10 posters
AuthorMessage
madmargi
madmargi

Female
Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2010-04-26

Is anyone else still in diet mode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else still in diet mode?   Is anyone else still in diet mode? EmptySun 17 Oct 2010, 10:53 am

I have always wanted to got Ms Maude's. When we go to Perth I actually want to stay there!
There are several cafe franchises in the burbs shopping centres which is where I usually go. The original city rest't has a Hotel upstairs. I trhink it would be a good place to stay as it is central to everything.
Back to top Go down
thankana
Part of the furniture
thankana

Female
Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2010-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else still in diet mode?   Is anyone else still in diet mode? EmptySun 17 Oct 2010, 4:10 am

madmargi wrote:
[b] D.I.E.T? Do I Eat This?
That is fantastic! I will remember that one. I was ony thinking today how I used to be a WW fanatic, counting points, weighing, measuring blah blah blah.. You all know the ropes! That was a life time ago, now I am a Sleever and I think differently. I wasn't worried about ordering one poached egg on one slice of toast at Ms Maude's yesterday for lunch, my companion didn't blink twice and the waitress obliged. And I didn't have to think D.I.E.T? Margi.

I have always wanted to got Ms Maude's. When we go to Perth I actually want to stay there!
Back to top Go down
madmargi
madmargi

Female
Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2010-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else still in diet mode?   Is anyone else still in diet mode? EmptySat 16 Oct 2010, 10:08 am

[b] D.I.E.T? Do I Eat This?
That is fantastic! I will remember that one. I was ony thinking today how I used to be a WW fanatic, counting points, weighing, measuring blah blah blah.. You all know the ropes! That was a life time ago, now I am a Sleever and I think differently. I wasn't worried about ordering one poached egg on one slice of toast at Ms Maude's yesterday for lunch, my companion didn't blink twice and the waitress obliged. And I didn't have to think D.I.E.T? Margi.
Back to top Go down
AliKat
Part of the furniture
AliKat

Female
Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else still in diet mode?   Is anyone else still in diet mode? EmptyFri 15 Oct 2010, 2:08 pm

D.I.E.T! OMG - I guess that is what I have been doing and you've put into a fantastic acronym!

I have to confess there is still a degree of guilt with food but yeah, I really do think "do I eat this" and there are times I don't and I can honestly say that in the past there are times I would've eaten two of what I was thinking about. I'm no angel yet, I need to improve but I really do think D.I.E.T.

So yep, if the mood requires it - coffee and cake it is and I feel good that I've actually put some thought into what I am doing ... although I don't always necessary realise it at the time.

D.I.E.T. is not a dirty word!
Back to top Go down
Ozzieloz
Part of the furniture
Ozzieloz

Female
Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else still in diet mode?   Is anyone else still in diet mode? EmptyFri 15 Oct 2010, 10:08 am

Hi Alikat - I like what you say:
"I do look at fats, sugar and so on. I look for better alternatives, I go for quality over quantity ... that is my husbands mantra these days "quality".
That's just what my lightbulb moment meant to me - when I choose to eat something in future, I can make the decision for myself, not to suit someone else's standard or formula - and make choices for the quality, not the quantity, of the food and drink. I do need to get to know my own needs and preferences and know the effects of what I choose to eat on my new little tummy - but to me, that word "diet" will no longer have the old punishment feel about it - I will consider "do I eat this" and enjoy what I decide.
It just woke me up, and gave me a great excitement for making those choices, because I know I will always have to choose the best for myself to ensure the best results.
Getting excited now - thanks for sharing great advice and insights.
Ozzieloz
Back to top Go down
AliKat
Part of the furniture
AliKat

Female
Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else still in diet mode?   Is anyone else still in diet mode? EmptyFri 15 Oct 2010, 9:59 am

I think people should also look at how much you aren't eating these days. I had this surgery for a better life and that includes coffee and cake! When I do have coffee and cake I can't finish either - it is marvelous!

I do look at fats, sugar and so on. I look for better alternatives, I go for quality over quantity ... that is my husbands mantra these days "quality". If we feel like Indian we don't bother with the average food court Vindaloo we'll wait and go to our favourite restaurant (which we haven't been to for months).

Enjoy life!
Back to top Go down
thankana
Part of the furniture
thankana

Female

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else still in diet mode?   Is anyone else still in diet mode? EmptyThu 14 Oct 2010, 11:20 pm

Ozzieloz wrote:
Hi again
After my last reply to this topic, I jumped in the shower, coz I really do have to get ready and go to work - but I had one of those lightbulb moments - the "diet" word is really an anacronym for Do I Eat This?!!!!

It's one of those four letter words we will just have to learn to live with! lol - I thought it was funny anyway - all these years of "dieting" that have cause such havoc with my body and mind are now coming to fruition - I will just always have to ask myself "D.I.E.T"? - but it will mean so much more now.

Just pouring out my brain - I thought it was brilliant to make that word have a totally different feeling even!
bye again
Ozzieloz the rambler - getting very excited.
Best wishes and thanks to everyone.

That is brilliant!!!! hugs and kisses to you!
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else still in diet mode?   Is anyone else still in diet mode? EmptyThu 14 Oct 2010, 10:54 pm

Ozilot that was brilliant.

Not long to go now

Big hugs and Kisses
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else still in diet mode?   Is anyone else still in diet mode? EmptyThu 14 Oct 2010, 10:27 pm

How good is that!
Back to top Go down
Ozzieloz
Part of the furniture
Ozzieloz

Female

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else still in diet mode?   Is anyone else still in diet mode? EmptyThu 14 Oct 2010, 9:34 pm

Hi again
After my last reply to this topic, I jumped in the shower, coz I really do have to get ready and go to work - but I had one of those lightbulb moments - the "diet" word is really an anacronym for Do I Eat This?!!!!

It's one of those four letter words we will just have to learn to live with! lol - I thought it was funny anyway - all these years of "dieting" that have cause such havoc with my body and mind are now coming to fruition - I will just always have to ask myself "D.I.E.T"? - but it will mean so much more now.

Just pouring out my brain - I thought it was brilliant to make that word have a totally different feeling even!
bye again
Ozzieloz the rambler - getting very excited.
Best wishes and thanks to everyone.
Back to top Go down
Ozzieloz
Part of the furniture
Ozzieloz

Female

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else still in diet mode?   Is anyone else still in diet mode? EmptyThu 14 Oct 2010, 8:50 pm

Hi everyone
Gee, it's interesting reading this thread - I so look forward to being able to be in a cafe with others and just taking my time to decide what to eat or drink, and making good decisions, instead of rushed "quick I have to eat something" types of decisions.
I wonder what "normal" eating really is? If my sleeve will assist me in making careful decisions for optimal health each time I eat, then it will be working very well for me.
Thanks for the question, and the replies. Makes one realise that diet really means decision, I guess.
Ozzieloz
Back to top Go down
thankana
Part of the furniture
thankana

Female

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else still in diet mode?   Is anyone else still in diet mode? EmptyThu 14 Oct 2010, 8:05 pm

I'm worried when I start eating like a "normal person" that I wont lose weight. Any longtimers out there who eat normal, are you still losing weight?

I dont have a gallbladder so I dont eat high fat food anyway.
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else still in diet mode?   Is anyone else still in diet mode? EmptyThu 14 Oct 2010, 2:21 pm

I feel like I'm in "eat like a normal person" mode, not "diet mode". I mean, I really feel like this must be how "normal" skinny people eat - if I have something higher in calories, the next meal is lower. If I do eat something not strictly on the plan, I only have a tiny bit.

It is wonderful to feel "normal" with eating and not ruled by eating, thinking about eating..etc...
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female
Number of posts : 1702
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else still in diet mode?   Is anyone else still in diet mode? EmptyThu 14 Oct 2010, 5:32 am

What a great question/ thread Thankana.

Im 7 weeks out and I was just thinking the same sort of thing today after having a browse at the shops and looking at the display of sandwiches, cakes, slices, muffins, etc at a little cafe bar (and only walking away with a coffee). I was thinking to myself 'i wonder if ill ever just be able to eat whatever i want'. But then my next thoughts when I see all of those things (apart from the sandwiches) is : my god, I cant eat that- too much fat/ sugar, etc.

So I guess I am heavily in 'diet mode' but I figure that the occasional 'taste' or 'bite' of some sort of treat food wont kill me. Im actually enjoying this new relationship with food- where I dont eat or drink anything without considering the fat/ sugar, etc content of it. I think that for me, its a good way to sort of 'retrain' my mind into thinking about food choices more consciously while the rapid weight loss is happening.

In saying that, my mum and I went shopping last weekend with my 6 year old, and she wanted some hot chips. I got her some - and my mum and I shared a chicken wrap. And I had one hot chip. I enjoyed the taste (although thought after a while it was pretty greasy and fatty- duh!) but didnt want anymore. So I guess its a big step for me because before i would have polished off my own serve plus any of my daughters that she didnt eat!!!

I guess im a little worried about regaining weight if im not careful with my food choices- so Im trying to think about each option and make a good choice, but relax a little when the opportunity arises- like at my engagement party- i had 1/2 of a cupcake. I really liked it, and enjoyed it, but was happy to stop at that.

So i guess this is what they mean by everything in moderation?????

Sorry for the ramble, I guess what Im getting at, is that yes, i am still in diet mode, however, its so i learn and retrain my brain and relationship with food so I dont end up back at 154 kilos.

I hope this has made sense...

Sorry if it didnt (the pain killers for the gastro hasnt completely worn off yet).

Nat xoxoxoxoxo
Back to top Go down
thankana
Part of the furniture
thankana

Female

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else still in diet mode?   Is anyone else still in diet mode? EmptyThu 14 Oct 2010, 3:36 am

TraceyD wrote:
I agree, I think its great that you are being aware of what goes in your mouth. That is what got us all here in the first place I think. Not thinking about the consquences.
What a great reaction you have had. I really hope I can get the mind over matter thing also after my surgery.

It's a weird feeling. Three weeks later and I am still freaked out by how much fills me up! I look at it this way, if I am talking and reading about food and just thinking about it, thats head hunger. If my stomach is "talking" to me or I cld eat anything and it doesnt matter what it is, that's real hunger. Why cldnt I differentiate between the two before I was sleeved? Was it all the ghrelin in my stomach that made it all confusing???
Back to top Go down
thankana
Part of the furniture
thankana

Female

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else still in diet mode?   Is anyone else still in diet mode? EmptyThu 14 Oct 2010, 3:31 am

Thanks for the reply.

I don't mind the no carb thing, I used to not eating carbs and chances are when I can eat normal food I wld be keeping carbs to a minimum anyway. When I want sweets, I have a teaspoon of forme and that stops the craving.

My dietitian said I am doing everything correctly.

I just looked at some recipes in the mushie (yummy!!!) area and when I saw butter and cream I wld substitute this for a healthier non fat alternative. Maybe I will be like this forever, and hey its not a bad thing.
Back to top Go down
TraceyD
Part of the furniture
TraceyD

Female
Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else still in diet mode?   Is anyone else still in diet mode? EmptyThu 14 Oct 2010, 3:26 am

I agree, I think its great that you are being aware of what goes in your mouth. That is what got us all here in the first place I think. Not thinking about the consquences.
What a great reaction you have had. I really hope I can get the mind over matter thing also after my surgery.
Back to top Go down
shelly25
Top Poster
Top Poster
shelly25

Female
Number of posts : 1776
Registration date : 2009-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else still in diet mode?   Is anyone else still in diet mode? EmptyThu 14 Oct 2010, 3:07 am

I think its okay to think sensibly about food choices all through the pre and post surgery,like picking healthier options whenpossible,but not to go over board.Going onto soft foods id still be looking at eating nutritious soft foods and thinking about protien,so including some yogurt.you definately need all the vitamins and minerals you can get.But if you did feel like a bit of icecream or something a bit sugary i wouldnt feel BAd because your eating so little anyway it wont hurt you and once your eating normal after your healed you want to eat a variety of food,which as normal people do,enjoy a treat here and there.
As for carbs like bread that is so filling an gives no nutrition yes its best to concentrate on your protien first then veges/fruits.
Im 7 months out and rarely eat bread.
think healthy most of the time and a treat every now and then youll be fine!!!!!!!!
shelly
Back to top Go down
thankana
Part of the furniture
thankana

Female

PostSubject: Is anyone else still in diet mode?   Is anyone else still in diet mode? EmptyThu 14 Oct 2010, 2:45 am

I had my surgery 3 weeks ago and have been allowed to start soft food. I still look at what is in everything eg oh thats got too much fat, too much sugar, no cream allowed. I cant have carbs for 3 mths, my surgeon asked me not to.

Is anyone else still thinking this way?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else still in diet mode?   Is anyone else still in diet mode? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is anyone else still in diet mode?
Page 1 of 1