EmptyMon 13 Oct 2008, 1:50 pm

Something I love now is cheese. I hated it pre-op.

steph
Back to top Go down
pretzel.1970
pretzel.1970

Female
Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Changes in taste Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste EmptyMon 04 Aug 2008, 8:51 am

Hey Oldfart,
I was a little slack with my water intake before the op as well - and when I did it was normally a skull not a sip. Post op you'll soon find out if you don't keep it up, my lips were dry every morning for a few days and I was getting a few headaches - as soon as I upped my water all was well again.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Changes in taste Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste EmptySat 02 Aug 2008, 6:05 am

your body does adjust to the liquid and tho it seems like you are goinglike crazy after a few weeks your body learns to adapt :)

If weight loss slows down increase liquids as that will make the weight move as long as it is calorie free.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Jezzybel
Part of the furniture
Jezzybel

Female
Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2008-06-01

Changes in taste Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste EmptySat 02 Aug 2008, 3:21 am

Walking to the toilet and back every 5 mins is good exercise... at least it is at our house, we have stairs. Which I can practically bound up now instead of dragging myself by the bannister and puffing. Well, it's probably not a bound, but it's a little more dignified, and I'm happy with that.
Back to top Go down
oldfart
oldfart

Male
Number of posts : 212

Changes in taste Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste EmptySat 02 Aug 2008, 3:11 am

Hi Ladies, Absolutely!! water is disgusting I can have it as cordial (no diet stuff ugh!)

I know I am going to really struggle with the liquid stuff anyway as I cant get much more than 500ml a day down now and have been like that for many years, er unless I am having a few stubbies that is, I am lucky to have one drink a day most days, though usually have a cup of milk on my weetbix and possibly I might have a cup of coffee some days, though I dont mind the odd earl grey tea so I might try and drink a bit more of that. I tried yesterday to drink as much as I could and managed about 1250 mls the only problem is I end having to point percy at the porcelain throne too often ........
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

Changes in taste Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste EmptySat 02 Aug 2008, 12:45 am

YES!! I am so glad you said that BB, all I can taste in water is all the pipes it has been through too!!
Im not alone!!
Back to top Go down
bigbugger71
bigbugger71

Female
Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Changes in taste Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste EmptyFri 01 Aug 2008, 10:51 pm

YES water tastes disgusting now! i feel like I can taste every metal pipe it has travelled through to get to my house! YUK AND sipping makes it go down the wrong way so I end up coughing and that HURTS! cordial, tea. coffee, whatever, it's all liquid! Get it down your neck!
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

Changes in taste Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste EmptyFri 01 Aug 2008, 10:07 pm

There you go, Nicole - another anomaly! Why can't they all tell us the same thing, eh? Ranting
Chris
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

Changes in taste Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste EmptyFri 01 Aug 2008, 9:48 am

Hi Pretzel,

At week 2 I had lost 8.5 kg; week 3 10.3kg and week 4 which is now I have lost 11.1kg all up.

I think I'm 166cm.

Funny how water is so disgusting for just about everyone after this surgery. I wonder if I'll ever enjoy it again!

Hope the multivitamins help. I must admit today is the first day I have forgotten to have mine.

steph
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female

Changes in taste Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste EmptyFri 01 Aug 2008, 9:30 am

i was told that coffee ( has to be black) is counted in your clear fluids

Pretzel....congrats on your wonderful loss
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

Changes in taste Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste EmptyFri 01 Aug 2008, 5:27 am

I find tea and coffee go down really well, so I drink de-caf tea and that's counted in the fluid intake. I have de-caf coffee occasionally, too, but I'm not sure that's included.
For me, water is the hardest thing to go down, although cordial is better. And I have the occasional juice, but just about half a glass.
And if I haven't been eating much, or trying to sleep, I'll go for a glass of warm milk with some hot chocolate in - not much, but enough to flavour it a little.
Hope this helps.
Chris
Back to top Go down
pretzel.1970
pretzel.1970

Female

Changes in taste Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste EmptyFri 01 Aug 2008, 4:39 am

Hi Chris, Yep keeping up the liquids but it's a struggle - I have to constantly remind myself, am I'm so over water - but cordial is OK.
Have started taking a multi vitamin because was feeling a little light headed occasionally.

Hey Steph, didn't realise how a like we were - what's your height I'm 160cm. How was yor week 2 loss - what am I aiming for??
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

Changes in taste Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste EmptyThu 31 Jul 2008, 11:31 am

Hi Pretzel,

You're doing great. How funny we could be twins almost. Our surgery was booked for same day (even though mine was brought forward) and in our first weeks, we've lost the same and our starting weight was almost same.

Good luck on Tuesday at your post op appointment, I'm sure it'll go fine.

steph
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

Changes in taste Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste EmptyThu 31 Jul 2008, 8:16 am

Wow, that's amazing, Pretzel! Fantastic! Congratulations, and I hope that it continues to go down quickly for you.
You are keeping up the liquids, aren't you?
Chris
Back to top Go down
pretzel.1970
pretzel.1970

Female

Changes in taste Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste EmptyThu 31 Jul 2008, 7:37 am

Thanks all,
I'll leave them on - my post op appointment is on Tuesday, so the Dr can take them off then.

Jumped on scales today and have lost 5.3 kilos in the first week.

Start Weigh was 101.5
Today 96.2

Hope my second week on liquids returns a good loss as well.
Cheers xx
Back to top Go down
Lou
Lou

Female
Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Changes in taste Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste EmptyThu 31 Jul 2008, 1:55 am

Hi Applesauce,

Thanks for the great scambled egg tip. Will keep it in mind for the when I eat again.

Lou
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

Changes in taste Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste EmptyWed 30 Jul 2008, 9:49 am

Hi Pretzel,

Leave them on. Dr France will take them off when you go to your post op appointment.

He told me only to take them off if they were starting to come off themselves or he would remove them when I went to see him and that's what happened.

steph
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Changes in taste Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste Empty

Back to top Go down

Changes in taste
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next