Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"?

Go down 
+5
*Lib*
Emily
gottarhyme
fatnomore
adelaideundertaker
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"?   Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"? EmptyWed 23 Mar 2011, 8:00 pm

I no longer see my dietician, she has signed me off after my last visit in January, but said if I ever needed her, to call.

I don't use full-fat products, and still use skim milk, lite cheese (was using free, now eat something a bit more tastier LOL), no fat yoghurt, etc etc.

But that is my choice and my dietician, once I got onto maintenance perferred I didn't use full fat products.

I am able to maintain my weight still using these no/low fat products.
Like Gutless, I eat well, protein first and am not into overly processed foods either.
I chose good quality foods, over quantity now and only eat foods I enjoy.

My daily diet hasn't changed much from when I was losing weight.
My snacking (mainly nuts, licorice, the odd chokkie) seems to be helping me maintain my weight, plus I am now drinking 1-2 bottles of wine per week (weekend only), I am sure this also helps....LOL!!

I love eating, I don't think that will ever change, but I can no longer do the damage I used to do to myself.

LOL Adelaideuntaker, no way you could live on chocolate alone, you would become very sick, I am sure. If I go too long without protein, I have the systems of a hypo which are not nice. Therefore I eat regularly by the clock, as I no longer experience hunger.

I always said I put on weight just walking past a cake shop......LOL!!
Back to top Go down
Gutless Wonder
Gutless Wonder

Female
Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"?   Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"? EmptyWed 23 Mar 2011, 7:36 pm

@ adelaideundertaker and Peazles

I stopped going to the dietitian years ago. But definitely my diet is healthy.
My cholesterol is low and my 3 monthly blood tests all come back fine apart from being anemic and needing iron infusions every 6 months.
But I have been anemic for years before I was sleeved because of poor absorption due to bowel surgery.
I eat as I was told to eat with a sleeve.
Protein first, vegetables second. And I take my vitamins. But if I ate diet / low fat foods I will, and did become under weight.
So I eat high energy foods like I mentioned, but when I do eat them it is not a huge amount.
A small handful of nuts is very filling. A glass of full cream milk keeps me going for hours.
I eat chocolate when ever I want to, which may be a small bar (usually dark chocolate or chocolate peanuts) maybe once a day for 3 or 4 days, and then maybe none for a week.
The only sort of rule I made for myself is to eat mainly whole foods. I do not eat overly processed foods because I don't like them.
I never go to mcdonalds of kfc or hungry jacks or any fast food places.
Every thing I cook I make from scratch and make my own yoghurt and fresh cheese.
My diet is mainly lacto vegetarian as this diet consists of dairy products and vegetables and is wholesome & healthy.
I really love food (hence being an ex-fatty), and I love cooking and eating as much as I ever did, but now I don't eat to excess. I can't eat to excess.

It still feels fantastic to have my eating under control 4 years on from the sleeve surgery as it was when I first got it.
Back to top Go down
adelaideundertaker
adelaideundertaker

Male
Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2011-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"?   Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"? EmptySun 20 Mar 2011, 1:09 am

Hey Peacles - I was wondering the same thing - but I guess as long as it's all balanced with veggies, fruit, fish etc I would imagine it would be fine

There must be a terrible temptation to live on choclate knowing you won't put on weight - I'm sure I'm not alone in telling everyone I limit my chocolate intake not because of healthy eating but because I only have to glance at chocolate and I put on weight
Back to top Go down
Peazles
Part of the furniture
Peazles

Female
Number of posts : 1011
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"?   Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"? EmptyFri 18 Mar 2011, 6:24 am

Gutless Wonder wrote:
Like Lib ( hi Lib ), I lost more weight than I wanted to and it would not stop.
I had to eat a lot of bad stuff to put on the 10 extra kilos too much that I lost, and it took me a year to gain it back.

It was very worrying at the time.
I have stayed at my ideal weight now a long time, but like Lib again, I eat full fat everything.
Milk, cream , cheese, ice-cream, yogurt, butter, ghee, coconut cream, nuts, peanut butter, and loads of chocolate among other things in my diet.
If I don't eat these things I will loose weight again and I don't want to.
I do not eat large portions of them, because I have such a small appetite, and I have had my sleeve for 4 years.

Obviously this is completely the opposite of what I thought I would be doing, but I do enjoy it.

I love being sleeved

Hi there

Congrats on your great weightloss. I'm a bit curious about your diet now though; has your surgeon or dietician commented on it in regard to the possibility of plaque in your arteries from the fat in your diet? Is it healthy to eat like that? Or is it in very small amounts and ballanced out with a healthy diet?
Back to top Go down
adelaideundertaker
adelaideundertaker

Male

PostSubject: Re: Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"?   Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"? EmptyFri 18 Mar 2011, 2:00 am

Hey Gutlesswonder
Thank you kindly for your reply - and congrats on your success and 4 years - wow thats a long stint
I guess it must have been worrying to lose so much weight - must have been bizarre being the opposite to putting on too much - I'm not sure a diet of chocolate sounds all that bad to me :)
Thanks again
Me
Back to top Go down
Gutless Wonder
Gutless Wonder

Female
Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"?   Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"? EmptyMon 14 Mar 2011, 1:20 pm

Like Lib ( hi Lib ), I lost more weight than I wanted to and it would not stop.
I had to eat a lot of bad stuff to put on the 10 extra kilos too much that I lost, and it took me a year to gain it back.

It was very worrying at the time.
I have stayed at my ideal weight now a long time, but like Lib again, I eat full fat everything.
Milk, cream , cheese, ice-cream, yogurt, butter, ghee, coconut cream, nuts, peanut butter, and loads of chocolate among other things in my diet.
If I don't eat these things I will loose weight again and I don't want to.
I do not eat large portions of them, because I have such a small appetite, and I have had my sleeve for 4 years.

Obviously this is completely the opposite of what I thought I would be doing, but I do enjoy it.

I love being sleeved
Back to top Go down
adelaideundertaker
adelaideundertaker

Male

PostSubject: Re: Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"?   Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"? EmptyMon 14 Mar 2011, 9:17 am

Caz, u look awesome! U must be so proud of urself. Send some of that success my way! Lol. Thanx 4 sharing, logic suggests the body would learn 2 adapt. I look 4ward 2 losing 2 much weight, wot an alien concept 2 have 2 deal with. Thanx 4 u honesty. I am still so thrilled at the honesty on this site. janette, thank u 2 u 2 4 ur honesty. It must be wonderful not 2 have 2 worry as much about wot one is eating!
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"?   Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"? EmptySun 13 Mar 2011, 10:58 pm

I reached my original goal weight and I just stopped losing weight!
Maintained this weight for around 2 months and I started losing again.

I lost another 5 kgs, then a further 3 kgs 2 months later when I had my tummy tuck.

I did get down to 67 kgs, but my weight seems to be happy between 68-69 kgs.

I now maintain a good healthy diet, but if I want a piece of cake I have it, or some chocolate, etc. I am not having any trouble maintaining my weight.
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"?   Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"? EmptySun 13 Mar 2011, 8:30 pm

I slide past my original goal and reset it to a maximum of 60 kgs. I have no trouble at all maintaining.

I may decide to try and lose 3-4 more kgs - but probably not. I like hovering around the 58-59 kgs mark (but secretly want to be 55 kgs).

I can definitely continue to lose weight, but if I do, and don't want to, I just make different food choices and that sorts it out.
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"?   Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"? EmptySun 13 Mar 2011, 5:29 am

I work hard at maintaing my weight. I got down to 46kg and it took a lot of hard work to put it back on. I eat full cream everything. I am fairly steady now, but my family were really worried about me. From the reading I have done it's not common. A lot of people have to work hard to lose the last ten or so kilos. I set the goal weight,not my surgeon. I too wondered how the loss would stop but it seems my body just got used to being where it is and stays fairly stable now.
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"?   Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"? EmptySun 13 Mar 2011, 4:50 am

There's another thread somewhere, maybe in the longterm sleever section? The people who got too skinny had to add in snacks such as nuts, healthy fats, full-cream milk instead of skim, regular and not "diet" versions of things etc.

I don't think I'll have that problem - I lose consistently (currently almost 8 months postop) but I work pretty hard for it.
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"?   Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"? EmptySun 13 Mar 2011, 2:39 am

There are quite a few posters in here who are BELOW their goal weight. 'Stalling' is like a plateau...perhaps you need to go back on Optifast for a few days to kickstart your metabolism.

Some people have found that a few bad habits might be creeping in, and they need to nip it in the bud. It could be lack of exercise, not enough water, or maybe drinking too many calorie full drinks...

Eventually the weight starts shifting again. It is hard to erase a lifetime of bad habits I suppose. The sleeve is a tool to help you fulfil your weightloss goals, but YOU have to use it wisely, I suppose, and listen to your body. Everyone is different.
Back to top Go down
adelaideundertaker
adelaideundertaker

Male

PostSubject: Re: Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"?   Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"? EmptySun 13 Mar 2011, 1:47 am

Hey fatnomore
It is a shame that you have stalled however you have achieved a brilliant result so far - well done
I don't think I understand the concept of the "stall" - is there something you can do to kickstart it again? diet change? increase fitness level?
Cheers mate
Back to top Go down
fatnomore
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2009-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"?   Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"? EmptySun 13 Mar 2011, 1:06 am

hmm dont know. Im about 10.5months out and I have stalled and stayed this way for too long..I hope this isnt the end..I want to be smaller than this and not happy Im going to have to work so hard for it to happen...lol...bugger it..lol
Back to top Go down
adelaideundertaker
adelaideundertaker

Male

PostSubject: Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"?   Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"? EmptySun 13 Mar 2011, 12:40 am

Hey all

I couldn't find any threads that addres my question so I thought I'd start a new one, however if there is already a thread if someone could point me in the right direction I'd be grateful

I am 12 months pre-op (thats right 12 looooooong months lol) and am so impressed by the amount of weight people have lost (perhaps we should petition the Pope and have the sleeve cannonised) however my questions is this:

When you reach goal weight how does it stop? I mean why doesnt the body continue to keep losing weight until you are too thin (believe it of not there is such a thing, although heaven knows I wouldn't know what that was lol)? Does this make sense? It makes sense in my head but that's never been a measure of success! lol

Cheers all
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"?   Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"? Empty

Back to top Go down

Does the weight loss stop at "Goal Weight"?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: