Lulu53
14 posters
AuthorMessage
gabriellek

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-07-27

My first post- Hi Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first post- Hi   My first post- Hi EmptyTue 04 Aug 2009, 3:11 pm

:756375

Hey Jelle I think you must have weighed the same or close to what I am now (105kg) and you are my height
5'9 - and I am also seeing Dr Thomas. Sisters in Arms!

I am pretty sure I will go ahead with it - what have I got to lose except most of my stomach.

Dr Thomas is great, very patient, and quite funny.

Scary, but I hope, rewarding. My husband is against it, but I am sure he will be happy with the result.

I shall continue to read and post ... [b]
Back to top Go down
Jelle
Jelle

Female
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-10-05

My first post- Hi Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first post- Hi   My first post- Hi EmptyWed 29 Jul 2009, 3:25 am

Hi gabrielle,
I'm now 7 months sleeved - (dec '08) I had a few - 'what have I done moments' But now Im realising its the best thing ive ever, and probably will ever, do for myself. Its A big operation, and the journey afterwards is not always easy, but in the results come quickly and make every thing seem sooo much worth while!!
Ive lost 34kgs since my surgery - I set my goal at 70kgs, and I'm now 66 kgs - Im 5'9 so this is as low as im wanting to go - and I feel amazing, My main reasons for the surgery were medical - and Ive had all the positive outcomes I could have hoped to have.
I was sleeved my Dr.Thomas - and hes the most amazing and careing surgeon Ive ever had - and Ive had more than my fair-share haha.

So now.. I get to spend my 21st - in a few weeks - as a size 10.. rather than the size 18 I was for my 20th. Which is awesome :) - I also didnt want to tell many people about my surgery - I told my parents of course, and my brothers and sister/closeclose friends - people who would see me 24/7 lol - But in the end I told a few friends/other family members too - because you'll end up needing people for support ( and too- I never realised but some people get upset that you didnt feel you could share something like this with them- it gets a bit political! lol) - so think about telling a few more people other than your husband :) Congrats on making your first steps!
Elle x
Back to top Go down
http://www.ellehobson.com
Max
Part of the furniture
Max

Female
Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2009-03-19

My first post- Hi Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first post- Hi   My first post- Hi EmptyWed 29 Jul 2009, 3:07 am

Go for it, You won;t have any regrets. I'm just on 4 months post op and while it has been a struggle at times and very much a learning journey, I absolutely have No Regrets. It will be the best gift you will ever give yourself.
Max
Back to top Go down
gabriellek

Female

My first post- Hi Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first post- Hi   My first post- Hi EmptyWed 29 Jul 2009, 2:05 am

kiss

Hey everyone, thanks for your replies and encouragement!
Met someone yesterday who has lost 31kilos after having surgery and she was quite open about it.
Quite frankly I don't think I will tell anyone other than my husband!! But maybe that
is unrealistic.

Well dietician today, then Dr Thomas on Monday to see what he says after all the tests etc.

I think at this stage I will go ahead - don't really want to spend the rest of my life this overweight
and I cannot shift it. Just don't have the discipline or whatever it is it takes to do it alone.

Hope you all have a great day!!
Back to top Go down
Moolie
Moolie

Female
Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2009-05-08

My first post- Hi Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first post- Hi   My first post- Hi EmptyWed 29 Jul 2009, 12:22 am

Hi Lulu

I ment PAIN of course but thanks for answering it makes me feel a lot better.

As for Garbirellek we have all been there and done that thousands of times (well I have anyway) and even today people are saying this is too drastic just diet!!! Been there done that!! Can't keep it off!!! I love my family but can't do what is most important to them and that is loose weight to be healthy and keep it off. I was overweight but healthyish until about 18 months ago and then I started to struggle. Up until then I could do almost anything - take part in the Edinburgh Festival, march with a drum for any good cause, go to lots of galas and charity days and still carry on with the best of them/ Then there comes a point when it catches up with you.
Back to top Go down
Lulu53

Female
Number of posts : 18

My first post- Hi Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first post- Hi   My first post- Hi EmptyTue 28 Jul 2009, 4:58 am

Hi Gabriellek,
Yes I had moments of " Oh god! What have I done!" I'm sure most people do. But if you read all these posts they reassure you that it is a wise decision. Noone seems to regret it. I'm at the most uncomfortable phase and I am very happy with what I've done. You aren't changing how your body works - you are just reducing the amount you can eat- your stomach will still work in exactly the same way.
As my surgeon said, you can definitely lose some weight by yourself but 98 out of 100 don't keep it off for more than 2 years- we know this! We have all been there. Now we have way too much to lose in the conventional fashion- he said the average maintained weight loss is 7 to 8 kg. I need to lose 40 kg. You are doing the right thing for your health and well-being.
As for hubby- just give him the information you get and show no hesitation around him- take your worries to the forum.
Back to top Go down
http://[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w8md9hx/]
Jillybean
Part of the furniture
Jillybean

Female
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-12-28

My first post- Hi Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first post- Hi   My first post- Hi EmptyTue 28 Jul 2009, 2:15 am

Hi Gabrielle and welcome to the forum.
My other half was against me having the operation as well but on Monday 20th July he had his sleeve operation with Dr Epari who is Dr Thomas's colleague. His op was done on Monday and he was out on Thursday - he had no drain or leak test and is recovering well. He is going back to work next Monday. He saw the fantastic results I have had, all the health benefits, what I could eat, how much I can eat and decided the op was for him as well.

We have no regrets at all having this op - just love that we can eat anything we want just in smaller amounts and we won't be putting all that weight back on - a great feeling.

Good luck with your decision, keep reading the forum and ask any questions. There is always someone around to answer your queries.
hugs
Jilly
Back to top Go down
gabriellek

Female

My first post- Hi Empty
PostSubject: new girl   My first post- Hi EmptyTue 28 Jul 2009, 1:59 am

Hi,

I am in the beginning stages of the whole process. Been to a seminar, seen the Surgeon, been to the dietician, had a million tests, and panicked and freaked out about the whole thing to date.

Part of me is saying: Just stop eating so much and exercise!!
the other part of me is saying: but you have been doing that for over 30 years and you just get fatter!!

My other half doesn't want me to go ahead, and I am afraid to tell anyone else in case they think I am mad.

Next appointment tomorrow with Dietician, and then Dr Thomas next Monday.

I am wondering if there are any of you out there who have REGRETTED having it done??

Hope you are having a great day so far!

My first post- Hi 697586
Back to top Go down
Lulu53

Female

My first post- Hi Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first post- Hi   My first post- Hi EmptyTue 28 Jul 2009, 1:04 am

Thanks Bushgirl- a great idea. I allow my students to drink from water bottles if they need to but the rule is water only- but they don't have to know do they! What great weight loss you've had. I hope I can be as successful.
Back to top Go down
Lulu53

Female

My first post- Hi Empty
PostSubject: Thanks everyone   My first post- Hi EmptyTue 28 Jul 2009, 12:59 am

It is nice to be made welcome. Now to work out how to post and reply to people etc...
Moolie- what do you mean by 'pin'? Good luck on Thursday! You should be up and about pretty quickly. I was out of bed after about 6 hours or so. Try to walk around the ward as often as possible. Some people on here have had a barium meal before they went home- to check for leaks- but my surgeon didn't do that. He said he has done over 300 sleeves and not one has leaked. So I had no further tests and went home on the 4th day. I only had 1 or 2 sharp pains in my shoulder ( from the gas they use during surgery) and I was expecting it to be bad from when I had my gall bladder removed. So that was a pleasant surprise. So I hope your op is as problem free as mine! Cheers

Height 5' 2" 157cm
Weight before Optifast diet 101 kg
Weight on surgery day 96.9kg
6 days out- 90.8 kg! ( I'm sure that some of this is probably just fluid but it is nice to see on the scales.)
Back to top Go down
bushgirl
Part of the furniture
bushgirl

Female
Number of posts : 523
Registration date : 2009-03-12

My first post- Hi Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first post- Hi   My first post- Hi EmptyTue 28 Jul 2009, 12:57 am

If you can, put the berocca in an opaque drinkbottle and have it on your desk. The kids don't need to know its not all water! I'm a uni student doing Primary Teaching, I have done 2 years, but took this year off to have my op. Since seeing my Dr I am 31kg down, and since the op that is 20-21kg down. I went tothe gym to lose some weight before I had the op. I am feeling fantastic, and I have so much more energy. I can't wait to head back to uni next year, and finish my degree so I can get out there! Good luck and keep us informed!
Back to top Go down
Moolie
Moolie

Female
Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2009-05-08

My first post- Hi Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first post- Hi   My first post- Hi EmptyMon 27 Jul 2009, 9:58 pm

Hi Lulu and congrats on making it to the other side and for your first post. This site is a bit addictive but calorie free lol. I am getting sleeved on 30th so will be joining you soon. How was your pin (got that on my mind just now - wonder why)! Sipping seems to be the way to go my surgeon has said through a staw or off a teaspoon for the first two weeks.

Keep us posted
Moolie
Back to top Go down
CheekyBugger
Part of the furniture
CheekyBugger

Male
Number of posts : 561
Registration date : 2009-05-11

My first post- Hi Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first post- Hi   My first post- Hi EmptyMon 27 Jul 2009, 9:15 am

Hi Lulu, welcome and good on for you taking the giant step of the sleeving!

The best part is now you will have the energy to keep up with the little buggers.....
Back to top Go down
sue
Top Poster
Top Poster
sue

Female
Number of posts : 3609
Registration date : 2008-06-15

My first post- Hi Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first post- Hi   My first post- Hi EmptyMon 27 Jul 2009, 8:12 am

Hello and Welcome Lulu,

Welcome to the other side im 13months out and still at times eat drink to fast but not very often you will work out wat amount is for you in time any questions just ask there is usually someone that will have an answer for you Looking forward to reading your journey

Cheers Sue My first post- Hi 63412
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
allieswans
Part of the furniture
allieswans

Female
Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2009-03-29

My first post- Hi Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first post- Hi   My first post- Hi EmptyMon 27 Jul 2009, 6:35 am

welcome lulu

Look forward to seeing your progress

i am being sleeved next week by Dr Loi.
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2008-11-22

My first post- Hi Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first post- Hi   My first post- Hi EmptyMon 27 Jul 2009, 6:34 am

Welcome aboard Lulu and congrats on being sleeved. Good on you for having the nerve to make your first post. You'll never look back now.

Keep sipping those fluids and take it as easy as you can. I hope you're ready to tackle the teaching and the kids when you go back to work.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Hugs,
Back to top Go down
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female
Number of posts : 1924
Registration date : 2008-12-17

My first post- Hi Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first post- Hi   My first post- Hi EmptyMon 27 Jul 2009, 5:59 am

Hi Lulu, welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of being sleeved!
I am so glad that our posts have helped you to feel confident in your decision to be sleeved.
Good luck with your continued recovery and heading back to work on Friday. Do try to take it easy on yourself.
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

My first post- Hi Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first post- Hi   My first post- Hi EmptyMon 27 Jul 2009, 5:54 am

Welcome Lulu and congratulations.

Nice to know all our ramblings on here have helped you - and certainly keep sipping while at school!

The main thing about eating - often and not much!!! You should basically still be on liquids at the moment I believe - anything you can get through a thick straw.

Hugs
Caz
Back to top Go down
Lulu53

Female

My first post- Hi Empty
PostSubject: My first post- Hi   My first post- Hi EmptyMon 27 Jul 2009, 5:48 am

Hi everyone,
The new me is 5 days old- sleeved 22nd July, by Dr Jorgensen at St George Private (Sydney). Thankyou to everyone who has contributed to this forum- I read everything over the last few weeks but have only just plucked up courage to join. Your information has been so helpful and so positive- you all soothed any anxieties I had!
My operation went well and I seem to be responding the way I am supposed to. I am now just trying to work out how much, how fast and how often to eat! I think I just have to work that out for myself. I am paranoid about getting enough protein and vit. & minerals so my hair doesn't fall out ( something this forum told me about). It is hard to fit everything in over the day.
Dr Jorgensen recommends Berocca daily- but of course this is a drink which takes time to get through.
Not sure how I'll handle it all when I go back to work ( teacher) on Friday. Kids will have to put up with me sipping all day!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My first post- Hi Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first post- Hi   My first post- Hi Empty

Back to top Go down

My first post- Hi
Page 1 of 1