Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cooking for the family - will I be okay?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tinacton

Female
Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Cooking for the family - will I be okay? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cooking for the family - will I be okay?   Cooking for the family - will I be okay? EmptySat 19 Dec 2009, 10:02 am

Hi
I started cooking for my family about two weeks after my op and I found it really easy.I am 7 weeks post op now and still enjoy cooking family meals ,even though I cant eat much I love to see everybody else enyoying food.I felt like you before my op but it you just slot back into doing it so try not to worry too much .

Tina
Back to top Go down
Libby
Top Poster
Top Poster
Libby

Female
Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2009-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Cooking for the family - will I be okay?   Cooking for the family - will I be okay? EmptySat 19 Dec 2009, 5:25 am

I don't think I cooked a meal for the first 4 - 8 weeks. I just wasn't interested in food so couldn't be bothered. Luckily my husband can cook and did so for himself and my daughter. I'm only now slowly getting back into it. You need to watch that you don't 'pick' while your preparing or serving up coz then you have less room in your tummy when you are actually sitting down to dinner. I did this when I was slicing up a roast chicken then couldn't actually eat anything off my plate.
I have read on here that some people actually get so 'into' food that they have taken cooking classes. I assume that its coz we can only eat small amounts so they make sure it is fantastic food.
I wouldn't stress too much about it.
Cooking for the family - will I be okay? 217555
Back to top Go down
OpusKV626
Part of the furniture

Male
Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2009-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Cooking for the family - will I be okay?   Cooking for the family - will I be okay? EmptySat 19 Dec 2009, 4:07 am

I do the cooking for my family. I'll say it hasn't been a problem. You'll see. After surgery, I lost my appetite altogether. I only ate on the schedule because I had to. Eating can be a real hassle in the beginning and as such, your interest to nibble will all but disappear.

Cooking in a way was easier after the surgery. Cooking gave me prolonged contact with the food while preparing it. It gave me a type of experience with food and yet did not include eating it. Also after the surgery I've become more conscious of creating healthier options for the family. We've adopted a "no bread at the table" and "no dessert" habit. It even works at restaurants. Send those dinner roll baskets away! But I digress...

I cooked the whole Thanksgiving feast for my family. This included stuffing a turkey, making sides and pies. By the time I was done cooking, I was not even slightly interested in eating. I had a small piece of turkey for the protein, but did not overeat at all.

Cooking for the family isn't as hard as you think it will be. Just go with the flow. Everything post op is a learning experience. Enjoy the journey.
Back to top Go down
Tamara
Part of the furniture
Tamara

Female
Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Cooking for the family - will I be okay?   Cooking for the family - will I be okay? EmptySat 19 Dec 2009, 4:06 am

I had my sleeve done in January, and I have had no problems cooking for my family (its just my husband, our 2 year old daughter and I) even in the beginning when I couldnt eat the same food as them I still had no problems at all.

Almost 1 year out, and I can eat whatever I want (except sometimes chips from the fish and chip shop), so it's really not an issue for me. I however still have not learned to cook smaller amounts so often we have dinner as left overs for a couple of nights Confused

I hope that helps you a bit

xx
Tamara
Back to top Go down
twoangels72
twoangels72

Female
Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2009-12-17

PostSubject: Cooking for the family - will I be okay?   Cooking for the family - will I be okay? EmptySat 19 Dec 2009, 3:39 am

Hi Everyone,

I've only just registered and am having my sleeve done on the 25th January. I'm still doing all my research and have found this site a wealth of information!

I have one question though. I have a husband and two small boys that I do all the cooking for. Once I've had my sleeve, I'm worried i'll loose interest in food (which can't be a bad thing as far as i'm concerned!!) and won't want to cook for my boys.

Has anyone found it hard to do meals for the family? Is this something I should be worrying about - or will I just find my way at some point?

I know deep down it will all just be fine, and i'll find that balance i'm looking for post sleeve given everything I've read. I guess i'm just keen to hear other peoples experiences.

Thanks so much to everyone for posting on this site. Its such a great tool for what to expect down the track and makes doing research really enjoyable.

Current weight 90 kilos.
Surgery scheduled for 25th January with Dr Craig Taylor at the OClinic, Sydney.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cooking for the family - will I be okay?   Cooking for the family - will I be okay? Empty

Back to top Go down

Cooking for the family - will I be okay?
Page 1 of 1