WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster
WondaWendy

Female
Number of posts : 1258
Registration date : 2014-04-08

Starvation Mode Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starvation Mode Article   Starvation Mode Article EmptyWed 03 Dec 2014, 8:59 pm

Garfield,  Most of the time I feel really good afterwards, sometimes revitalised, sometimes pleasantly tired - depending on the day.  However, If I've forgotten my iron supplement for a few days, like I did recently, I can feel drained to the point of exhausted for quite a while afterwards.

One of my favourite things is how I feel walking up the ramp to get out of the pool - I can still feel the getting heavier thing as I emerge from the water, but even just 19 point something kilos gone makes a huge difference, and I feel a lot less weighted down.
Back to top Go down
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female
Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2012-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Starvation Mode Article   Starvation Mode Article EmptyWed 03 Dec 2014, 5:53 pm

WondaWendy wrote:
A very interesting article. I feel like I've been doing really well the last couple of weeks, and this article makes me think it's because I'm sitting around 1000 cals a day, which my dietitian recommended, but also as I have been visiting the pool and doing exercises (not swimming) that I guess would count as resistance work

For anyone who's interested in what to do, a physio went with me once and showed me a whole body routine.  I do stretches, then spend about half an hour walking forward, backward and sideways, then do 20 to 30 leg swings forward and back and to each side, then 20 to 30 each of arm swings side to side pushing the water with scooped hands, forward and back, then a sort of round and round one like the butterfly swimming stroke but standing (and the physio that showed it to me said it was important to squeeze my shoulder blades each time), Ithen a backwards version of that too.  Then I have added something into the routine that I used to do in water aerobics which are some pull ins to the side of the pool using my tummy muscles to pull my legs in, touch the wall and then kick them back so I'm basically floating on top of the water again. I try to do 40 or 50 of these. then finish off with a few more stretches.  The whole routine usually takes me between 45 mins. and an hour.  I've been doing it twice a week lately and have felt that the scales have really started to respond - they move about 200g almost every day. So it's 1.8kg until I get down to 100kg - and 1.9kg til I shout "double digits, woohoo!" LOL. I'm a bit focused on that at the moment so you might see me mention it in other posts too, lol.

In this weather, I would recommend water resistance exercises to everyone! Especially as for larger people, it helps to support your weight and reduce the load on knees, ankles and feet.

Cheers,

I would love to hear how stuffed you were after your workout!  So many people think pool resistance work doesn't do much but I am doing the same and some days I literally have to home and lay down!!  You are doing a more intense work out then me, I would be pooped a quarter of the way through and crawling out - but keep coming back because I need the toning and on the water it is more beneficial on my old joints.  Do I really want to go heave ho into exercise and end up with an injury (which gyms don't cover for) or enjoy a bit of exercise in a warm pool then have a gentle paddle afterwards :-)
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Starvation Mode Article   Starvation Mode Article EmptySat 29 Nov 2014, 8:37 am

Glad you liked the article, peeps, I thought it was good. 

I have been trying to up my incidental fidgeting and movement.

"4. Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis (NEAT): Calories burned fidgeting, changing posture, etc. This is usually subconscious."
I have been consciously jiggling and wiggling lol. When ever I am sitting or standing I try to do some sort of movement, like tapping my feet or swinging my arms. While watching TV I chair dance to any music. My family think I have gone nuts and it's really hard to remember to do it as normally I am not fidgety at all. After reading this article I am going to up the weights I do at gym.  I have also bought some velcro wrist and ankle weights that I wear around the house doing my house work. Anything extra has got to help.

Sounds like you're on a roll WondaWendy water resistance would be excellent. I haven't been to a pool for about 30 yrs and haven't scraped up the courage to go yet. Tassie weather hasn't been wonderful so far, I am still wearing jumpers and boots. It doesn't inspire you to strip off. But when the weather does warm up I do want to go to the beach and start some swimming (if I remember how!)

Fiona22, glad it gave you some motivation, sounds like there is going to be some resistance/weight lifting exercises in your near future lol. Go the Warrior!

cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster
WondaWendy

Female
Number of posts : 1258
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Starvation Mode Article   Starvation Mode Article EmptySat 29 Nov 2014, 1:00 am

A very interesting article. I feel like I've been doing really well the last couple of weeks, and this article makes me think it's because I'm sitting around 1000 cals a day, which my dietitian recommended, but also as I have been visiting the pool and doing exercises (not swimming) that I guess would count as resistance work

For anyone who's interested in what to do, a physio went with me once and showed me a whole body routine.  I do stretches, then spend about half an hour walking forward, backward and sideways, then do 20 to 30 leg swings forward and back and to each side, then 20 to 30 each of arm swings side to side pushing the water with scooped hands, forward and back, then a sort of round and round one like the butterfly swimming stroke but standing (and the physio that showed it to me said it was important to squeeze my shoulder blades each time), Ithen a backwards version of that too.  Then I have added something into the routine that I used to do in water aerobics which are some pull ins to the side of the pool using my tummy muscles to pull my legs in, touch the wall and then kick them back so I'm basically floating on top of the water again. I try to do 40 or 50 of these. then finish off with a few more stretches.  The whole routine usually takes me between 45 mins. and an hour.  I've been doing it twice a week lately and have felt that the scales have really started to respond - they move about 200g almost every day. So it's 1.8kg until I get down to 100kg - and 1.9kg til I shout "double digits, woohoo!" LOL. I'm a bit focused on that at the moment so you might see me mention it in other posts too, lol.

In this weather, I would recommend water resistance exercises to everyone! Especially as for larger people, it helps to support your weight and reduce the load on knees, ankles and feet.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Fiona22
Fiona22

Female
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2014-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Starvation Mode Article   Starvation Mode Article EmptySat 29 Nov 2014, 12:07 am

Excellent article Nini, without all the hype.  I have been googling the "is starvation mode real" type articles for a couple of weeks now (yep you can guess why - sigh).  They seem to vary a bit but most seem to say that slowing metabalism is real, but the effect is small.  Lots say it only kicks in after months of severe restriction, and of course not enough to stop weight loss.  The body building community seem to take the "just get on with it" approach as well.  It's really interesting isn't it when the stuff I read more towards supporting "starvation mode" were nearly all trying to sell something.  And yet people in general talk about it all the time as if starvation is somehow causing weight gain.  It can be confusing.

I really like the summary in the last paragraph.  It is complex.  I think my metabolism slows quickly and I am efficient at hanging on to my fat.  I really do.  But I knew that.  I knew I had to eat 800 or below consistently to lose even small consistent amouts of weight and as I have got older it has just become harder to make myself do it.  That is why I got sleeved.  And now I am surprised that I am stuck in a stall when eating around 800??  Short memory.  I just need to get on with my own reality.  800 for me is not that low.  I have to move move move.  Or lift lift lift actually.  That was excellent advice.

Re calories (sorry, am on a roll!) I do know people who were in the Biggest Loser and were very successful.  They were eating around 800 calories most days and doing serious training.  That is what I need to keep in mind for myself but I thought I would share it.  I am sure you all realise how low they actually ate while doing serious exercise.  I need to be less of a princess about my stall and more of a warrior.

Thanks for the motivation Nini!!

hugs.
Back to top Go down
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female
Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2012-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Starvation Mode Article   Starvation Mode Article EmptyFri 28 Nov 2014, 6:20 pm

Brilliant article!
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Starvation Mode Article   Starvation Mode Article EmptyThu 27 Nov 2014, 8:53 am

Another really informative, interesting article on what "starvation mode" is and how to combat it.

http://www.nobullsupplements.com.au/article_info.php?articles_id=127&utm_content=buffer5a2a6&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer&fb_ref=Default&fb_source=message

cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starvation Mode Article   Starvation Mode Article Empty

Back to top Go down

Starvation Mode Article
Page 1 of 1