AuthorMessage
Oki Doki Joy
Part of the furniture
Oki Doki Joy

Female
Number of posts : 654
Registration date : 2010-09-04

When to start exercising? Empty
PostSubject: Re: When to start exercising?   When to start exercising? EmptySat 01 Jan 2011, 11:28 pm

Does anyone remember their exercise timelines (what they did and approx when) please? Eg 1 week to walk slow, 6 weeks to .. Docs info seems very general - what is light exercise and nothing on fullon exercise.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/the-diary-f8/the-big-joyful-
kazlikesgreen
Part of the furniture
kazlikesgreen

Female
Number of posts : 1024
Registration date : 2010-05-13

PostSubject: Re: When to start exercising?   When to start exercising? EmptyFri 27 Aug 2010, 2:34 pm

hey WG
I was told after a week i could start light excercise which i would presume to be walking but im also intrigued - I was heavily into the gym before the op (and the food hence the gym didn't work!) and im missing it!
Back to top Go down
http://karenjenniferful.blogspot.com
whitegold10
whitegold10

Female
Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2010-04-15

PostSubject: How long until you started exercise?   When to start exercising? EmptyWed 25 Aug 2010, 6:44 am

Hey everyone,
I am just wondering how long it was until you started back into an exercise routine. It has been nearly a month for me and I have my appointment with the surgeon next week so will be able to confim it with him then, but currently I have been walking 3-5 times a week slowly upping the pace. The thing is I am really itching to get back into a routine that includes yoga and gym classes!!

Does anyone do yoga? And if so, how long was it until you felt fine to do a yoga class?
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: When to start exercising?   When to start exercising? EmptySat 12 Jun 2010, 10:04 am

I would check with your surgeon when it comes to netball or any sport for that matter. Unlike a gym where all the exercies you do are controled and you can feel the pull or the strain as you do them and stop netball and other sports are go go and more go and you are reaching and diving and running and coming to sudden stops and you would cause a serious injury without having the chance to feel that ooooooo better stop before going to far warning you would get at the gym.

I am seeing like our Jen and I know she had an open surgery but a few hernias popping up down the track after surgery and I get a little concerned tho I have NEVER heard any medical back up that there is any link at all to having weight loss surgery and a hernia happening later on down the track. It just seems a few are popping up.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
shelly25
Top Poster
Top Poster
shelly25

Female
Number of posts : 1776
Registration date : 2009-11-21

PostSubject: Re: When to start exercising?   When to start exercising? EmptySat 12 Jun 2010, 9:12 am

My docs instructions were walking only until 6 weeks no weights till after 6 weeks.
With netball i guess it depends on how you feel in yourself.I was a bit hesitant to do much as i thought ive spent alot of money i dont want to stuff anything up!!
Back to top Go down
miss
Part of the furniture
miss

Female
Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2009-12-16

PostSubject: Re: When to start exercising?   When to start exercising? EmptyFri 11 Jun 2010, 2:59 pm

Since the Dr approved the gym, I say it would be ok to trial netball, maybe tell your team leader to look for a signal from you to mean that you want to be replaced by another player? Just thinking that you may feel a little uncomfortable reaching for the ball but I cant see why you cant trial.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=708312072
vinnie82
vinnie82

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: When to start exercising?   When to start exercising? EmptyFri 11 Jun 2010, 8:48 am

hi i want to go back to netball after 5 weeks of surgery, would that be ok? i know the doc approved back to the gym after the 4th week but want to hear whoever has experience in this kind of thing.
Back to top Go down
miss
Part of the furniture
miss

Female

PostSubject: ONLY WHEN YOU GET THE OK FROM YOUR DR.   When to start exercising? EmptyThu 20 May 2010, 11:39 am

miss wrote:
Have just really started exercising as it has been exactly 1 month since my op (am not lifting weights, just cardiovascular exercising), I thought I would share a good workout that I have off a DVD and I thought that it was really good; Get the OK from your dr first!!! please

1.Bent over one arm row- Lifting a 2 Liter of drink, place your knee on the coffee table that is opposite to the hand that the drink is in and of course the arm that you are not using, to support your weight. Make sure the back is straight and your lifting the weight to 90 degrees. Should feel a little pain in the upper back, towards the shoulder. Then reverse sides.

2.Shoulder press- Lift the weights you are using upwards. Straight up from the shoulder. Make sure the body is nice and straight.

3.Bicep Curls- “optional” At full stretch of the arm, curl the arm upwards with the weight in your hand.

4.Lying rotator cuff exercise- Lay down, straight on your side, placing the top leg with a bent in the knee. DO NOT NEED A HEAVY WEIGHT! Bend the arm and lift a can from the elbow.

5.Bench or chair dips- Sitting with the weight on your hands, glide your bottom off the table, and bend towards the floor and then push into the heal of your hands to the straight position.

6.Lunges- “optional” Do 1 set of lunges without holding weights and then progress for the other 2 sets, doing 12 each set. Making sure your front knee doesnt go over your front foot. Then swap each set. 3 sets of 12 each side.

7.“optional” Lie on back flatten the spine, with legs bent a little lower the legs but dont touch the floor.

8.Hypertension lifts “optional” Lie on a table, and lift your legs, working the bottom.

If its your first time finish off with stretching, if you feel like doing more, go back and repeat a few of these or do some cardiovascular things like fast walking, crosstraining, cycle, swimming, ect ect. This of course will help you get fitter, fight all those terrible flu's and colds and make your body look leaner and much stronger.
STRETCHING

Cat pose
This pose stretches the back muscles and helps the spine to lengthen and remain flexible. It gently tones the abdominal muscles and is beneficial for our digestion.

Pelvic tilt
Lie on back, knees bent, feet flat on floor. Tighten buttocks and abdomen, flattening small of back against the floor. Hold for a count of five. Slowly relax. Repeat five - fifteen times.

Knee to Chest

Lie on back, knees bent, feet flat on floor. Grasp left leg behind the knee/back of thigh and pull knee towards left shoulder. Hold for a count of five. Switch sides. Repeat 5 times.

Piriformis Stretch

Sit on chair
Place your left ankle over your right leg, just above the knee and lean forward.
Hold for 30 seconds. Repeat on other side.

Basic Twist

Lie on back, arms stretched out to the sides.
Bend knees and bring knees up close to your chest
Take a deep breath
Exhale as you slowly lower knees (keep knees together) to floor to the right or as close to the floor as is comfortable.
Pause.
Inhale as you slowly return your knees to chest.
Exhale as you slowly lower knees to left side
Inhale as you return your knees to chest.
Repeat about 5 times.

Shoulder, Back, Arms Stretch:

Stand with knees slightly bent. Interlace fingers, extend arms forward at shoulder level. Turn palms out and reach your arms further until you feel a stretch. Hold 10 - 20 seconds. Repeat.

Sides, Waist Stretch:

Stand with knees slightly flexed. (Can also be done sitting down) Place your right hand behind your head. Grab your right elbow with your left hand and pull gently. Bend slowly to the left until you feel a gentle stretch. Hold 10 - 20 seconds. Switch sides. Repeat.

Lower back/core stabilisation pain causes you to not exercise but it is more to do with the technic or the fact that you are lacking strength in that area. If you strengthen the muscles around the core, it would improve sooo much. Talking about strength here.
Back to top Go down
miss
Part of the furniture
miss

Female

PostSubject: Re: When to start exercising?   When to start exercising? EmptyWed 05 May 2010, 9:03 am

Yea, I thought the same Gail, you must listen to your body. 2 weeks after my doctor did the surgery, I had to do something, so I walked on my treadmill. I never walked fast, it was more like a stroll. Not sure how fast, I would think it was only 6. I never felt any pain so I will continue to do this until I see the doc in 6 more days. I felt really good after this effort!
Back to top Go down
telly78

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-04-08

PostSubject: Re: When to start exercising?   When to start exercising? EmptySat 17 Apr 2010, 10:45 am

Thanks everyone for your great adice. I am nearly 4 weeks post op so I will just have to wait a few more weeks before I recommence excercising.

Thank you for your replies.
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: When to start exercising?   When to start exercising? EmptySat 17 Apr 2010, 4:38 am

I was given the same advice as Shelly, walking only till 6 weeks.
After 6 weeks I was given the ok to do exercise, but told not to do strenuous abdominal work.
I joined Curves just over a week ago and am finding it really good.

Cheers - Carrie
Back to top Go down
shelly25
Top Poster
Top Poster
shelly25

Female
Number of posts : 1776
Registration date : 2009-11-21

PostSubject: Re: When to start exercising?   When to start exercising? EmptySat 17 Apr 2010, 2:34 am

I saw my dr at 3 weeks and he said walking only,no weights etc till after 6 weeks
Back to top Go down
Gail
Part of the furniture
Gail

Female
Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: When to start exercising?   When to start exercising? EmptyThu 15 Apr 2010, 12:50 pm

Hi Telly

I waited 6 weeks before going to back to my training group, but even then took it easy for a couple more weeks. But I did start gentle walking about a week after I was released from hospital. Actually my trainer was running a weightloss focus group which just happened to start the Friday after my op. I just did a gentle stroll around the cones whilst the others all did the beep test!

I'd say listen to your body, it will tell you if you've pushed it too soon.

But congrats on the 100 squats! I've just got back from a boxing session which I love as its great for stress relief.

Cheers
Gail
Back to top Go down
telly78

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-04-08

PostSubject: Re: When to start exercising?   When to start exercising? EmptyThu 15 Apr 2010, 9:43 am

Hi Everyone,
I was just wondering if anybody could tell me when they started strenous excersice? I have found it hard to get a straight answer from my Dr. The nurse told me to weight two months before playing netball. I did the wrong thing today by going to a fit camp run by Nathan Mills at my workplace. I thought that if I told him that most of the activities could be modified however Ithis wasn't the case. It was so awkward as I havn't told anyone at work. I did WAY MORE then I should of. I signed up for fit camp way before my surgery and it started this week. I'm definatly not going next week. I'm going to go back to taking it easy.

However on a positive he was quite inspirational. I did 100 squats in less than 3 minutes. WHO KNEW that was even possible. HEHEHE.
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female
Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: When to start exercising?   When to start exercising? EmptyFri 03 Oct 2008, 3:42 am

I am 3 and 1/2 weeks post op and my goal is to be on my recumbent bike doing a very lazy pedal by the end of this week. But I mean a lazy pedal... power walk, marathon... that is for the skinny ones amongst us. I ride my bike to get warm and to push out the gas as much as I do for the calories burnt. Also hoping it might help with fluid retention although that is a quite a bit more questionable.
Back to top Go down
bigbugger71
bigbugger71

Female
Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-06-22

PostSubject: Re: When to start exercising?   When to start exercising? EmptySat 13 Sep 2008, 7:56 pm

I was really into my power walking last year and the leader of the group wont have me back until I'm 3 months post op! she is a nurse and her husband is a surgeon, so I guess she should know what she is talking about! I feel so well and today I am 7 weeks post op! What do you all think? Last year I did a half marathon in 3 hours and I weighed a lot more than I do now!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Liquefied_stars
Part of the furniture
Liquefied_stars

Female
Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: When to start exercising?   When to start exercising? EmptySat 13 Sep 2008, 3:57 pm

Rosie how fit are you? :[img]http://sm

Are you going to want to go on a super power walk asap?

If you prefer a gentle stroll for the first few days I would go along with that?

Cinni
Back to top Go down
MizRosen
MizRosen

Female
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: When to start exercising?   When to start exercising? EmptyFri 12 Sep 2008, 12:27 pm

Hmm, I had my post op appt on Wednesday and completely forgot to ask him about exercise. He said he was very happy with progress but check surgery sites or anything.

I guess I'll hold off on the stomach crunches for a while longer then - bugger (NOT!!!) When to start exercising? 2329

And will wait to swim for a couple more weeks - I am not sure that Bunbury is ready for me in Bathers just yet anyway...

Looks like its walking! Come on Dally girls - lets get movin!!!

Rosie
Back to top Go down
Xantia
Xantia

Female
Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-05-31

PostSubject: Re: When to start exercising?   When to start exercising? EmptyFri 12 Sep 2008, 2:59 am

Hi Rosie

My doc said no to swimming in the first few (up to 4) weeks due to the chances of infection in the surgery sites. He advised some gentle walking asap as it will help with recovery.

cheers
Xan
Back to top Go down
http://xantias-jouney.piczo.com
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: When to start exercising?   When to start exercising? EmptyFri 12 Sep 2008, 12:28 am

Hi Rosie,

I'd wait until at least your post op appointment with your surgeon and if he thinks you are ready he will let you know.

I asked this question of my surgeon in hospital and he said he would show me some "gentle" exercises at my next appointment with him.

I certainly wouldn't recommend stomach exercises in the early weeks.

steph
Back to top Go down
MizRosen
MizRosen

Female
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Exercise - How soon after Op?   When to start exercising? EmptyThu 11 Sep 2008, 2:30 pm

I am wondering everyone,

How soon after the op do you think you'd have to wait til you started swimming or doing stomach exercises?

In all honesty, I am not planning on running out today (or even tomorrow) and start doing sit ups, but I'm entertaining the possibility of hiring a rowing machine...actually, no I'm not. I did that before with GRAND intentions, and I used it [ONCE!!! LoL..

I reckon I could handle swimming sometime soon though...

Rosie
xx
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: When to start exercising?   When to start exercising? EmptySat 26 Jul 2008, 2:26 am

Hi FaddingAway,

He was going to show me excercises I could do at home. I don't have time for the gym.

steph :flower:
Back to top Go down
FaddingAway
Part of the furniture
FaddingAway

Female
Number of posts : 579

PostSubject: Re: When to start exercising?   When to start exercising? EmptyFri 25 Jul 2008, 7:02 pm

walking is exercise , so youhave started to exercise already.
I started at curves at week 5 , I didn't do some of the machines but still tried my bestest. I felt like I had so much energy.
If you don't feel like the gym is for you try to walk 5kms everyday. then just better your time . that is increasing your exercise.
I wouldn't be doing weights this early you should wait a few months before you start to do them
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: When to start exercising?   When to start exercising? EmptyFri 25 Jul 2008, 10:08 am

Hi Angelprana,

I'm a week ahead of you and only walking so far. My surgeon said he'd show me some excercises at my post op appointment but we both forgot about it and now I don't see him for another 3 weeks so will check again then.

steph :flower:
Back to top Go down
jacquilove77

Female
Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-19

PostSubject: Re: When to start exercising?   When to start exercising? EmptyFri 25 Jul 2008, 9:22 am

i saw my surgeon 10 days after the surgery. he said "you're ready to start exercising".
i thought that was a bit of a broad statement. at the moment i am only walking.

just prior to the op i was doing pump and combat classes - but i would not think about doing those for another couple of weeks still. the bending and lifting of weights in pump would still be a bit much for my tender tum.

my healing has been very quick and painless though, so maybe he thought i would just use my common sense and build up to it, which is what i'm going to do. as soon as i feel ready to go to the next step i will.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When to start exercising?   When to start exercising? Empty

Back to top Go down

When to start exercising?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next