AuthorMessage
Balisunset
Part of the furniture
Balisunset

Female
Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2013-06-19

Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass   Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass EmptyTue 24 Sep 2013, 10:13 am

Ok maybe that's why our doctors decide it is not reversible  or choose not to tell us.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Answer from Shaw Somers Clinic   Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass EmptyTue 24 Sep 2013, 1:36 am

Hi, I just received an email from Shaw Somers Clinic (Fat Doctors) re reversing a by pass.

Here is the copy

My email to them....
Hi,

I just watched an episode of the Fat Doctors and I'm sure I heard someone say that a Gastric Bypass is completely reversible.

I'm trying to decide whether to have a sleeve or a bypass.  

Did I hear correctly? Is the bypass reversible?

Their email to me....

Hi There,

Yes you did hear correctly, although a reversal is a very big operation, not a decision that would be taken lightly.

Kind Regards

Streamline Surgical Team
[url=tel:0800 1577 033]0800 1577 033[/url]
[url=tel:0208 950 0698]0208 950 0698[/url]
www.streamline-surgical.com
Back to top Go down
Suzy77
Part of the furniture
Suzy77

Female
Number of posts : 488
Registration date : 2012-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass   Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass EmptyMon 23 Sep 2013, 4:10 am

Wel I think you are very brave to face surgery after everything you've been through. The idea of another surgery makes me want to cry I cannot stand the hospital, tests, appointments so much after the year I've had. I want to be done with all of it. Let's hope you've had your run of bad luck and it's onwards and upwards from here. I've had my sanity questioned too only for physical reasons for my issues to then be found. I know how truly horrible that can be.
Good luck
Xx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass   Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass EmptyMon 23 Sep 2013, 1:04 am

Thanks for the reply Suzy.

When I first got cancer (before it was diagnosed) I lost over 40kgs in less than 6 months. I needed constant blood and iron transfusions.  I was hospitalised heaps of times for investigations and once to put on weight.  I was told I had anorexia nervosa, I didn't think I did because I did eat I just couldn't eat a lot before feeling sick.  I agreed to be assessed by a psychiatrist because I was talked into thinking I had an eating disorder.  The psych assessment showed that I didn't have an eating disorder and suggested more investigations were warranted.  That's when they discovered the cancer.

To this day I am angry that a potentially deadly illness was almost not diagnosed because doctors who can't find answers label people with psychiatric issues.  I never had any history of psych problems or eating problems, I had pneumonia in both lungs, heart failure, kidney problems and a massive infection in my left ankle but despite all these physical things that weren't "in my head" they still threw the psych label at me. Now, if I have a psych issue I'll accept it and deal with it no problems but when you know something is physically very, very wrong and they won't listen, it sticks with you for the rest of your life.

It turns out I had Bone Marrow cancer.  I was one of the lucky ones and I had 6 months of chemo and as long as I have maintainance treatment I'll be okay. A lot of people didn't get chemo for the same disease because it wasn't on the PBS, PHI said it was "experimental" and wouldn't help pay for it, so I sold my home and used some of the money to pay the $50,000 that the chemo cost. Some people didn't have that option and simply died. Now that same chemo is on the PBS and is supplied free.........go figure!

I am still angry and distrustful with a lot of doctors, some of them are just plain outrightly incompetent.

The one good thing to have come out of this is that I have been told a number of times that I had weeks to live and it made me come to terms with life/death/dying and all that stuff and its incredibly liberating.  My one fear is living a painful disabled life, that's why I need this surgery, come hell or highwater.
Back to top Go down
Suzy77
Part of the furniture
Suzy77

Female

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass   Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass EmptyMon 23 Sep 2013, 12:26 am

Hi Swayback and Coco
Swayback I think your thought processes are all normal and we all have had them....what will happen if we get stomach cancer or another serious illness and I think as you say you are not worried enough about this for it to stop you having the surgery, I felt exactly same. Your thoughts about not losing weight and developing an eating disorder are also perfectly rational. Not losing weight would be difficult. I won't say it doesn't happen but the chances are extremely slim and if you pick your surgeon well you will be unlikely to have that issue though how much weight you lose will always be down to you. As for an eating disorder, I know a couple who have that so it's a possibility. I have developed anxiety issues around eating and it's hard work to ensure I eat but I do because I cannot let all this be for nothing. i see a psychologist to help me learn to enjoy food again but I have been on liquid or mushy for a year. Never got off these phases and today one year later I have a feeding tube still though the reason for this is physical not emotional. I've had it several times and since may, almost continuously. Since may I've been under instruction to put on weight but still it dropped and I'm 11kgs under surgeons goal right now. I can't tell you how hard it is to have to put on weight. A challenge I never thought I'd have. Seeing my ribs and hip bone poke out is awful and I spend most of everyday in bed with no energy at all. Coco, I think you are well past the complications stage so you should be fine tho down the track I know there are problems we might have. I've been hospitalised 14 times since my sleeve op a year ago and had 6 surgeries so far. Complications from both sleeve and bypass but no leak which is the one thing everyone worries about most. I never Knew all the other things that can happen! I wish reflux was the worst but it's not even close to some of the chronic pain I'm left with. I wear fentanyl patches and take endone/morphine and have for many months. Anyways I don't want to put anyone off the surgery so I won't go on further. I think both sleeve and bypass are excellent surgeries and your chances of anything bad happenning including eating disorders etc are extremely slim.

Good luck everyone
Xxx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass   Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass EmptySun 22 Sep 2013, 1:32 pm

Hi, part of the reason I was considering by pass instead of the sleeve is that when I saw the surgeon two years ago he said that bypass is a better surgery for people who have reflux problems.

I've already had a Fundo for reflux with Barretts and a hiatus hernia repair but the hernia has returned and gastroscopies show chronic oesophagitis from continuing reflux.

I'm a little concerned about the sleeve after reading on here that a lot of people have reflux problems after their surgery.  I was going to discuss this with the surgeon on Wednesday..

As for the reversibility issue.  I had never heard that it could be reversed until I saw Fat Doctors the other night. So that has not been part of my thinking in selecting what type of surgery to have (assuming I'm accepted).  However, it is good to know that if there are health issues down the track it is an option.

My concern is that 1) I have the surgery and I don't lose weight and 2) I have the surgery and develop an eating disorder like anorexia. I've read where some people switch one compulsion (overeating) for another...alcohol, smoking or anorexia. I don't particularly like alcohol and I don't smoke but the opposite end of the eating disorder spectrum is my main concern.  I really need to discuss this fear with the psychologist.

Having said this, I'm not worried enough to refuse the surgery if its offered.
Back to top Go down
cocosnuts
Part of the furniture
cocosnuts

Female
Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2011-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass   Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass EmptySun 22 Sep 2013, 12:43 pm

aww no you poor thing suzy! reflux is the worst!!!! has your surgeon given you a plan to put on weight? what sort of health issues are you having? I do worry about what may happen in the future. my surgeon tells me not to be such a worry wart.

bali I wasn't judging you for worrying about it being reversed. I just think that it shouldn't really be the selling point between the two surgeries. A huge good luck to you on your weight loss journey :) You will do amazingly no matter which surgery you have.
xo
Back to top Go down
http://chloereed.blogspot.com/
Suzy77
Part of the furniture
Suzy77

Female

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass   Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass EmptySun 22 Sep 2013, 10:44 am

I considered that too and definately agree it has to be part of the thought process but I decided chances are slim plus you could have problems which means reversible isn't guaranteed anyways so I felt it couldn't be my decision maker.

Good luck Tina
Xx
Back to top Go down
Balisunset
Part of the furniture
Balisunset

Female

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass   Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass EmptySun 22 Sep 2013, 10:35 am

I am purely interested in the reversible in case down the track if you get illnessness and some part of your by pass will help with your prognosis.
Back to top Go down
Suzy77
Part of the furniture
Suzy77

Female

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass   Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass EmptySun 22 Sep 2013, 10:20 am

Hi Coco, yes absolutely terrible reflux. I've been on nexium since the sleeve op and stayed on it post bypass. I've tried several times to stop but the reflux is unbearable. I know of others who have had the bypass with same. It is a minor issue compared to everything else I have to deal with though. I'm very jealous of how well you have done....a huge congrats on your weightloss, your positive attitude and doing so well with your diet! Whilst I've lost weight I've lost too much and remain plagued with problems and hospital admissions one year down the track. You are very lucky!!

As with you I also agree that should you be wanting something reversible then surgery probably isn't the right option to be considering. anneh, I agree....doesn't seem logical to be able to reverse the bypass but it is more common than you think! Last time I had a surgery someone else was in with that very reason.

Wishing everyone lots of luck with their decision!
Xx
Back to top Go down
cocosnuts
Part of the furniture
cocosnuts

Female
Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2011-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass   Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass EmptySun 22 Sep 2013, 7:35 am

Hi Guys,

Suzy- Really you got reflux? I have a Bypass and my surgeon advised me its impossible.... I used to suffer terribly with it before hand... In the last 2 years I haven't had it once.

I think, Why would you choose a weight loss surgery based on it being reversible? Im really interested in the reasons behind people who are interested in something specifically because its reversible? I personally cant think of anything worse than reversing it. I ADORE my bypass and all its done for me :) Ive lost over 85kilos in the last 2 years, I NEVER would've been able to do that myself. And if I reversed it, I would gain weight again because I wouldn't be happy with the small amount I eat and would always be hungry.

I have never had an issue with dumping. I now eat a balanced diet, but if I want a treat I will have it, I haven't had an issue at all! we have food days at work, so very occasionally I will over indulge and still haven't had a problem. I also have my levels checked every 3 months, I stopped taking all the vitamins after 6 months, just take a multivitamin every day (or when I remember lol) and have only once had low vitamin d never anything else. I was told that some people absorb things better and It depends on your diet too not just what vitamins you take. Im not sure if that's why I haven't had any issues.

I chose to have the bypass as my first option, I did ALOT of research into the 3 different surgeries and automatically ruled out banding. I saw a few dr's and was told that Bypass is the Gold class of weight loss surgeries due to the reliability that it will work and rarely need any follow up surgeries. I was already leaning heavily in that direction, This secured it for me. That and I wanted to go public (they still would do sleeves publically if you really wanted it) and the surgeon rarely did sleeves because he believed more in the bypass so I was much more comfortable with my decision :) In the end I ended up going with a private surgeon so could've chosen what ever I wanted, but after 2 years on the public list waiting for a bypass, I still wanted the bypass.

As with everything, You need to figure out what suits your situation and lifestyle. For me, I didn't want to put my trust and heart and soul into something to have it have to be reversed or revised. The sleeve is a wonderful surgery, and has great results. I have had one of my beautiful friends come to me and chat about surgery options and I recommended a sleeve to her, as I just have tonight with my aunty. Either way lovely, You will have great results they are both fabulous surgeries and have done all of us on here an amazing life saving favour.
Back to top Go down
http://chloereed.blogspot.com/
Balisunset
Part of the furniture
Balisunset

Female

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass   Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass EmptySat 21 Sep 2013, 6:58 am

Suzy 77

Good to hear the point of view from someone who has both. I appreciate everyone's views and sharing of info.

Swayback, If your doctor gets back to you his reply would be interesting when I rang my doctor I was enquiring about a band used in the sleeve. My doctor does not do it because there isn't enough data out on it.
Back to top Go down
anneh70

Female
Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass   Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass EmptySat 21 Sep 2013, 5:08 am

I would doubt that the bypass is reversible! It just doesn't seem logical.  
On a different note I could listen to that surgeon talk all day. He just genuinely seems like such a sweetheart  ;)
Back to top Go down
Suzy77
Part of the furniture
Suzy77

Female

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass   Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass EmptySat 21 Sep 2013, 2:47 am

I think he is just generalising and it is true many can be reversed but depends on personal circumstances. I would hate someone to make a decision based on that and then find out it couldn't be. Being someone who has had sleeve and bypass I'm very pro sleeve even tho it was disastrous for me. If you don't have to have a bypass I don't know why you would choose it over the sleeve. The bypass with its dumping, supplements, dilatation are all reasons given a choice it would be the sleeve in my opinion.

Good luck...hope Dr Summers responds but I have a feeling he will be even busier than our surgeons here to get an answer out of!
Xxx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass   Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass EmptySat 21 Sep 2013, 2:35 am

Hi Suzy, I thought the bypass wasn't reversible either. That's why I pricked my ears up when the surgeon on Fat Doctors said and I quote "it's completely reversible".

I don't know if that was a slip of the tongue or maybe he does it differently to other surgeons or why he said it.

I found Shaw Somers email address and I have sent off an email to ask for some clarification on it.

Lets see if he answers.
Back to top Go down
Suzy77
Part of the furniture
Suzy77

Female

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass   Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass EmptySat 21 Sep 2013, 2:13 am

Just be careful anyone thinking of the bypass because its reversible. Sometimes it isn't if you have any complications so I just wanted to put the record straight on that.

Also I've had reflux bad with the sleeve and bypass. No difference there.

As I put on the other thread the only pro I found with the bypass vs sleeve was a more natural feeling of being full.

Xxx
Back to top Go down
Balisunset
Part of the furniture
Balisunset

Female

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass   Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass EmptySat 21 Sep 2013, 12:59 am

Thanks Swayback

That's what got me interested in the bypass because the on the fat doctors last night they said it's reversible where the sleeve isn't.  Why have two surgeries.  

As for dumping I get that without any of the ops. Thanks for reply. Much to think about
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass   Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass EmptyFri 20 Sep 2013, 11:49 pm

Hi, I'm thinking of asking my doctor for the by pass.  Not only do you get the benefit of a small stomach but you absorb less food too. They are well aware of the malabsorption of nutrients now and can do regular testing and give supplements if needed.

I think when the doctors say that if the sleeve doesn't work they can do part two and do the by pass.....why do two surgeries....I'd rather have it all done at once.

I watched fat doctor last night and he said the by pass was reversible, that made my mind up that I was going to ask for a by pass.  Specially as the by pass has fewer post op problems with reflux.
Back to top Go down
Balisunset
Part of the furniture
Balisunset

Female

PostSubject: Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass   Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass EmptyFri 20 Sep 2013, 11:39 am

My doctor gave me the choice of Sleeve or bypass for some reason I thought the by pass was old and out of fashion.  Well the band didn't work for many people. 

Is it wise to go the good old tried and tested and has probably been around for 40 years or the new one on the block with only 10 years data to analyze.  

I just watched the Fat Doctor' on Bio and he does more bypasses then sleeve. I never seen him use the band.

Please everyone be honest and tell me what you think or heard. I need some research on this subject and hopefully your it 

Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass 65317
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass   Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass Empty

Back to top Go down

Gastric Sleeve vs gastric Bypass
Page 1 of 1