AuthorMessage
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Gastric Sleeve and Epilepsy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve and Epilepsy   Gastric Sleeve and Epilepsy EmptyMon 22 Nov 2010, 8:50 pm

Oh what rotten luck Raingold! Being on a farm and not being able to drive must suck completely.

Do you think they will be able to control it with medication!!!

Big hugs
Caz
Back to top Go down
Raingold
Part of the furniture
Raingold

Female
Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2009-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve and Epilepsy   Gastric Sleeve and Epilepsy EmptyMon 22 Nov 2010, 11:35 am

I have just been diagnosed, after 3 years of symptoms, with a very rare form of epilipsy. [Had a misdiagnosis about 18 months ago]
First reaction? Why the hell me???
Second reaction. Oh Crap. Now I can't teach.
Third reaction. Bugger. Now I can't drive for 3 months minimum and I'm stuck on the farm.
I've alternated between all three for the last 5 days and never stay on any of them for long, before going on to the next.
To top it off, one of the side effects of the new drug I have to take, is weight gain!
I'm really miserable, but trying to be optemistic.
Sometimes I wonder....................
Didn't know which thread to put this in, as I'm feeling pretty blue at the moment........
Back to top Go down
micr63

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve and Epilepsy   Gastric Sleeve and Epilepsy EmptySun 07 Nov 2010, 3:06 pm

I have had the gastric sleeve done and have epilepsy. I had the sleeve done in january 2010, have had epilepsy since i was 8yrs old, take phenobarbital. my seizures are grandmal, though the last one i had was in 1993. I too was concerned about weight loss surgery. I was supposed to have the bypass done but when i read about the increased risk of seizures i opted out of that procedure. then i thought about having the lapband but was disqualified from having the procedure due to a slow emptying stomach that my doctor found. We went with the sleeve procedure which i am happy to tell i am down almost 95 lbs.

Gastric Sleeve and Epilepsy 65317

Miriam
Back to top Go down
kaysa9
kaysa9

Female
Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve and Epilepsy   Gastric Sleeve and Epilepsy EmptyThu 21 Oct 2010, 8:51 am

I use Lamictal. I have had no difference in serum concentration since the sleeve.

Kaysa9
Back to top Go down
thankana
Part of the furniture
thankana

Female
Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2010-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve and Epilepsy   Gastric Sleeve and Epilepsy EmptyThu 21 Oct 2010, 8:43 am

sorry just saw your post. I have nocturnal epilepsy(only seize when I sleep but controlled) and have a sleeve.

I'm on Dilantin, one in the morning and 5 at night. I had no problem taking them straight after the surgery.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve and Epilepsy   Gastric Sleeve and Epilepsy EmptyThu 01 Jan 2009, 3:56 am

Thnaks applesauce. I take too many tablets, 14 a day. I only need to miss one dose and I have a 90% chance of having seizures. This worried me because once it gtes out of control i't's a nightmare to get back in control. I almost lost my job a few years back because of it. I take them twice a day but can chnage to 3 times a day, the neuro said if I need to.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve and Epilepsy   Gastric Sleeve and Epilepsy EmptyThu 01 Jan 2009, 3:14 am

If it is your drugs you are worried about then do not worry. I am not epileptic but take anti seizure durgs to control really bad spasams in my feet. My nerologist, who I see for my MS said it was good to know and I was a good little test subject for him for his other patients *LOL*. I take a lot of meds and have no problems at all beyond the first couple of weeks where you had to be very slow and careful getting them in. I just worked out that taking them with a tiny bit of runny yoghurt once it was allowed made it go down so much easier than say water for all meds, and to this day still take all my meds that way.

applesauce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve and Epilepsy   Gastric Sleeve and Epilepsy EmptyThu 01 Jan 2009, 12:05 am

OMG! There is another person in the world who is having gastric surgery and epilepsy!

My doctor told me that bypass would not even be considered because you don't absorb your drugs. I was initally considering the lap band but was unsure if it would slip during a seizure. I have myoclonic, absence and grand mal seizures. Also, with the lap band there is a higher chance of vomiting as well and I also get myoclonic seizures in my stomach so it feels like a rollercoaster ride when you tummy drops. Sometimes it makes me nauseous. The doctor does not think that this will be a problem with the sleeve. It is the best of the three options.

What seizures do you have and what medicines do you take. I take lamictal and Clobazam for my epilepsy. I used to take the dread epilim, I think thats depajote in US, and I tried tegretol and clonazepam but they don't work.
Back to top Go down
micr63

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-12-31

PostSubject: epilepsy and the sleeve   Gastric Sleeve and Epilepsy EmptyWed 31 Dec 2008, 10:06 pm

hi rice cake, I just came from my bariatric doctor. I am an epileptic, i was going to go for by pass but stopped when i found out about the higher incidence of seizures. then i was supposed to do the lap band. the nurse practicianer suggested the sleeve., it does look promising as it does not re route or alter absorption like by pass did. have you ffound out anything?? funny how the MD's say that seizures do NOT increase after bypass, not what i have read from personal accounts. what can you tell me??
miriam
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve and Epilepsy   Gastric Sleeve and Epilepsy EmptyMon 06 Oct 2008, 8:55 am

No idea, rice cake, but it doesn't seem like anyone with the same problem has been in the forum since you posted - yet, anyway!
Chris
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve and Epilepsy   Gastric Sleeve and Epilepsy EmptyMon 06 Oct 2008, 8:24 am

am I a billy no mates? or am I going to be a guinea pig..first epileptic to have sleeve. :[img]http://sm
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Gastric Sleeve and Epilepsy   Gastric Sleeve and Epilepsy EmptyFri 03 Oct 2008, 1:41 am

I can't find anyone who has epilesy and has either the lap band or gastric sleeve! Surely I can't be the only morbidly obese epileptic in Australia!

I have questions specific to epilepsy so if someone who has had either type of surgery could post here, I will list my questions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve and Epilepsy   Gastric Sleeve and Epilepsy Empty

Back to top Go down

Gastric Sleeve and Epilepsy
Page 1 of 1