Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be?

Go down 
+19
kilrust
rowdy
Oki Doki Joy
spoggy
mum of four (bec)
Tempest
sweetsleever
sassysmum
NutMeg
kiwichick
Emily
Jasbean
MiddleWoman
Isis
Bellshell
Paity10
Jacko84
raspberryswirl
gottarhyme
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be?   When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be? - Page 2 EmptySun 26 Jun 2011, 7:02 am

First topic message reminder :

My BMI is around 25 now which is supposedly in the 'healthy' weight range of between 20-25.

I am hoping to get a BMI of 22-23, as heart disease, diabetes and fatty livers abound in my family.

A BMI does not differentiate between fat, and muscle mass, I know, so what realistically should I be striving for? What are others hoping for? Does the BMI (Body mass index) mean anything, really? Or is it how you feel that matters?

What does your Doctor say? Mine is adamant I should aim for a lower BMI.

When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be? - Page 2 697586
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
NutMeg
Part of the furniture

Number of posts : 769
Registration date : 2009-12-15

PostSubject: Re: When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be?   When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be? - Page 2 EmptyMon 27 Jun 2011, 1:49 am

My original goal was 71kgs, which would have had me at a BMI of 26.4. I revised that to 67 - just to get to a healthy BMI of 24.9. (400gms to go!)

I am very fit and quite muscular, so don't look as though I am still overweight but technically I am. Surgeon wanted me to get to a BMI of 27 - that is when most risks associated with obesity related diseases diminish quite considerably.

I could afford to lose another 5kgs though - get me to a BMI of 23. I'd be happy with that :)
Back to top Go down
kiwichick

Female
Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2010-05-16

PostSubject: Re: When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be?   When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be? - Page 2 EmptySun 26 Jun 2011, 9:54 pm

My BMI when I get to goal will be 26.6

I will still be 'Overweight' but I don't really care, I want to get to 75 kgs, I have been down to 73 kgs and I looked gaunt so I had decided on 75 but I may get to 80 and decide that is enough.

Either way it is a long way off
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be?   When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be? - Page 2 EmptySun 26 Jun 2011, 4:23 pm

BMI is imprecise because it does not differentiate between masses, so as you mentioned for a man to have a BMI of 25, he'd look a lot different than a woman with BMI of 25 because of the increased muscle mass. Most medical research using weight as a predictor of illness has used BMI.

There is also a different number called "ideal body weight" that is also used in medicine to dose drugs etc, and that is using a formula that says: women: Ideal Body Weight (in kilograms)
= 45.5 + 2.3 kg per inch over 5 feet.

So for me, according to BMI I should be 56-71kg for "healthy" weight range. According to IBW, I should be 59.3kg for "ideal". Helps to give me a bit more of an idea, because I don't know if I would know what to aim for otherwise. I am currently 68.3 and I feel it is realistic (although much harder now) to get to 60-65kg.

It is clear in most things that with the healthy range, the less you weigh, the less your risk eg. heart disease, particularly cancers. Excess fat tissue is clearly metabolically bad.

If you want to play around with your numbers, here are some online calculators: http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm
Back to top Go down
Jasbean
Jasbean

Female
Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2011-05-29

PostSubject: Re: When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be?   When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be? - Page 2 EmptySun 26 Jun 2011, 11:49 am

I'm like you Isis! Size 11 feet, huge hands! I'm only average height at 168cm and I'm actually aiming for about 90kg! Which would give me a BMI of 31.9! My dream would be 85kg! (BMI of 30.1) But I want to get to 90kg then re-assess what to do next!! I personally dont believe in BMI's as not everyone has the same frame! =D
Back to top Go down
MiddleWoman
Part of the furniture
MiddleWoman

Female
Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2010-12-17

PostSubject: Re: When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be?   When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be? - Page 2 EmptySun 26 Jun 2011, 11:34 am

Good question, GR. My surgeon has not given me a BMI goal. Eventually, I would like to reach 59.9kg, which would be a total loss of 40kg. My BMI would be 22.8, which would allow me enough leeway to stay within a healthy range (over or under).

MiddleWoman
Back to top Go down
Isis
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be?   When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be? - Page 2 EmptySun 26 Jun 2011, 10:33 am

I'm personally aiming for 25 (i.e. 72 kg for my 173 cm female self!) but I honestly can't see me getting there. I too have the dreaded big frame that carries muscle quite well. I have stupid manly shoulders and big hands and size 11 feet... so yeah, probably not likely to make the healthy BMI range. Ah well, I am currently 29. something and am feeling FANTASTIC! Another 15 kg weight loss definitely wouldn't go astray though... especially from my stomach, which is stubborn about shrinking.
Back to top Go down
Bellshell
Part of the furniture
Bellshell

Female
Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be?   When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be? - Page 2 EmptySun 26 Jun 2011, 10:16 am

The goal I shave set myself is 60 kilos, so my BMI would be 22.
Back to top Go down
raspberryswirl
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2011-04-21

PostSubject: Re: When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be?   When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be? - Page 2 EmptySun 26 Jun 2011, 10:14 am

snap paity - 28 is a brilliant number imo :)
Back to top Go down
Paity10
Part of the furniture
Paity10

Female
Number of posts : 445
Registration date : 2011-03-14

PostSubject: Re: When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be?   When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be? - Page 2 EmptySun 26 Jun 2011, 9:33 am

I have a goal of 75kg, which is a BMI of 28.... My surgeon wants me to get to 60-65kg, but because I'm a short ass at 163 cm, I will look disgustingly too thin which would leave me with a BMI of 22 - 24....

28 I consider to be healthy, considering my BMI has been 40 + over the last 15 years or so!!!!
Back to top Go down
raspberryswirl
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be?   When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be? - Page 2 EmptySun 26 Jun 2011, 8:47 am

yeah that's just crazy! i'm 180cm and a typical build like a brick poo house dutchie lol! i'm not fat, just big boned yo :)
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female

PostSubject: Re: When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be?   When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be? - Page 2 EmptySun 26 Jun 2011, 7:49 am

72KG? Are you sure that's for a man?That seems a bit low!

Men have more muscle mass, so their BMIs are higher than ours, aren't they?

Back to top Go down
Jacko84
Part of the furniture
Jacko84

Male
Number of posts : 694
Registration date : 2011-02-14

PostSubject: Re: When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be?   When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be? - Page 2 EmptySun 26 Jun 2011, 7:46 am

well interesting, just went onto a BMI calculator im 170cm so for a bmi of 25 i have to get to 72kgs, hah never gonna happenmaybe in my widest dream 85kg so that just means im just overweight atm id be happy to be 115- 120kg
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female

PostSubject: Re: When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be?   When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be? - Page 2 EmptySun 26 Jun 2011, 7:36 am

Thanks Raspberry....

I was just curious. My Surgeon has no goal for me. Just a 'realistic' one.

I suppose it depends on how tall you are too...I am a little short arse at 5'3, with a short waist and big boobs.

Not much muscle, all fat! It has to go!
Back to top Go down
raspberryswirl
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be?   When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be? - Page 2 EmptySun 26 Jun 2011, 7:30 am

my doctor told me he'd love to see me at 90-95kgs which is BMI of 28.

i have once got myself down to 90kgs and i started looking quite gaunt in the face and i was really fit and tone muscly, and this is the issue.. if you have muscle on you, bmi is squewed (sp)

Having said that, ultimately my aim is the highest end of my healthy weight range (65-81kg) which my regular GP and surgeon GP seem to be happy with.

Do you think your doctor is looking at your frame? or just wants you in the mid range due to the family history?

it's a toughy!

don't think i really answered you sorry!!
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female

PostSubject: When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be?   When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be? - Page 2 EmptySun 26 Jun 2011, 7:02 am

My BMI is around 25 now which is supposedly in the 'healthy' weight range of between 20-25.

I am hoping to get a BMI of 22-23, as heart disease, diabetes and fatty livers abound in my family.

A BMI does not differentiate between fat, and muscle mass, I know, so what realistically should I be striving for? What are others hoping for? Does the BMI (Body mass index) mean anything, really? Or is it how you feel that matters?

What does your Doctor say? Mine is adamant I should aim for a lower BMI.

When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be? - Page 2 697586
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be?   When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

When you get to your 'Goal Weight' What BMI will you be?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2