Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
my3angels
my3angels

Female
Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2009-11-07

Sleeving Downside??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleeving Downside???   Sleeving Downside??? EmptyWed 07 Apr 2010, 5:10 am

DIDDO COS IM WORTH IT Sleeving Downside??? 217555 [left]
Back to top Go down
cos im worth it
Part of the furniture
cos im worth it

Female
Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Sleeving Downside???   Sleeving Downside??? EmptyWed 07 Apr 2010, 1:09 am

Well the downside for the sleeve for me, (& I'm not even sleeved yet!) is the amount of time I'm spending on this site!!!

I think I have read, & often re-read every post on here. It has prepared me in a way I could never have achieved on my own, in fact I would have "chickened out" by now.

To all of you, your words of wit & wisdom have been invaluable to me.

Love you all,
Back to top Go down
redrooter99
Part of the furniture
redrooter99

Female
Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Sleeving Downside???   Sleeving Downside??? EmptySat 27 Mar 2010, 12:17 pm

hey donski, dont throw them out ebay them and make soem money!
Back to top Go down
http://redrooter.blogspot.com/
Cuddly Kat
Part of the furniture
Cuddly Kat

Female
Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Sleeving Downside???   Sleeving Downside??? EmptyFri 26 Mar 2010, 11:07 pm

My son is 10, so he usually orders an adult meal and I order the "kids meal" and we swap.

I find it annoying that restaurants don't allow people with the sleeve and other WLS to order smaller portions / childrens meals.

I usually find a yummy entree but my family often orders platters of food and shares.
At first I was a bit self conscious about the small portion size but its better to not being able to eat a big meal than eat a huge meal and feel terrible (physically& emotionally) afterwards.

I hope that as more people have sleeves etc, that restaurants will start catering to our needs a bit better. I've read posts from people in the capital cities that are more understanding.

That's the only downside I know of! Yeah, I miss eating a big ol meal when I'm out & still feel a tad self conscious when I'm out with people who don't know I've had this done and they saÿ "is that all you're eating?" but I wouldn't trade my life now to be able to go back and eat a big meal again. cheers.
Back to top Go down
tarnz
Part of the furniture
tarnz

Female
Number of posts : 372
Registration date : 2009-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Sleeving Downside???   Sleeving Downside??? EmptyThu 25 Mar 2010, 9:26 am

not been able to justify any piece of clothing that costs more than $20.00 as its just not gona last long enough lol
Back to top Go down
ssjad
Part of the furniture
ssjad

Female
Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2010-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Sleeving Downside???   Sleeving Downside??? EmptyThu 25 Mar 2010, 9:04 am

Lol, Apple! I need a bit of that!!
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Sleeving Downside???   Sleeving Downside??? EmptyThu 25 Mar 2010, 4:15 am

I did discover a downside this month for the first time that time of the month I want to eat all the chocolate all the icecream all the chips all the junk in the world hit me on mass and all I could eat was a handful of chips and a few spoons of icecream hehehehe

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Donski

Female
Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Sleeving Downside???   Sleeving Downside??? EmptyWed 24 Mar 2010, 10:49 pm

Downsides;
- Having to throw out almost an entire wardrobe of clothes that now don't fit!
- Staying in an expensive hotel and not being able to make the most of the breakfast buffet!
Back to top Go down
lmboyd
Part of the furniture
lmboyd

Female
Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2009-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Sleeving Downside???   Sleeving Downside??? EmptyTue 23 Mar 2010, 11:07 am

Such a beautiful weekday in Adelaide today so with a few hours to spare hubby and I went to beachside Palais for lunch . Hubby ordered the burger special and I went halvies ,when I say halvies I mean I ate the filling from one half and I was full as a boot, he ate the rest including fries and my half of bun which he filled with fries, charming , lovely glass of fruity white to top it off just fantasic . Total cost $15.00 Im such a cheap date. Six months after surgery I can honestly say that we do this type of thing at least twice a week and have been doing it for months as I work from home and hubby works nights. Before surgery I can honestly say that this was my biggest problem, counter and cafe meals too regularly and too much food intake. I used to always feel guilty afterwards . I never feel guilty now because I never overeat and I feel just as satisfied as before and its sooo much cheaper , just enjoying life lol. ps. by the way I have never been quizzed or felt wierd about ordering one meal to share or just having an entre its just not a problem!
Back to top Go down
Countrygirl
Part of the furniture
Countrygirl

Female
Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2008-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Sleeving Downside???   Sleeving Downside??? EmptyMon 22 Mar 2010, 4:19 am

Another way to avoid being looked at weird when dining out with kids is you order and tell them that your daughter will just have some of yours as she doesn't eat much. lol

I used to do that before the op. My 14year old son could out eat me before the op so I used to get him to order me a kids meal and I would order his normal one and we would swap.
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Sleeving Downside???   Sleeving Downside??? EmptyMon 22 Mar 2010, 2:57 am

Countrygirl wrote:

reminded hubby that his wallet hadn't been cut in half so had the sirloin steak with mushroom gravy.

LOL Awesome!

I went out for dinner last night and I didn't order anything. The girl looked at me funny, but I ate off my husbands and daughters plates, and we still have left overs!
Back to top Go down
Peazles
Part of the furniture
Peazles

Female
Number of posts : 1011
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Sleeving Downside???   Sleeving Downside??? EmptyMon 22 Mar 2010, 2:24 am

That menu made me hungry Sleeving Downside??? 314562
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Sleeving Downside???   Sleeving Downside??? EmptyMon 22 Mar 2010, 2:17 am

How fantastic - I hope everyone just starting the journey reads this and realises that life goes on - just slightly differently!

Happy anniversary
Caz
Back to top Go down
Countrygirl
Part of the furniture
Countrygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeving Downside???   Sleeving Downside??? EmptyMon 22 Mar 2010, 2:05 am

Hubby and I went to a spa retreat on the weekend for our wedding aniversary. I can't believe how much I ate. I was sure I was going to put on weight as I felt so full (and burst). A run down

Friday night we arrived and had two glasses Riccadona bubbly.
Then tea at the nearby restaurant 200m away - we walked - fairly hilly
I had a glass of red wine (14% and boy did it knock my socks off) and main size salt and pepper squid - proper squid, not frozen. Unfortunately I didn't do my usual habit of only having one drink before my meal and subsequently when I started the meal I felt so ill. That probably coupled with the fact I was a little drunk by this stage meant I couldn't fit much in. I did eat at least a third of it tho and was very full.

Breakfast the next morning I had a cup of tea then two pancakes with maple syrup (they were more like crepe size)

Lunch was Spatchcock at a fancy restaurant. Was basically half a bird on some onion and vege something or other so I got away with having only the meat and because it had bones it didn't look like I had left much except the onion. I had a glass of wine and half a small roll.

Dinner I didn't fancy anything on the entree menu again and reminded hubby that his wallet hadn't been cut in half so had the sirloin steak with mushroom gravy. No wine tonight as I wanted to eat more. I had at least half the piece of steak about the size of my palm and all the mushrooms on top. Real mushrooms, the big ones chopped up with garlic. yummy.

Breakfast the next morning was a cup of tea followed by eggs benedict. I managed half the english muffin and 1 and a half poached eggs.

I was sure I was going to put on weight as if I had previously eaten those meals and eaten until I was as full as I was I would of surely put on weight. But not 1 gramme went on. Unbelieveable.

I just wanted you all to know how wonderful it was to be able to spend a weekend away, eat as I wished and not have to worry about putting the weight back on. There is nothing better than having control back in my life when it comes to food. The sleeve has been everything I had hoped it would be for me. Sometimes frustrating but sooo worth it. The early days can be hard and you question what you have done but it will get better eventually. We all heal differently as well so other may be sooner or later.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Sleeving Downside???   Sleeving Downside??? EmptySun 21 Mar 2010, 11:18 pm

Hi,
Another question was asked here so will answer that one as well.

I eat out all the time. I usually order an entree but if I don't find one I like and I want the main meal I order that. I eat what I can and thoroughly enjoy what I can fit in. If anyone comments and they rarely do I tell them that I have a tiny tummy. Mind you almost everyone in the world knows that I have had surgery so no biggie.

I love eating out, especially since the sleeve. I just enjoy the food more and never feel like I am missing out.

Hugs Gail
PS forgot to mention that my first time out was a business lunch at 6 days post op. Had soup.
Back to top Go down
darkstar
Part of the furniture
darkstar

Female
Number of posts : 1144
Registration date : 2010-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Sleeving Downside???   Sleeving Downside??? EmptySat 20 Mar 2010, 3:05 am

Thanks Suzi. Memory completely shot... I blame Mike Rann Kevin Rudd John Howard Geoff Kennett Opti for everything that goes wrong in my life, included lapses in memory and concentration!

Speaking of which: Oh poo! I have to remember to vote before that wedding!
Back to top Go down
fatnomore
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2009-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Sleeving Downside???   Sleeving Downside??? EmptySat 20 Mar 2010, 2:03 am

you mean this dark....

http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/general-chat-f9/questionaire-for-those-sleeved-t2571.htm
Back to top Go down
darkstar
Part of the furniture
darkstar

Female
Number of posts : 1144
Registration date : 2010-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Sleeving Downside???   Sleeving Downside??? EmptySat 20 Mar 2010, 1:43 am

I've lost the thread now, but when I first joined up there was an excellent thread on "Questionnaires for Sleevers." If someone else can remember where that was (I can't: Opti brain) and post the link here, that might help.

Lots of people contributed their post-op stories, good and bad, including the (rare) really awful post-op complication. I found that useful because it gave me a realistic picture. 99% great: 1% horror (about what you'd expect from war or surgery), so I felt reassured that I was getting a comprehensive and balanced view of the reward:risk ratio.

Best,

Dark
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Sleeving Downside???   Sleeving Downside??? EmptyFri 19 Mar 2010, 11:34 am

order an entre , or share a main with the other half. or order a main on my own if only i fancy it and just eat what iwant. going out to eat is not about how much you can stuff your face with it is about enjoying yourself. your wallet isnt reduced when your stomach was. so go out order what you fancy and judge good value on the good time you have.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Bibliophile
Bibliophile

Female
Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-02-09

PostSubject: Tips for dining out   Sleeving Downside??? EmptyFri 19 Mar 2010, 10:58 am

Several people stated that a downside of sleeving is eating in restaurants. I had dinner in a restaurant last night. I had an appetizer sized salad with goat cheese. I wasn't able to finish it, but I ate enough so the waitress didn't think that there was anything wrong with the salad. I am thinking that ordering a cup of soup, a small salad, or an appetizer is the way to go in restaurant. What do you do when you go to a restaurant?
Back to top Go down
Libby
Top Poster
Top Poster
Libby

Female
Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2009-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Sleeving Downside???   Sleeving Downside??? EmptyFri 19 Mar 2010, 8:27 am

The negatives for me have been getting my head around eating such small amounts. I haven't been out to dinner yet because I just don't want to 'deal' with not being able to eat it all. I know I just need to go out to dinner and get it over and done with.

I had a rough time the first month or so but am going in leaps and bounds now.

All in all I love the sleeve and that I will never be able to eat a whole pizza again or eat a packet of chocolate biscuits in one sitting or a whole family size packet of crisps etc.
Back to top Go down
JustcallmeJo
JustcallmeJo

Female
Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2009-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Sleeving Downside???   Sleeving Downside??? EmptyFri 19 Mar 2010, 6:24 am

as usual the wise ladies of the forum are all right.....well as far as I can see :o).
The only negative for me has been my own fault and was through eating too fast and getting reflux which resulted in foaming vomits. Realised the Dr gave me the medication for a reason and since I have been back on it have been fine. I suppose thats why those people are experts!!
...and here was me thinking I knew everything :o)
I'm getting more and more comfy with my sleeve each day and am soooooo glad that I took the plunge.
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Sleeving Downside???   Sleeving Downside??? EmptyFri 19 Mar 2010, 2:42 am

Countrygirl wrote:

If people have problems with the sleeve it would be helpful to post on this site as it gives a fairer view of the surgery. No one wants a bias opinion. I am not saying that there is but am hoping if people did have problems they would be able to post them for others to see.

I agree, if you want some honest downside stuff, have a look at my blog. You'll have to go back through it, because the oldest posts are at the end, but I have posted things from my hospital bed after the op, and also from the time I was home recovering from a pretty difficult recovery.
Back to top Go down
twoangels72
twoangels72

Female
Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2009-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Sleeving Downside???   Sleeving Downside??? EmptyFri 19 Mar 2010, 2:31 am

For me (and i'm only 2 months out) there are some great positives and negatives. So i'm just going to do a list. I wanted to start by saying that for me, the positives FAR outweight the negatives.
Positives:
- weight loss! (i'm down 15 kilos already and feel fantastic)
- not hungry! (never thought it would happen to me, but seriously don't feel like i'm constantly having to try and fill an empty pit that would never be satisified)
- for the first time in my life, I feel in control of my diet. Not my hunger / body being in control of me. I'm making great food choices and my whole family is benefiting from it
- my PCOS symptoms have already started to get milder and I've had my first period in months
Negatives:
- I had a pretty awful recovery in hospital. The nurses had never nursed a sleeve patient before and my drip was removed too early etc. I was treated more like a band patient - I put the account of it in the January sleevers page.
- I keep eating too fast and causing myself pain and discomfort. I'm getting better but usually only every other meal. I'm a slow learner ;-( and I really have to work on this.
- I haven't told many people, so when I eat out its a bit hard. I was at lunch for work yesterday and three separate waitresses asked me if there was a problem with my meal becasue I hardly touched it. Well, I had eaten three whole mouthfulls and thought I did pretty well!! And its not like you can just finish whas is on your plate to take everyones mind off it. You just can't eat it. So that was really awkward and a bit awful. I told the third girl I just didn't like it and that shut them up! Ooops.

For me, I wouldn't change a thing. Its still only early days but I'm closer to my goal than I have been in 10 years. So it can only get better. And this site is such an amazing support.

Goodluck with your decision!
Back to top Go down
Countrygirl
Part of the furniture
Countrygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeving Downside???   Sleeving Downside??? EmptyFri 19 Mar 2010, 2:15 am

No downside for me. I haven't vomited once although have felt sick twice through drinking too soon after eating. I can eat and drink what I want. There has only been 1 person since I started that has had negatives. I have been trying to get hold of her to see how she is going now. Am still interested in how things are working out for her a year on as things were not too good earlier. But for me that is a 99% happy/success rate.

If people have problems with the sleeve it would be helpful to post on this site as it gives a fairer view of the surgery. No one wants a bias opinion. I am not saying that there is but am hoping if people did have problems they would be able to post them for others to see.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sleeving Downside???   Sleeving Downside??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Sleeving Downside???
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next