Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Current Affair Tuesday 26th July - New non-invasive weight loss surgery...

Go down 
+2
mapmar
Kate + Mum (123katepink)
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

A Current Affair Tuesday 26th July - New non-invasive weight loss surgery... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Current Affair Tuesday 26th July - New non-invasive weight loss surgery...   A Current Affair Tuesday 26th July - New non-invasive weight loss surgery... EmptyWed 27 Jul 2011, 11:30 am

The studies I looked at in the medical literature did not support this technology as being any better than anything.

Re sleeve - I had the same concern but what swayed me was that if you don't lose enough weight, the sleeve can be converted to a malabsorption procedure if necessary (that's what it was actually started as, part 1 of a duodenal switch).
Back to top Go down
girltuesday

Female
Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2010-11-01

A Current Affair Tuesday 26th July - New non-invasive weight loss surgery... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Current Affair Tuesday 26th July - New non-invasive weight loss surgery...   A Current Affair Tuesday 26th July - New non-invasive weight loss surgery... EmptyWed 27 Jul 2011, 11:07 am

Hi. I looked at the website and was surprised to see them talking about removal after weight loss, as if treatment for obesity is that simple. From what I know it is a complex disease. I would prefer to look at the research and the stats. The sleeve is getting good results and the bypass is the 'gold standard'. A surgeon is in the best position to give advice for what would best suit you. As for me, I had a bypass 8 months ago. It was the best option for me as I had insulin resistance (pre-diabetes) and was a sweet eater. I have lost 46.3 kg to date and my cravings for sweet food and carbs have disappeared. All the best with your decision.
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female
Number of posts : 1702
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: A Current Affair Tuesday 26th July - New non-invasive weight loss surgery...   A Current Affair Tuesday 26th July - New non-invasive weight loss surgery... EmptyWed 27 Jul 2011, 8:57 am

Hey Kate

If you want to read about a nervous sleever, an emotional eater and a BIG eater.... read my diary.

i think I drove the guys NUTS here with my questions/ worries and my doubts that the sleeve wouldnt work for me..

Im 11 months post op and down 66 kilos.

Just enjoy the journey what ever you decide.

Kind regards,

Nat
Back to top Go down
shelly25
Top Poster
Top Poster
shelly25

Female
Number of posts : 1776
Registration date : 2009-11-21

PostSubject: Re: A Current Affair Tuesday 26th July - New non-invasive weight loss surgery...   A Current Affair Tuesday 26th July - New non-invasive weight loss surgery... EmptyWed 27 Jul 2011, 8:37 am

Hi Kate

I ,as many of us had on here have had the same concerns/fears as your having.

i thought the sleeve wouldnt work for me and i would be the one for it to fail with.

I have had great success,including ups and downs with unhealthy eating and going off track,so for me the sleeve is perfect and my life saver.

i would say to you to do the sleeve,then if it failed (which im sure it wont ) then look into bypass,because once you have the bypass you cant go back!

Have faith in yourself and the sleeve!!

Shellyxxx

A Current Affair Tuesday 26th July - New non-invasive weight loss surgery... 217555
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female
Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: A Current Affair Tuesday 26th July - New non-invasive weight loss surgery...   A Current Affair Tuesday 26th July - New non-invasive weight loss surgery... EmptyWed 27 Jul 2011, 8:05 am

It looks better than a lapband..... am getting my boss to look at it as he is a gastroenterologist.

My main thing with it is that it is not permanent and I wanted something permanent so I did not put the weight back on!
Back to top Go down
Kate + Mum (123katepink)
Part of the furniture
Kate + Mum (123katepink)

Female
Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2010-07-14

PostSubject: A Current Affair Tuesday 26th July - New non-invasive weight loss surgery...   A Current Affair Tuesday 26th July - New non-invasive weight loss surgery... EmptyWed 27 Jul 2011, 6:56 am

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else caught this segment on ACA last night.

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/article/8277651/new-non-invasive-lap-band-surgery

I was very interested in it, as it is non-invasive and they claim that it mimics the gastric bypass.

Its called 'EndoBarrier' here is their website http://www.endobarrier.com/

Im having the sleeve in October, im a little concerned that the sleeve wont work for me, im a emotional eater and crave sugar, sugar, sugar. I have been debating with myself if I should be having a gastric bypass.... as I thought the bypass was fool proof, no matter what you would lose a large amount of weight...

Thoughts anyone?????
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Current Affair Tuesday 26th July - New non-invasive weight loss surgery...   A Current Affair Tuesday 26th July - New non-invasive weight loss surgery... Empty

Back to top Go down

A Current Affair Tuesday 26th July - New non-invasive weight loss surgery...
Page 1 of 1