chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Central Coast says hello - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Central Coast says hello   Central Coast says hello - Page 3 EmptyMon 02 Jun 2008, 11:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi everyone :D
I live on the Central Coast of NSW and am booked in to have the sleeve done by Dr Talbot in Sydney on 23rd June 2008.
It's been a bit of a wait, firstly because I was doing research, and then because the doc had to go away a couple of times.
Like most people, I considered the lapband first, but decided that the sleeve was the best option for me, for a variety of reasons - and the doc agreed. WLS has been suggested to me several times over the last few years, however I've always said it wasn't for me - until I read a magazine article about a woman who could have been me, and had had the lapband and it has made a huge difference in her life. I decided that if she could have such a positive result, it was worth while finding out more about it before saying no again. :?:
I've been doing the Optifast thing for the last several weeks, because after I finally decided to go ahead with the surgery I found that I was having a bit of a "food funeral" and started putting on weight, which I'd been losing since the beginning of the year.
So far I've lost nearly 15kg this year, and about half of that has been while I've been on Optifast. It's still a week until I really had to start it, but I'm in a better place now because I started it early.
No, I don't really like the taste, but I feel more in control now and am happy that I'm losing weight before the op - but under no illusions that I could just keep on dieting successfully to lose all the weight I have to and do without the op, either. :lol:
I'm a bit nervous about it, but having just had carpal tunnel surgery and found that a lot easier than I expected, I think I've settled down a bit now.
I'm 51 years old, 160cm, and currently 135 kg. I was 150 kg at the beginning of this year, and that's the biggest I've ever been.
I have diabetes, and have to take insulin 4 times a day, as well as medication. I also have reflux, which the doc said he'd fix while he's there. Add arthritis, chronic back pain, asthma, and a few other bits and pieces, and you get the picture that I'm not a very healthy person.
I also suffer from severe depression, which is one of the reasons I put a lot of weight on, as I eat a lot when I'm depressed. Having suffered badly from this over the last several years, I put on heaps of weight. I'm only now able to do something about it because the depression's improved so much over the last 6 months or so, with a new treatment I'm having. ☀
My husband works in Sydney each day, which means I'm alone much of the time. I don't work any more due to my health problems. So the internet support that I'm getting is very important to me, and I really appreciate this new site that I've just found.
I have told a couple of people I'm having the surgery, and most have been okay about it. Only one will be able to visit me in hospital though. I haven't told any of my family because I know that there will be some very negative responses and I just don't want to have to deal with that yet. I haven't yet decided when or if I'll tell them about it.
My husband is going to stay in a motel nearby, so he can visit me at night and not worry about travelling all the way home each day - he usually spends 5 hours travelling, so it'll be good for him not to have to do that, even if he does have to spend time visiting me! 🎅
Bye for now
Chris
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Central Coast says hello   Central Coast says hello - Page 3 EmptyThu 12 Jun 2008, 7:02 am

Thanks hayley,

I felt like i needed to, they are a great bunch of girls( apart from one, but i wont go there...lol)
Most people that i have told my weight to have had a hard time believing me i think cos im am reasonably tall and dress well (lots of black to cover everything up..lol) .I have even had one say to me, i didnt think you would be a candidate for that.
But i am overweight by around 30-35kg and that is enough for me to go ahead with this surgery.

Thanks again

Nicole ☀
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Central Coast says hello   Central Coast says hello - Page 3 EmptyTue 10 Jun 2008, 4:03 pm

Its so great to see that there are a few at the same time about to go in for ops... I hope it makes things a little less nerve wracking knowing that there is someone else out there feeling the same way with the nerves!!
I must also commend you on you courage to talk with your co workers about your upcoming surgery Nicole, and telling them your weight! I think thats fantastic that you have done that, I think if I was on there end of the conversation, I would understand more knowing the amount you have to lose, and your goals...but at the same time knowing you have nothing to explain to me. Know what I mean??
Well done Nicole, it must have been tricky, you've done better than me!!
Hayley
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female
Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Central Coast says hello   Central Coast says hello - Page 3 EmptyTue 10 Jun 2008, 2:39 pm

Hi everyone,

I have been telling more and more people as my date gets closer(27th june). I just thought bugger it and told people from work most seem to be supportive and i have had a few now really interested in what they do. But some wont ever understand and most of those people are the thin ones. I am or was 108kg im now 105.6 yee haaa and most people have gasped when i told them my weight as they dont think i weigh that much ( yes i have told them my weight...i think so that they understand more).
The optifast i seem to be getting used to, at first i thought yuk, but its getting easier to drink.

Hey chris we are now sleeve triplets( not twins anymore)

You both should go to the diary section and start your journal. So people can follow or stories.

Bye for now

Nicole
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Central Coast says hello   Central Coast says hello - Page 3 EmptyTue 10 Jun 2008, 12:09 pm

Yes, it's a dilemma, isn't it? Wish I had an answer to the problem!
Thanks - not doing so well on the Optifast today, though. Better luck tomorrow...
Chris
Back to top Go down
Jezzybel
Part of the furniture
Jezzybel

Female
Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2008-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Central Coast says hello   Central Coast says hello - Page 3 EmptyTue 10 Jun 2008, 9:34 am

Ah, to tell or not to tell!
As I've said, my family are all in the loop, and my best friend knows, but that's it so far.
I'm pretty close to my fiance's family (who are all stick thin, damn them) and we see them fairly regularly, so my main concern regarding telling people is what I'm going to do if they ask me about my weight loss (which I'm hoping will be huge, of course!) after my surgery. I'm too embarrassed to tell them the truth about it, and none of them have really struggled with their weight, so I'm not sure they'd get it... any advice?
Also, can I just say, I'm so impressed with you guys doing Optifast. Last time I attempted it, I managed 2 weeks, before getting drunk and falling spectacularly off the wagon, devouring about 2 party platters of nuts, chips and dip :lol:
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Central Coast says hello   Central Coast says hello - Page 3 EmptyTue 10 Jun 2008, 7:42 am

Oh, I know where you're coming from! but I've stuck to cheese and a piece of silverside and some extra veggies - trying to be very good. If I have to eat Optifast, I'm determined to make it count! LOL
Chris
Back to top Go down
bugsbonclyde
bugsbonclyde

Female
Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2008-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Central Coast says hello   Central Coast says hello - Page 3 EmptyTue 10 Jun 2008, 7:29 am

can i just add that i've had no chocolate today, appart from the chocolate optifast which did not cut it and i am craving it chocolate like there's no tomorrow!!! i can't go the shop to get any because i've taken pain killers for a toothache i have :x lol think i will have to raid the milo tin lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.rkm.id.au
bugsbonclyde
bugsbonclyde

Female

PostSubject: Re: Central Coast says hello   Central Coast says hello - Page 3 EmptyTue 10 Jun 2008, 7:23 am

hi chris,

my surgeon said that if the steak is tender then i should be able to eat some of it, however i like my meat well done, funeral pyred my boyfriend calls it, apparently that wont get digested apparently lol i did optifast for about 5 weeks a while ago and did all right on it, but then had a death in the family and that knocked me for a six. i wish i could talk to my sister about the surgery but she doesn't want to know. so i will leave it be it's not worth the arguement. the stupid thing is she's a nurse and knows my health problems so you'd think she'd be all for it. :x :roll: 🇳🇴

why did u decide on the sleeve instead of the band? instinct is telling me the sleeve is the better option, but people don't understand that either lol i go back and see the surgeon next month, i am waiting for a sleep apnea test to be done, i hope he gives me my date then, he has told me it would only be a matter of weeks between getting the date and going in. so maybe by the end of next month?? fingers crossed!!!!

take care

del
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Central Coast says hello   Central Coast says hello - Page 3 EmptyTue 10 Jun 2008, 7:08 am

Hi Bugs
Nice to meet you! LOL
Oh, good, we can do optifat together. I like it when others are suffering along with me. I must say that I'm finding it more difficult yesterday and today, after eating real food on the weekend. I've been a bit naughty, but not too bad.
No, not exercising - lucky to make it up to the post box these days, or even the letterbox! LOL
I found my BSLs dropped remarkably with the Optifast, and of course had to reduce the insulin, so I'm sure you'll find the same. Good luck!
Interesting - I have been told that there should not be any restrictions in what I eat, just the size of the meal. I guess different people experience different things, too.
What a shame you've had such a negative experience when you've been brave enough to tell people about the wls. I actually told my sister yesterday. Had to really, as she's coming up from Tassie to visit while I'm in hospital. She hadn't told me the dates before, just that she was coming up for Mum's birthday, but she's actually coming up a week early, and so we clashed. Another friend from Tassie has decided that her visit has to be next week - and she loves to feed people - and I'll be on Optifast. Haven't decided what to tell her yet. But since I've told my sister, I guess I'll have to put it out there to the others. Even though she's sworn to secrecy, things have a habit of getting out there when you tell just that one person, don't they?
I hope that you get our surgery date soon, and that it's not a long wait for you.
Best wishes
Chris
Back to top Go down
bugsbonclyde
bugsbonclyde

Female

PostSubject: Re: Central Coast says hello   Central Coast says hello - Page 3 EmptyTue 10 Jun 2008, 6:48 am

hi chris,

i related very much to your intro!!! i am still waiting for a surgery date as i am diabetic and my surgeon wants my bsl to go down before he gives me one, so i started optifast properly today and fingers crossed my bsl will start to drop

nicely. congrats on your weight loss also!!!! are you exercising? i am wanting to get back into the pool again. i had decided on the band but my last visit to the surgeon convinced me to have the sleeve done. i have a friend who is banded and she's against the sleeve, she wants me to get banded and then if the band fails go the sleeve, my boyfriend is against the sleeve because it's permanent and my sister is against all types of weight loss surgery so i can't disccuss any of it with her and if i told her i was having most of my stomach cut out she'd have me committed, she's said some nasty things to me when i told her i was having the band, so supportive she is not! i have told a few friends here and there about the band, not the sleeve some have been fine and others not. so i have decided that i unless asked i wont be saying anything about wls to anyone. my sister did make a comment one day last week about the amount of soups i've been making, as i've been getting ready for post op, lol i told her that it's winter i always make a lot of soup in winter, which is true, i just dont usually blend it all to within an inch of it's life like i have been lol

i chuckled with the food funeral comment, i have found the past few days i have been thinking "bugga, wont be able to eat this next month so i will have it now" lol i must stop that! though i will enjoy my last well done steak before surgery as i have been told that i wont be able to have it after the sleeve, oh and a sausage sizzle from bunnings! i love them :P

take care

bugs
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Central Coast says hello   Central Coast says hello - Page 3 EmptyTue 10 Jun 2008, 1:40 am

Hi Jezzybel
Ooh, that means you're just a few days before me! Good luck, and I look forward to hearing how you went. I know what you mean about putting on weight at the last minute - I put on 2kg on the weekend! LOL
Chris
Back to top Go down
Jezzybel
Part of the furniture
Jezzybel

Female
Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2008-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Central Coast says hello   Central Coast says hello - Page 3 EmptyTue 10 Jun 2008, 1:38 am

Hey Chris, nice to meet you!
I've got 10 days left till my surgery. I didn't need to go on Optifast - thank god! I've been on it in the past and ended up wanting to kill everyone who was eating real, yummy food around me :lol:
I can really relate to food funerals - it made me laugh when I read that and realised that was exactly what I was doing! I'm having a funeral for steak tonight in case I can't eat it after the surgery :D I just hope I haven't put on another 5 kg by my operation from 'saying goodbye' to all the foods I love...
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Central Coast says hello   Central Coast says hello - Page 3 EmptyMon 09 Jun 2008, 10:58 pm

Thanks, Hayley.
Had a real 'food funeral' last weekend, as hubby's birthday, our anniversary and the last weekend before the final two weeks of Optifast all came together.
It was lovely to eat real food, especially as we made a big thing of it, but my stomach was glad when I went back to the Optifast and didn't fill it up so much! LOL
Bye for now
Chris
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Central Coast says hello   Central Coast says hello - Page 3 EmptyTue 03 Jun 2008, 2:05 am

Welcome Chris!!

Thankyou for your awesome intro, and might I say...AWESOME 15kilo loss!! Well done, you are on the road. I remember just before I went into surgery, I had the same thing with the 'food funeral' that you have so aptly called it! Wow, it's like you eat without thinking about it, and like there'll be no tomorrow! LOL. I admire you for opting for the opti yuck when you knew what was happening, it takes a woman/man of strong courage to choose that stuff, even though most of us have to when it comes to WLS. Thankyou again for sharing, hope to chat soon!!
Hayley :joker:
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Central Coast says hello   Central Coast says hello - Page 3 EmptyMon 02 Jun 2008, 11:47 pm

Hi everyone :D
I live on the Central Coast of NSW and am booked in to have the sleeve done by Dr Talbot in Sydney on 23rd June 2008.
It's been a bit of a wait, firstly because I was doing research, and then because the doc had to go away a couple of times.
Like most people, I considered the lapband first, but decided that the sleeve was the best option for me, for a variety of reasons - and the doc agreed. WLS has been suggested to me several times over the last few years, however I've always said it wasn't for me - until I read a magazine article about a woman who could have been me, and had had the lapband and it has made a huge difference in her life. I decided that if she could have such a positive result, it was worth while finding out more about it before saying no again. :?:
I've been doing the Optifast thing for the last several weeks, because after I finally decided to go ahead with the surgery I found that I was having a bit of a "food funeral" and started putting on weight, which I'd been losing since the beginning of the year.
So far I've lost nearly 15kg this year, and about half of that has been while I've been on Optifast. It's still a week until I really had to start it, but I'm in a better place now because I started it early.
No, I don't really like the taste, but I feel more in control now and am happy that I'm losing weight before the op - but under no illusions that I could just keep on dieting successfully to lose all the weight I have to and do without the op, either. :lol:
I'm a bit nervous about it, but having just had carpal tunnel surgery and found that a lot easier than I expected, I think I've settled down a bit now.
I'm 51 years old, 160cm, and currently 135 kg. I was 150 kg at the beginning of this year, and that's the biggest I've ever been.
I have diabetes, and have to take insulin 4 times a day, as well as medication. I also have reflux, which the doc said he'd fix while he's there. Add arthritis, chronic back pain, asthma, and a few other bits and pieces, and you get the picture that I'm not a very healthy person.
I also suffer from severe depression, which is one of the reasons I put a lot of weight on, as I eat a lot when I'm depressed. Having suffered badly from this over the last several years, I put on heaps of weight. I'm only now able to do something about it because the depression's improved so much over the last 6 months or so, with a new treatment I'm having. ☀
My husband works in Sydney each day, which means I'm alone much of the time. I don't work any more due to my health problems. So the internet support that I'm getting is very important to me, and I really appreciate this new site that I've just found.
I have told a couple of people I'm having the surgery, and most have been okay about it. Only one will be able to visit me in hospital though. I haven't told any of my family because I know that there will be some very negative responses and I just don't want to have to deal with that yet. I haven't yet decided when or if I'll tell them about it.
My husband is going to stay in a motel nearby, so he can visit me at night and not worry about travelling all the way home each day - he usually spends 5 hours travelling, so it'll be good for him not to have to do that, even if he does have to spend time visiting me! 🎅
Bye for now
Chris
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Central Coast says hello   Central Coast says hello - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Central Coast says hello
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3