AuthorMessage
Balisunset
Part of the furniture
Balisunset

Female
Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2013-06-19

Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass   Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass EmptySat 21 Sep 2013, 12:51 am

Thanks Suzy:6525:
Back to top Go down
Suzy77
Part of the furniture
Suzy77

Female
Number of posts : 488
Registration date : 2012-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass   Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass EmptyFri 20 Sep 2013, 10:53 pm

Hi thought I'd give you my tuppence worth as I've had the sleeve and the bypass. The sleeve is less complications rate and doesn't have the malabsorption issues of the bypass meaning you may not have to take supplements. It tends to be easier to recover from and you don't get dumping as often or to the severity of the bypass. The dumping with the bypass I found far worse and anything sugary was a total no go. GIVen a choice, the sleeve would be the way to go in my personal opinion. The bypass however is a more natural feeling of fullness which I far preferred to the sleeve and can be greater weightloss but really both are tools and are only as good as you make them. I don't feel either would actually guarantee more weightloss than the other.  If you have had a band before you may only be able to have the bypass because of previous damage to your stomach. The bypass does tend to have more issues such as dilatations though they aren't a big deal. I wouldn't be scared of the bypass should that be your only option as I always feared I would feel different being 're wired' but it never felt that way.

Hope that helps
Xxx
Back to top Go down
Balisunset
Part of the furniture
Balisunset

Female

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass   Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass EmptyFri 20 Sep 2013, 10:42 pm

Thank you Jagxclusive

My thoughts exactly, when the doctor explained it to me I thought I could always go to bypass if I had to.  

Thank you for your opinion and I appreciate your reply
Back to top Go down
jagxclusive
Part of the furniture
jagxclusive

Female
Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2013-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass   Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass EmptyFri 20 Sep 2013, 3:45 pm

Hi Balisunsent,
I asked my doc how he determines who has what type of surgery. He said that he takes a 'staged' approach usually, and offers the sleeve first up. Then if that is not sufficient, he can then 'add on' the bypass bit later if necessary. Also, he said if someone comes in with severe reflux before hand, the bypass can help alleviate that depending on why they have reflux. The amount to lose and risk factors might be significant too. My bmi is just over 47 and he recommended the sleeve for me straight up. Personally I would rather be sleeved first as getting the bypass takes more risks and loss of nutrition and you can't eat sugars i think... however with the sleeve life should come back to a 'normal' diet eventually and you keep absorbtion of nutrients.  Hope that helps... but if i were you I'd be asking your dr what he would recommend and why, after all, it is a day of surgery to him but it's your lifetime that you will live with this.
Back to top Go down
Balisunset
Part of the furniture
Balisunset

Female

PostSubject: Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass   Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass EmptyFri 20 Sep 2013, 11:40 am

My doctor gave me the choice of Sleeve or bypass for some reason I thought the by pass was old and out of fashion.  Well the band didn't work for many people. 

Is it wise to go the good old tried and tested and has probably been around for 40 years or the new one on the block with only 10 years data to analyze.  

I just watched the Fat Doctor' on Bio and he does more bypasses then sleeve. I never seen him use the band.

Please everyone be honest and tell me what you think or heard. I need some research on this subject and hopefully your it 

Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass 65317
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass   Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass Empty

Back to top Go down

Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass
Page 1 of 1