Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

self funded sleeve at public hospital? cant find?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
breebie

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2016-04-14

self funded sleeve at public hospital?  cant find? Empty
PostSubject: Re: self funded sleeve at public hospital? cant find?   self funded sleeve at public hospital?  cant find? EmptyMon 18 Apr 2016, 6:27 am

Thanks everyone :) decided to wait and work hard for next 12 months so i am a bit fitter etc come surgery time. I am seeing my gp in 2 weeks to get a referral and to get the ball rolling. I want to see a surgeon now, before i lose anymore weight. I was 125kg and now at 110kg. Worried if they dont see me now while i am still this size, if i lose more over the year, they may reject me for being too small. I am excited to get started and begin a new lifestyle for good!
Back to top Go down
Fat-to-Fit
Part of the furniture
Fat-to-Fit

Female
Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2016-01-05

PostSubject: Re: self funded sleeve at public hospital? cant find?   self funded sleeve at public hospital?  cant find? EmptyFri 15 Apr 2016, 11:44 am

Breebie, I'd had PHI for years (including top cover when i was in the having babies stage of life !) but I only had basic hospital at the time I made the decision to look into the sleeve, so I had to wait the 12 mths until the top cover kicked in. It seems like forever when you first start that waiting period, but as BOJ said, it's a good chance to do as much research as possible, and to get yourself mentally prepared for the surgery and life post sleeve. The time will actually go by pretty quickly in the end - I can't believe that I'm not only post waiting period, but 5 mths post op now as well , I felt like my time would NEVER come at the outset of this whole process !
Back to top Go down
Box of Jewels
Part of the furniture
Box of Jewels

Female
Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2015-01-14

PostSubject: Re: self funded sleeve at public hospital? cant find?   self funded sleeve at public hospital?  cant find? EmptyFri 15 Apr 2016, 11:18 am

Until public hospitals start doing VSG's (a few do, but it's only a tiny amount), I doubt that it will change.  
Also, if you choose to be a private patient in a public hospital - the hospital (I think) will still bill you.  Just less than a private.  I think.  Or they'd bill your private cover.  There are some levels of private cover that only cover you for in a public hospital - but I am pretty sure it's also for actually being in there too.  

I think.

Unless you have dire health issues, a 12 month wait is not a bad thing.  For one, you will have more choice on where you go and who you see.  For seconds - it will give you time to get yourself in a good place mentally, even physically.  The better prepared you are, I think, the better your results are likely to be.
Back to top Go down
breebie

Female

PostSubject: Re: self funded sleeve at public hospital? cant find?   self funded sleeve at public hospital?  cant find? EmptyFri 15 Apr 2016, 11:00 am

Yeah its sounding more and more like i will have to do the 12 month thing :( wish there were more options
Back to top Go down
Box of Jewels
Part of the furniture
Box of Jewels

Female
Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2015-01-14

PostSubject: Re: self funded sleeve at public hospital? cant find?   self funded sleeve at public hospital?  cant find? EmptyFri 15 Apr 2016, 8:32 am

I think the public hospital part will be the issue.  Hard to find a private doctor doing sleeves in a public hospital.  I know at least one that will bulk bill his fees, but he's out of a private hospital, and that is the bit that needs the huge outlay/private insurance.
Back to top Go down
breebie

Female

PostSubject: Re: self funded sleeve at public hospital? cant find?   self funded sleeve at public hospital?  cant find? EmptyFri 15 Apr 2016, 8:10 am

Thanks :) unfortunately they said they dont do self funded either. Bummer :( even though it appears they do according to their website.
Back to top Go down
Fat-to-Fit
Part of the furniture
Fat-to-Fit

Female
Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2016-01-05

PostSubject: Re: self funded sleeve at public hospital? cant find?   self funded sleeve at public hospital?  cant find? EmptyFri 15 Apr 2016, 4:36 am

Have a look at Melbourne Bariatrics, Dr Geoffrey Draper. He operates at a number of hospitals, and it looks like he offers a self funded option, around $18K surgeon's fees (plus hospital, anaesthetist, etc I'm guessing ) I didn't go through them, but my surgeon doesn't operate on self funded patients. All the best!
Back to top Go down
breebie

Female

PostSubject: self funded sleeve at public hospital? cant find?   self funded sleeve at public hospital?  cant find? EmptyFri 15 Apr 2016, 12:38 am

Hi all
I am new. I am trying to find somewhere that i can pay as self funded (no insurance) at a public hospital. I am vic but honestly i will travel interstate if i can find somewhere. Anyone know of anywhere? Thanks in advance :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: self funded sleeve at public hospital? cant find?   self funded sleeve at public hospital?  cant find? Empty

Back to top Go down

self funded sleeve at public hospital? cant find?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: