AuthorMessage
FaddingAway
Part of the furniture
FaddingAway

Female
Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-05-27

Changes in taste - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 2 EmptyThu 12 Jun 2008, 5:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi
I thought this could be a good topic as I know everyone who has been sleeved has some sort of taste change
Ok mine is no ginger beer and I love it just can't have it any more .At christmas nan would buy all us kids a keg of ginger beer , memories....I am comming to terms with the loss :(
no spicey foods sweet chilly , chilly, JalapeƱo , wow I did enjoy these on a salad.
no crust on bread now I am sure that my hair won't curl :( ,
no dry foods like fried rice , chips cold ones hot ones have to have gravy on them I don't like tomato sause,dry meats any kind.
if I eat anything with lots of fat it makes me sick ,like milk shakes baked dinner which is weird cause I cook with no oil or fat.
any more than 1 tiny square of chocolate and up it comes (ewww sorry) could eat the whole family block before. :lol!:
coffee and tea I have gone right off . I have been having the old coffee and milk in a tin stuff, I just need something warm to drink
carbonated drinks are a bit hard to get down the fizzier the worse they are. and the burping afterwards .I actually burp continuously after anything that goes in. oh well I can live with saying excuse me,excuse me, oops excuse me again :oops:
on a better side wine is still on the list :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :lol: and all the things I cn't eat were not good for me anyway so all is good :bounce: :cheers: :cheers:
so there are my no long in mouth stuff.
Would I do it again? OH poo poo yeh
the only thing that I am missing is 30 odd kgs :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Fadding Away
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster

Number of posts : 1344

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 2 EmptyWed 30 Jul 2008, 9:49 am

Hi Pretzel,

Leave them on. Dr France will take them off when you go to your post op appointment.

He told me only to take them off if they were starting to come off themselves or he would remove them when I went to see him and that's what happened.

steph
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 2 EmptyWed 30 Jul 2008, 9:26 am

I was told 5-7 days after leaving the hospital for taking them off.
Because I heal slowly, I left them on a couple of days longer, but the GP checked them out then and said that maybe they'd been left on a couple of days too long.
Hope this helps.
Chris
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 2 EmptyWed 30 Jul 2008, 8:09 am

The male of species came off beofre the week mine stayed on until 10 or 12 days and needed replacing every shower then so I thought it was time for them to go. If they are not falling off give them a couple more days then yank them if you want. If worried ask your GP :)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
pretzel.1970
pretzel.1970

Female
Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 2 EmptyWed 30 Jul 2008, 7:18 am

Hey Guys
When did anyone take offf the strips over your wounds?
I'm a week post op today and there still firmly in place (except around the edges), should I be pulling them off?

Other than that all seems to be going OK, just have to constantly remind myself to sip sip sip.

Going to hit the scales tomorrow and see what's happened over the first week - it's been hard so far not to jump on but I wanted to not become a slave to them in week one.

Will let you all know tomorrow how it goes.
xx
Back to top Go down
Donna-lee
Part of the furniture
Donna-lee

Female
Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2008-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 2 EmptyWed 30 Jul 2008, 3:16 am

mmmmmm would martha lie???maybe. :lol!: :lol!:

Donna-lee :flower:
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 2 EmptyTue 29 Jul 2008, 1:03 pm

scrambled eggs the martha gardner way. snacp lock bag, inside put 2 eggs and any other stuff you want with it give it a shake make sure all the air is out of it and pop in the microwave for 3 minutes. Remove for perfect cooked eggs every time.
now would martha lie to you ;)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 2 EmptyTue 29 Jul 2008, 10:28 am

Get a dishwasher !!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 2 EmptyTue 29 Jul 2008, 3:18 am

LOL Asnewme1,

you are onto something there, after reading what you say about the egg thing, it does all seem like hard work!!
I mean, washing the pan at the end, that just puts me off cooking for life!! LOL.
Damn pans.

Hayley
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 2 EmptyMon 28 Jul 2008, 7:56 pm

ROFL, Asnewme!
You do scrambled eggs the hard way - I just chuck them in the microwave for a minute, then stir, then do them for another minute and bingo!
Unfortunately, I still have to do the washing up, though.
And the only reason I do casseroles is so that I don't have to cook something every day - basically I don't like cooking either.
Chris
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female
Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Confessions of an unwrapper zapper   Changes in taste - Page 2 EmptyMon 28 Jul 2008, 5:39 pm

I am so pathetic- I was going to go on Weight Watchers after the surgery but listening to you all roasting and casseroling I am feeling soooo overwhelmed at all the work. Maybe Jenny Craig is in my future again????????

I mean for me scrambling eggs is a lot of work- you have to rinse the pan, then you have to pour out the liquid eggwhites, then you have to stand there for three minutes and scramble the thing, and then- insult to injury you have to clean the pan.

How is that for whinging..............

And as for freezing things in small portions- well once something in this house is consigned to the freezer it is as good as dead. Three years later it will be unearthed in a completely freezer burned, fossilized form.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 2 EmptyMon 28 Jul 2008, 10:12 am

Pretzel,

I cooked up bacon, fetta cheese and sundried tomato muffins a week and a half out of surgery. Just because I was bored even though I knew I couldn't eat them. I was the only one home as my kids were away in the snow so I froze them with good intentions of sending them to school with them for a healthy lunch.

Well my daughter didn't like them because they got sundried tomato in them and my son refused to even try them.

I ended up given the whole lot to my ex husband ......... how sad is that?

steph :flower:
Back to top Go down
Jezzybel
Part of the furniture
Jezzybel

Female
Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2008-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 2 EmptyMon 28 Jul 2008, 6:03 am

Hayley, maybe you can start cooking gourmet doggie treats for Dexter - at least you won't be tempted to pick at them while you're cooking :lol:
I've never been any good at cooking dinner-style stuff, but baking (cakes, cookies, pastries, etc.) has always been my forte and I'm kind of missing that. But because I've been staying with Mum, we've been doing the big cook-ups of soup and stew sorts of things, so I'm learning slowly. I'm also finding that I'm actually enjoying the process of preparing and presenting my tiny portions of food, which is a new experience for someone who only ever unwrapped-and-zapped meals in the past... or went through drive-throughs :oops:
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 2 EmptyMon 28 Jul 2008, 4:32 am

Hi guys
Well, I don't love cooking, but we have been doing a bit of a cook-up on weekends to make it easier during the week. My hubby does the big commute, and doesn't get home until nearly 8 at night, so it's good to have something that I can just heat up quickly for him - especially when I'm not eating much at all.
I'm running late this week, as I'm still sick, but this morning I've just put on a huge slow-cooking casserole, and in the fridge I have chicken pieces and a whole chook that I got out of the freezer yesterday to cook.
Obviously my head hasn't caught up with my stomach yet! :lol!:
But as someone else said, I just cook it all up and freeze it in portions - bigger ones for hubby and smaller ones for me. Even so, I don't think I'll have to cook next weekend at all!
Chris
Back to top Go down
jacquilove77

Female
Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 2 EmptyMon 28 Jul 2008, 2:56 am

hey pretzel

maybe you can cook anyway... meals that can be frozen either for your daughter's return or when you get onto more mushies or normal food. i'm finding now that i have so little room in my tummy it's nice to have variety at each meal. so if you cook a couple of different casseroles/ wetter style meals you can freeze them into little plastic containers (250ml or so) and you will appreciate it being able to take one out of the freezer and only having to eat it once or twice before trying something different.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 2 EmptyMon 28 Jul 2008, 2:28 am

Wow Pretzel,

I can really relate to that sunday night thing-planning the meals ahead. I love to cook, and beleive it or not, I dont always cook because I am hungry. I find cooking an outlet, and so this has been really hard. I have to put my energy into something else now, and I am yet to find it. Although this Dexter is keeping me busy!
I am glad you are up and about and feeling good. I hope it gets better and better for you!
Hugs,
Hayley
Back to top Go down
pretzel.1970
pretzel.1970

Female
Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 2 EmptyMon 28 Jul 2008, 2:18 am

Thanks everyone,

Although Kahlua sounds great I'm more concerned with the blood thinning aspects of red wine, it's actually very good for people like me who have had blood cots before. Plus I work in the industry so there is no way I'll be able to avoid it for 3 or more months but my doctor knows that and said I could get away with a glass every hour which will be fine.
I was just interested in when others introduced it - of course I won't sacrifice the protein or nutrients required I'll make sure I eat before functions etc.

Last night I experienced the 4 o'clock wake up - very weird, I almost laughed. Anyway I did some deep breathing learnt through yoga and just concentrated on my breathing and fell straight back to sleep until 8am.

Cinni - Can't recommend the walking high enough and don't expect to get to much in the first 2 days in hospital - I barely managed anything (6 hours for one small apple juice) but by day 3 onwards it improved rapidly.

Chris, Steph, Hayley - So glad to here you all say that about water, I was always a big water drinker and now I struggle with it. For those of you that like tea - try the Bickfords Iced tea and lemon cordial it really tastes like iced tea, I throw an ice cube and slice of lemon or ginger in with it as well and it feels all fancy.

Can't believe how little I'm eating and how I'm not hungry but the mind is a different thing.
Last night I was thinking about the weeks aheads meals like I do every Sunday. My bonus daughter is off to Africa wednesday to volunteer for 3 weeks to help build houses for a poor community so I sort of realised that I won't really have meals to prepare - this is messing with my head as I'm a real foodie and cooking relaxes me. I'm also still thinking of things to cook - I don't think my head realises it's friend tummy isn't in the game anymore - have others had this problem?
Cheers xxx
Back to top Go down
liquefiedstars
liquefiedstars

Female
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 2 EmptySun 27 Jul 2008, 2:27 am

Pretzel great to hear that your surgery went well and that you are feeling so good. :) I will be sure to remember to get my big bum out of bed as soon as I can after surgery. :)

asnewme what on earth is Crystal light? Do we have it over here in Oz I wonder?

Cinni
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female

PostSubject: Plug for little tubes of Crystal Light   Changes in taste - Page 2 EmptySat 26 Jul 2008, 11:12 pm

My husband buys these boxes with thin little tubes of Crystal light- We pour one in a regular water bottle and they taste very good. I don't know how much the box costs though. Even if I did, it wouldnt help all of you over there figure out if it was economical.
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female

PostSubject: Hey Pretzel- Now that is more like it!   Changes in taste - Page 2 EmptySat 26 Jul 2008, 11:10 pm

3 nights in and then back home- Excellent - this is good, very, very good. I think you are right- walking around is key. Each surgery I have had I found that walking (and throwing up the anesthesia) were the two most helpful things.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 2 EmptySat 26 Jul 2008, 9:14 pm

Oh wow - thanks everyone - and I thought it was just me being weird with the water! :lol!:
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 2 EmptySat 26 Jul 2008, 11:54 am

Welcome back Pretzel,

Great to hear your doing so well!! Great to have you back with us sweetums!!
Take care, rest up, and be very very good to yourself!!

Hugs,

Hayley
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 2 EmptySat 26 Jul 2008, 10:25 am

:lol!: you know I went to lunch today and everyone there doesn't like water straight anymore either. How weird is it and when I told my surgeon last week at my post op appointment he said a lot of people say the same thing.

Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female
Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 2 EmptySat 26 Jul 2008, 10:22 am

:lol!: :lol!: I just said the same thing steph
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female
Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 2 EmptySat 26 Jul 2008, 10:21 am

I do have cordial most of the time instead of water ( cant stand the stuff) I havent had diet but i have it really weak, my kids say it still tastes like water, but i like it that way. I also have apple juice but watered down now.

Nicole ☀
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 2 EmptySat 26 Jul 2008, 10:20 am

Hmmm Kahlua 'ey Apple? I've got 2 full bottles of that in my cupboard :drunken: :drunken:

Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 2 EmptySat 26 Jul 2008, 10:19 am

Hi Pretzel,

I'm glad you are pretty much pain free.

I have a little bit of Cottees grape cordial everyday in my water because I can't drink the water straight anymore. I don't like cordial sweet so it's just slightly flavoured to take away the taste.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Changes in taste   Changes in taste - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Changes in taste
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next