SamiB
14 posters
AuthorMessage
BingoButt

Female
Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2009-11-02

Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!!   Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!! EmptyMon 31 May 2010, 3:45 pm

Anyone got a ladder- I wanna pic standing next to wren @9'11

I'm 5'1 too LOL
Back to top Go down
teecee
teecee

Male
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2010-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!!   Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!! EmptyMon 31 May 2010, 9:27 am

Wren wrote:
that definately sounds odd.
I was 129kilos before my op. I'm tall 9"11,

That has to be a typo !!! The tallest person in medical history was 8ft 11inches. So wren, you need to contact the Guinness Book of World Records if you are a whole 12inches taller than him !!!!
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
SamiB
Part of the furniture
SamiB

Female
Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2010-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!!   Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!! EmptySun 30 May 2010, 10:03 am

I'm 5"10
Back to top Go down
http://sosamalicious.blogspot.com
DancingOnTheInside
Part of the furniture
DancingOnTheInside

Female
Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!!   Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!! EmptySun 30 May 2010, 5:11 am

it'd be like a scene from Avatar

x
Doti
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!!   Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!! EmptySun 30 May 2010, 4:38 am

Hey still off topic but I am 5 foot 1, imagine me standing next to Wren,.
When I get back we will have to have that picture taken Wren LOL
Back to top Go down
fatnomore
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2009-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!!   Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!! EmptySun 30 May 2010, 3:55 am

off topic.... but wow Wren..your so tall 9'11..hehe..sorry spat my coffee on my screen!
Back to top Go down
Wren
Part of the furniture
Wren

Female
Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!!   Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!! EmptySun 30 May 2010, 2:47 am

that definately sounds odd.
I was 129kilos before my op. I'm tall 9"11, but still my doc wanted me on opti for two weeks just to lose about 5kilo's to reduce the fat on my liver.

It seems the usual practice for bigger people is, they go on Opti longer. For the nurse to expect you to lose 20
kilo's is a bit of a joke, if you were able to do this you probably wouldnt need surgery in the first place.
However the important thing here that I wonder if you realize is doing the Opti. The very last thing you want is to wake up after surgery to find out you couldn't be sleeved because of a fatty liver. It's only two weeks and you'd be kicking yourself if you didn't do it and couldn't have the surgery.

Good luck with it all!

Xx
Back to top Go down
miss
Part of the furniture
miss

Female
Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2009-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!!   Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!! EmptyThu 27 May 2010, 8:37 am

Opti fast dessert is fine! It is still a VLCD and still works the exact same! I still take 2 desserts a day, its not going to hurt! eat it with a tea spoon and only fill the tea spoopn a quarter of the way.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=708312072
shelly25
Top Poster
Top Poster
shelly25

Female
Number of posts : 1776
Registration date : 2009-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!!   Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!! EmptyThu 27 May 2010, 6:19 am

if you dont like the opti maybe try another brand as log as its a VLCD
it will help you loose weight.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Natalie

Female
Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2010-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!!   Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!! EmptyThu 27 May 2010, 5:36 am

The nurse sounds like a rude cow...

I dont know why you have to lose 20 kilos before the op. My surgeon wanted me to loose at least 5-10 kilos before the op, which is for the Liver. If you go into surgery and your liver is too flabby they cant perform the surgery.

Which doctor are you going through???
Back to top Go down
SamiB
Part of the furniture
SamiB

Female

PostSubject: Re: Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!!   Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!! EmptyThu 27 May 2010, 5:03 am

my surgeon said to me that optifast will make the op go easier for me but it's upto me as to whether i want to do it or not... and i chose not.

the way i see it, going on opti is like asking a junkie to give up crack 2 weeks before rehab.... FAIL !!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
jen-e
Sponsor
jen-e

Female
Number of posts : 402
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!!   Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!! EmptyTue 27 Apr 2010, 2:50 pm

Sami,
That's seems an odd thing to tell you??? It's not like you are super-obese and need to lose weight so surgery wont be a higher risk.
Most certainly be asking the surgeon cos it's sure not her whose going to be operating on you. I'd be inclinded to tell him what she has said to you because as a bariatric surgeons nurse she sure doesn't sound supportive and that is what they need to be.

Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!! 217555
jen
Back to top Go down
SamiB
Part of the furniture
SamiB

Female

PostSubject: Re: Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!!   Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!! EmptyTue 27 Apr 2010, 1:45 pm

Thanks Issi,
that's really great advice- I'll definitely be speaking to him next week and ignoring what his support staff say. If the nurse hadn't been so blunt with me about going from band to sleeve I'd probably be a bit more open to her suggestions . I think I won't have to do the opti pre op cos I haven't for the slip or removal surgery. Fingers crossed for me !
=)
Back to top Go down
issi
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!!   Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!! EmptyTue 27 Apr 2010, 12:57 pm

Do check with your surgeon. My surgeons nurse and his dietician and secretary all told me I had to do optifast for 2 weeks - even after he had told me differently - when I saw him he told me I did not as I was going from band out to sleeve. He said it would be too hard to lose weight. I did do celeb slim for 3 weeks anyway just to try and not gain/lose a little bit. It worked well for me and i lost about 8 of the kilos that I had gained. His support staff several times said I did need to be doing optifast but I wasn't paying them for their non-expert opinion, I was paying him for his expert opinion. Good luck :-)
Back to top Go down
SamiB
Part of the furniture
SamiB

Female

PostSubject: Re: Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!!   Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!! EmptyTue 27 Apr 2010, 12:26 pm

Thank applesauce,
it was the nurse who said that not the surgeon. She's not been very nice to me since I said I wanted the sleeve and the band removed- that's when she commented that I need to go on a diet and see a psychologist. She also said this was to avoid me gaining a stack of weight which I haven't done. Seeing surgeon next Thursday so I'll get the full low down then I suppose but I'm just really stressed about the pressure....
Sami
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!!   Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!! EmptyTue 27 Apr 2010, 11:23 am

you need to contact your surgeon now. do not leave it any longer. see what he can work out and why 20kg. no point just turning up for surgery not having lost the weight. you may be able to comprimise on a 2 weeks of optifast intensive using another brand shake. make sure you know what brand tho and all the info on the pack to back you up for your best chance of him saying yes.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
SamiB
Part of the furniture
SamiB

Female

PostSubject: Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!!   Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!! EmptyTue 27 Apr 2010, 10:54 am

Hi Guys,
i previously had a lapband and this was removed the 10/03/2010.. In my consultation for having the sleeve my surgeons nurse told me i need to lose 20 kilos before i have the sleeve (i think i'm around 120kg now.)

When i went to discuss the sleeve i was at my band pre op weight so i'm thinking it's a touch unreasonable that the nurse should set such unrealistic goals for me but at the same time i'm booked to be sleeved on the 02/06/2010 and i'm panicking because i've not lost an ounce !!

Does anyone have any suggestions to help with my predicament (apart from opti cos i effing hate it !!!)

Your help will be very much appreciated !
Cheers,
Sami =)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!!   Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Weight loss pre surgery.. HELP !!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: