chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Family Safety Net Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family Safety Net   Family Safety Net EmptyThu 14 Oct 2010, 10:38 pm

Yep - can't claim it until it's actually done, unfortunately.
You will get money back from Medicare all right, but I'm not sure how much. And if you fill in a form there, they will send it straight to the private fund for you, too. Seems quicker that way, as well.
Back to top Go down
fatnomore
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2009-12-30

Family Safety Net Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family Safety Net   Family Safety Net EmptyThu 14 Oct 2010, 9:25 am

also I didnt get my receipt till after I got out of hospital. I got a receipt to say I had paid but it showed me in credit till the operation was done then I could claim it
Back to top Go down
didles
Part of the furniture
didles

Female
Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2010-09-09

Family Safety Net Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family Safety Net   Family Safety Net EmptyThu 14 Oct 2010, 12:31 am

Unfortunately no, It only covers out-of-hospital expenses.

Remember you can claim all medical expenses over $1500 out of pocket (so after medical rebates from medicare and private health insurance) on tax you get 20% back and this includes things like panadol bought from a chemist and prescriptions, dental and glasses. I spoke to my accountant about the optifast and she said I came claim that also as it is doctor prescribed just to keep the letter showing the instructions that it is needed prior to surgery.

I have had 2 kids and braces this tax year as well as my medical expenses we go over $10k a year in medical bills so I know the ins and outs of the tax bit.

Last edited by didles on Thu 14 Oct 2010, 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : had to add something)
Back to top Go down
Sapphire

Female
Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2010-10-08

Family Safety Net Empty
PostSubject: Family Safety Net   Family Safety Net EmptyWed 13 Oct 2010, 11:04 pm

Not sure if this is a silly question, or if it's already been asked Family Safety Net 697586

With my surgeon, you are required to pay for the sleeve prior to surgery. So my question is, when you take the receipt to Medicare before PHI, will you get more than the scheduled fee back if you are over your family safety net? Or do you not, as it's an in hospital procedure?
I know if the bill was forwarded directly to Medicare after the operation it would just be the scheduled fee, however as I am paying in advance and have to go in and claim it back I'm unsure.

Anybody know the answer?
I could always call Medicare but I can't be bothered Family Safety Net 314562
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Family Safety Net Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family Safety Net   Family Safety Net Empty

Back to top Go down

Family Safety Net
Page 1 of 1