11 posters
AuthorMessage
bella3
bella3

Female
Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Newbie - South Australia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie - South Australia   Newbie - South Australia EmptyFri 06 Nov 2009, 6:35 am

Uber... lol i love that word, i say it all the time

I am really hoping this will work for me so i can enjoy the rest of 20's without always being the fat one :P

Thanks for the info. I seriously cannot wait. Im going to the gym tonight and doing a les mills body pump class tonight lol

x x
Back to top Go down
CheekyBugger
Part of the furniture
CheekyBugger

Male
Number of posts : 561
Registration date : 2009-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - South Australia   Newbie - South Australia EmptyFri 06 Nov 2009, 4:38 am

Hi Bella,
With PATS I got most of the costs back as a cheque - I have just lodged another for the most recent trip (surgery) I think from memory I got about $160 last time.
The cost for Michael France is $2000 - this is $1700 for him and $300 for Fiona. the price went up at the end of August, if the person was originally seen before then they would have paid the $1600. I paid $2000 as I saw him on Sept 4 for my first appt.

January will come round uber fast!
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - South Australia   Newbie - South Australia EmptyThu 05 Nov 2009, 8:38 pm

Hello Bella3

Are you able to book your theatre date before you see the surgeon?
I did, as the biggest wait for me is getting to see the surgeon.

I will be getting sleeved middle of December, also can't wait.
It will cost me close to $6000 all up, but I don't care how much it costs, its my health.

I started my journey back in July, have done Lite n Easy for 3 months, and on Monday I started Kate Morgan. The shakes are great. I bought 3 of everything to see how they all tasted.

Good luck with Kate and all your appointments.

Newbie - South Australia 217555
Back to top Go down
bella3
bella3

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - South Australia   Newbie - South Australia EmptyThu 05 Nov 2009, 1:49 pm

Thanks everyone i had to move my appointment to next week! so my appointment with Dr. Nancarrow is on Wednesday and I see Michael on Thursday. I went to my GP today and got all my PATS forms filled in. CB i know your from Pt Lincoln. Did you get much back on travel? also I got quoted $2000 for the surgery. Is that what you paid? Ive heard some people got sleeved for $1600 only in september? not too big of a difference anyways, its still worth it :)

I spoke to Michaels receptionist and she has said there are still a few theatre spots open for January so it may even be as soon as then hopefully

I have started Kate Morgan and joined a Gym recently as well. Though i might just kick start my weight loss now instead of just waiting around over the next couple of months. Every Kg counts :)

I am very nervous and excited at the same time i cant wait! ill keep you all posted.

mermaid x x x
Back to top Go down
CheekyBugger
Part of the furniture
CheekyBugger

Male
Number of posts : 561
Registration date : 2009-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - South Australia   Newbie - South Australia EmptyThu 05 Nov 2009, 10:47 am

Hi Bella,

Having just had the surgery with Michael France a week and a bit ago I can defintely tell you, you are making a great choice by having him as your surgeon. I havent heard of a surgeon with such a great bedside manner other then Michael.

Best of luck with your appointments, please keep us updated and if you any questions let one of us know.......
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - South Australia   Newbie - South Australia EmptyThu 05 Nov 2009, 7:49 am

Hi bella3,
Congratulations on your decision and you wont be disappointed with Michael. He is a wonderful doctor and very caring.
I was sleeved by him 16 months ago and reached my goal weight at the beginning of the year. I have since lost a few more kilo's but have been fairly steady for the last few months.
'Won't go into the costs with you because I know it has gone up quite a few hundred dollars since I had my surgery but he is well worth it and the anaethetists he uses are lovely also.
As far as telling other people. My family don't even know I have had the surgery. There are 5 people in my life who know about it and everyone else thinks I just had hiatus hernia surgery which I did have at the same time.

steph
Back to top Go down
Amielou81
Amielou81

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - South Australia   Newbie - South Australia EmptyWed 04 Nov 2009, 11:12 am

Hi there, I was sleeved by dr france on the 27th Aug this year....best thing EVER!!!!!
He is a gentleman and a wonderful Dr, if you dont want to tell people he can help explain to you a cover story bout having a Hiatus Hernia.....the ops are almost identical as is the recovery time and odd eating habits! my husband did this as he didnt want his workmates to know.....
Me..... Ive told everyone and if they dont like it or think Im "cheating" I say F*@K THEM!!!!!
They dont understand what a huge life decission this is!!!!!!
How are you doing now????? Have you had your op???? Im new to this!!!
Newbie - South Australia 355206
Back to top Go down
bushgirl
Part of the furniture
bushgirl

Female
Number of posts : 523
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - South Australia   Newbie - South Australia EmptyWed 30 Sep 2009, 7:08 am

every time I shower I put a glob of lotion onto my tummy (and legs and arms and torso) and this helps soften the scars, mine are 5 1/2 months old and lovely and soft, and pale pink :) happy about that!
Back to top Go down
jane1975
Part of the furniture
jane1975

Female
Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2009-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - South Australia   Newbie - South Australia EmptyWed 30 Sep 2009, 5:13 am

Hi Bella,

I am 3 weeks post op today and didnt have a prob telling any one that I had the op... Beleive me the amount of times I have heard people say i have taken the easy way out! Funny thing is that they dont realise what i have had to change to be able to loose this weight... Might be ok for them to scoff down a pizza or a hamburger but us "sleeveys" have to ensure we do everything right otherwise we have problems. The way I look at it is that I have a second chance of a long healthy life and figure im going to live a rip old age whilst they are frail old cotes! we are going to look gr8 in our 80's! I reckon that they are jealous cause we get the good life!

We work at looking good! hang in there you will do gr8

jane Newbie - South Australia 369315
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - South Australia   Newbie - South Australia EmptyWed 30 Sep 2009, 4:29 am

Hi Bella,
I am 5 weeks post op tomorrow.
Michael is the nicest man and he makes everything so easy and stress free.
The out of pocket expense for me between Michael the sleep doc and the hospital was $2,000.
As to the scarring I have just 5 tiny little pink spots left and that is after just 5 weeks !!!
So pretty much nothing, they do it by lap rather than open you up unless they absolutely have to. In fact haven't heard of anyone of late that has had to do that.

I am so very happy that I made this decision and even at 5 weeks know that it was the right choice for me.
I also told everyone but it is a very personal thing some do some don't. Those that will whisper that we have taken the easy way out are truly just idiots. They have no concept of what it feels like to be the person that is overweight that has put themselves through the misery of trying everything and failing. I always find it easier to ignore stupid people LOL

You will get as much love and support as you need here, and an answer to pretty much every question we are a very caring and supportive bunch.

So welcome aboard and congratulations on the decision.

Newbie - South Australia 446871 Newbie - South Australia 217555
Back to top Go down
bella3
bella3

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - South Australia   Newbie - South Australia EmptyWed 30 Sep 2009, 4:13 am

Thanks Girls :)

The reason why i didnt want to say something is a know a few people who have had the lap band and i noticed people talking behind their backs saying that there "cheating" and there just lazy. So im just gonna keep it to myself and imediate family. I think its far from cheating, this was the hardest decision. skinny people have no idea how hard it is sometimes, ahwell though :)

Also how is scarring on the tummy afterwards? is it very big/noticeable??

I know this is the right thing for me. I have tried and done everything!! im hoping Dr France can get me in asap so i can just got on with starting life as the new me :D

Newbie - South Australia 618285
Back to top Go down
nastygirl
nastygirl

Female
Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2009-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - South Australia   Newbie - South Australia EmptyWed 30 Sep 2009, 12:18 am

Hi Bella,

I was sleeved on 14th sept by Dr.France it is the bestbthingbI ever did. I chose to tell everyone as that way I knew I wouldn't back out. Everyone has been so supportive it is fantastic.

I only had to pay $1600 which is Dr.Franes fee but you may have some other expenses depends on your health fund.

Good luck you have made a great decision.

Naomi
Back to top Go down
Adelaide_Jo
Part of the furniture
Adelaide_Jo

Female
Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2009-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - South Australia   Newbie - South Australia EmptyTue 29 Sep 2009, 3:06 pm

Hi Bella,

I am a Dr France fan...my surgery is booked for 30th November..I could have had it earlier but due to work commitments I needed to push it out to later in the year..following surgery I will be taking 3 weeks off work, I haven't had a break for 18 months so no doubt I will crash!

My Mum had a sleeve 2 years ago with Dr France..in fact she was probably a bit of a pioneer for him in this procedure. She is doing really well and her weight has been stable for the past 12 months.

There are many great people and stories on the site, so when you've got a few spare hours/days take it all in and ask any questions.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

Cheers Jo
Back to top Go down
Libby
Top Poster
Top Poster
Libby

Female
Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2009-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - South Australia   Newbie - South Australia EmptyTue 29 Sep 2009, 1:31 pm

Hello and welcome to this fantastic forum Bella.

I wasn't sleeved by Dr France but there are quite a few on here that have been so they will be able to answer those questions.

I so understand you when you say you'd like to buy clothes that you like rather than what fits. It will be nice to be able to wear the current fashion.

I originally wasn't going to tell anyone about having the surgery either, as my dad has no idea what it is like to be overweight and just tells me not to buy bad food, but as the time got closer I thought bugger it and told my small family. They were quite understanding and supportive - even my dad. But I have decided not to tell my work collegues. There are people on here that have told everyone and others that have told no one. It is totally up to you.

Make sure you have a good read of everyones diaries and the pre op and post op topics as there is so much information to take in.

Congratulations on making the first step to a newer healthier you.

Newbie - South Australia 446871
Back to top Go down
bella3
bella3

Female

PostSubject: Newbie - South Australia   Newbie - South Australia EmptyTue 29 Sep 2009, 1:14 pm

Hay everyone

I am really excited/nervous/scared. I am booked in for my first appoinment with Dr France on 9/11/9 and his GP the day before. How long after the first consult until the surgery? I am 21 and weight 130kgs and cant WAIT for my life to start. Being able to go clothes shopping is my one true goal (actually being able to buy clothes that i like rather than just what fits me lol)

whats everyone's experience with Dr France? Ive heard he is really good. Also how much out of pocket expense does the procedure end up costing? i have top cover Private Health. Is that the way to go??

I have also chosen the option not to tell anyone about me getting this procedure except my mum. Have other people done this

Look forward to chattin with you all xx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - South Australia   Newbie - South Australia Empty

Back to top Go down

Newbie - South Australia
Page 1 of 1