AuthorMessage
Jaime
Part of the furniture
Jaime

Female
Number of posts : 1024
Registration date : 2010-08-24

Newbie just starting out... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie just starting out...   Newbie just starting out... EmptySun 17 Jul 2011, 10:51 pm

Hey Mel! Oooooo fingers crossed eh :) Thanks for the compliment! Apparently I was named after *Jaime Sommers* the Bionic Woman LOL.
Back to top Go down
Allure

Female
Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2011-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Newbie just starting out...   Newbie just starting out... EmptySun 17 Jul 2011, 9:13 pm

Hey Jaime,

Yeah I've called 3 times already. First they said the turnaround at the moment was 19 working days, and the last call they said 20. But even though I sent it all in the 21st of June, they are saying receive date was 22. I think if I'm lucky.. Today is the day! I will call them again today. I just hope because i've already had my surgery now and paid some of the costs they don't ask for more.. Home loan statements etc. I don't want to be waiting another 20 working days!

Love your name... It's my daughters middle name. I barely see it spelt the same as hers!

Mel :-)
Back to top Go down
Jaime
Part of the furniture
Jaime

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie just starting out...   Newbie just starting out... EmptySun 17 Jul 2011, 11:04 am

Hey Allure, have you called APRA? They can approve within 21 working days, mine was approved on the 21st working day, so around the 4 week mark :)
Back to top Go down
Allure

Female
Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2011-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Newbie just starting out...   Newbie just starting out... EmptySun 17 Jul 2011, 4:47 am

Hi Strawberrycreams,

I was sleeved by Dr Greenslade on Wednesday..4 days ago! I had my initial appointment on Tuesday 21 June, and my surgery booked that day for 13 July. I got my referral the day before my appointment.. And just called up and was lucky to be squeezed in the next day. I have applied to have funds released from my super.. Faxed all the application forms in the 21st of June and I'm still waiting for a response. Their turnaround if you need to apply through Apra can be 30 working days..so 6 weeks! Then you need to send that approval letter to your super fund which can take another week or two. I'm due for my Apra decision this week. I didn't want to delay surgery so we ended up pulling some money from our home loan to pay some of it. The hospital said they will bill me for the $4000 odd dollars for the staples after the surgery which helped as I'm hoping the super is through by the time I need to pay the bill.

So you can get in quickly for the appt and surgery... But the release of funds from super can take up to 8 weeks..or longer if they ask for any additional information. Apparently if they need more quotes or documentation you go to the bottom of the queue again!

Congratulations on your Wedding coming up in 6 weeks! That's very exciting!! I wish you all the best for your special day.

Mel :-)
Back to top Go down
strawberrycreams

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Newbie just starting out...   Newbie just starting out... EmptySun 17 Jul 2011, 3:16 am

Thanks everyone!

Can you tell me about the time between when you got your referral from your GP and had your surgery?

Should I be getting that referral and making at appointment with Dr Greenslandes before my wedding/honeymoon? Does he have a big waiting list?
Back to top Go down
mum of four (bec)
Part of the furniture
mum of four (bec)

Female
Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2011-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Newbie just starting out...   Newbie just starting out... EmptySun 17 Jul 2011, 12:52 am

As far as driving goes, speak to your surgeon. For insurance reasons you have to have your surgeons permission to drive after having an anaesthetic. This is usually after your post op appointment. I know a lot of people don't follow this rule but I'm a stickler for rules!
Back to top Go down
Suzie

Female
Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2010-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Newbie just starting out...   Newbie just starting out... EmptySat 16 Jul 2011, 10:11 pm

Hi Strawberrycreams,
I was sleeved by Dr Greenslade last December. I have nothing but good things to say. He is professional and caring. He answers questions honestly and in layman's terms. His receptionist is also very informative and can answer loads of questions. He operates out of Greenslopes and QE11.
I have had no problems and I am so glad that I went through with the op.Good luck with your journey.
Suzie
Back to top Go down
Jaime
Part of the furniture
Jaime

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie just starting out...   Newbie just starting out... EmptySat 16 Jul 2011, 1:42 pm

Hey strawberrycreams, welcome to the forum! I'm not sleeved yet, so I can't really answer your question based on experience ... but going by a lot of what I've read on here, people seem to usually have 1 - 2 weeks off work.

Congrats on making a huge life changing/saving decision :)
Back to top Go down
strawberrycreams

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie just starting out...   Newbie just starting out... EmptySat 16 Jul 2011, 12:17 pm

Thanks Jen!

You look AMAZING in your avatar!!!

I thought of one more question and that was how much time I'd need off work? I work in an office but am also out a lot, driving, visiting peoples homes etc so wondered how long I'd need off?
Back to top Go down
loving5
loving5

Female
Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2009-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Newbie just starting out...   Newbie just starting out... EmptySat 16 Jul 2011, 12:04 pm

Hi and Welcome Strawberrycreams. I am glad you found your way over here. The people on here are wonderful and are a great resource. Relax and enjoy your wedding and honeymoon.
Feel free to ask any question you have.
Jen.
Back to top Go down
strawberrycreams

Female

PostSubject: Newbie just starting out...   Newbie just starting out... EmptySat 16 Jul 2011, 11:47 am

Hey everyone,

I've just started looking into weight loss surgery and initially went straight into searching about lap band but after talking with some members on another forum I think that the sleeve might be more beneficial for me.

I'm in Western Brisbane area and have been reccomended Dr Greenslade by someone. I have PHI (hospital and extras) but am going to look into getting funds from my super to cover the out of pocket costs.

My DF and I are getting married in 6 weeks and in a way I wish I had been brave enough to consider this well before the wedding. The reason I think I'm really considering it now is because we want babies. I've wanted babies for as long as I can remember and I know that I won't be able to have a healthy normal pregnancy at the weight I'm at now.

I've tried so many things to lose weight. Just anbout everything under the sun. It works for a little while but then I lose motivation and put the weight back on. I feel like I've so overweight now that I need something drastic to help be be healthy again! I can't remember the last time I was healthy.

Anyway I'd love any advise, reccomendations of Drs etc. I need to get a referral from my GP but think that all this will have to wait until after our wedding and honeymoon! In the mean time I'm going to keep trying to be healthy and just enjoy this exciting time!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie just starting out...   Newbie just starting out... Empty

Back to top Go down

Newbie just starting out...
Page 1 of 1