Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Paralysed Stomach? - Sleeve to Gastric Bypass????

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Suzy77
Part of the furniture
Suzy77

Female
Number of posts : 488
Registration date : 2012-08-28

Paralysed Stomach? - Sleeve to Gastric Bypass???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paralysed Stomach? - Sleeve to Gastric Bypass????   Paralysed Stomach? - Sleeve to Gastric Bypass???? EmptyTue 29 Apr 2014, 9:46 pm

There are lots of things that can cause it but in our case the most common cause is damage to the vagus nerve but it's extremely rare and symptoms of pain and vomitting are more commonly caused by strictures or kinks so no one should worry about this until far more common reasons gave been explored. It is diagnosed with a gastric emptying test which takes a few hours but isn't a big deal. Barium swallows and endoscopy usually explore in case of other causes first. It comes in varying degrees per my research from mild to severe. I had reached the point of severe malnourishment very quickly with it and that is probably the most worrying thing. In the US they sleeve to fix this problem in normal people or bypass which is usually more successful. There are drugs such as motility that can be tried too. The nausea tends to be worse than the pain I find. Just a constant problem whether you eat or not so you need drugs to treat that. If surgeries and drugs don't work then feeding tubes are an option. I can't stress enough how horrible it is to live on one so if it can be avoided then do so. I've had people worry before about this but it's never turned out to be so I don't think anyone should worry unless they have a diagnosed empty test as there really is so many other things than can cause this and be easily fixed.
Back to top Go down
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female
Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2012-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Paralysed Stomach? - Sleeve to Gastric Bypass????   Paralysed Stomach? - Sleeve to Gastric Bypass???? EmptyTue 29 Apr 2014, 12:02 pm

Suzy, are you able to give any insight into gastroparesis, how it occurs, suggested treatments etc?  Cheers xo
Back to top Go down
Suzy77
Part of the furniture
Suzy77

Female
Number of posts : 488
Registration date : 2012-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Paralysed Stomach? - Sleeve to Gastric Bypass????   Paralysed Stomach? - Sleeve to Gastric Bypass???? EmptyTue 29 Apr 2014, 11:39 am

I've just responded to your message. I have gastroparesis among other things. How much do you get in? How long and what symptoms have you had?
Back to top Go down
emmybell83

Female
Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Paralysed Stomach? - Sleeve to Gastric Bypass????   Paralysed Stomach? - Sleeve to Gastric Bypass???? EmptyTue 29 Apr 2014, 10:55 am

Hi everyone,
I have been having trouble with my food getting stuck which i have posted about previously. I have spoken with a surgeon tonight via Skype. He thinks that with all my symptoms etc that my stomach may be paralysed (he is going to investigate this further) and this is why the food isn't going down as it should because the barium swallow test looked normal he seems to think this might be the problem. If this is the problem then my only option is to have a gastric bypass - has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone gone from sleeve to gastric bypass? I would love to hear about anyones experiences, complications etc . I am so scared about having this if i need to. :(
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paralysed Stomach? - Sleeve to Gastric Bypass????   Paralysed Stomach? - Sleeve to Gastric Bypass???? Empty

Back to top Go down

Paralysed Stomach? - Sleeve to Gastric Bypass????
Page 1 of 1