13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bec7

Female
Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra Empty
PostSubject: Re: Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra   Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra EmptyThu 21 Jul 2011, 5:41 am

Hi Kirsty I hope your sleeving went well. I haven't been on the forum in a really long time. I had my band removed on 28 June. It is so nice to not have pain when eating any more. I have my post surgery appointment on 25 July. I haven't made up my mind yet about things and am going to see how I go in the next 6 months and then if I decide to go with the sleeve I will go and see Charlie.
Back to top Go down
Nutbags
Part of the furniture
Nutbags

Female
Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2011-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra   Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra EmptyFri 01 Jul 2011, 1:46 am

Goodluck Shelleybell. Hope all goes well for you today, will be interested in what Charlie's approach is with you ... are there any questions I should go pre-prepared with when I see him on the 11th?
Back to top Go down
Shelleybell

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-06-26

PostSubject: Wish me luck   Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra EmptyFri 01 Jul 2011, 1:35 am

Hi Kirsty, I'm off to see Charlie now and hope he will agree to do something similar to yours. I'm also having trouble with my band not being effective... unless of course I want to drink cold water then it works very fast in bringing it all back up again.

Your posts motivated me to talk to Charlie again, I was afraid to mention it before as I thought he would take it out altogether and that would be the worst thing for me.

Keep your fingers crossed for me that he will help with the sleeve or a bypass and not charge me full price all over again. My mother went from band to sleeve with Dr Layarni and he didn't charge her a red cent after the first surgery, the way she talks about Dr Layarni, I think he must be an angel.
Back to top Go down
Nutbags
Part of the furniture
Nutbags

Female

PostSubject: Re: Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra   Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra EmptySun 26 Jun 2011, 8:51 am

Hi Kirsty

Thanks for the reply. Thought that might be the case with Charlie, he is very cautious and will always take the safest option, which I suppose is why he is such a good surgeon.

I am really nervous about the idea of having my band off for four months. My 2nd band has never been successful, compared to my first band, but it does keep me within a "reasonable" range. I got my first band in 2004 and lost 70 kg over two years and managed to maintain for a further 12 months, then my band slipped and I put on about 15kg. Charlie put my second band in in 2008 but it was never great, I have exercised consistently and have had to diet but as usual dieting has never really worked for me (hence the band in the first place). I have been up and down with my weight but am about the same weight as I was when the second band went in. The idea of having to continue with this over the next 12 months while I wait for insurance to kick in is a bugger, let alone then having my band off for 3-4 months!!! scary. Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra 401252

Anyway, having done lots of reading on here, it looks like the sleeve has been successful for a alot of people, so hopefully that will be the case for me.

So your surgery date is fast approaching, hope all goes well for you and I look forward to following how your progress. Thanks again for your reply, the more I read on here the more I am sure I want to explore this option, so just need to get in and see Charlie.

Nutbags
Back to top Go down
kirsty
kirsty

Female
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2011-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra   Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra EmptySun 26 Jun 2011, 2:56 am

Hi Nutbags

Yep, you should definitely go and see Charlie and talk about having your band removed. It sounds like your having problems similar to what I had. I am SOOOO glad I got it taken out.

Charlie will ALWAYS make you wait between surgeries, generally between 4-6 months. The wait time is to allow your stomach to heal before you get a sleeve. The top area of the stomach, where the band is located, can get pretty messed up so the wait time allows things to settle down a bit.

The waiting between surgeries has been torture for me (I can't stop eating so my weight is climbing) but I understand the need for it. I also trust Charlie, so I was happy to do whatever he suggested.

Kirsty
Back to top Go down
Nutbags
Part of the furniture
Nutbags

Female

PostSubject: Re: Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra   Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra EmptySat 25 Jun 2011, 2:51 pm

Hi Kirsty

I am starting to contemplate having my band removed and getting a sleeve. I am on my second band and have had lots of trouble with it, I have never had good restriction and I get reflux consistently. Unfortunately, I have let my health insurance lapse, so now will have to wait the 12 month waiting period. I Need to book in and see dr mosse and get the low down from him. He did my second band and he also removed by gall bladder a few years ago. I think he is a great surgeon and trust his judgment.

I notice that you've had to wait between having your band removed and getting the sleeve, is this normal practice for Charlie or was there a specific reason for you?

thanks in anticipation
Back to top Go down
kirsty
kirsty

Female

PostSubject: Re: Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra   Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra EmptyFri 29 Apr 2011, 3:38 am

Just realised I didn't check back in after my review appt with Dr Mosse - oops!
Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra 833240

Anyway, Charlie was really pleased with how my incisions were healing and he said the surgery to remove my band went beautifully. He said that while he was removing my band he had a good look around at my stomach and was pleasantly surprised at the lack of scar tissue and adhesions. yay! The GREAT news is that he is happy to do a sleeve. Woo freaking hoo!!

So, we had a LOOONNNGGG talk about the sleeve and the process, recover, effects etc. In the end we both agreed that it was the best thing for me to do. So we've tentatively booked the surgery for 20 July 2011. Yay!

I have to go back and see him 1 month prior, just to check that everything is ok and it's still what I want to do. Who are we kidding, of course I'll still want to do it. I can't wait for my sleeve!!!

So it'll be almost 4 months to the day from having the band removed to having a sleeve done. 4 months seems like such a long time, and I'm VERY concerned about my weight blowing out between now and then. It's such a nice feeling being able to eat properly again. Not having that 'stuck' feeling....and I haven't had to throw up once!
Back to top Go down
Carol80

Female
Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2010-07-13

PostSubject: Re: Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra   Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra EmptySat 23 Apr 2011, 3:29 pm

Hi Bec and Kirsty,

Was just wandering through the forums and saw this thread - there aren't many Canberrans out there so wanted to say hello and wish you luck with your future sleeves!

I was sleeved last November by Dr Mosse and found him and his staff so attentive (the dieticians esp are fantastic!) and the weight loss has been moving along really well. I hope you both have the same experience! My goal is to lose my excess 70kg within 12-16 months of surgery, and I am over half way there 5 months post op - and I have to add the last few weeks I haven't been as disciplined with my healthy eating but I have been lucky weight is still steadily going down. Best of luck with your surgeries and recovery and feel free to msg/PM with any q's.

Carol
Back to top Go down
kirsty
kirsty

Female

PostSubject: Re: Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra   Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra EmptyWed 06 Apr 2011, 11:35 pm

Hi Bec

Sorry for my slow reply, I've been trying to find a copy of my quote from the anaethetist to answer your question.

I wasn't able to find it, but then yesterday the bill arrived! (good timing hey!)

The total amount was $640, of which I'll get a couple of hundred back through Medicare and Private Health. The length of my surgery was 90 minutes which I think is pretty standard for a band removal. Of course the longer the surgery, the more it costs!

Hope this helps!

Also, I have my first post-surgery appointment with Charlie in the morning which I'm really excited about. And I'm pretty keen to book in a date for my sleeve!!! I'll let you know how i go!

Kirsty
Back to top Go down
Bec7

Female

PostSubject: Re: Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra   Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra EmptyMon 04 Apr 2011, 1:05 am

Hi Kirsty

It good to hear things are going well and that you were back at work quickly. I am usually ok with anasthetics. I had a knee op 18 months ago and recovered fairly quickly from the anasthetic.

I was wondering what the anethasit (however you spell) fee was? I know my hospital excess is $200 and was wondering what out of pocket total would be to have the band removed.

Bec
Back to top Go down
kirsty
kirsty

Female

PostSubject: Re: Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra   Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra EmptySun 03 Apr 2011, 11:32 am

Hi Bec

I had the band removed on a Wednesday and i was back to work the following Monday. I probably could have done with a few extra days off (I find the general anasthetic knocks me around a bit), but I'd just started a new job so i was pretty keen to get back to work.

When i get my sleeve done, I'm planning to take two weeks off. It'll give me enough time to start healing and also cope with the various stages of food intake after.....i.e. fluids, then mushies etc. Preparing the right food can be tricky when you're at work - much easier when you're at home!

After my band removal I was back onto a normal diet 2 days post op, so going back to work was easy from that perspective.

Kirsty
Back to top Go down
Bec7

Female

PostSubject: Re: Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra   Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra EmptyThu 31 Mar 2011, 5:23 am

Now I have made the decision I just want the thing out. 12 May is so far away.

Thats good that you went straight onto mush.

How much time did you take off work?
Back to top Go down
kirsty
kirsty

Female

PostSubject: Re: Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra   Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra EmptyThu 31 Mar 2011, 5:10 am

I was only in hopstial overnight, and Charlie said I could have gone home the same day as the surgery if I felt ok. As it was I had a bit of nausea (very normal for me post op) so I stayed overnight to be safe. The pain was comparable to when I had the band inserted, but the best thing was that I was straight onto a mushy type diet, no clear fluids for me!

I believer Charlie operates solely at Calvary Private now. So that's where I was. The nurses on the private ward are fantastic - nothing is too much trouble for them.

Good on you for getting your band out - you wont regret it. For the first time in ages I'm 'enjoying' eating again. I'm still trying to keep my portions small and make good choices, but being able to comfortably eat food is an awesome feeling.

Kirsty
Back to top Go down
Bec7

Female

PostSubject: Re: Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra   Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra EmptyTue 29 Mar 2011, 1:13 pm

Hi Kirsty

That is great news. I have an appointment with Charlie on 12 May to discuss my band removal.

I have had the band for 5 years and cannot even remember what it is like to eat pain free and as you put it that stuck feeling. It will be a plesant change.

His long were you in hospital for? Were you at John James?
Back to top Go down
Ozzieloz
Part of the furniture
Ozzieloz

Female
Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra   Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra EmptyTue 29 Mar 2011, 8:18 am

Hi Kirsty
Congratulations on ridding yourself of the band - and you will love the sleeve! I love my sleeve, having had it put in 3 months after the removal of the band which I had in for almost 10 years, of which 9 were constant trouble and struggle, and weight loss and gain, and numerous surgeries etc.

Soooo, look after yourself, recover well, and stay used to small meals - and enjoy the freedom of eating regular food for a while. Now I am 5 months post sleeve op, I can enjoy any food, am losing weight, although very slowly now, but feel great, have lost 2 dress sizes, off most medications, blood sugars normal, blood pressure normal, and loving life.

So glad for your understanding doc too - keep hold of him!

All the very best for your new life.
Ozzieloz
Back to top Go down
kirsty
kirsty

Female

PostSubject: Re: Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra   Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra EmptyTue 29 Mar 2011, 7:22 am

Hi all

Well I am now 6 days post op after having my band removed. Yay!

I had the band out last Wednesday (23 march) and I couldn't be happier. It is so nice being able to eat food and not have that god awful 'stuck' feeling! Or worse, having to run to the bathroom to bring food back up!

I am feeling really good and my wounds are healing nicely.

Charlie came and saw me in recovery after the surgery and said that everything went really well. He said my stomach is in good shape and there isn't too much scar tissue from the band. I asked if that means I can get a sleeve, and he said, Yup you sure can! I think I actually told him I love him!!
Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra 755120

He just laughed....I'm sure he gets it all the time!

So I'm booked in for a follow-up appt with him on 8 April to discuss the sleeve. He said about a 4 month wait between surgeries to give my stomach time to heal.

As for costs for the sleeve, Charlie said he would do my sleeve as NO GAP. So only hospital admission fee and anathetist fees again. I know that Charlie doesn't do that for everyone, he judges each case on it's merits. In my situation I've had loads of trouble with the band and have been in constant contact with him for two years. I offered to pay for the sleeve, but he said it wasn't necessary - he wants to help me with my weight loss journey and as the first attempt didn't work, we'll try again.

Of course, if you don't ask you don't know! So my advice to anyone wanting to go from band to sleeve with Charlie Mosse, is to ask the question. Who knows, you might be lucky like me and not have to pay anything.

So I'm a very happy girl right now. Loving life, and enjoying the food I'm eating without fear of it getting stuck! I am absolutely TERRIFIED of putting on weight over the next 4 months, but so far things are going in the right direction.

Kirsty
Back to top Go down
Lillipilli

Female
Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra   Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra EmptySat 26 Mar 2011, 10:53 am

I can answer that as Charles sleeved me on the 2 nd of March.

$6000 surgeons fee
$12,100 hospital fee
$1700 anaethaesist

I'm feeling really good, and the whole sleeve thing hasn't been too bad at all.

Charles also sleeved my aunty a few years ago, and she's really happy and has lost a heap of weight.
Back to top Go down
mai

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra   Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra EmptyMon 21 Mar 2011, 8:34 am

I am sick of reflux and regurgitation-does any one on here have a sleeve replacing band done by Dolan at Joondalup WA.
Back to top Go down
Bec7

Female

PostSubject: Re: Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra   Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra EmptySun 20 Mar 2011, 8:00 pm

Good Luck Kirsty. Good to hear there will be no gap. I now need to get of my butt and see Charlie about having my band removed. Did he give an indication on the cost of a sleeve?
Back to top Go down
longwaytogo
longwaytogo

Female
Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2011-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra   Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra EmptyMon 28 Feb 2011, 11:30 am

Good Job Kirsty, you won't be sorry! I am 1 week post op tomorrow from band to sleeve. You know what i have loved about the last week the most - none of the god awful chest pain when food gets stuck and all the other things that go along with the band!!!
Good luck with your journey and I hope you get everything you are looking for!!
Emma
Back to top Go down
kirsty
kirsty

Female

PostSubject: Re: Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra   Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra EmptyMon 28 Feb 2011, 4:10 am

Hi all

I had my appt with Charlie Mosse last Friday (got pushed back by a week due to emergency surgery or something).

Charlie was really understanding of my situation and appreciated the struggles I've had since having the band. We had a really good talk about things and he's agreed to take the band out - YAY!!! I'm booked in for surgery on 23 March which I'm very excited about.

In terms of then getting a sleeve, he said it'll all depend what my stomach is like once he takes the band out. He won't give me an answer one way or the other until after the surgery on the 23rd. He said he needs to have a good look around and see how much scar tissue there is. If there's too much scar tissue he said he'll be reluctant to do a sleeve as the risk of a leak is much higher. But he was really good with his explanations and told me that he'll do whatever he can to help me, but he won't risk my life (which is exactly what you want to hear from your surgeon I reckon!!!)

So I'm feeling really good about things. If I am able to get a sleeve, Charlie said it'd be at least a 4 month wait after getting the band out. He said he likes to give the stomach a good amount of time to recover before he goes prodding around again.

The great news is that the surgery to have the band removed will be NO GAP. Which means that I only have to pay the admission fee set by my health fund, and also pay for the anaethetist. Such a relief.

So I finally feel like things are moving in the right direction. I'm a very happy camper now.

Kirsty
Back to top Go down
Ozzieloz
Part of the furniture
Ozzieloz

Female
Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra   Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra EmptyTue 15 Feb 2011, 10:21 am

Hi Aquarius
I know exactly how you feel because I have been thinking the same thing myself for a few weeks - had a band for years, had it removed and then sleeved in Oct 2010. Hit a plateau at the same weight loss as when I first had the band, but finally have started to shift it, albeit slowly.

However, as you noted, without the sleeve where would be? So, let's just appreciate the small wins, and encourage each other to manage life and food especially, with our sleeve.
Any good tips to nudge us when platuea hits is a great help, and just being able to blurt out about it sure helps me.
I still feel sooooo much better now that 4 months ago, and I know there's so much more I can do now.

Best wishes
Loz
Back to top Go down
shelly25
Top Poster
Top Poster
shelly25

Female
Number of posts : 1776
Registration date : 2009-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra   Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra EmptyMon 14 Feb 2011, 11:40 pm

I really feel for you, i was intially going to have a band but when i went to the seminar and heard about the sleeve i changed my mind.I feel sad for the people who get the band then discover the sleeve afterwards or change thier mind because the band has been a let down.
i hope your surgeon will do a sleeve for you, youve achieved so much already and deserve to not have the hassle of the band!!
goodluck with it all
shelly
Back to top Go down
Bec7

Female

PostSubject: Re: Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra   Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra EmptyMon 14 Feb 2011, 11:05 am

Hi Kirsty

I had my band put in by Charlie Mosse about 5 1/2 years ago. All started well and I lost 20kg. Then I started to get bad reflux after a fill and when I went back they removed more fill than they put in. This happened every time I got a fill so I was going backwards. It has probably been about 2 years since I have even gone back to the surgery and I have put back on 12kg of what I lost.

I also have days where I can eat things and the next day I cant. I am unable to eat until I have been up for a few hours in the morning.

I would be interested to know what Charlie says about your band removal and how much it costs as I would like to get mine removed. I have only just started looking into the sleeve.

Cheers
Bec
Back to top Go down
lilac
Part of the furniture
lilac

Female
Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2010-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra   Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra EmptyFri 11 Feb 2011, 10:38 am

I had the band in Dec 09 and had it removed Oct 10. I then had a sleeve performed Jan 2010. I've hit a 10kg plateau already - same as I did with the band.

I don't think the band or sleeve are great solutions to obesity - the individual's metabolism is the thing that governs weight loss, not calories alone. Some of us after weight loss surgery eat around 700 calories a day and still cannot lose weight.

It's disappointing for a good percentage of us as we feel like 'failures' when in fact it's our own bodies that sabotage us. Until a new 'metabolism boosting' pill is discovered, many of us will remain overweight despite surgeries.

Having said that however, I would be a lot fatter now if I hadn't had surgery - so I'm still glad I had it done!

Aquarius
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra   Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra Empty

Back to top Go down

Band for 2 years, now want sleeve - Canberra
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next