Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes?

Go down 
+7
Eternlslady
loving5
Hannah
Huggy Bear
kazzie
crazy_ma64
roadtripmama
11 posters
AuthorMessage
amanda O'D
Part of the furniture
amanda O'D

Female
Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2010-11-13

anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes?   anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes? EmptyTue 15 Mar 2011, 7:31 pm

While i am no where near the day I get to discard all those fat clothes, I was thinking about this and it makes sense that it can/will be hard to do.

Most of us have being overweight/fat so long we dont remember ourselves any other way. So why then would we be getting rid of the clothes we are always gone back to needing in the past.
Experience after all has always taught us with all our failed diet attempts that sooner or later those are the clothes that fit us.

I believe (and again im not there yet so only going on what i have read and guess) as we move into the uncharted waters it is scary stuff (nice scary but scary none the less), we as people tend to resist change it makes us uneasy so we tend to hold onto what we know, and that includes our clothes.
I today when thinking about this asked myself what clothes would I want to keep when I lose my weight.
I started with quite a list for example there is the dress i wore to my daughters wedding ive only worn it the once, then i thought why would I keep it, it will be way to big and no way can it be taken in etc and so my list of clothes went on.
I have ended up with thinking that when my turn to do the wardrobe cull comes the only thing I will be keeping is my own wedding dress.
The other clothes while some may hold some sort of sentimental value are better going to someone who needs them, rather than just filling space in the wardrobe.

Well done Deb for doing the wardrobe cull.

warmly
amanda
Back to top Go down
roadtripmama

Female
Number of posts : 183
Registration date : 2010-02-16

PostSubject: Re: anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes?   anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes? EmptyTue 15 Mar 2011, 12:30 pm

Well guys,

I bit the bullet.

All the clothes went into bin bags....8 full ones....I said goodbye rather unceremoniously to some old faithful friends...

actually this is a lie as I tried a few on for old times sake...and they looked crappy!

I now have 8 bags in the back of my car!!

I think this is a step in the right direction...a baby step anyway...it may take me a bit to take them in to the Op (charity) shop, but I'll get there eventually...in the meantime they'll spend a bit of time out of the house....business hours at least!

Thanks for all your support. Its nice to know that I'm not just being silly..and I think and worry that at the heart of this matter is a lack of faith in myself...I had hoped that this success Ive had might have completely eradicated all of
my insecurities...and whilst it has some...but obviously some are still dagging around.

I will continue to weight myself weekly, and I do look forward to having a big spend up on clothes in Malaysia later in the year...until then Ive got a very sad and cavernous wardrobe (I think this may be an issue too for me..I do like a full wardrobe!)...but a clean and obstacle free bedroom floor and happy hubby.

Deb and her weighed down car...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes?   anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes? EmptyMon 14 Mar 2011, 6:51 pm

Vinnies, Goodwill, I make it a revolving door! I take stuff in that does not fit and then I shop there for stuff that does. I live in a college town and have made some amazing finds from stuff students buy in large cities then dump here.

I hope you will soon feel comfortable saying goodbye to the clothing at the foot of the bed, but you need to do it on your schedule. Maybe you can suspend the bags from the ceiling in a corner to make room?

Zoe

anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes? 63412
Back to top Go down
gibb100503
gibb100503

Male
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-02-24

PostSubject: getting rid of clothes   anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes? EmptyMon 14 Mar 2011, 5:06 pm

well i had the sleeve op. 5 weeks ago and am losing weight, my wife had
gastric bypass and lost 98 lbs, so last week we had a wardrobe clear
out, including some of her mums stuff,
altogether we got rid of 32 bin
liners of clothes to the salvation army. anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes? 427584

it actually felt good and theraputic, getting rid of the old clothes and
starting fresh, i still have a long way to go, but it will be fun
buying new stuff when im thin.

stew
Back to top Go down
http://www.mrsuperobese.co.uk
2ndtimemum

Female
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-01-06

PostSubject: Re: anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes?   anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes? EmptyMon 14 Mar 2011, 11:24 am

I was coming on here this evening to ask the very same question. I have contacted Kylie here in Perth and told her I have clothes to add to her collection for the swap, but...

I am still scared to let go in case.

I so badly want to beleive that I won't fail, but I have failed everything else, so I have huge doubts.

I allowed my best girlfriend to help herself to anything she wanted over the weekend but the rest are still sitting in piles. I had to move them off the floor and onto the bed today so I could vaccuum.

I have maternity clothes too. And I want to beleive that I will never be an XL in maternity clothes, but I do want to have another baby.

I will make it my goal for the week to take the non-maternity clothes to Kylie. I will report back here once I have done it, so I am accountable to you guys anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes? 65317
Back to top Go down
AliKat
Part of the furniture
AliKat

Female
Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-07-23

PostSubject: Re: anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes?   anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes? EmptyMon 14 Mar 2011, 9:57 am

I have thrown out very few clothes, if anything I've just cut up a few old t-shirts for my husband as he tinkers on his 4WD.

I guess it is old habit and unlike many sleevers I may have dropped 35+ kilos but I am still in plus size clothing ... although I was in size 26 clothing I hadn't bought clothes for a few years so I was thinking my clothes had stretched with me and I was really more like a size 30+ ... yeah, given the fact I've lost so much weight I've barely dropped sizes so I just can't throw anything away at the moment ... although some of the clothes are a little baggy!

We are traveling to Europe in May (holiday & visit family) so I have been conservative with buying too many new clothes (but nearly always on sale) to wear now but I have spent more than I would've had on "in between" sizes ... no one wants to keep buying clothes with continual weight loss! I could wear my holiday clothes now I just want lovely new clothes for our holiday and of course I'll add them to my daily wear and maybe then I'll ditch the couple of bags of clothes I just can't part with just yet ...

And yes, I agree ... old habits! I can't even say how often I've had to go back to my "fat" clothes I had tucked away in the cupboard and I've also kept a pair of jeans and trousers to see how far I will have finally gone once I get to goal.
Back to top Go down
Eternlslady
Part of the furniture
Eternlslady

Female
Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes?   anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes? EmptyMon 14 Mar 2011, 8:51 am

Yes and no.

I LOVED throwing out the pre-sleeve clothes.
"I'm NEVER going back there again!"

BUT
I hung around the size 16 mark for a month or so and had to buy a few new pieces (swimming costume, a dress for a special dinner) to get me through that time and I'm having a little trouble letting go of "new" clothes because I was so proud of them.

I enlisted my hubby. He makes me throw out something before I can wear anything new that I buy.
Now that is motivation!
Back to top Go down
loving5
loving5

Female
Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2009-08-17

PostSubject: Re: anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes?   anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes? EmptyMon 14 Mar 2011, 8:47 am

Yes I do, I have bags and bags of them. I just can't seem to get rid of them. It doesn't help that I have watched mum lose 40 kgs and then put 15 kgs back on. I know her sleeve journey is different to mine.
Back to top Go down
Hannah
Part of the furniture
Hannah

Female
Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: Re: anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes?   anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes? EmptyMon 14 Mar 2011, 6:48 am

Hi Roadtripmama

I am also struggling to get rid of the clothes. I have 4 bags sitting in the garage and one in my cupboard which I put clothes into as they get to big. I think it is trying to get yourself to realize that this is permanent and you won't be going back to wearing them. In the past I have always had to get them out again.

Christa
Back to top Go down
Huggy Bear
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes?   anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes? EmptyMon 14 Mar 2011, 6:41 am

Hi RoadTripMumma,

I found this hard too.

I think it was the letting go of my old life, I just almost didn't want to let myself believe I wouldn't get fat again. I was so full of hope that the sleeve was working but terrified to let myself really believe it.

I ended up getting rid of everything except 1 size 24 top. I have kept that as a personal reminder of my journey. I look at it now and it looks like a single bedsheet almost!

Move them on and BELIEVE IN THE SLEEVE.....(it's my own little mantra)

xxHuggyBear
Back to top Go down
kazzie

Female
Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: roadtripmama   anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes? EmptyMon 14 Mar 2011, 5:33 am

Hi roadtripmama,

Go to a few sales, never pay full price for anything, pick up a few nice tops and a pair of black pants to go with everything. Start wearing them and watch the compliments fly in. Guarantee you wont have any problem then of getting rid of what makes you look frumpy. Why do you want to keep your "fat" clothes, your never going back there again are you? Be positive and look to the future thats what we all had the surgery for. Good Luck its easier than you think.
anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes? 487524
Kazzie
Back to top Go down
crazy_ma64
Part of the furniture
crazy_ma64

Female
Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2010-12-06

PostSubject: Re: anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes?   anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes? EmptyMon 14 Mar 2011, 4:36 am

Hi Roadtripmumma,
The best thing you can do is just ring a friend!!!
Tell them to come over and get the stuff cause you cant throw it out.
Its just the letting go. Once you've done it you will feel more in control.
You have done the biggest thing you can do and that is have "the surgery"
Now the next step to being in control of your own loss and life is to just DO IT!!!!!

DO IT DO IT DO IT hahahaha anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes? 446871 anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes? 217555
Back to top Go down
roadtripmama

Female
Number of posts : 183
Registration date : 2010-02-16

PostSubject: anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes?   anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes? EmptyMon 14 Mar 2011, 3:50 am

Hi,

Am I the only one?

Ive got 3-4 garbage bags of clothes at the end of my bed that no longer fit me, and I cant throw them out. Everytime I try to , I find myself making excuses, rearranging the piles to give to specific people, re-arranging those piles...etc...etc

I know that they'd be mighty handy for post flood people.

I know that charity shops love decent plus size clothes.

I even know of a charity in town that sets up unemployed people with interview clothes who could really use some of my old office wear (I made a special pile just for them!),

AND I still cant throw them out...aaarrrhhhh.

Help needed. Husband Cranky+++, Bedroom space needed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes?   anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes? Empty

Back to top Go down

anyone having trouble throwing out your old fat clothes?
Page 1 of 1