AuthorMessage
MiddleWoman
Part of the furniture
MiddleWoman

Female
Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2010-12-17

New From Brisbane. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New From Brisbane.   New From Brisbane. EmptyMon 13 Jun 2011, 11:15 pm

Welcome Autumncurl,

We all know how awful it feels to be obese, so you are not alone there. As Janette said, eating out is not a problem - it is a joy, because you can enjoy small amounts of tasty high-quality meals without the guilt of overeating.

You will ballroom dance again when you have regained some confidence. That would be a great goal to reach, and also an excellent and enjoyable form of exercise. Win-win.

Your husband's concern about stomach leaks is valid, but is an extremely rare occurrence. Have a read in the section 'Complications with the sleeve'. Most who have had minor/moderate/major complications would do it all again. However, there is the occasional person who would not.

Check out the 'Surgeons' thread to find a suitable doctor. Just skimming through, there are excellent reports for Dr. Daoud, Dr. Lockie and Dr. Greenslade. There may be others I have missed. Don't base your decision on price alone.

Call HCF to make sure you are covered, and if not, take out a higher level of cover now (or swap to another fund) and then you'll need to wait out the 12 months. Hopefully, you are already covered.

Very best wishes as you research this option. Come in and ask any questions. You can do a search for prior posts too.

MiddleWoman
Back to top Go down
sassysmum
Part of the furniture
sassysmum

Female
Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2011-04-11

New From Brisbane. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New From Brisbane.   New From Brisbane. EmptyMon 13 Jun 2011, 10:42 pm

Hi autumncurl,

welcome to the best site for information and support. I have been sleeved about 6 weeks now and don't regret one bit of it. I also started looking at the band, but went off the idea after research.
Your doctor will the best port of call for lots of questions. I am also with HCF, and it was covered. The factor is how long you have been a member.
Good luck with your journey.
cheers
sassysmum
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

New From Brisbane. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New From Brisbane.   New From Brisbane. EmptyMon 13 Jun 2011, 10:23 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I am not from Brisbane but there is lots of here and I am sure they can recommend some good surgeons.

If you have belonged to a health fund for over 12 months you should be covered.
But ring and check. Think the item number is 30518. Someone correct me if I a wrong!

You should have no problems eating out.
I have travelled to NZ twice, and WA twice since I have been sleeved and we eat out the whole trip. You just order entrees, tapas or share a meal.

I have now been sleeved 18 months, love it. Best thing I ever did, I am now healthy, which was the main reason for doing it.

Good luck with your decision making and journey.

New From Brisbane. 217555 New From Brisbane. 217555
Back to top Go down
Autumncurl
Autumncurl

Female
Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2011-06-13

New From Brisbane. Empty
PostSubject: New From Brisbane.   New From Brisbane. EmptyMon 13 Jun 2011, 9:29 pm

Hiya,
I am new and looking into surgery options - like so many others it seems :)

My husband and I have live in Brisbane for just a little over a year - we moved from Adelaide. I have not really made any friends here as i have found it hard to make any... i did try talking to some people in a bar...they however thought i was a swinger and well that was the last time i spoke to a stranger New From Brisbane. 595690

I am 25, currently 125kg and I hate it.
I have health insurance With HCF and i am looking into my options - as i am not sure if i have waiting periods etc.

I am also concerned as we eat out at restaurants so often.. we live in the CBD and always going to DH's work functions and things. My husband is also set that if i have the surgery i will die from stomach leaking..... New From Brisbane. 697586 sigh...

I used to be a competitive ballroom dancer and would love to be able to do that again and i did used to be a very active person before i gained so much weight.

I would also like to have children one day - would the surgery effect this? and how long after do you have to wait?

If any one could tell me some good doctors to goto in brisbane, that would be good as i haven't found one and i have never been to hospital here so i do not know the hospitals either :/

My mother had the band done and has had so many problems with it, its crazy.

I also have the type of family that criticises me for being fat, but then criticise me for dieting.

i am looking forward to taking the first step... which i believe will be going to see a doctor.

thanks
-A
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New From Brisbane. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New From Brisbane.   New From Brisbane. Empty

Back to top Go down

New From Brisbane.
Page 1 of 1