Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Can you get sleeve surgery as a public patient?

Go down 
+3
Bellshell
psychomum
suzie77
7 posters
AuthorMessage
lilymck

Female
Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2011-02-19

Can you get sleeve surgery as a public patient? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Can you get sleeve surgery as a public patient?   Can you get sleeve surgery as a public patient? EmptyTue 20 Sep 2011, 3:12 pm

Buzz, Do you know how much it would cost with private health @ QEII? I have ph but am on a pension.
Back to top Go down
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female
Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Can you get sleeve surgery as a public patient?   Can you get sleeve surgery as a public patient? EmptyMon 19 Sep 2011, 2:52 pm

I was sleeved in Bunbury by dr weripitiya & after Medicare & phi I was approx $1000 out of pocket. I know you asked about public... But I figure that you'd probably wait for longer than 12 months (phi time), and $1000 - if you save up over the year, really isn't too bad.
Oh, and Bunbury isn't a super big drive from Perth either :)
Back to top Go down
Buzz25

Female
Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-05-01

PostSubject: You sure can... But it still costs..   Can you get sleeve surgery as a public patient? EmptySun 18 Sep 2011, 2:10 am

Dr Justin Greenslade will do the sleeve surgery at the QE2 hospital in Brisbane, however there is about a 6 month weight, AND you still have to pay his costs and hospital costs. All up, without private health insurance the cost is upwards from $15000 in a private hospital, however at the QE2, the cost all up without private health insurance is about $7500.
Dr Greenslade did my surgery, he is a gem. I went through private, but a friend of mine is going public in March.
Also, you will get about $800back from Medicare so it's under $7000 without phi all up.
Back to top Go down
Buzz25

Female
Registration date : 2011-05-01

PostSubject: You sure can... But it still costs..   Can you get sleeve surgery as a public patient? EmptySun 18 Sep 2011, 2:09 am

Dr Justin Greenslade will do the sleeve surgery at the QE2 hospital in Brisbane, however there is about a 6 month weight, AND you still have to pay his costs and hospital costs. All up, without private health insurance the cost is upwards from $15000 in a private hospital, however at the QE2, the cost all up without private health insurance is about $7500.
Dr Greenslade did my surgery, he is a gem. I went through private, but a friend of mine is going public in March.
Also, you will get about $800back from Medicare so it's under $7000 without phi all up.
Back to top Go down
sue
Top Poster
Top Poster
sue

Female
Number of posts : 3609
Registration date : 2008-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Can you get sleeve surgery as a public patient?   Can you get sleeve surgery as a public patient? EmptyWed 13 Jul 2011, 3:18 am

thanks Psychomum im trying cant do much exercise re my back but doing some gentle walking thanks for your encouragement

hugs sue
Back to top Go down
psychomum
psychomum

Female
Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2011-04-18

PostSubject: Sue Sue Sue   Can you get sleeve surgery as a public patient? EmptyWed 13 Jul 2011, 3:12 am

Back on track...Sue don't let all your hard work go up the scales... Back to basics ramp up the protein and exercise and cut out the snacksCan you get sleeve surgery as a public patient? 217555you can do it :)) go girl think of all you have achieved and be the best you can..... We're all cheering for you!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
sue
Top Poster
Top Poster
sue

Female
Number of posts : 3609
Registration date : 2008-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Can you get sleeve surgery as a public patient?   Can you get sleeve surgery as a public patient? EmptyWed 13 Jul 2011, 3:05 am

Hi i was done on public through Charles Gardenier hospital but i think the list is closed now i have friends wait over 2 years just to get appt so you can only ring there and find out if they are still taking people good luck

hugs sue
Back to top Go down
Bellshell
Part of the furniture
Bellshell

Female
Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Can you get sleeve surgery as a public patient?   Can you get sleeve surgery as a public patient? EmptyWed 13 Jul 2011, 3:00 am

Hello Suzie,

I have a friend that wants to get a sleeve and paying for it is a problem. I asked the baratric nurse and she told me that you can only get it done if you have diabetes and it is only done in places like Sydney.

If it was readly available in the public health system you would be harder to access your super to pay for it.

My friend does not have enough super to pay for it so she is going to save as much as she can and get a medical loan to pay for the rest.

As for the cost there is a big difference in what people pay. I joined a health fund waited the 12 moths and will still be out of pocket $7800
Back to top Go down
psychomum
psychomum

Female
Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2011-04-18

PostSubject: Band to sleeve   Can you get sleeve surgery as a public patient? EmptyWed 13 Jul 2011, 2:54 am

Many of the sleevers on this site have gone from band to sleeve so it must be possible :)

There are docs who do sleeves on the public system, but you would have to go to the docs and then get the low down from them on if you are a candidate. I don't think we can really help you with a definitive answer.
Everyone case different.

I wish you all the best, I know it can be frustrating. I have friends with the band who wish they had been offered the sleeve. But for lots of us paying was an expensive, but worthwhile option.
Cheers psychomum
Back to top Go down
suzie77
suzie77

Female
Registration date : 2011-07-12

PostSubject: Can you get sleeve surgery as a public patient?   Can you get sleeve surgery as a public patient? EmptyTue 12 Jul 2011, 4:58 pm

Hi all, I am new here and currently have a lapband which I had done on the public system by Kevin Dolan in Joondalup. It is not really working for me and I would really rather have the sleeve done now. Is it possible to have the band removed and the sleeve surgery done on the public system and what are the out of pocket costs?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can you get sleeve surgery as a public patient?   Can you get sleeve surgery as a public patient? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can you get sleeve surgery as a public patient?
Page 1 of 1