Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment?

Go down 
+12
mini_me_tobe
NutMeg
fatnomore
renee3012
BingoButt
whitegold10
sophia
AzinOZ
kazlikesgreen
janelou29
J
SassyMummy
16 posters
AuthorMessage
MrsSea

Female
Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2010-07-06

Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment?   Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment? EmptyWed 22 Dec 2010, 7:01 am

I'm a month out and I'm having less OMG moments.

In the beginning? Just after my surgery? I had huge buyers remorse though :(
Back to top Go down
lilac
Part of the furniture
lilac

Female
Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2010-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment?   Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment? EmptyWed 22 Dec 2010, 12:54 am

I have OMG moments nearly every day that I over eat something! I think after my sleeving surgery I'll be having less OMG moments actually.

I hate myself especially when I eat dinner, then eat toast, then eat yoghurt, then eat some cheese... you get the picture! The way I figure it, I'm doing a hell of a lot more damage to my body by over eating than what the surgeon will do.

All the best,
Kris
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment?   Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment? EmptyTue 21 Dec 2010, 10:04 am

I did, for a few days after surgery. But I am pretty sure that a lot of people wonder the same thing. There has been many post entitled......OMG What have I done!?
Back to top Go down
redrooter99
Part of the furniture
redrooter99

Female
Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment?   Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment? EmptyTue 21 Dec 2010, 4:19 am

not until i woke up, coughed needed to spew, then wee'd the bed, noice! and had to move so they could change it , ouch!!
Back to top Go down
http://redrooter.blogspot.com/
mini_me_tobe

Female
Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment?   Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment? EmptyWed 01 Sep 2010, 7:34 am

no, but then i had already gone through a hysterectomy and an emergency c- section so i was expecting incision pain when getting in and out of bed which was the case.

food wise there was a few times i wished i could eat more and felt sorry for myself.. but i soon realised i could have more in another meal and started loving the fact i couldnt eat like before.
Back to top Go down
NutMeg
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 769
Registration date : 2009-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment?   Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment? EmptyWed 01 Sep 2010, 1:19 am

I had no thoughts like that pre op, I was very confident in my decision.

I had a few complications in hospital after the surgery - my stomach was in spasm (think calf cramp but in your tummy - ouch!) and I would drink, then throw up and the pain was horrible. So I was put back on the drip, given heaps of pain relief and was lying there practically SCREAMING WTF have I done to myself???? Seriously, if this is what it was going to be like that for the rest of my life - kill me now!

Anyways, after 8 days in hospital I was home and starting on my brilliant recovery. That was 2 months ago and I have had no real regrets since :) Maybe, once or twice when I really, really, really wanted to finish the yummiest prawns in the world but couldn't LOL
Back to top Go down
fatnomore
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2009-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment?   Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment? EmptyWed 01 Sep 2010, 1:00 am

I think everyone does....I had it just before walking into hospital...saying bye to all my kids thinking I could die..well I could die anyday!

Now I love it love it love it. The first 3 weeks are the the hardest in learning what you can eat etc etc but now Im in love. I occasionally wish I could eat a massive bowl of pasta but thats about it...
Back to top Go down
renee3012
renee3012

Female
Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2010-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment?   Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment? EmptyWed 01 Sep 2010, 12:31 am

Hi Sassymum,

You noted you have had you gallbaldder removed, I am not a doctor but i would assume the surgery would be very similar (i told everyone that I had my gallbladder removed if i didn't want them to know about the surgery) hehehe. Anyway I had a huge OMG moment, I ended up huddled in the fetal position crying and calling my mum to rescue me whilst saying to her "what have I done"! After speaking to my surgeon apparently some people have a sense of loss after the surgery lind of like some women have after a hysterectomy. That combined with the GA and pain relief can leave some people feeling quite low. I used this ite as my saviour as hearing it was "normal" for some to feel like that made me realize it was only temporary.

It took me a good few month to get over the whole change and now I love my sleeve! Now I am just waiting for my head to catch up with my weightloss and accept that I am now a lot smaller!

Good luck hope this helps a bit Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment? 217555
Back to top Go down
BingoButt

Female
Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2009-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment?   Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment? EmptyWed 01 Sep 2010, 12:29 am

Hi Guys

I think I had more than 1 OMG Moment.

The first one was in the waiting room, waiting to be taken in...It was like OMG wtf am I doing here...Should I just walk out...Nah everyone gonna call me a chicken chit...

The second was...When I saw my daughter's face after the surgery... was like OMG I'm alive..dang I did it...hmmm wonder how much I lost when they cut out my tummy lol....

The third was when I got reallly pisssy with hubby about 3 months down the track...and I wanted soooooooooooo bad to shovel food down my face and I was like OMGGGGGGGGGGG I am that pissed I can't even force anyhthing down, Total opposite to before the surgery when I'd get annoyed or upset and could eat a whole cheesecake to make me feeel better!

Good Luck in your Journey!
Back to top Go down
SassyMummy
Part of the furniture
SassyMummy

Female
Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2010-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment?   Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment? EmptyTue 31 Aug 2010, 11:37 am

Glad to see that the worrying in momentary!

I'm not worrying now, because it's a whole year away before I can have my surgery, but I just know what I'm like and know it's a strong possibility. I'm such a drama queen. lol.

Like I said to DP when discussing whether or not I could have this procedure... I have proven to myself that I need help when it comes to weightloss by my endless number of attempts, and do I really want to get to my 40s and FINALLY give in and have it done but wish I had had just sucked it up and gotten it done in my 20s instead (I'm 24 now) so I could enjoy the benefits in my youth as well?!

So I mean, I know, rationally, that this is a good decision for me. DP agrees too.

The only other surgeries I have had were a c-sec and my gallbladder removal.
Back to top Go down
http://randomchickrandomthoughts.blogspot.com/
whitegold10
whitegold10

Female
Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2010-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment?   Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment? EmptyTue 31 Aug 2010, 11:23 am

I was so confident in my decision the whole way through pre-op until about 2 days before when i was like OMG what have i decided to do to myself!! Now 1 month post-op I am loving my sleeve and do not regret a thing. Im so damn happy. There is however the odd moment (as im still trying to change my head thinking and get over my fat mentality) where im like omg i cant believe i actually went through with this Im so dramatic haha. It only lasts a couple minutes at most. Best thing I ever did. Work through the worry and think of all the positives, as the positives far outweigh the worries.
Back to top Go down
J
Part of the furniture
J

Male
Number of posts : 761
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment?   Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment? EmptyTue 31 Aug 2010, 10:43 am

sophia wrote:
Yeah, my OMG moment was 2 days post op, almost crying in desparation because I could now never eat 2 large serves of hot chips from Red Rooster in one sitting again. Go figure. I put it down to anaesthetic drugs :)

haha thats hillarious..

Youll just have to savor those Red Rooster chips now when you can only eat about 5 and your full :)

Back to top Go down
sophia
Part of the furniture
sophia

Female
Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment?   Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment? EmptyTue 31 Aug 2010, 10:29 am

Yeah, my OMG moment was 2 days post op, almost crying in desparation because I could now never eat 2 large serves of hot chips from Red Rooster in one sitting again. Go figure. I put it down to anaesthetic drugs :)
Back to top Go down
AzinOZ
Part of the furniture
AzinOZ

Female
Number of posts : 428
Registration date : 2010-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment?   Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment? EmptyTue 31 Aug 2010, 10:28 am

I honestly never experienced that moment, I was so steadfast in my decision, granted I made the decision right on the back of my very very healthy 65 year old uncle going into cardiac arrest, being deprived of oxygen for 8 hours, having his body frozen to save his brain function and finally being told he has a 1% chance of him ever waking up. He survived, he woke up and I spent every night at his bedside helping teach him how to eat, walk and learn who everyone is again. I guess you don't go through something like that without it impacting you profoundly. I quit smoking after 15 years the day he spoke for the first time and the day he realized who I was I signed up for this surgery and never looked back!

Now 5 months on, I haven't smoked in 6 months, i'm 3 weeks post op and I've lost 20kg and my favorite uncle is home again, walking, talking and living a brand new life. I firmly believe being healthy & fit gave him the opportunity to survive the impossible, it has given him god knows how many more years with his 8 grandchildren. How can I not want that same opportunity for my children and future Grandkids.......

My choice was easy and there is no fear in a future that includes me being around to hold my beautiful grand babies :)
Back to top Go down
http://meltingawayinoz.blogspot.com/
kazlikesgreen
Part of the furniture
kazlikesgreen

Female
Number of posts : 1024
Registration date : 2010-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment?   Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment? EmptyTue 31 Aug 2010, 10:25 am

Sassy,

I felt that way even when they had the gas mask on me - i kept thinking nooooo I can do this the hard way!
Even after surgery for the first night I wanted to ask for a stomache replacement surgery!!
However now... I'd probably do it over again!!
Back to top Go down
http://karenjenniferful.blogspot.com
janelou29
Part of the furniture
janelou29

Female
Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment?   Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment? EmptyTue 31 Aug 2010, 9:23 am

Hi Sassymummy,

i made my first appointment, then cancelled through fear and then finally saw the Dr 18 months later, I came home from the first appointment and cried and cried, I said to my hubby, 'this is so drastic, cutting out my tummy' i was so scared and felt 'what am i doing to my body' but then i started thinking, what's the difference to having a breast reduction? That is removing part of your body for comfort and an easier life, and it's not reversable either.

But the more I worked through it, the more i felt I had no choice. I am now 2 weeks post op and my life has changed, eating is much more considered, and i wont be able to pig out like I used too, but hey life is not all about food, really that got me into this mess in the first place. i just couldn't face another humid sydney summer at 100kgs, it is simply horrible!

Roll on the weight loss!

Janelou xx
Back to top Go down
J
Part of the furniture
J

Male
Number of posts : 761
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment?   Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment? EmptyTue 31 Aug 2010, 9:19 am

Ill probably freak out a little bit before i have my surgery but once im in the hospital and its time i know deep down its for the best and in the end im only going to benifit for the rest of my life for having it done :)

Back to top Go down
SassyMummy
Part of the furniture
SassyMummy

Female
Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2010-08-21

PostSubject: Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment?   Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment? EmptyTue 31 Aug 2010, 9:13 am

I'm a worrier. I spent a lot of my life just stressing out about nothing. I worry about worrying too, lol, and so I've written this post.

I know that no matter how surgery goes, or how sure I am that I want/need the surgery, there's a chance I'll get to just before the surgery/just after the surgery and freak out about what I'm done/am going to do to my body. Yes, I hate change. Life as a fat girl is sucky, but it's familiar, and I think I find some comfort in that.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if it's something people have gone through?
Back to top Go down
http://randomchickrandomthoughts.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment?   Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment? Empty

Back to top Go down

Did you have an "OMG! What have I done/am I doing to myself?!" moment?
Page 1 of 1