Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve?????

Go down 
+8
JouJou
Nemo
Chongololo
hopeful22912
GiovannaGoodThighs
Juicyjo
Geminijo
emmybell83
12 posters
AuthorMessage
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve????? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve?????   Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve????? EmptyMon 14 Oct 2013, 5:20 am

Hi

check out youtube, there are people who have had the sleeve for years and they talk about it.

cheers
Back to top Go down
minniemouse

Female
Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2013-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve?????   Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve????? EmptyMon 14 Oct 2013, 4:11 am

I too asked my Dr about long term effects - Dr Steve Leibmann Royal North Shore Private in Sydney.
His response was the same as everyone else's however he did say the biggest "potential" risk is oesophageal cancer as they tend to use the "stretchy part" of your stomach (the bit they remove in sleeving) to create a new oesophagus. With that gone he said it can be more difficult but surgeons like himself have found a way to use a portion of your colon to replace the oesophagus. Again, what is the likelihood of contracting oesophageal cancer? Who knows? I sure didn't feel concerned about that information whatsoever, surely I'd get hit by a car or bus well before that happened!! As in everything there is always risks. This is a risk I'm certainly willing to take.
Back to top Go down
Balisunset
Part of the furniture
Balisunset

Female
Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2013-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve?????   Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve????? EmptyThu 05 Sep 2013, 4:27 am

From my research and what I was told by my surgeon was the By pass has been around for 40+ years.  The sleeve was developed as the first step in the By Pass op for people with a BMI of over 50.  This gave them a chance to lose weight before they go under the knife again for the final stage the By pass. What was observed by the doctors is that their patients were losing weight just with the sleeve.  There is about 10 years of data on it.

I purchased an ebook in iTunes called The Big Book on the Gastric Sleeve.  It cost me 10.00 as an ebook but you can buy on ebay or book stores for about 56.00.  It answers a lot of questions and explains things thoroughly.
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve?????   Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve????? EmptyWed 04 Sep 2013, 6:47 am

Hi JouJou,

My surgeon, Mr Michell, Epworth Hospital Melbourne, told me that the 5 -10yrs research seems to indicate a slight weight gain during this period. He said it seems likely that this levels out but it's too early to say. In older people he said this may be a benefit as a lot of people lose their appetite as they become elderly and have trouble maintaining weight. 

There doesn't seem to be any indication of increased risk of disease or cancer  that I can find in the medical research apart from if you got terrible, permanent acid reflux. I guess if you did get stomach cancer they would have to do a RNY By-pass. But it's like saying that I won't go outside today as I may get hit by a Jumbo jet! 

As you say this operation has been around for a long time but it's only in the last 5-10 yrs that they have started to keep reliable records about it.

cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
JouJou

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve?????   Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve????? EmptyWed 04 Sep 2013, 4:55 am

GiovannaGoodThighs wrote:
I asked my surgeon (Garrett Smith - North Shore Private in Sydney) about long-term research and whether we should be concerned that there wasn't any?

I found his response enlightening - he said that although there's not a lot of long-term (5 years plus) research on the Gastric Sleevectomy as a weight-loss surgery, they have been doing this surgery for 40-odd years as a treatment for other reasons - cancer etc. - and there's plenty of positive research available concerning quality of life, nutrition and physical outcomes. 

I found this enormously reassuring.
Thank you for this. I have been trying to discuss the possibility of removing my band and going for the sleeve with the mum and she won't have it. It's "dangerous" and there "no research, it hasn't been done for long enough".

To be honest, that was my concern too, but after hearing this it all makes sense - people have been having this type of surgery for years!

Although, on the flip side, what would happen if one had the sleeve and then got cancer?
Back to top Go down
Nemo
Nemo

Female
Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve?????   Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve????? EmptyThu 15 Aug 2013, 5:49 am

I was sleeved January 2009 (so not yet 5 years) and I can honestly say I have never had any problems.  I have however gained 5 kilos since reaching goal weight but I have maintained that weight for 2 years. 
Back to top Go down
Chongololo
Part of the furniture
Chongololo

Female
Number of posts : 479
Registration date : 2013-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve?????   Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve????? EmptyThu 15 Aug 2013, 5:01 am

My mum had the sleeve >5years ago. She has had no issues, still has restriction. Took a few years for her to no longer need reflux meds, though. She did put on a few kg after the initial loss, but then no more - and her eating habits aren't sensational, so as long as it doesn't stretch out even with an imperfect diet, the restriction stops the weight piling back on quickly.

She also found that a couple of weeks on opti in solidarity with me reallllly made her feel her sleeve again - even at that amount of time post-op :)

(it also helped her shift the 5kg she had put on since her lowest weight, too, incidentally) so as a tool it seems to be just fine long term. I am trying to get her to get her vitamins checked, though - her aftercare was ABYSMAL compared to mine, the surgeons seem to have much MUCH better follow-up and advice now.

now, off to read some abstracts :)
Back to top Go down
hopeful22912
hopeful22912

Female
Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2013-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve?????   Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve????? EmptyThu 15 Aug 2013, 4:41 am

My dad had this surgery over 55 years ago for stomach ulcers, ( he was never overweight)  and was healthy for most of his life. He loved his beer, steak and veg, Dad worked hard as a brickie didn't seem to change the quality of his life at all.
N
Back to top Go down
Juicyjo
Juicyjo

Female
Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2013-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve?????   Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve????? EmptyThu 15 Aug 2013, 12:39 am

this link is about band failure rates in the long term...
it's an interesting read...

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1381/096089206777822359
Back to top Go down
Juicyjo
Juicyjo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve?????   Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve????? EmptyThu 15 Aug 2013, 12:17 am

here's another...
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11695-007-9232-x
Back to top Go down
GiovannaGoodThighs
GiovannaGoodThighs

Female
Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2013-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve?????   Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve????? EmptyThu 15 Aug 2013, 12:14 am

I asked my surgeon (Garrett Smith - North Shore Private in Sydney) about long-term research and whether we should be concerned that there wasn't any?

I found his response enlightening - he said that although there's not a lot of long-term (5 years plus) research on the Gastric Sleevectomy as a weight-loss surgery, they have been doing this surgery for 40-odd years as a treatment for other reasons - cancer etc. - and there's plenty of positive research available concerning quality of life, nutrition and physical outcomes. 

I found this enormously reassuring.
Back to top Go down
Juicyjo
Juicyjo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve?????   Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve????? EmptyWed 14 Aug 2013, 11:51 pm

I just found this on google scholar...

http://mobile.journals.lww.com/annalsofsurgery/_layouts/oaks.journals.mobile/abstractviewer.aspx?year=2010&issue=08000&article=00016
Back to top Go down
Geminijo

Female
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Studies on sleeving   Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve????? EmptyMon 12 Aug 2013, 9:17 am

Hi Emmybell

I just found this when I googled sleeving studies as I'm investigating this myself and it was an interesting read -

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Endocrinology/Obesity/38112

It basically says that the band appears to only assist short term in weight loss and not to the same degree as other surgeries, although it does not compare and outright say any particular surgery is better than the other.  It also says that sleeving is preferable for people with BMI's in the 30 - 35 range if they have type 2 diabetes although the longer term of diabetes remission has not been documented though.

Interesting reading anyway and I will keep looking to see what else I can find.  I have three weeks until my surgery to have my band removed and I can't wait.....

I hope your surgery goes well.
Back to top Go down
emmybell83

Female
Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve?????   Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve????? EmptySun 07 Jul 2013, 9:18 am

Hi all,
I am suposed to be getting the sleeve next month - had the band taken out in  February after 13 months of hell. I am just wondering if anyone has heard of any studies or know of anyone who has had the sleeve done for longer then 5 years - i am worried about what problems may arise in years to come after having the sleeve done? Know one seems to know. Thank you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve?????   Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve????? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone know of any studies past 5 years for the sleeve?????
Page 1 of 1