Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile?

Go down 
+3
Box of Jewels
Fat-to-Fit
Lisa66
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Lisa66
Part of the furniture
Lisa66

Female
Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2014-12-29

Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile?   Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile? EmptyFri 29 Jan 2016, 11:13 pm

Hey FTF - there must be something about anaesthetists - the last two I've seen  have been very easy on the eye! I think the one I'm having for this surgery is an older dude, though! I haven't seen him yet.

I forgot that I can claim my anaesthetists fee, so I'm not sure how much I'll get back. I was quoted $1500 up front but when I got the invoice it was only $1200. My surgeon is repairing my hiatus hernia, which will make my surgery longer, so my anaesthetist's bill might end up being a bit more. I'll have to wait and see...

So a revision of what I said earlier. My out of pocket for my surgeon is $3500. for that I get my pre op appointments with the dietitian and in hospital appointments with dietitian. I'm not sure but i think I have to pay a small fee for dietitian  appointments post op. (Have to check my paperwork!) 

Thanks to everyone for their comments on the plates. I might wait until I'm post op and see how I'm faring. There's plenty of time before I'll be back on solid food!
Back to top Go down
Peapodprincess98

Female
Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2015-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile?   Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile? EmptyFri 29 Jan 2016, 3:54 pm

I found it useful. My Dr's office gave me a bowl and a fitbit then I googled the site and bought the pack so that I could have the plate along with the book and the snack book. It has been a good read and resource guide because it really helps with the portions and getting the ratios right because the plate has divisions for each type of food.
Back to top Go down
greenfrog
Part of the furniture
greenfrog

Female
Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile?   Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile? EmptyFri 29 Jan 2016, 10:45 am

This were my expenses from May 2014, from what F2F says, its still a similar price.

Hope this works... https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwor3Mqa_P08LXhlWHEwc3duRjA/edit

A friend of mine who recently had the sleeve done with a different surgeon (I can't remember his name, the one down mornington way) he didn't have to do the sleep apnia study.  I think he said the surgeons package was $4300.  But he may have paid something to his anethesist.  He got 1 or 2 dietician appointments after surgery included.  I think... sorry, it was before christmas when we had this discussion so not 100% sure.

I was sent to a different doctor who organised blood tests, the sleep apnia study and the test were they check your heart.  I guess that was to see if I was fit for surgery... I don't know.

Now I go back yearly for a check up and get sent a referal form to have blood tests about a month before I'm due to go back.  The dietician checks all my 'levels'  I have no idea of the right terminology, and sees how i'm going.  Which I think costs me $90 or $100 and I get 75% back from PHI.

But reading this website, other sites online and facebook, it seems to me about half the people don't ever go back for check ups.

Re: the plate, I use the corelle sideplate for most of my meals.  I love it, its a perfect size.  If i'm having a toeasted sandwhich type of day... I sometimes use my niece or nephews kiddie lightning maqueen or princess plates... it makes me smile! hehe
Back to top Go down
marjo

Female
Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2015-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile?   Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile? EmptyFri 29 Jan 2016, 9:55 am

Im in northern victoria

had to see GP for referral
one visit to the surgeon (paid separately)
one visit to the dietician (included in the 4700 out of pocket)
all dietician and surgeon visits post op are included for 12 months
have to see the anaethetist next week 
had to have blood tests and ecg (medicare)

All surgeons can charge what they like, I dont think there is any regulation on that :(

Had to pay the surgeon 2 weeks prior to surgery, anaesthetist 2 days prior and hospital on the day of (am self funded) 

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Lizzbeth
Lizzbeth

Female
Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2016-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile?   Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile? EmptyFri 29 Jan 2016, 8:43 am

Appears to be overkill ...  Just another bill to add to the pile from my particular surgeon! Oh well ... Off to feed farm animals 😊
Back to top Go down
http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wb0B
Box of Jewels
Part of the furniture
Box of Jewels

Female
Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2015-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile?   Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile? EmptyFri 29 Jan 2016, 8:26 am

No.  But a friend in america had to have a scope and get checked for ulcers etc as standard operating procedure before hers....maybe?  
Or maybe the consultant physician part is just checking your heart and lungs and making sure all is OK for major surgery.  Beats me!  But let me know what he does.
Back to top Go down
Lizzbeth
Lizzbeth

Female

PostSubject: Re: Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile?   Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile? EmptyFri 29 Jan 2016, 8:24 am

Haha BOJ 😂 

No, the 'other dude'  is a 'gastroenterologist and consultant physician' per his business card.  Did anyone else need one of these?

Lizz x
Back to top Go down
Box of Jewels
Part of the furniture
Box of Jewels

Female

PostSubject: Re: Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile?   Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile? EmptyFri 29 Jan 2016, 8:16 am

Is the other doctor dude the anaesthetist?   I didn't have to see mine pre-op, but I wish that I had.
Back to top Go down
Lizzbeth
Lizzbeth

Female

PostSubject: Re: Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile?   Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile? EmptyFri 29 Jan 2016, 8:04 am

Thank you peeps! I am going to add all the costs todate and keep tally and double check that the $6,500 includes everything not covered by PHI incl anaesthetist... Then appears to be within ballpark. 

BOJ ... You also had to see a different doctor. Surgeon gave me the order for the bloods and X-ray which I have already done. Can't see need for this appointment... But then I am not the surgeon ... I suppose 😊

Anyone else needed to see :
1. GP for referral
2. Surgeon who explained options, gave me order for bloods and X-ray. Then told me 10 days opti needed and I needed to see dietician and this other dr dude.
3. See dietician 15 February
4. See other dr dude 16 February 
5. See sleeve surgeon again 17 February 
Then hopefully sleeved 29 February 

I think I am moving to lovely Geelong Lisa66 ... Hope you did not cop any of that flooding! ☔️

f2f ... Always nice to see a good locking face before going to sleep 😇

Lizz xx
Back to top Go down
Box of Jewels
Part of the furniture
Box of Jewels

Female

PostSubject: Re: Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile?   Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile? EmptyFri 29 Jan 2016, 7:34 am

My out of pocket for the surgeon was $5K, and anaesthatist about $1K.

I think it depends on location etc - they can really charge whatever they want out of pocket.  Some do heaps, some don't.  And your PHI only covers you for whatever medicare doesn't cover of the "scheduled" fee.  The out of pocket is whatever is over the scheduled fee.  But, it should cover pretty much all the rest of stuff, like your bed in hospital, theatre fees, nurses etc.

Before I even saw the surgeon, i had to get a referral from my GP.  And then, I still had to go to a specific GP the surgeon works with, who did all the pre-op stuff - as in, gave me forms for bloods, ultrasound of abdo, referral to sleep studies, chest xray etc.  Only after all that was done did i even get to see the surgeon.
Back to top Go down
Fat-to-Fit
Part of the furniture
Fat-to-Fit

Female
Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2016-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile?   Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile? EmptyFri 29 Jan 2016, 7:32 am

I'm in Melbourne, Lizz - with top PHI, my gap for the surgery was $4,500. I think every medical professional, & PHI company  is different ! I didn't have a gap for the anaesthetist, which I knew would be the case beforehand (I think that's the way that particular - also very good looking- anaesthetist operates) I had to pay for the swallow test, around $230, my SIL, same hospital, same surgeon, different PHI, didn't ! I had to pay for pre op dietitian & psych, but GP was bulk billed & pre op surgeon's appt was about $180. I get 1 post op surgeon's appt & 2 dietitian included in the 'package' ( ie part of the $4,500) Any further psych/dietitian/GP appts have to be paid for. So, all up, I am probably just over $5000 out of pocket. My actual hospital bill (which my PHI sent me) was around $20,000 .
Back to top Go down
Lisa66
Part of the furniture
Lisa66

Female

PostSubject: Re: Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile?   Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile? EmptyFri 29 Jan 2016, 7:31 am

I'm in Geelong, Lizz, and I think it's cheaper down here. But it'll be $5K with the anaesthetist's fee.
Back to top Go down
Lizzbeth
Lizzbeth

Female

PostSubject: Re: Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile?   Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile? EmptyFri 29 Jan 2016, 7:21 am

Hey lisa66 ! Did you say $3,500 !? My quote is $6,500 'approximately' which generally means more than ... and I have top PHI!! Am I being ripped off? 

Also wondering if anyone else has to go another doctor 'to check that I am fit for an operation'. I explained that I have just had gallbladder removed so obviously there are no issues there. 

Anybody in Melbourne on PHI let me know what your GAP is please. 

Thanks Lizz
Back to top Go down
Lisa66
Part of the furniture
Lisa66

Female

PostSubject: Re: Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile?   Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile? EmptyFri 29 Jan 2016, 6:59 am

Thanks guys. that's actually very useful advice BOJ. I actually have "entree" plates from my formal dinner set (that I NEVER use) so I could probably just use one of those. I don't think I'll bother with the bariatric one...

FTF - I don't blame you for feeling miffed. I don't really get any extras either. My $3500 is just for the surgeon and it didn't cover the pre op visit, although I think it covers at least one post op visit, maybe more. My pre-op and in hospital visits to the dietitian are covered but there's a fee for the post op visits. There's a separate fee for the anaesthetist...
Back to top Go down
Box of Jewels
Part of the furniture
Box of Jewels

Female

PostSubject: Re: Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile?   Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile? EmptyThu 28 Jan 2016, 10:52 pm

Actually - re the plate.  I no longer use dinner plates for me.  I tend to use a kid plate or a bread and butter plate.  

On my "wish list" is to get myself a nice plate - something small but beautiful, to eat my dinner off.  I haven't found the right one yet.  Each of my kids has their own kid plate (and the oldest is 14) and I'm a bit jealous!   I'd actually love to get rid of the bigger dinner plates completely, but my husband would never agree!
Back to top Go down
Box of Jewels
Part of the furniture
Box of Jewels

Female

PostSubject: Re: Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile?   Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile? EmptyThu 28 Jan 2016, 10:49 pm

Meh on the book.  But I don't really use any cook book etc.

I have the bowl, which i find useful for some things, just because it has the measurements up the side.  Or you could use a measuring cup.  But then you dirty two things.  I quite like having the bowl and would replace it if I broke it.

I was given a different plate - one that's left obvious.  I don't like the obvious plates - I hate in your face reminders.
I was given this plate - one without words etc.  
http://www.amsnutrition.co.nz/products/accessories/portion-control-plates-detail
It's just a tinsy bit bigger than my bread and butter plates.  I don't mind it.  I don't really use it as they instruct though (as in, cover "this" area with protein, etc).  I mostly just use a bread and butter plate for all my meals as a size limiter.  In reality, I'm not a meat and 3 vege eater, I tend to eat lentil stews, or stir fry etc - and I'm not going to section that stuff out, IYKWIM.
I wouldn't buy another portion plate though.

Through another program, I got given a portion planner disc (its pictured here http://oa.hwfl.com.au/static.php?item=template) and there are similar bariatric style products.  I wouldn't bother. Again, it dirties a second thing to be washed, and you have to stick to meat and 3 vege style meals to make it work.  

If I did have to buy a bowl - I'd get porcelain, not melamine, so I could use it in the microwave.
Back to top Go down
Fat-to-Fit
Part of the furniture
Fat-to-Fit

Female
Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2016-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile?   Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile? EmptyThu 28 Jan 2016, 9:51 pm

I just had this conversation with my SIL yesterday, Lisa ! We kept seeing other people walk out of the clinic with plates & bowls, and we've both been feeling a little unsure about EXACTLY how much we should eat, so we thought we should ask about those. Well, she rang the other day and was told it was $20 for a plate & $10 for the bowl - seems a little rich that after forking out $4500 for the surgery plus extras that they couldn't throw in $30 worth of plastic to help you out, especially as there re so few pre & post op consults !!! 

Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile? 68366

Anyway, I was wondering if you couldn't just print off a page with the portions that \are on the plate & bowl and use that ?? 

Sorry, haven't really answered your question, but I think they would certainly be a helpful guide, if nothing else.
Back to top Go down
Lisa66
Part of the furniture
Lisa66

Female

PostSubject: Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile?   Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile? EmptyThu 28 Jan 2016, 9:18 pm

I just went to see my dietician for the first time yesterday. In the resources section of the handout she gave me she's recommended the  Great ideas (Portion Perfection) website and I've just been on there to have a look.

I know many people are given the Portion Perfection bariatric pack from their clinic as an inclusion. I'm just wondering if you have these plates/bowls and or any of the books do you find them useful? I'm thinking of ordering a pack that includes a bowl, plate and the Portion Perfection book. I thought I'd ask here what people thought as I don't want to waste my money if they're not useful.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile?   Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile? Empty

Back to top Go down

Portion Perfection plate and book - worthwhile?
Page 1 of 1